• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions on the voice acting

RADSheikah

Smash Apprentice
Personally I prefer the air I think that the voice acting in Smash 4 is kinda funny mainly because of a few things:
Metaknight sounds like spanish Morgan Freeman
Lucario sounds like he is trying too hard to be Batman
and Greninja sounds like Gollum saying only GRE-NIN-JA

What are your guys opinions on the Voice acting? I love because it is too awkward! :4greninja::4greninja::4greninja::4greninja::4greninja::4greninja::4greninja::4greninja:

nyttyn

Smash Cadet
They used the bad Robin voice imo. That, or his VA just phoned it in, it's kind of hard to tell.

Also RIP Jersey Fox, we will miss you sweet prince. CAHM AHN nintendo, why'd you change his VA?

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
I know some of the other voice actors are strange sounding but the Kid Icarus characters are on point. Antony Del Rio has done an amazing job with Dark Pit and Pit both in Smash and Uprising.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
I really enjoy how Lucina's voices came out, as well as Palutena's.

Though Shulks.. Well, he's a special one. :4shulk:

Edge Maverickz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-4137-3764
Fox's VA rips my heart apart with every word he utters. But Shulk more than makes up for it.

Though, I gotta say, MR.GAME AND WATCH has best VA by far.

Last edited:

Erionn

Smash Cadet
I'm quite sad about no JP voices for the FE:A characters or Shulk, I really dislike their English voices.

Luckily I don't play any of them, but I still have to hear them occasionally.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I can't believe it's Mike West, I can't believe it's Mike West... I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S MIKE WEST! 64 and 64 3D did not have West as that high-pitched, nasally, and annoying! It's so grating... Why couldn't they get Jim Walker or Steve Malpass to reprise him? What sort of studio were they working with that turns a regular voice into this?!

Oh, and apparently Mark Lund is Falco's new voice actor, he's reprising his 64 3D role as Falco and somehow he ends up sounding like Kevin Miller, Sly Cooper's voice actor. What the hell? Did their studio equipment bork or something that it turns people's voices into other people's? Imagine Nolan North doing the voice of I don't know, Marth, and he ends up sounding like Nicholas Cage. At least it sounds okay compared to the screeching chalk that is Fox's.

Spirst

Fox and Falco have been screwed over. I can't take either of them seriously anymore. Sonic's is meh. Greninja's is hilarious.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Greninja is the worst thing ever, and I don't know why Fox's voice actor was holding his nose while he was talking.

The rest is average. Aside from Marth still being Hikaru Midorikawa. That is the best.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Agreed with everyone here on fox's dub voice as well on others and then you have great voices like Japanese link and marth.Just goes to show you on inconsistent the voice quality is for smash :(

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Fox and Falco have been screwed over. I can't take either of them seriously anymore. Sonic's is meh. Greninja's is hilarious.
At least Falco apparently sounds like this which is cool, calm, and just okay to listen to. Fox on the other hand...

Sonic's voice is apparently ripped from Generations and another game. Yeah, they didn't even hire the guy who does Sonic's voice now, Roger Craig Smith aka Ezio Auditore and Chris Redfield.

Brawl had good voice acting while Melee had funky voice acting for some characters. You know it guys, "MISSION KUMPREETO!"

At least Yoshi's still Yoshi.

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
Only complaint i have is Fox. His voice is beyond horrible. Falcos isnt that great either.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Agreed with everyone here on fox's dub voice as well on others and then you have great voices like Japanese link and marth.Just goes to show you on inconsistent the voice quality is for smash :(
Link never needed a "voice" per say. He just need someone to scream, grunt, and sigh for him. :p

It's always fun to listen to Nobuyuki Hiyama and be reminded of Link.

ZAIMOKUZA CRUSHER! SHRYAAAAAAH!

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I just choose to fight against a Fox because he screams so bad, even the "Fire!" shout sounds like a guy who got kicked in the groin. Also Im glad they kept the Ike voice clips from Brawl, because an Aether without the "RAAAAAHHH" scream isn't an Aether for me.

....And now I like to spam Shulk's side taunt... you know why.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I just choose to fight against a Fox because he screams so bad, even the "Fire!" shout sounds like a guy who got kicked in the groin. Also Im glad they kept the Ike voice clips from Brawl, because an Aether without the "RAAAAAHHH" scream isn't an Aether for me.

....And now I like to spam Shulk's side taunt... you know why.
There's no reason to replace Jason Adkins since he voiced Ike since Path of Radiance. Not only that, but he fits Ike so well. And his "RAAAAAHHH" scream for Aether is also one of my favorite things about Ike.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
There's a lot of dissonance. Some of the acting sounds just fine. Greninja sounds how I'd expect it to, the Wii Fit Trainers are hilariously spot-on, and Lucina sounds just dandy. But then you have some incredibly mediocre voice acting. Pit's annoying, cracking voice makes me want to mute the game. Fox is just inexplicably poor and unfitting. Falco's new voice actually sounds pretty good and makes more sense than the random Brooklyn accent he had in Brawl, but I think the VA's delivery is pretty poor, as compared to his Brawl VA. Lines such as "Hands off my prey", "Personally, I prefer the air", and "Had enough already?" sound really phoned-in. I love the new "Get some!" taunt, by the way. It's pretty great.

