• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Operation Starfall: Bringing Life to SMRPG Again

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Idk if this sounds weird but have you guys considered a large-scale art project? Typically big collab projects between a bunch of artists gets a lot of attention. I was thinking y'all could do like an SMRPG Zine or, and I know this sounds weird, but tarot cards/trading cards. Tarot/trading cards are easy to manage projects while still showing off each artists talent, though they are a bit more expensive to produce then a zine.
A reanimate of “Rawest Forest” might be good? Those reanimates seem to go viral. Those Dover boys. Confound them.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Idk if this sounds weird but have you guys considered a large-scale art project? Typically big collab projects between a bunch of artists gets a lot of attention. I was thinking y'all could do like an SMRPG Zine or, and I know this sounds weird, but tarot cards/trading cards. Tarot/trading cards are easy to manage projects while still showing off each artists talent, though they are a bit more expensive to produce then a zine.
I love the idea of making SMRPG themed tarot cards! Would totally be down to help with the artwork if more people are interested.
A classic playing card deck would also be pretty cool imo considering the aesthetic of SMRPG's magic attacks.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
morning gebros what going on?
Late response, but nothing much. Assumed Direct goalpost has been moved, so everyone is still going to be confused about which character's coming next.

I love the idea of making SMRPG themed tarot cards! Would totally be down to help with the artwork if more people are interested.
A classic playing card deck would also be pretty cool imo considering the aesthetic of SMRPG's magic attacks.
That works, since Nintendo's history is tied heavily into playing cards.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Do anyone have a link to the SMRPG run at AGDQ? Or has nobody upload it on youtube yet?

I sadly couldn't donate during the run , I didn't had internet at that time and well... I still live with my parents and they are very cautious with using money on internet... I know AGDQ use this money for charity , and that our donations also had the role to spread awarness for OP Starfall... But my parents wouldn't agree for this anyway.

If the run is uploaded on youtube , I'll give it a like and share it on twitter.

I was also recently thinking of making a twitter thread (I doubt I'll be able to do a video with my old computer...) about how Mario RPGs(RPG ,Mario and Luigi , Paper Mario) could be used in Smash. Beeing Fighters , AT , music , stages , spirits , items , ect...
I'll probably be starting with Mario RPG , I'll share it here once it's finished;
However , beware , it will be in french (since I'm... Well , french)so the google translation may be janky.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So I haven't been reading every single post here, I have to ask: What is Operation Starfall currently doing? Are we still in a planning or advertising phase, or is there something going on?
Right now, we're still trying to spread the word and put our names out there. We gotta raise our numbers in this early stage before we try anything huge, after all.

D

Deleted member

Do anyone have a link to the SMRPG run at AGDQ? Or has nobody upload it on youtube yet?

I sadly couldn't donate during the run , I didn't had internet at that time and well... I still live with my parents and they are very cautious with using money on internet... I know AGDQ use this money for charity , and that our donations also had the role to spread awarness for OP Starfall... But my parents wouldn't agree for this anyway.

If the run is uploaded on youtube , I'll give it a like and share it on twitter.

I was also recently thinking of making a twitter thread (I doubt I'll be able to do a video with my old computer...) about how Mario RPGs(RPG ,Mario and Luigi , Paper Mario) could be used in Smash. Beeing Fighters , AT , music , stages , spirits , items , ect...
I'll probably be starting with Mario RPG , I'll share it here once it's finished;
However , beware , it will be in french (since I'm... Well , french)so the google translation may be janky.
Take a look at slopdop slopdop 's last post in the Geno thread, and that is where he posts the SMRPG run

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I actually tried to assign SMRPG characters to tarrot cards when I found out about the card motif thing earlier and made that connection to Persona. Never showed what I came up with because I was unable to assign all the cards, but I did find out that the party members fit very well in the first 5 major tarrot cards.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Tarot Cards is a great idea. I’m a pretty trashy artist but my friend is great at it, he’s even had experience with making tarot cards before. I could ask him to make a mock up if you guys would like, we’d just have to figure out which characters would be on each individual card.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly? I think a huge PDF zine would be a better idea to start with before a full hard cover book. I'd love to get a lot of big artists on board for something like that. We could work on a book after, if need be.

Here is the timeline I've roughly drafted in my mind so far:

Jan-Feb: Advertisement, further planning, social media creation, outreach, smaller events. Majorly playing it by ear at this point.
March (anniversary of SMRPG's Japanese release): Physical letters to Nintendo and Square Enix. A large event of some kind, perhaps that zine idea. Start taking submissions for such a thing, whether it be writing, fan art, or whatever else one can creatively come up with. Could give it the month to give artists time to make whatever it is they want to.
April: Release of said zine.
May (anniversary of SMRPG's American release): Something else, some kind of event of some sort. Con seasons roll in around summer time, iirc, so cosplayers and con-goers can prepare SMRPG materials and Operation Starfall materials. Pre-E3 preparations for some kind of event then.

This is kind of just a rough idea of the kind of processes I'm thinking of here. Obviously, it needs a lot more filling out and proper ironing out, but it's a bit of a vague idea of the calendar we've got kinda in the works.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Unrelated to tarot cards (Brilliant idea btw!), but shouldn't all of us try to reach prominent figures on Twitter? For instance, Alpharad always hits the trending tab on YouTube, so tweet to him asking for support? There are over 1000 supporters now, after all!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Unrelated to tarot cards (Brilliant idea btw!), but shouldn't all of us try to reach prominent figures on Twitter? For instance, Alpharad always hits the trending tab on YouTube, so tweet to him asking for support? There are over 1000 supporters now, after all!
1k isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but in terms of how things look for our progress, it might make a few names like Alpharad and D1 curious. I can't be entirely sure if now is the time to reach for those names just yet, but prospects are looking better for doing so. That being said, I believe someone already reached out to Alpharad's business email, right?

Nicnac

Smash Ace
1k isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but in terms of how things look for our progress. That being said, I believe someone already reached out to Alpharad's business email, right?
Yeah, 1K isn't a lot in the bigger picture, but if half of those people tweeted at Alpharad or tried to get #OperationStarfall trending we may get somewhere. I reached out to Alpharad I think 4/5 days ago and haven't heard back, so I think Twitter and (unfortunately) the YouTube Comments are our best bet for getting noticed.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, 1K isn't a lot in the bigger picture, but if half of those people tweeted at Alpharad or tried to get #OperationStarfall trending we may get somewhere. I reached out to Alpharad I think 4/5 days ago and haven't heard back, so I think Twitter and (unfortunately) the YouTube Comments are our best bet for getting noticed.
I don't want to spam the guy. I think we should just ask in well constructed way from all of us every once in a while till we get a concrete response.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't want to spam the guy. I think we should just ask in well constructed way from all of us every once in a while till we get a concrete response.
Yeah, let's give it a little time without a response before we send someone to message him on Twitter. Bombarding him with tweets and comments will only look like a turnoff more than anything. We don't want to pester people either.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Right now, we're still trying to spread the word and put our names out there. We gotta raise our numbers in this early stage before we try anything huge, after all.
Makes sense, I'll just have to be patient. Can't wait to start working on a fan project though!

slopdop

Smash Cadet
Take a look at slopdop slopdop 's last post in the Geno thread, and that is where he posts the SMRPG run
Heh my apologies on the inconsistent posting. I seem to have posted the clip in this thread and the run on the other :S

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Heh my apologies on the inconsistent posting. I seem to have posted the clip in this thread and the run on the other :S
Oh no, that's alright :)

Speaking of Alpharad, I hadn't watched his PP reaction yet, but I just did now....

the PP reveal was just so sad. The worst fighter reveal ever.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Oh no, that's alright :)

Speaking of Alpharad, I hadn't watched his PP reaction yet, but I just did now....

the PP reveal was just so sad. The worst fighter reveal ever.
It almost makes me wonder if it was intentionally made to be a massive tease. Alpharad isn't the only one. In fact, a lot of people saw the beginning of PP's trailer and started thinking, "GENO?!" ... only for it to be the plant.

No dissing on PP, though. I love that sucker. It's just sad, maaaan.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
We need to contact voiceover Pete so he can spread the word about the operation.
Attention, all epic Super Mario RPG gamers, Geno needs your help to get back into mainstream media and all he needs is your credit card number, the three digits on the back, and the expiration month and year. But, you gotta be quick, so Geno and SMRPG as a whole can finally get the spotlight they deserve!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Because it was talked about before, I wanted to share my ideas for what characters could represent certain tarot cards. Keep in mind, it's not a complete list, and there is probably characters who better fit other cards, so I am open to others ideas.
0/XXII — The Fool: Mario

I — The Magician: Mallow

II — The Priestess: Geno

III — The Empress: Princess Toadstool

IV — The Emperor: Bowser

V — The Hierophant: Frogfucius

VII — The Chariot: Boshi

XIII — Death: Culex

XVI — The Tower: Exor

XVIII — The Moon: Belome

XIX — The Sun: The Goomba family

XX — Judgement: Smithy’s Factory

XXI — The World: Star Road

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Signed! now add me. I feel bad to hurt my boys like this I have just been WAY too busy playing SSU and Spyro to finish SMR :confused: But I will try
Signing it has added you, so I don't know where you're getting at, I'm afraid. If you mean to be added to the supporters list for Geno in Smash, you'll have to consult with PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate , as they run that topic.

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
I feel bad to hurt my boys like this I have just been WAY too busy playing SSU and Spyro to finish SMR :confused: But I will try
Signing it has added you, so I don't know where you're getting at, I'm afraid. If you mean to be added to the supporters list for Geno in Smash, you'll have to consult with PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate , as they run that topic.
No, I am already signed up for that one I mean this one

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Been away for a bit so catching up.

Mallow could easily work like this - he can have a short jump, then do a second jump that separates himself like he does in SMRPG when casting a spell. Wherever his upper half lands, he poofs to there.

Geno could work via rockets out of his legs. He's semi slow, but instead of jumping he just rocket propels himself in a direction the player is pointing him and can keep picking up moment as long as he times his next "jump" just as he lands.
I like your version of Geno... but it also makes me think a little bit of sprite editing and I can make a decently profitable Flappy Bird Clone about a palette swapped parody character of Geno named Vito (give him a red cape and a blue swirly thing coming out of his hat.)

Or a girl one named Stella (it’s italian for star. Works)

Won’t even feel bad about the stolen and appropriate Mario assets because they’re technically stolen and appropriate flappy bird assets.

Last edited:

dreamstar_g

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7952 9587 6387
Alright question for you guys: how would you feel if alphadream remade smrpg in the same style as the m&l games? Similar to how they are remaking their other games now

D

Deleted member

Alright question for you guys: how would you feel if alphadream remade smrpg in the same style as the m&l games? Similar to how they are remaking their other games now
In terms of the graphics, I would like that. I still want SMRPG to keep its battle system and story though

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I could dig that too, as long as they kept the dark parts and settings/tones of the areas. We don't need Smithy's realm to suddenly be less menacing or eerie.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, there was a person who made Smash tarot art and it was pretty cool. A lot of the cards were not based off of actual tarot cards though, but the art was still great.
If we do make a SMRPG tarot, do you think we should stick strictly to the actual cards or be open to new interpretations?

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, there was a person who made Smash tarot art and it was pretty cool. A lot of the cards were not based off of actual tarot cards though, but the art was still great.
If we do make a SMRPG tarot, do you think we should stick strictly to the actual cards or be open to new interpretations?
I think we could easily make things workable within the limit of the actual cards. With that being said, I wouldn't be against opening up the options some more in case it's at all necessary. I think that, with the content of SMRPG, it will be easily possible, though.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think we could easily make things workable within the limit of the actual cards. With that being said, I wouldn't be against opening up the options some more in case it's at all necessary. I think that, with the content of SMRPG, it will be easily possible, though.
True. My biggest hurdle when trying to come up with ideas for the cards is still conveying the meaning of the cards. Look at the Strength card for instance.

In many ways, Queen Valentina and Dodo would be great for this image. But the meaning behind the Strength card would contradict the characters heavily.
Just to preface this whole conversation, I am getting most of my knowledge of tarot cards from my TV Tropes and Persona knowledge, so I may be misconstruing some things. I ain't no fortune teller, I have never even held a tarot deck of any variety.

Top Bottom