• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Orange Concave" Clemson University (SC) SSBM Tournament - December 3, 2011

CRAXalfie

Smash Cadet
I'm going to make that tournament official. Parking will be limited, so please carpool as much as possible.

I'll try to make an official thread somewhere here. Not sure how to, but I'll figure it out.

Super Smash Bro's Melee
The Groves
351 Arrow Head Drive
Central, SC 29630
When: Saturday, December 03, 2011

SSBM
Singles -$10
Doubles - $10 per team
Spectators - Bring a bag of chips and you're welcome to come!

Schedule:
11:00 AM - Doors Open
11:30 AM - Registration Starts
12:30 AM - Registration Ends
1:00 PM - Tournaments Starts

We need set ups! The more the merrier. But we have adequate set ups for tournament.

We can house a few for the night, but contact in advance. Add me on facebook, Alfie Pineda. I'll make a facebook event as well. Facebook will the best for contacting.

We'll have drinks, but don't expect much food.

Winners:
1st - 70%
2nd - 30%
3rd - Entry money back

Rules:
1. No *****assness
2. Don't be rowdy, we aren't all tournament material, we're just trying to have fun and improve at the same time.
3. Double Elimination
4. Normal Matches will be Best 2 out of 3.
5. Semi-Finals and Finals will be Best 3 out of 5.
6. Friendly-Fire will be on during doubles tournament.
7. 1st and 2nd places in the singles tournament, can't join the doubles. Sorry fellas, we have to disperse the cash to people of less experience.

Please let me know if anything needs to be added. Hope everyone can make it!

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
December 3rd. This is Melee's 10th anniversary date, is it not? (US launch date, that is)

Anyway, I can't make this because it's Clemson and I live in Charleston, but I wish the event the best of luck. NC, flock to this!

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
I'll keep my eye on this. Depending on what I'm doing and who's going, I'll see what I can do to come. No promises though.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Either or, depending on the stage/how much I am sucking with either of my characters. I'm comfortable in both MUs since I've beat L!nguini with both.

sfcfalcon19

Smash Rookie
December 3rd. This is Melee's 10th anniversary date, is it not? (US launch date, that is)

Anyway, I can't make this because it's Clemson and I live in Charleston, but I wish the event the best of luck. NC, flock to this!
me and two others live in goose creek were attending why cant you ?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
YYYYEEEEAAAAAAH GOOSE CREEK.

man i really miss you guys. your hype made me good at this game.

i wanna come back down, but i just really can't tell what life will look like on this date =/

sfcfalcon19

Smash Rookie
yeah sup B? how ya been up there ? me and brandon be preparing for this but really were just ready for some new people to come out ya know ? i was gona ask you how you guys actually rank NC up there like is it tourney based or what? like whats the process?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
look at each persons overall set count against each other for 3 tournaments. then the three panelists try to decide the rankings based on the data that each person has for those tournaments only.

sfcfalcon19

Smash Rookie
look at each persons overall set count against each other for 3 tournaments. then the three panelists try to decide the rankings based on the data that each person has for those tournaments only.
soo who would be our panelists in this tourney ?, i didnt compete in g6, i just went , like besides me (smff), bran, alex, spenser and deshawn none of them went to g6 and 4 the first four of us are ranked besides deshawn, so what then ?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well, the best way to rank players is through tournament play. Hopefully, this tournament will not be the last of it's kind. Have one in clemson, one in columbia, and one elsewhere and your players who want to be ranked should go to at least 2 of the three.

panelists can be anyone sc would deem neutral and obective enough to look at the data and rank the players. You guys know better than I do who that'd be.

ranking off of one tournament is pretty tough, but if you host something every 2 or 3 weeks in one of the locations, it should be easy to get enough data every few months to have a fresh looking ranking.

hope that helps.

sfcfalcon19

Smash Rookie
well, the best way to rank players is through tournament play. Hopefully, this tournament will not be the last of it's kind. Have one in clemson, one in columbia, and one elsewhere and your players who want to be ranked should go to at least 2 of the three.

panelists can be anyone sc would deem neutral and obective enough to look at the data and rank the players. You guys know better than I do who that'd be.

ranking off of one tournament is pretty tough, but if you host something every 2 or 3 weeks in one of the locations, it should be easy to get enough data every few months to have a fresh looking ranking.

hope that helps.
what i think we'l end up doing is haveing one every couple months one in clemson then columbia and then charelston so its fair to the drivers but yeah thanks for that i just talked to alfie about it.

CRAXalfie

Smash Cadet
I plan to cook up a formula and good way to set up the power rankings. I'll have it set up and explain it all after the tournament is over. The starting base for power rankings will be the one Spencer posted awhile back after the Goose Creek tournament.

It'll definitely be a point system. You gain points by beating ranked players, each player according to rank is worth so many points. Only way to get into power ranking is to beat power ranked players. If a rank player is absent during a tournament, another player may have racked up more points than the absent player after a tournament, thus being bumped down.