I think the most disappointing aspect of the voice acting is the recycled voice clips for most characters. Sonic having Generations voice clips, Captain Falcon and Marth still using their Melee voice clips, and most of the Brawl vets using the exact same sounds from that game sort of hurts the feeling of newness and makes the game seem less like the high-budget experience it's supposed to be.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Link never needed a "voice" per say. He just need someone to scream, grunt, and sigh for him. :p

It's always fun to listen to Nobuyuki Hiyama and be reminded of Link.

ZAIMOKUZA CRUSHER! SHRYAAAAAAH!
Exactly,you don't need to hear actual dialogue from link,to identify that the "voice " they gaved him sounds great alone,and that trend carries over into other stuff like no nobuyuki has worked on,like the vids you happily linked to.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
These guys all sound totally on point, with their new voice clips:
:4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4darkpit::4kirby::4lucario::4lucina::4ness::4palutena::4pit::4robinm::4robinf::4shulk::4wiifit::4wiifitm:

:4fox:sounds awful, I kinda wish I could change him to Japanese here, since he stills sounds great there.

:4sonic:sounds fine I guess, but I am disappointed that the clips are all recycled from recent Sonic games. Roger is a great actor for Sonic, so it's nothing to do with him, but some of the voice clips are just a little poorly placed. He doesn't bad at all though. Still wish he kept the iconic taunt phrases though, re-recorded by Roger. Especially since I HAVE heard Roger do them in interviews within various Sonic podcast shows and what not.

:rosalina:is voiced by Kerri Kane here, who also voiced her in MK7 and the recent Mario Golf game. I really didn't like her in either of those games, but she sounds a lot better here. Though apparently the voice clips are just unused ones from past games (and a few ones that were present in past games), and not brand new. And even though I do like Kerri in this game, I think I still would have preferred Laura Faye Smith from 3D World and MK8, for the sake of consistency, and because I think she would be really cool with the echo effect. I really do not understand why they keep changing Rosalina's voice like this either, since all of her voice actresses have reported that they were not too busy to do her again, and that Nintendo simply keeps calling in different ones. The three of them all love the character too, apparently.

Last edited:

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
These guys all sound totally on point, with their new voice clips:
:4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4roy::4wendy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4darkpit::4kirby::4lucario::4lucina::4ness::4palutena::4pit::4robinm::4robinf::4shulk::4wiifit::4wiifitm:

:4fox:sounds awful, I kinda wish I could change him to Japanese here, since he stills sounds great there.

:4sonic:sounds fine I guess, but I am disappointed that the clips are all recycled from recent Sonic games. Roger is a great actor for Sonic, so it's nothing to do with him, but some of the voice clips are just a little poorly placed. He doesn't bad at all though. Still wish he kept the iconic taunt phrases though, re-recorded by Roger. Especially since I HAVE heard Roger do them in interviews within various Sonic podcast shows and what not.

:rosalina:is voiced by Kerri Kane here, who also voiced her in MK7 and the recent Mario Golf game. I really didn't like her in either of those games, but she sounds a lot better here. Though apparently the voice clips are just unused ones from past games (and a few ones that were present in past games), and not brand new. And even though I do like Kerri in this game, I think I still would have preferred Laura Faye Smith from 3D World and MK8, for the sake of consistency, and because I think she would be really cool with the echo effect. I really do not understand why they keep changing Rosalina's voice like this either, since all of her voice actresses have reported that they were not too busy to do her again, and that Nintendo simply keeps calling in different ones. The three of them all love the character too, apparently.

I also prefer the voice of Rosalina in 3D World and Mario kart 8. ( She´s my main in MK8).
Fox sounds really awful, but Falco *Shudders* has the worst voice in the game. His voice is HORRIBLE. I have to play a lot against Falco, because my son is a falco main.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Voices are God awful.

Sonic - He had a terrible new VA his last one was on point and his SA2 VA is legendary, he fails to sound annoying now he sounds plain bad.

Fox - garbage...

Falco - Goes against his character he's meant to be cocky for crying out loud, he's sounds like a generic computer worker.

Lucario - Tries too hard to be edgy.

Koopalings - Re used grunts and growls from past games. lazy

Ike - Sounds like a joke compared to the japan version. Tai Tenku sounds better.

i can go on and on tbh.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just got a good listen to Falco's new voice.

He doesn't sound completely terrible like Fox, but he sounds so dry now and without charm. I miss Brooklyn Falco so much. :c

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
They used the bad Robin voice imo. That, or his VA just phoned it in, it's kind of hard to tell.

