• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions on the voice acting

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Fox's voice is really annoying and doesn't really suit him. The way he says fire is horrible.

I can't think of any other voice that really bothers me. Male Robin's "Time to tip the scales" doesn't have the same punch as the female Robin.

I don't mind the Wii Fit Trainers that much, but that may be because I'm not that familiar with them to begin with.

I wish the Miis had some kind of grunt, they're creepily quiet even when they get blasted off.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
:4bowser:: A disgrace to the real Bowser, Kenny James should slap Sakurai on the face to maybe shake up his brain and make him understand that Bowser shouldn't sound like Godzilla, he should sound like ****ING BOWSER and shout 'SHOWTIME!'.
:4bowserjr:: All the Koopalings actually have their real voices...maybe Sakurai's ears turn the dumb mode down from time to time.
:4falcon:: Classic as always!
:4dedede:: I can sense a certain hate for Metroid and DK on Dedede's voice, I wonder why...
:4diddy:: Sounds nothing like Diddy Kong.
:4dk:: You know what!? Let's grab one of the more timeless and memorable characters ever and completely kill his entire personality and reduce him to a representation of his species! That sure sounds great! I'm sure the DK fanbase will love it! The angry gorilla voices 'make more sense' after all!
:4fox:: He sounds cheesy...I like it.
:4falco:: He sounds cheesier, I also like it.
:4greninja:: Epic! He sounds so serious but so silly at the same time.
:4myfriends:: I FIGHT FOR MY FRIENDS.
:4kirby:: I absolutely love Kirby's new voice clips, he sounds much more adowable~!
:4littlemac:: Those grunts and growls are really cool...he really feels like he's giving it all!
:4lucario:: OH GOD WHAT DID THEY DO TO LUCARIO'S VOICE!?
:4lucina::4robinm::4robinf:: They all keep their amazing VA from Awakening, and they're really good.
:4metaknight:: He sounds slightly more threatening.
:4alph:: I'd like his actual In-Game voice, same with Olimar.
:4palutena:: Stellar.
:4darkpit::4pit:: Stellar, again...Kid Icarus content seems top-notch and made with care and love, I wonder why?
:rosalina:: +u+ She sounds otherwordly~
:4sheik:: I love how much Sheik tries to sound like a guy but when she gets launched she goes all 'HYAAAAAARGH'.
:4shulk:: I'M REALLY FEELING IT!
:4sonic:: Roger Craig Smith rocks...but not as much as he could rock saying YOU'RE TOO SLOW!
:4wiifit:: Let's stretch those shoulders! Let's burn that tummy!
:4zss:: She sounds...hot...?

DISCLAIMER: All the good things about Voice Acting on this game are nullified by DK and Bowser's voices sucking big time. So overall, this game has the worst voice acting of the series because Sakurai refused to listen to the fans who don't like those stupid grunts and roars.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4wario:: Super disappointed with these guys using their Brawl clips again. Mario characters often get new recordings for many different games, but not Smash Bros.? It's bizarre. You'd think Charles Martinet would be elated to contribute new voice clips for his 3 characters. The fact that these 4 will be using their Brawl clips again for the next 5+ years is just... ugh. Feels super lazy.

:rosalina:: Coming from Mario Kart 8's awfulness, Rosalina's Smash voice is pretty good. As was mentioned earlier, I believe it's the same voice actress as MK7/MG:WT. I like that they included the echo again, unlike MK8 that normalized her voice and made her sound far too similar to Peach. Rosalina sounds much more bearable now, so I highly approve of the voice.

:4bowser::4dk::4diddy:: These 3 having generic animal voices again is just unacceptable for me. It never sounded good. And it's even worse with Bowser now that his children are included this time around with their normal in-game voices. They even went out of their way to fix Bowser's posture and make his model more accurate to his appearances in Mario titles, and yet... still using a Godzilla voice. Seriously? I also hate that Diddy has been given a generic chimp voice in not only Smash, but recent Donkey Kong Country games as well. What are they doing with him? Lol.

:4bowserjr::4larry::4morton::4wendy::4iggy::4roy::4lemmy::4ludwig:: Not digging the recycled voices with this group. Because I recognize each of them so well through playing NSMBU, it feels odd hearing the same voice clips again in a game like Smash Bros.. What sucks even more is that Wendy has to use her ****ty, stereotypical, feminine voice instead of her much more likable one from Mario Kart 8.

:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja:: I find it odd that Pikachu, the face of Pokemon, is going with his Brawl clips again this time around, yet Charizard and Lucario recieve new recordings. Charizard sounds fantastic though (pretty much what Bowser should've sounded like...), but Lucario sounds really... lame to me. His Brawl voice was more convincing, with the new one sounding more like a generic anime character (yes, I'm aware of the whole 'Goku's voice actor' thing, lol). Greninja sounds kind of silly coming from its Japanese voice, and Jigglypuff having the same voice clips since 64 is just baffling. Is it an inside joke? Because there's no way they can't get someone to provide new recordings. I prefer the Purin voice 10x's over, ha.

:4fox::4falco:: Now I'm sure I'm one of the few people here to actually enjoy Fox's new voice. Yeah, some of his voice clips are a bit embarrassing (like "Landmaster!" and "Fire!") , but I think he sounds great outside of those. It's kind of nostalgic. However, I feel that Falco lost some of his charm with his new voice. It doesn't hold the same impact for me at all. I mean, "get some"? Really?

:4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4tlink:: Like the first group of characters I mentioned, I'm a bit miffed that these 4 haven't recieved any new voice clips either. It's especially silly when all that needs to be provided for these characters for voice clips are generic grunts and yells that can be done by any experienced voice actor. I'd like to not hear the same voice clips for a character two games in a row, honestly.

:4kirby::4ness:: Love these two's new voice clips. Especially Ness's. It sounds fantastic and makes him feel fresh and new despite having only appeared in one non-Smash game in the 90's.

:4shulk:: Looove iiit. The accent is hilarious and very unique among the Smash Bros. cast.

:4pit::4darkpit::4palutena:: Pit sounds wonderful. I loved his voice in Uprising and am glad to have it return. Dark Pit however sounds like an obnoxious, angsty and edgy teen. It's annoying, and doesn't help me like the character any more. Palutena is decent, just doesn't sound as good as the actual voice actress.

:4littlemac:: I'm not sure if many others have noticed it, but something about Little Mac feels too... Japanese in this game. His voice is very reminiscent of his AT's from Brawl. It's very deep, and it even sounds like he uses some Japanese expressions. Definitely not liking it, as his Punch-Out Wii voice was much more enjoyable. Why does he have the same voice actor across regions? ...I guess they didn't feel it was worth the effort with an essentially silent protagonist, lol.

:4duckhunt:: Other than the lack of the 8-bit laugh, I actually enjoy the "voice" of the Duck Hunt dog. Like the original game, the dog has a generic barking sound effect that it uses with certain moves. It's simple and fits well with the character.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It legitimately bothers me that Marth speaks Japanese, and all other FE characters speak perfect English. A lot of it.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Now, continuing on...

McCloud & Lombardi voice aren't bad completely, but all in all, I don't think the voices work for these versions of the characters, which much older. Their brawl voice were spot-on(I liked them)! Also, they need better lines. "No Problem!" Don't touch the suit." "Come here!" "Firing Up!" and all that jazz.

The more I here the Pokemon's anime voices, the more annoying they sound. Majority, in Smash, at the very bit. The Gen 1 Smashers(#25 & #39) were just reused from Melee, which, compared to Pokepark Wii, is lame. Either the Pocket Monsters sound like actual animals & monsters(like in the games) or they speak properly(like in Mystery Dungeon)! Anything to make that yellow rat less bland and more of an actual character!

Whereas everyone else like Captain Falcon's Voice, I'm the exception! It wasn't bad in the N64, but as the times have passed, I have become irritated with the voice! I rather he sounds like he did in F-ZERO GX, where he had some actual sense!

Like Kirby, Ness has become more incomprehensible that before. And hes' supposed to be an "American?" Well, why not a natural English voice, like Lucas?

Robin and "Marth Jr." ...uh, I mean "Lucina" sounds OK. I'm more ticked off with how little they changed Marth & Ike. The Legendary Hero King, doesn't even get ONE different line, nor acknowledge his No. 1 Fan? What sense does that make? And of course, the Radiant Hero needs better lines than "I fight for my Friends!" All in all, Ike sounds weak.

I'll just say it. Mr. Game & Watch sounded better in Melee, especially his death screams.

Pit got a better VA, but his lines are so pathetic! They can do better than that! Why not lines like this!
"Oh, this fight is ON!"
'You are soooo not ready!"
"I'm getting bored."
Think you can keep up!"
Palutena and Pitoo fall under the same category.

