• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions on the voice acting

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It may be worth noting that the 3DS speakers (as with most portable devices) emphasize high frequencies and have very little bass/mids. So it's difficult for games to have much deeper sounds. This probably explains why the game focusses on higher-pitched voices and sounds, so you can actually hear them clearly on the 3DS hardware.
Which is odd, as some of Ganondorf's and Captain Falcon's voice clips are deeper than before.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
:4ness: Love it for some reason
:4bowser::4charizard: Always prefered their monster/godzilla like roars over the cartoonish ones so love it
:4fox::4falco:.....see every other post whining about them
:4myfriends:Lame, rather hear his japan voice
:4greninja:I really like it unlike most people here, I find it adorable and suits a ninja frog well
:4sonic:I don't mind, least no more side-taunt shenanigans
:4lucario:Well he IS a jackal, and they are based on dogs, so I like it
:4shulk:Funny, nuff said

Everyone else I'm mostly indifferent with....cept with :4yoshi:who's so cute as usual <3

WrappedInBlack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PyroJayBlack
3DS FC
1736-3220-0909
I like all the voices except for how Fox and Falco start off their Final Smashes. I like Sonic's actual voice but I wish that his lines weren't ripped from his recent games... but it makes sense as he's had the same voice in Japan since Adventure so they wouldn't need a new voice in Japan and therefor "didn't give a fuq"

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Greninja sounds just like Gollum, and I love it.

Preferred Zard's Brawl rawrs.

FIYUUUUURRRR!

Falco I don't mind as much.

Hard not to love "I'm really feeling it!"

I hate Robin's lines (female mostly), but both Robins' voices are fine.

Lucario is even more annoying.

Love WFT so much.

The pikmin sound adorable.

Palutena....she sounds really weird.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Voices are God awful.

Sonic - He had a terrible new VA his last one was on point and his SA2 VA is legendary, he fails to sound annoying now he sounds plain bad.

Fox - garbage...

Falco - Goes against his character he's meant to be cocky for crying out loud, he's sounds like a generic computer worker.

Lucario - Tries too hard to be edgy.

Koopalings - Re used grunts and growls from past games. lazy

Ike - Sounds like a joke compared to the japan version. Tai Tenku sounds better.

i can go on and on tbh.
Is it the same VA for Japanese Brawl Ike? If so, I agree completely. JP Ike (at least in Brawl) was fantastic. I don't understand a lick of Japanese but that deep, perfectly jagged voice and excellent delivery. Wish we could toggle the VA, would be such a neat little fan-service feature.

Also, since they cut Snake, can we just have David Hayter do the voices for... like... everyone?

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Gotta say that I am not too impressed with the voice acting. It seems to be very basic, and the only sample I'd say that stands out is the Lucina death screams. Always feel bad when hearing those.
Also, I miss the good old bowser taunt roar from melee. Way better than the brawl & smash 4 versions.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
-Robin's voices in both genders are great, but the male version falls flat.
-Greninja is Stitch.
-Every time Arceus is summoned I want to rip my heart out due to that nerd scream.
-That's not Fred Tatascoire as Magnus,
-Fox and Falco y u so bad.
-No Kenny James Bowser sucks.
-Loving Lucina's delivery.
-Lucario sounds off, and yes, I know it's Goku as his voice.

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
I'm just gonna say I genuinely enjoy Fox's voice. He sounds like a campy cartoon character and it makes me smile
He also has the best KO scream (which is funny 'cause his was also my favorite in Brawl). Boy Robin's is 2nd, Shulk's 3rd. And boy WFT has the best Star KO scream

Also Ness' voice in this game is my favorite yet. Honorable mention goes to his "ouch" KO scream too.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I have to question why did Sakurai give Charizard a much goofier, anime-esque voice that fits him much more and left Bowser and DK like that. I mean, this Charizard actually sounds like Ash's Charizard, I guess that means we have two of Ash's Pokemon on Smash.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
:4fox: Terrible.

:4falco: Not as bad as Fox, but still one of the worst.

:4mario::4luigi::4yoshi::4wario::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink::4metaknight::4marth::4falcon::4pikachu::4jigglypuff: Recycled clips? Good, no need to fix what's not broken.

:4myfriends: Could have gotten a new actor. I have never been a big fan of his voice, even in Radiant Dawn.

:4pit::4darkpit::4palutena::4robinm::4robinf::4lucina::4shulk: Easily the best characters when it comes to voice acting.

:4kirby::4ness: Their new voice clips sound quite good.

:4sonic: Sounds tolerable, but not that great. Still better than Brawl by far.

:rosalina: Good sounding, even though it's not outstanding.

:4bowserjr: Sounds good, same for the Koopalings.