Points don't get reduced. So losing to any player won't yield any negative effects to your accumulated points, just nothing beneficial.

It's far from now, but every year each power ranked player and anyone with accumulated points will have their points pro-rated to allow newcomers to have a chance to join in the ranks. All accumulated points will be tracked. It'll be as extensive as possible and I'll appoint people to keep track for mistakes and other technicalities.

This system will allow no if's and but's, no arguments about so and so being better than another. No stupid technicalities like "I beat #4, who beat #3, means I should be #2." You will only get points for beating #4 (who MAYBE #3 or #2 at that very moment, giving you points worth THAT spot). If you've accumulated more points than so and so players, then you'll move up. The points will be accumulated and distributed throughout the course of the tournament and the power rankings may fluctuate constantly giving a more accurate point system.

Lastly, only players that live in SC will be power ranked in this state.

I'll come up with the current points racked up by players. I'll also figure out how much points will be given for beating such ranked players.

I'll update with more information.

Sorry I'm jumping the gun on this. I'm trying to make this possible and I'm willing to work this all out. If anyone objects to my authority of making power rankings feasible and trackable, then let me know. I maybe newer than most of you, but I'm trying to restart this scene and get this up!

Sorry if there was an 'existing' power ranking from the previous scene. This is the new scene, in order to get back in, join the tournament!

sfcfalcon19

Smash Rookie
Dam alfie just took over , he said **** yals scene there's a new sheriff in town, good deal oy down side is I'm at the end at #10 but I ain't counting me out yet

:phone:

CRAXalfie

Smash Cadet
Dam alfie just took over , he said **** yals scene there's a new sheriff in town, good deal oy down side is I'm at the end at #10 but I ain't counting me out yet

You'll be fine. I want to make power rankings to 15th place. So people can gain points for beating players ranked 11-15 as well. It's still an honor to say that you're power ranked 15th in the state.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i guess that's moreso up to your state.

NC, with its multitude of players, has flirted with the idea of a top 15, but it's worked better for us as a top 10. we honestly never felt like we had the skill depth to warrant a top 15.

to each their own!

CRAXalfie

Smash Cadet
i guess that's moreso up to your state.

NC, with its multitude of players, has flirted with the idea of a top 15, but it's worked better for us as a top 10. we honestly never felt like we had the skill depth to warrant a top 15.

to each their own!
Makes sense. We'll see how it rolls.

How's my point system sound to you? You didn't go too in depth with how NC power ranking works, but I would assume it's something similar, but not as measurable.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
indeed. it's similar. we have debates about it in the PR thread all the time. especially directly after updates LOL.

points become complicated especially when we have a person like dr peepee around. he will accumulate points endlessly until someone takes his throne. which...may still be a ways off. also, we get into the problem of scaling these points, as taking a set off of dr peepee would appear to be worth more than 10 points compared to *insert our number 2*'s nine points. we also count both good wins and bad losses, so when it comes to a point system, one has to figure out what constitutes a bad loss and how many points it becomes worth.

things become very complicated very quickly when trying to factor all of these things. the debate quickly led into calculus and sometimes further mathematical theories i can't even begin to understand.

soooo we've just stuck with our somewhat subjective ranking of looking at set counts of who beat who and how it all stacks up.

:ganondorf:

sfcfalcon19

Smash Rookie
I think the 15 spots will be ok for now, we got plenty of time to change things up in the future, Chris don't you guys use a point system? I think we should do it like 1st ranked gets 15 points and 2nd 14 points and so on and so forth , so its easy to deal with and things can change quickly , we could also try and do a tourney every 2 or 3 months so there's the accurate ranking and alternate from clemson to Charleston and if Alex and spends wants to include themselves then we can hold one in Columbia too,hopefully it all works out

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
my previous post outlines the kind of system we use.

it's close to a point system, but our panel kind of judges it. giving players a certain amount of points just doesn't work well sometimes. we have concepts of how much beating each person is worth, but a lot of things like attendance becomes hard to factor in when it's just points. maybe some time this weekend i'll sift through our power rankings thread and you can look at the arguments we've had. If you want to look at them, they'll in our power rankings thread right around the date of the most recent update (in this case, 9/5).

there should be a new uproar coming soon, as our next ranking should be out by the end of this weekend.

edit: you are certainly not the first to have such an idea, and once you see the arguments we've had, you'll see how other people point out the pros and cons of such a system much better than I ever can/could.

but i think it can be effective, and in a region that's kind of just starting out, it can be a good start, especially to see where old school and new school stand in comparison to each other.

ALSO: i won't be at this. a southern regional just got announced last week in GA. I need the experience to head down and see what i can do there. here's the thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=313759. I know you guys want to do this tourney, but at the same time, if you guys are willing to travel down there, I believe it will be a very, very significant experience for any and all of you.

Top Bottom