Why doesn't Olimar(and Alph) say ANYTHING! PIKMIN 3 made them so lively and actual characters! Not so in Smash. Thanks, Sakurai!

Wario not say a darn line is not Wario AT ALL!

I'm neutral towards the Miis. If they were to be given vocal sounds, it would probably be in a similar situation like in Mario Kart and we all know how people feel about those sounds!

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
"Heeyands aff mai praaay" - Falco
No.
NO.
It's "Hands off my Bread"
GOD DAMNIT.

Greninja is cute as ****, Kirby is even more annoying than usual, Ness is kind of adorable and everyone else is kinda "meh"
I almost wish they got a new VA for ZSS, but then it would have to be that one from Other M and... uhh... yeah, no.

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
:4bowser: still sounds like a monster. I love it. His voice in this game is better than his previous Brawl voice, although extremely similar. In this game his noises are more distorted and they sound drowned out.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Fox sounds cringeworthy (at least with Fire) and Falco...

It became "Personally, I prefer the air".

It used to be "Pehsonally, I prefeh the ehh."

Also, the way that the announcer says "Mii" is fine, but when that clip is combined with "Fighting Team" to make "Fighting MII Team", it sounds really weird to say the least.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
"Heeyands aff mai praaay" - Falco
No.
NO.
It's "Hands off my Bread"
GOD DAMNIT.

Greninja is cute as ****, Kirby is even more annoying than usual, Ness is kind of adorable and everyone else is kinda "meh"
I almost wish they got a new VA for ZSS, but then it would have to be that one from Other M and... uhh... yeah, no.
Just get Jennifer Hale to do her voice then. Hale was her "voice actress" for the Prime games. All she did was grunt and stuff since Samus never spoke in the Prime Trilogy. People might start hearing Commander Shepard since Hale was the voice for female Shepard.

Or we could get Claudia Black... Nah, too sexy for Samus. :p

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
i'm extremely bothered by Robin's victory screen voice. this isnt related to the voice acting, but the voice is timed poorly to the mouth. ik that it was meant for the japanese version, but it was still done poorly. i also dont know why im bothered by this.. i've seen this happen many times. Probably cuz i don't want my main to have flaws like that :p

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
i'm extremely bothered by Robin's victory screen voice. this isnt related to the voice acting, but the voice is timed poorly to the mouth. ik that it was meant for the japanese version, but it was still done poorly. i also dont know why im bothered by this.. i've seen this happen many times. Probably cuz i don't want my main to have flaws like that :p
Soul Calibur IV was a huge offender of this. Dragon's Dogma too, but I think that was because there was a frame-rate issue or nobody really cared since like Monster Hunter, you tend to just accept quests, leave, finish them, and move on.

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
:4bowser: - I'm kinda content with Bowser's VO in this game. Though to be completely honest I'm more used to his Brawl voice.
:4bowserjr: - Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings have decent voices. At least, Bowser Jr. and Roy do. Haven't heard the others.
:4pit::4darkpit: - Pit and Dark Pit's voices are rather nice. I do like how DP sounds a bit more aggressive compared to Pit though.
:4palutena: - I'm satisfied by Palu's voice in this game. Both the English and the Japanese voices sound top notch IMO.
:4robinm::4robinf: - Never really cared too much about Male!Robin's voice, but I'm absolutely in love with Fem!Robin's voice. The Japanese one I prefer more though, but I do love her English voice (I've gotten accustomed to it after playing Awakening with her first voice option for a while.) Totally not showing any bias here or anything >->"
:4lucina: - Words cannot express how much I love Laura Bailey when she voiced Lucina. Seriously, her voice a thing of pure beauty.
:4kirby: - Kirby's new VO is nice. Like Bowser, I prefer his Brawl voice though.
:4dedede: - I'm more of a fan of Dedede's Brawl voice. His SSB4 voice doesn't seem as good to me, to be honest...
:4fox::4falco: - [Cringing intensifies.] I'm gonna have to jump on the hate bandwagon for this and say Fox and Falco's voices in this iteration of Smash just don't sound as good as their Brawl counterparts. I would've preferred it if we could get the option to toggle the Japanese voices for Fox and Falco in this game though, they sound a bit better.
:4charizard: - I miss Charizard's Brawl voice. His SSB4 voice... just doesn't sound as good as the one in Brawl.
:4lucario: - You wanted Goku? Well, here, he's in the game, just as Lucario. I don't mind Lucario's voice in this game but I'm more accustomed to his Brawl voice.
:4greninja: - Ah, Greninja. His voice tends to get a lot of flak here... but I don't mind it at all. It has a bit of Narm Charm to it and I kinda like it.
:4ness: - Ness' new VO in this game is pretty good. I prefer it over his Brawl voice, actually.
:4wiifit: - I was kinda disappointed when I found out the European/Australian versions of SSB4 got a different voice for the Wii Fit Trainer. I was more used to her NTSC voice, but I may get used to her PAL voice sooner or later.
:4shulk: - Shulk's voice is rather nice. Mmm, dat British accent. <3
:4sonic: - I've gotten a bit used to Roger Craig Smith voicing Sonic after playing Generations for a while, so I guess I'm a fan of his new voice.
Everyone else's voices I'm fine with.