Also RIP Jersey Fox, we will miss you sweet prince. CAHM AHN nintendo, why'd you change his VA?
Licensing. Charizards voice is also different..im not a fan of it but they have to hire people to do the job or have the rights to the sounds / voices. Some of the VO was copy pasta from brawl like pikachus voice.

I also hate foxes voice ugghh.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I can't stand both Fox and Falco's new voices, but in the end I think Falco's is the worst of the two. Why?

Because as annoying as Fox's is, his voice actor kind of tries to sound like 64 Fox (and he does ok-ish considering that he did voice him in both the original and the 3DS remake).

Falco on the other hand sounds completely uninterested in everything he says. When I heard him say "personally I prefer the air," I burst into laughter since there was almost no effort in trying to sound like the actual Falco, who's known for his sarcastic personality (keep in mind Falco's new voice actor also voiced him in in 64 3D and did a much better job there).

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
All you have to hear is Fox say "Landmaster!" That's it. That's all I needed to hear to agree with you guys.

A real shame the English voices fall flat this time around. Good thing I don't main most of these guys.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
"This is Fox"
"Land Master!"
"...Cam ahn!"

:4fox: [congestion intensifies]

i cri evertim

RIP sweet child

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
I guess I'm in the minority of liking Fox's voice. It just fits him... or maybe that's just because I was obsessively playing Star Fox 64 3D recently, I dunno.

Falco's is strange because I loved Mark Lund as him in SF643D, yet he definitely sounds different here. Some lines - like the one on the victory screen if he beats Fox - sound really good, but then there's the Landmaster line that's not as good. If he'd sounded just like he did in the 3DS remake of SF I think it'd have been perfect, he had attitude in that game that worked well. I still think he's all right in general in Smash though.

Both Robins + Lucina sound great, as does Pit and Dark Pit. In fact, Antony Del Rio is so good as them that it almost makes me want to give KI: Uprising a try.

Sonic is just there. Not that Roger Craig Smith is bad, but I really miss Griffith as Sonic. But that's a complaint I have for the whole Sonic series and not just here in Smash. To Smash's credit, I think the voice clips they reused for RCS are pretty fitting.

I still wish we could have the English dub "Kirby Right Back At Ya!" King Dedede voice. It'll never happen, but I can dream.

Also, did Ike get new clips? I know he has the same VA, but the "I fight for my friends" line sounded different and made me laugh for some reason.

Last edited:

espio87

Smash Ace
Shulk's VA is perfect, but maybe I'm biased because of how much I love the British accents... :rolleyes:

Ness's feels weird, I know it's the same VA from the previous games but re-recorded. It's just the years of being used to how he yells his attacks that makes me feel uneasy, but I'll get over it.

I would have liked the option to switch to japanese voices for Lucina and Robin, I always play like that in Awakening and listening them speak English doesn't feel the same.

Misinko

Smash Cadet
Fox's VA is absolutely terrible. Sounds too phoned-in and try-hardish. I don't like Roger Craig Smith as Sonic, but when he's grunting he's not terrible.

As a whole though, the VAs sound really artifical, almost like SFxT's cast, where it seemed like they were trying to imitate the energy put out by the Japanese cast, but failing miserably. There's a few exceptions of course, like Mario, Robin, and Link, but the cast just doesn't do a good job overall. I don't like the a announcer very much. It sounds like he's trying to he cartoonish and ham-handed, but he has a bit of a serious edge to his voice, and It really ruins the effect.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
:4bowser: :4diddy::4dk:Personally I don't mind Godzilla, King Kong and a regular monkey.
:4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig: Don't find anything bad about this devil spawns.
:4falcon: Good as always, even though Ilike the 64 voice more.
:4charizard: F*ck the anime.
:4darkpit::4pit: They are great.
:4dedede: Why can't he have his Back at ya! voice? Sakurai does not sound convincing enough...
:4duckhunt:: Let it pass.
:4falco:: I find it better than Joey Wheeler voice.
:4fox:: WTF HAPPENED!!???
:4greninja:: WHY THE HELL HE SOUNDS LIKE GOLLUM?!
:4lucario:: Why does he sound like a drunk guy making dog sounds?
:4kirby::4ness:: Perfectly fine.
:4palutena:: Not bad.
:4lucina:: Perfect job.
:4robinm::4robinf:: I feel they are imitating Ness in an over the top way....Still good though....
:4metaknight:: Why can't he have an Spanish accent?
:rosalina:: Let it pass.
:4shulk:I'm really feeling it sounds hilarious. Nothing against him, really.
:4sonic:: Hate it.
:4myfriends:: Hate it.
:4drmario::4gaw::4ganondorf::4link::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4olimar::4pacman::4peach::4pikachu::4rob::4samus::4sheik::4tlink::4wario2::4villager::4wiifit::4wiifitm::4yoshi::4zelda::4zss:: Whatever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom