• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions on sportsmanship

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
To angry mods: I did search and find a similar thread but it was ancient :)

Right. I expect most of you know what sportsmanship is and know that it applies to ALL games, sports and competitions alike. My friend (AIKO) the other day once said to me that if you were playing and told your opponent- I give up, I'll just stand here and you can fully charge smash attack me. After which the player KO's the opponent whilst he's charging. Is this good sportsmanship? The answer is obviously no. My friend argued that the game only 'knows' winning or loosing and that it was a good mindgame. This is kinda ridiculous to meas the game only really 'knows' inputs from the controller and nothing else. Lying to your opponent to win the match is pretty low.

Now I don't know to what extent exactly smash tournament players take sportsmanship. I haven't been to any tournaments yet so I don't know if it's normal to introduce yourself before every match and shake hands afterwards,but I thnk it's a good thing to do. After all, if we did just (in a tournament) sit down play a match win/loose, get up, and leave then it would'nt be any different to playing the mindless CPU's.

Opinions?

Fiiii

Smash Apprentice
Technically, it's legal, just low. Hopefully next time you won't fall for the same thing. It's essentially the same tactic as other mindgames, just a bit more extreme. That being said:

Ha! You fell for it! Moron...

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
I don't really understand what you mean about "lying to your opponent", I never was in that kind of situation...

However, at the tournament scene, it is pretty customary to introduce yourself and shake hands afterwards. Now I've only been to one tournament with a limited amount of people, so I don't know for certain if sportsmanship extends elsewhere (I assume it does).

Duha

Smash Journeyman
well at tourneys find who you play or they will find you. Then while walking to the Setup you can introduce yourself and if double blinds are legal and you want to double blind tell them so here. before you sit down (for the really good sports) shake their hand and tell them good luck. Then you play. I **** talk when i play so i am talking the whole match most people sit their like zombies while they play but really doesn't matter once the fight starts you play to win and that is all that matters put everything on the line.

Then after the match if you win shake hands tell the good match even if it wasn't and walk away. If you lose shake hands and walk away. Some people cannot stand losing but they will always shake your hand but after you tell them good match they will always have something to say negative you should then reply get better. Because usually when they are mad after they lose and you tell them good game they will say i should have one. This is an insult on your game so tell them that they are a n00b or that they suck in an abstract way, they will understand and it will get under their skin.

The last part is totally optional but i do it because if people can't congrat me on a win they don't deserve to be treated with respect.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Anything outside the context of the game (i.e. talking, physical contact, random movement) that is done to distract or "trick" your opponent would get you a warning or disqualification in a tournament.

And I'm yet to not shake an opponent's hand after a match (unless I already know the person really well and it's understood or something).

shboke

Smash Journeyman
spaceballs i never seen anyone get disquialifed for talking i mean seriously why wouldnt u

talk to your opponent lol and ya you should shake hands at tournments but i only do it in a

tournment match unless i know the person as a friend or a rival(TOM!) but i think that is low

saying you surrender i would have no respect towards that guy and if he says he

surrounders than i would still just kill him lol

Sliq

Smash Master
spaceballs i never seen anyone get disquialifed for talking i mean seriously why wouldnt u

talk to your opponent lol and ya you should shake hands at tournments but i only do it in a

tournment match unless i know the person as a friend or a rival(TOM!) but i think that is low

saying you surrender i would have no respect towards that guy and if he says he

surrounders than i would still just kill him lol

You sir have just ***** the English language, and I wish a long and painful death on you.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Anything outside the context of the game (i.e. talking, physical contact, random movement) that is done to distract or "trick" your opponent would get you a warning or disqualification in a tournament.
Notice the bolded part. Talking = ok, talking or anything else done in an attempt to prevent your opponent from concentrating =/= ok.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
LOL if you seriously lost a tournament match that way, then that's your fault for being dumb. I'd just attack him while he's trying to talk to you, because he's distracting himself. If you can't ignore people, get headphones or something.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Never EVER trust your opponent. If you lose to a trick like that then it's not them that should be considered low, but you considered dumb.

Things like that can be good tricks if you don't overuse them. If you're in just the right position and quickly yell "dodge!", there's a good chance your opponent will do it.

Give no quarter, because none shall be expected in return.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Technically, it's legal, just low. Hopefully next time you won't fall for the same thing. It's essentially the same tactic as other mindgames, just a bit more extreme. That being said:

Ha! You fell for it! Moron...

But who is the real moron fiii? Where did I say In my post that this happened to me? It hasn't fool. I was just talking about people doing it. It's just sad to know that people resort to lying and tricking when you should win by being a good smash player.

Moron

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Maybe I'm tapping the traditional Japanese psyche, but I dislike saying "good game" after matches. I've only been to two tournaments, but I feel that sometimes when you get crushed having the winner say good game is slightly rude. I don't take offense, because it isn't intended, but I prefer a simple "thank you" at the end of the game instead, because even if I get crushed, I've learned something from even a "bad" game.

Yeah, but whoever let that happen to them is kind of foolish. ..

pdk

Smash Lord
just ignore it when your opponent says that sort of thing then, easy

and hell, that's what you get for charging a smash any other time so...

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
This is how I look at it.

Do you have to specifically sit down and introduce yourself to your opponent everytime you face them? Technically speaking, no. Cause to play said opponent, 9 times outta 10 you have to figure out who they are somehow. I've never been to a tournament where the pool captain was like "Ok, you play you, go".

So do i think you have to sit down and be all buddy-buddy with your opponent? Not specifically. Does it hurt? Not at all. That's how you meet people.

__

As for talking.

I for one, talk. (IHSB might be able to attest to this). I am a loud *** mofo. One of my trademarks is slamming my visor on the ground. Do i do it out of malice or bad intention? Not at all, that's just how I am. If I get hit with soemthing "gimp" (i.e., a tipper, a CC'd peach downsmash, shinespike) I'll cry and complain about it, but i try to sound as sarcastic as possible, because it's not all that serious. Infact, i usually turn around and compliment them after i throw out my string of random insults, cause the "gay" stuff is usually nice, but you're just on the receiving end of it.

What if I get a hard earned win? If it's somebody I know, better believe i'ma rub it in their face, but again; only in good fun.

Some people are just like that, and if you dont like it, you can either ask them to stop, or tune them out.

Most polite people can actually be quiet if you ask them to. I've been asked to be quiet once, and it didnt hurt my feelings at all, I know I talk too much. I kinda expect the same from everybody when I go to a tournament.

It's not like i want silence, but if somebody really is screaming their head off, being distracting for no real reason other than to try to throw my game off, i'd expect em to calm down.

____

So all in all, do I think no introduction and talking through a match constitutues poor sportsmanship? Not specificially.

Some people are still not very social, and they might have to talk a lil bit to feel "comfortable" when they play.

However, if somebody is being an *** about it, then yeah that's poor sportsmanship.

--edit--

lol next time i go in a tourny im gonna wear headphones and listen to music. but sometimes i like to talk during a match.
I have one thing about wearing headphones, and this actually happened inversely at a tournament I went to.

What happens when you go against characters with audible cues?

Maybe I'm crazy, but this is what happened to me.

I went to a tourney and went against a peach one round. Just so happens, the TV we were on had no sound.
Now, I didnt wanna sound like a ***** and ask to move to a TV with sound, so I played a round. Didnt think much of it. But the first round was on Kirby64. So the problem was, as i was looking at myself to recover, I couldnt really tell if peach was pulling anything without looking directly at her.

Doesnt sound like a big problem, but what happens when you have to sweetspot a ledge? You have to look away to make sure you're not gunna get stitchfaced as you come back.

That's just a personal thing I have against headphones. Dont read much into it. D:

RyjinX

Smash Apprentice
To angry mods: I did search and find a similar thread but it was ancient :)

Right. I expect most of you know what sportsmanship is and know that it applies to ALL games, sports and competitions alike. My friend (AIKO) the other day once said to me that if you were playing and told your opponent- I give up, I'll just stand here and you can fully charge smash attack me. After which the player KO's the opponent whilst he's charging. Is this good sportsmanship? The answer is obviously no. My friend argued that the game only 'knows' winning or loosing and that it was a good mindgame. This is kinda ridiculous to meas the game only really 'knows' inputs from the controller and nothing else. Lying to your opponent to win the match is pretty low.

Now I don't know to what extent exactly smash tournament players take sportsmanship. I haven't been to any tournaments yet so I don't know if it's normal to introduce yourself before every match and shake hands afterwards,but I thnk it's a good thing to do. After all, if we did just (in a tournament) sit down play a match win/loose, get up, and leave then it would'nt be any different to playing the mindless CPU's.

Opinions?
But Kratos does it...jk

I think the lowest thing you can really do to someone is edge-hog. Punching someone in the face is pretty much the equivalent.

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't call it bad sportsmanship if you are naive and gullible enough to follow what someone says. This can easily be evaded by simply ignoring and continue to fight your opponent. Remember, just because they said something doesn't mean you have to do something about it. So if you aren't FORCED to do it, I wouldn't blame it on them...although blame can be put on both. I don't tend to talk during a match, maybe the occasional "whoops" or...worse than that. And laughing at someone for doing something stupid.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think the lowest thing you can really do to someone is edge-hog. Punching someone in the face is pretty much the equivalent.
So you just help your opponents back on to the stage then? Edgehogging is fair game, as long as my opponent doesn't cover my eyes or unplug my controller then I don't really care. It takes skill to edgehog, some people try it and just own themselves.

Anyway, it's the guys fault for getting tricked, I'd just combo the hell of the guy instead of charge a smash attack.

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
Edgeguarding isn't lame...the whole point IS to keep your opponents OFF the edge, right? And the more angry they get that you do it, the more flustered they get. And then it makes everything easy...
It's one's opinion, so I suppose it won't change it.

But to get on topic, yeah...you shouldn't, or whoever did, should be careful...

Sliq

Smash Master
But Kratos does it...jk

Wow, I didn't know people from Gamefaqs were allowed to make Smashboard accounts...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Better not go to any tournaments, you'll get edgehogged a lot. It's not like your opponent is supposed to help you on anyway, the goal is to knock you off and keep you off, by any means necessary, even overkill.

Anyway, no offense, but you're a scrub. Scrubs complain about stuff like that, there's even a guide about it, I'll try to find it.

http://sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
Heh, at the tournaments around my area people scream at each other throughout entire matches (SFL forever?). Really, when you're playing people you don't know, then you shouldn't listen to anything they say until the match is over.

Plus, even if you were really gullible, wouldn't it seem a little odd for someone to just give up in the middle of a tournament? If they REALLY wanted to then they'd just L+R+A+start anyway.

RyjinX

Smash Apprentice
Better not go to any tournaments, you'll get edgehogged a lot. It's not like your opponent is supposed to help you on anyway, the goal is to knock you off and keep you off, by any means necessary, even overkill.

Anyway, no offense, but you're a scrub. Scrubs complain about stuff like that, there's even a guide about it, I'll try to find it.

http://sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm
I'm not complaining about it. If someone does it to me I do it to them, I try NOT to do it.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
I never thought edge hogging or edge hogging was a lame way to win. It's a brilliant strategy, simple but works wonders. If you don't do that with people who are even semi-decent at this game, you'll get burned and lose 95% of the time.

Now, for the guy who "surrendered", that was a lame move, but at the same time that trick shouldn't have gotten anybody. If he just stood there you should have acted like he was still on the offensive/defensive, never let your guard down. EVER.

Aiko

Smash Champion
haha, I knew this would come up here eventually!

For those who haven't totally noticed, I was the one who brought this up with Bulletbill. First of all, this never happened. Not in a tournament. not in a friendly. it was a hypothetical situation, and secondly, if you knew me, I'm not the type to "give up." Even if I say I give up, I never mean it. But on to the discussion in hand.

I admit it's pretty low, its probably even bad sportsmanship, but at the end of the day, you shouldn't fall for it. But hey, if it does ever happen to you, you'll learn not to fall for it again. And by reading this thread, you'll never fall for it (hopefully!).

@ RyjinX: Edgehogging is lame? Guess you like losing then huh?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wow, I didn't know people from Gamefaqs were allowed to make Smashboard accounts...
I resent that. I love gamefaqs. I have much more fun posting there then I do here.

And sorry I will try and keep the noobs to stay there XD.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I've read threads in gamefaqs, they're almost always ******** because the ******** moderaters on that board don't like sensible, non-******** threads with an actual topic. They think talking about tiers has no topic and threads like "The person who gets the last post gets to be Mario" have a topic.

Hell, people there still think you can't unlock Mewtwo, oh yeah, and most of them are scrubs, they think WDing, JCing, SHFFLing or anything NOT in the manual is cheating [exmaple: edgeguard or edehog].

So, yeah, Gamefaqs = fail SWF = awesome.

/rant

TGM

Smash Lord
I resent that. I love gamefaqs. I have much more fun posting there then I do here.

And sorry I will try and keep the noobs to stay there XD.

u have more fun there cause your horrible. horrible players flock there. the elite flock here! and do tgm combos.

Duha

Smash Journeyman
hi hylian

and ryjinx i don't think edge hogging is lame it just flipping sucks when you get edge hogged I main jiggly so i don't ever go for the edge much. but when i play with marth and fox and peach and i get edge hogged i want to stick my controller down there throat. But then again i play jiggly and used to not getting edge hogged. But still when i do get edge hogged i just wonder what i could have did different to not let it happen. part of the game.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Think about it this way, if edgehogging wasn't in the game you'd get edgeguarded, which is normally a guaranteed death to the edgeguardee.

Sliq

Smash Master
Whenever I play friendlies on Yoshi Story, I always challenge my opponent to a shy guy murdering contest. Shy guy KO's comes up in the points screen (10 for each one murdered), and whoever has the most wins, regardless if they won the match...

I know that doesn't have a whole lot to do with the topic, but Ankoku mentioned points so I remembered that...

Top Bottom