The new characters sound good, and all of the voices that changed are for the better, imo. Though, it sounds like Fox's new voice was something of a practical joke, and is good mostly for laughs.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
:4bowser::4dk: - Still surprised they won't give him a proper voice. Which he has.
:4bowserjr: - Perfect. Same with the other Koopalings.
:4falcon: - Best voice acting in the series.
:4charizard: - I actually prefer this one having growls and roars instead of saying "ZARD ZARD CHARIZARD" and stuff like that, so it's fine.
:4darkpit::4drmario::4ganondorf::4link::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::rosalina::4shulk::4tlink::4wario::4yoshi: - Perfect.
:4dedede: - It sounds like it was recorded with a bad mic. But it might just be me.
:4diddy: - I like him having chimpanzee noises, actually.
:4duckhunt::4metaknight::4zss: - Not bad.
:4falco: - Liked Brawl's better.
:4fox: - WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED.
:4greninja: - I don't dislike it. It suits him, in my opinion.
:4myfriends: - Lifeless, but not that bad.
:4jigglypuff::4kirby: - Adorable, as always.
:4littlemac: - He doesn't really talk much, but Doc Louis does, and he's great.
:4lucario: - I haven't heard his English voice, but the Spanish one isn't that bad, except for a few clips that are awful.
:4ness: - I like this one better than the older.
:4robinm: - There were better voices to choose from, but it's not that bad. :4robinf: is great.
:4sonic: - I haven't heard his new English voice, but the Spanish one is great.
:4wiifit::4wiifitm: - Their Spanish voice is AWFUL. Like... REALLY awful.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
:4fox:: DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE THE DONE TO YOU!?!?!? You sounded great in brawl. Now you just sound....... *BLLLLECCCCCCCHHH*

:4charizard:: I like it over brawl. That is all

:4lucario:: He actually has goku's voice, Sean Schemmel who did Lucario in the 8th movie as well.

:4greninja:: Sometimes I find myself imitating greninja. the way the VA says Greninja like they have something stuck up their nose is funny.

:4shulk:: I'M REALLY FEELING IT! Also I like the nod to Ryen with "IT'S SHULK TIME!"

:4sonic:: Honorable mention for not having "Your to slow" anymore. Truth be told I'm kinda dissapointed.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Fox sounds like an 11 year old nerd adjusting his thick glasses. Sorry for stereotypes but it's just soooo awkward.

Pit is also really bad though. When you hit him with a hard attack, it sounds like you just smacked a deranged rooster. I really don't know how that happened.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
I'm probably one of the few that likes Fox and Falco's VAs in this. Sure, they aren't as great as Brawl but they still have some charm to them. I love everyone else in terms of the voice acting, especially Shulk.

If there's one thing that annoys me, though, it'd be the people that don't even give the English VAs a chance and just say "Japanese was superior". It's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
Do we have any native Japanese speakers here? Is the voice acting really as good as these Westerners assume? For all we know the Japanese delivery could be crap too.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
:4falco:'s voice is okay, but :4fox:is beyond terrible.
That all being said, :4lucina:'s voice acting is awesome.
Thank you based Laura Bailey.
:4robinf: is pretty great too. (I love "Here I go!")

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Fox sounds like an 11 year old nerd adjusting his thick glasses. Sorry for stereotypes but it's just soooo awkward.

Pit is also really bad though. When you hit him with a hard attack, it sounds like you just smacked a deranged rooster. I really don't know how that happened.
Pit sounds exactly the same as he did in Uprising. If anything its just that Pit himself supposed to be somewhat annoying.

XaviortheSavior

Smash Cadet
:4fox: What happened to you, Mike West?
:4falco: I miss the Joisy accent already.
:4pit::4darkpit: Antony Del Rio does an alright job, but it's just not complete without that tongue-in-cheek Uprising writing. Please let there be something like Codec calls for the Uprising cast in the Wii U version.
:4palutena: Disappointing that Ali Hillis couldn't reprise the role, but Brandy Kopp does a good job in emulating her. Again, needs the Uprising writing team.
:4robinm::4robinf: It's weird that, despite male Robin getting one of his voice actors from Awakening and female Robin getting an entirely new actress, female Robin sounds closer to her original game counterpart. The voice directing for this game is just bass-ackwards.
:4lucina: Laura Bailey never disappoints.
:4shulk: The over-the-top British accent definitely works better in a fighting game than a JRPG.
:4sonic: So they used recycled voice clips. On the negative side, no RCS rendition of "You're too slow!" On the positive side, Sonic's new Final Smash quote will probably lead to many Gangnam Style references. (Or at least I hope it does.)
:4lucario: They got Goku's voice actor to voice Lucario, but took away his Kamehameha Final Smash? What a missed opportunity. On his actual voice work, he makes Lucario sound like a dog, which he does look like, so I guess it makes sense.

Everybody else is just grunts or recycled from past Smash games, so I have nothing to say on them.

PlinyTheElder

Smash Rookie
Sadly, I am disappointed in most of the voice actors and changes. Fox and Kirby stick out the most.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Pit sounds exactly the same as he did in Uprising. If anything its just that Pit himself supposed to be somewhat annoying.
Oh I don't mind Pit's voice. There's just a single sound clip, where he gets hit hard... it doesn't sound like a human.... it really sounds like a diseased rooster or something :urg:

Probably can't hear it til you hear it lol and now I can't think of anything else

Last edited:

Minuy600

Smash Apprentice
Fox sounds... wrong.
Sonic got a new voice actor, R.I.P 'You're to slow!'
Kirby sounds diffrent, but not that bad.
Maybe it's just me, but I really don't like Pits voice.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
DISCLAIMER: All the good things about Voice Acting on this game are nullified by DK and Bowser's voices sucking big time. So overall, this game has the worst voice acting of the series because Sakurai refused to listen to the fans who don't like those stupid grunts and roars.
You are literally the only person I've seen complain about such a minute thing, rofl

The new voice acting isn't so much a problem for me as the extremely lazy Brawl voice clip ports are. This game has "rushed" written all over it.

bloodyshadow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8060-5220
As stated above, Kirby is a little distracting. His new "Hi" isn't as cute and... and...... no Falcoh PAHNCH..... WHA????

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Some are good, most are bad. I love Shulk's.

They really should've just kept Sonic, Fox and Falco's from Brawl... And redone Ike's...

I really liked MRobin's in the trailer but in game... Not so much. FRobin is great though

I wish you could mute specific voices. I'd really like to stop hearing WFT talk. Even her grunts and screams...

Martinet great as always though. announcer is great.

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
After learning that :4fox:'s VA in this is the same as Star Fox 64's, I took a moment to think about all the voice acting in that game in particular and it just dawned on me that MAYBE the lines were all filtered for reasons other than just to make it sound like it's all from communicators...

On the other hand, I adore :4ness:'s new voice-over; sounds like he has more emotion~

Last edited:

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
The voice acting is TERRIBLE in this game...

The worst ones are when :4megaman: says "BIDIBIDI BAAA" and "ROCKU BUSUTAAA!" ..... oh wait...HE DOESN'T :(

infomon

Smash Scientist
It may be worth noting that the 3DS speakers (as with most portable devices) emphasize high frequencies and have very little bass/mids. So it's difficult for games to have much deeper sounds. This probably explains why the game focusses on higher-pitched voices and sounds, so you can actually hear them clearly on the 3DS hardware.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Fox's VA is just as terrible as he's always been. You guys obviously weren't paying attention to SF643D. One of the best things about that game is that Fox has the smallest speaking role.

Marth still speaking Japanese when every other Fire Emblem character speaks English, and Marth has appeared in a game in English is ****ing stupid, I don't care how attached you all are to it. Get Spike Spencer back, his performance in the Fire Emblem anime was quite good.

Top Bottom