:4wiifit::4wiifitm: Their UK English voice don't sound bad at all. A bit dissonant considering the kind of game, but I guess that's what they were aiming for.

:4bowser: I don't mind his roars, but I wouldn't have minded his voice from the Mario games either. Both are good and capture different aspects of his character.

:4dk::4diddy: Smash manages to be the only game where they still sound believable. Their voices in Mario Kart are horrible.

:4zss: Short lines that actually fit a stoic character like Samus.

:4dedede: Still hard to believe it's Sakurai doing the voice. lol I liked his voice work in Brawl a little better, though.

:4lucario: Sounds different, but still fitting. Maybe more fitting now, considering he sounds more beastly.

:4littlemac: Not much to say about his voice. The grunts sound good. Doc Louis's voice also fits the character well, so no objections here.

:4greninja: Sounds silly, which fits his silly appearance. I like it.

:4charizard: Sounding good as always.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the voice acting quality. The only gripes I have are Fox and Falco's voices, which they could have recycled Brawl's voice clips like they did with many other characters. To a lesser extent, I would have liked if Ike got a new voice, but I don't mind his current voice that much (it's just that cheesy "I fight for my friends" line that I don't like).

Last edited:

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
How to sound like you were hit in Sm4sh: BLAHHFDHGROSTENEGSHIRHHHRHARHRHGERHRGHI Side of fries please DGHHG()I(AUA(GAU(AGEUAGOOJRGAJ

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm somewhat miffed at how the developers decided to recycle most of the veterans' voices from Melee/Brawl to this game. The most glaring examples have been Ike, Captain Falcon, Meta Knight, and Marth, and considering that some of the other veterans have had newly recorded voices like Ness and King Dedede, I don't see why they can't get the same treatment.

But other than that, I think F!Robin and Lucina have fantastic voice acting. Although I loved David Vincent's performance as M!Robin in the trailer, I feel as though he phoned it in for the actual game.

Shulk, Fox, and Falco all sound hilariously cheesy. And Pit sounds like a chicken whenever I send him flying off the screen. :laugh:

Both Wii Fit Trainers sound great, although I think the male VA did a better job, if only because he sounds as though he's in actual pain whenever he's hit.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
:4marth::4fox::4dk::4ganondorf::4bowser::4greninja::4pit::4darkpit:- Don't like.
:4greninja: sounds like he's a foaming at the mouth, rabid drug addict
:4ganondorf: sounds annoying, his Melee/Ocarina of Time incarnation voice was much better
:4marth: speak english already. I can't help but wonder if he had Fox's new voice it would be fitting
:4littlemac:sounds a bit odd too
Everyone else I either like or sounds fine.

AFeralFurry

Smash Cadet
:4lucario: Very good, in my opinion. Sounds a bit better than his Brawl voice.

:4lucina: She sounds alright. I'm getting flashbacks of Final Fantasy XIII, for some reason, but she's a good fit.

:4fox: This one is just... Oh, god, why... Horrible, absolutely horrible. I would have even preferred his Melee voice to this.

:4falco: Still bad, but nowhere NEAR as bad as Fox.

:4marth: Don't fix what isn't broken, that's what I think here. Plus he'd sound silly in English anyway.

:4myfriends: You sound a little bit bored to me, hoped you'd get a new voice... Apparently not.

:rosalina: Doesn't sound very much like fighting noise, in my opinion.

:4robinm: Pretty great, really.

:4robinf: Pretty great, again.

:4link: Little disappointed by the Brawl voice, still disappointed here, but whatever, really. It does the job.

:4shulk:BUSTAH! He has some great voice work going on, really.

:4greninja: ...Eh, could be worse.

GrizzlyEatsKids

Smash Apprentice
NNID
foodonfloor
3DS FC
3351-4506-8996
I haven't payed attention to a ton of the characters' voices yet personally, especially since I'm almost always on Skype, but good grief Fox is atrocious. It's so bad that it hurts.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
:4bowser::4dk::4diddy:Would have personally preferred if they had their more cartoony voices.
:4ludwig::4morton:Don't know what it is about Ludwig's dsmash sound but I love it. Morton's utaunt sounds funny. The rest sound okay.
:4charizard:I wanna say I prefer Brawl's but I honestly forget what he sounds like in Brawl.
:4darkpit::4pit::4palutena:Can't stand the way these three sound although DP is the least annoying.
:4falco:I actually really like his new voice just because of how contrasting it is compared to his old one xD. Old/normal Falco is cocky whereas this new one, it's like he's in an office or he's a lawyer or something.
:4fox:Immediate reaction was to cringe, now I laugh because of how poor it is. Hearing these two get butchered almost makes me glad Wolf didn't get brought back although I would've loved to hear 'You'll be seeing your dad soon Fox!' as a victory quote.
:4ganondorf:It's all reused except for one clip, the one where he gets hit really hard. It's so much deeper than the rest of his clips and stands out in a bad way for me.
:4wiremac:I hardly even know what he sounds like, I stick to the silent, creepy hooded one.
:4lucario:I notice small differences but he sounds fine to me.
:4kirby: Sounds cute ^^
:4lucina::4robinm::4robinf:Eh, Awakening voice acting is Awakening voice acting. It's not bad but...that game puts a bad taste in my mouth.
:4ness:Fresh and new, better than reusing like the majority(?) of the vets.
:4greninja::rosalina:Sounds alright
:4dedede:I hardly notice a difference.
:4myfriends:The pioneer of Fire Emblem voice acting before Awakening went and made it all 'main stream' hype and ****. I see a lot of people wanting his voice changed but I'm fine with it given his circumstances.
:4shulk:I don't really care '-' I mean he stands out which is good I suppose.
:4sonic:Kinda prefer the Brawl one
:4wiifit:A little obnoxious but not as bad as Palutena
:4wiifitm:I'm probably gonna sound horrible for this but he sounds hilarious and it's all because he sounds gay xD.
And the rest are all reused which isn't exactly a bad thing. Better to have an oldy but a goody than have Fox level voice acting.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I might be wrong, but I think Lara Bailey did all of the knockback voices for females in this game. They all sound exactly the same.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Cept for a few guys (:4greninja::4robinf:not male robin :4shulk::4lucina::4pit::4falco:) the voice acting was total booty. Falco sounds alright in this game but the same cannot be said for poor fox. I literally cannot play him due to his ear grating yelps.:4lucario: oh god what happened to your badass voice D:! You sound like you had about a thousand cigarettes in between games yeesh

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
The ONLY character whose voice I find annoyingly grating is :4fox: unfortunately. Not sure why they decided to give Fox a crappier voice given that I personally felt he had a solid one in Brawl, but whatever, I barely use him anyways. :p

Beside :4fox:'s voice, every other character in the game sounds well voice acted and isn't irritating. My favourite voices are:

:4robinm::4robinf::4lucina::4shulk::4pit::4palutena::4darkpit:

A Gray Person

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gray21oh
3DS FC
1719-3271-0480
I think I can agree with everyone that the award for most phoned in voice's are Fox and Falco's VA's. Then again I sorta think someone behind the scene like, I dunno Miyamoto wanted to capture some Thunderbirds-esque feel or something.

I'm pretty disappointed that Sonic's new VA didn't bring in some new lines though you probably can't get a genuinely good "You're too slow!" out of the tone he does his voice at.

Really wished Shulk had Reyn on standby so we could see some Reyn time but other than that, really feeling it is pretty great also... Let's not talk about the way I phrased this.

I guess this game also gave me a wake up call with how Pit's VA doesn't really need much effort at all to use Dark Pit's voice. What I mean is that the grunts are are just really similar to each other with a few exceptions and the tones from some spoken lines can sound near the same. Guess that just comes to show that Dark Pit is indeed the blatantly obvious clone (of course with a personality difference and in my opinion a better off stage game).

Also like how Charizard actually sounds like the fire dragon he is (sorta) instead of repetitively saying it's name though I'm not entirely use to the slightly new grunts for Lucario. Also I wanna get this pun out the way, Greninja sounds like he has a frog in his throat.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, let's see...

:rosalina:: Basically, it's just Rosalina from Mario Kart 7 and Mario Golf: World Tour. At least she has that echo in her voice like in the Super Mario Galaxy games compared to Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8, where they made her sound almost exactly like Peach, something I did not appreciate.
:4link:: His voice reused from Brawl, which I really like. I got no complaints about that.
:4myfriends:: He doesn't sound old in this game. It's just his younger voice reused from Brawl.
:4lucina:: She doesn't sound like the Lucina from Awakening to me. Even the lines she says in the game is way off the market.
:4robinm:/:4robinf:: Male Robin sounds just right to me, although whatever happened to "Time to tip the scales"? Instead we got "Let's tip the scales". Female Robin sounds way too annoying it's so hilarious.
:4falcon:: Awesome and energetic as always, even though reused.
:4ganondorf:: I really like his voice.
:4littlemac:: He sound just like a genuine real-life boxer training for a world championship match at Madison Square Garden.
:4shulk:: I really like his voice, really like his accent and really like "I'm really feeling it"
:4zelda:: Pretty much the same reason with Link and Ganondorf, I really like her voice...although sometimes I wish they'd used her Skyward Sword or her Ocarina of Time voice instead.

Top Bottom