• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online skill vs. Offline skill

Tomanator33

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone one here played online against a good player and felt, If there was no lag I could have won/ done better/ not got that SD. The list continues, but my point is do you feel that there are people that are good online but that they have played almost only online and they can seem to time everything and you cant really time anything. I keep playing good people that either cant time crap (like me) or they are great regardless of any amount of lag. Do you guys feel that playing with lag is just another skill point to get over if you get good playing online vs. off line??? Any input would help a lot here guys.

nicksaninja

Smash Rookie
Yes Yes Yes thank you. I've only played over wifi a little bit and I can't get the hang of the tiny bit of lag that happens before you move. I can't stand it! I can't play like I do normally

Nelroks

Smash Rookie
i also had problems with it at first. but after a few days i got a little used to it and it became pretty easy. although i think everyone will agree that your best game comes offline.

Ørion

Smash Ace
Absolutely. I have read multiple times that even if you cannot see the lag doesn't mean its not there in slight attack delays that could affect priority etc. Online is fun and can be better training than against computers, but I feel tournaments held online would not show true demonstration of skill.

GaleForce

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I can sort of adapt to the lag after a bit, too. Although a few times it's prevented me from scoring a key KO in matches because of timing issues. Even slight ones.

A couple of times I have wondered if I would've beat somebody if the match weren't online, but in most cases I'll never be able to find out.

DragnSlayr

Smash Apprentice
I tend to adapt fairly quickly when it comes to controller lag, but I will admit it really takes some getting used to.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
online is different from offline play that is true. but don't forget even though your game will be better, so will your opponent! Remember you both are under the same conditions. You are thinking you can beat his online with your offline. But you can't think offline vs offline cause you have no experience against his offline.

JVMetaknight

Smash Rookie
online is different from offline play that is true. but don't forget even though your game will be better, so will your opponent! Remember you both are under the same conditions. You are thinking you can beat his online with your offline. But you can't think offline vs offline cause you have no experience against his offline.
Unless you're like me, and the only issue that forces you to play online is distance between you and your friends. Stupid college.

As it stands, I can't wait to whup up on my friends back home. I'll try to remember to post back with my findings.

The same-room ability to taunt and yell at your opponent certainly figures into these 'mindgames' that I keep hearing so much about.

Dragonoise

Smash Apprentice
At times, the lag can really mess you up. It can be annoying if you're not used to playing with the lag, so I think it does require something a bit more to tune it out.

I got used to playing with the delays, so I don't even notice the small delays anymore even though it does cost me the match sometimes.

Darkhart

Smash Cadet
I agree.

Its apparent most people people are better, like some said before.
So is your Opponent.

That could go either 2 ways.
Opponent has the better of the lag.
You have that 1 sec delay....meaning no advance techs.
Vice versa.

Online Tourneys should be region based.

SheikahBlood

Smash Cadet
I let my brother play brawl on Wi-Fi for his second time or so...he is pretty good and well...
HE GOT ***** BY LAGG, but it was funny to see how bad his timing was compared to his offline play.
*laughs at brother in the background*

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
It's not really the lag (although it is present) for me that brings down my game. I sort of have this psychological thing of the opponent just sitting on his couch, laughing at me every time I fall or get KO'd. There's no interaction, no identification of your opponent, which is really what I sort of push off of when I play. No lie, I'm probably at least 1.5x better off line than I am online because of this alone. I'm sure I'll cross this "hurdle" eventually but it's still a pain knowing that people you know you can 4-stock when you're in the same room get close to owning you in an online match :(

1337z0r

Smash Cadet
its frustrating, because you get use to the lag and then when you play offline sometimes you forget theres no lag

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely, I can't play wolf online. It's impossible for me to grab the edge with wolf in a laggy match. Now ike, that's different. I think he plays great online. Charge a fsmash just a little bit and the people come runnin. The lag stops them from fixin the little mistake of oh wait turn back turn back! Offline flip flop the 2. My ike is bad and my wolf is beast.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
The online lag absolutely ruins my game. I play a very precise game with lots of combos and with just the smallest lag is all goes to ****.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
I'm used to the input lag...so much so that offline matches are now the ones that throw off my timing :p. (not for more than 20 seconds though...thank god :D)

I never went to any tournaments and i mainly play online with forum friends....since i'm not too big on this game (jump ultimate stars is my competitive tournament level-play game...and tekken :D) and since most of my friends suck at it...so yeah i suppose it's all what you get used to.

shal

Smash Apprentice
i have lag but its better to get good at off-line matches cause u may own online but nvr on off-line so practice!!!

stfunerds

Smash Apprentice
I mostly play offline, but I've started playing online and there seems to be a lot of lag, opponents are always red circle afterwards, effecting my character's movement and timing it feels like.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Online matches are always good for learning your mindgames and just general practice, but when it comes to reflexes and timing, never bother learning it online.

Offline gameplay is obviously better. If you are given the choice of online or offline, choose offline. if you are given the choice of online or nothing, then online is good.

eazail

Smash Apprentice
It seems that people are forgetting that the world doesn't revolve around them. What I mean by that is that they think that during the fight, they are solely the ones at a lag disadvantage when clearly both fighters suffer from it. Usually the person that can better adapt to the lag will win. Its all about adapting to small differences. I play both online and offline btw.

Remember, if you are worse because of lag, your opponent is probably worse as well. Don't act as though you are the only one who has that excuse. Man up and accept responsibility. :)

paSTAR

Smash Cadet
Me and my friend are pretty much neck to neck on offline matches. Constantly trade stocks until someone gets a bit of a lead.

Online however, it gets sad and he loses atleast ONE stock because of the lag/buffer thing. I two/three stock him online.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I am very good offline, but online, I am moderately challenging, I play mostly with people from my reqion to minimize lag, I have a few blue dot connections with my friends, so lag is barely present, but when I play against someone who is far enough for even a tenth second delay can't do anything as good as I do offline.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Some characters are better equipped to deal with lag is what I think it comes down to. Really you and your opponent have the same issues so you can't really say that you would've won if you lost because of lag because chances are you would've lost anyways. I know this isn't true in all cases but by and large it is. For example:

Projectile spammers have an advantage because approaching via dash -> perfect shield -> dash -> perfect shield is much more difficult. Thus you have to resort to more crude forms of approach.

Sweetspot moves are MUCH harder to land (Falcon's Knee comes to mind since I main him).

AAA combos are harder to control because you might let up in time to not get punished but by the time your character stops your opponent has Fsmashed you.

Metaknight's attacks are harder to break and/or punish (Tornado clinks come to mind).

Edgehogging is harder because it's almost impossible to get that perfect edgehog where you time it so that you climb up just as your opponent would hit you with their UpB and take just long enough that they fall just below the edge before you're done climbing up. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten hit and sometimes killed because of trying to do that.

Overall spammers/campers have a big advantage. Gimp deaths and meteors are also buffed because you fall further before being able to react/save yourself.

In the end online is a much different game, but it's not different in the sense that some players have advantages over others straight up. It all comes down to character matchups in my opinion.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I see it this way: If you blame lag for losing, you must equally praise lag for winning. The reason is because the person on the other side could say, "I lost because of lag!" I don't like lag, and I am certain that I would perform better if there wasn't any. I also don't like spammers, which makes things worse.

Azuro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THTB614
It seems that people are forgetting that the world doesn't revolve around them. What I mean by that is that they think that during the fight, they are solely the ones at a lag disadvantage when clearly both fighters suffer from it. Usually the person that can better adapt to the lag will win. Its all about adapting to small differences. I play both online and offline btw.

Remember, if you are worse because of lag, your opponent is probably worse as well. Don't act as though you are the only one who has that excuse. Man up and accept responsibility. :)
The thing is, lag can be different between two people in a match. After the stuff you and I went through on MKA, Eaz, you should know that, lol.

In Brawl, one could have horrible button delay, while the other player plays perfectly fine. That kinda stuff is hard to adapt to, where one player is able to play at their fullest just fine, while the other has to struggle with the timing of his attacks due to the delay.

nogalicious

Smash Cadet
I was just having this conversation with my friend. I feel I do better offline .. He used to lag A LOT and I would get so frustrated playing with him, but now he has a lan adapter. It reduced the lag by a lot and is **** near offline quality. I'm gonna buy one soon.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I've got used to the inputlag, but when I play some people, it feels like they don't have to deal with it as well. They play so quick it's almost unbelivable. "It shouldn't be possible with the lag online!" I've thought for myself. I've tried to play as fast as I can online, but the inputlag just destroys me. If I'm hoping to win online, I have to play slowly, because otherwise I'll lose control of my own character. It really pisses me off.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I dont think its possible not to get lag, once me and my friend put our wiis right next to eachother and played on 2 different tvs on Wifi.. still lagged.
Your right, the servers lag, not only the connections...

i allways see this because i play more offline then online so when ever i make the swich its like trying to use my shoe as a phone....

aequitas.veritas

Smash Apprentice
yeah i agree with the original poster completely. im tired of practicing vs lvl 9 cpu's and inferior friends. i go on wifi occasionally to practice my combos on people and can never time ****. Nintendo, fix your **** and make it better!

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
omg quik story. i was snake is a crazy match with lag im talking 15 seconds for every 2 game seconds. I'd go up to people and hit em with a fully charged RPG I got +12 KOs i saved the replay and watched it in full motion it's hillarious. *end anicdote*

On a bad connection online play requires you to do press a button about half a second before the game responds requiring you to plan and predict ahead. People who play alot of online have become very good at this and it's a good skill to have on or off line. CONCLUSION play more online and you'll get better.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
Online play is good training. It's very good training in fact. Once you get used to button lag and then you go and play offline, you play at a faster pace because the button lag isn't there. The problem is, once you've played offline enough and you get back on, you have to get used to button lag again. I find it very useful for training, especially if you're playing somebody good.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Offline is, of course, going to unleash the greatest potential in a player. Lag online is sort of like a handicap, but like many other handicaps it can be overcome. If the lag is horrible/freezing than no...all bets are off...but if it's bareable/virtually lagless....then it only takes me a match or two before I get used to it. I think online shows skill...but only when the lag is limited.

So yes, online I think does show another skill point, it shows how well you are able to adabt.....though it probably isn't as meaningful at tornaments but might be....training under different situations and all. ;)

Tomanator33

Smash Apprentice
I cant adapt to online play, I feel even when I win that the match was terrible since I could time nothing. Also I feel sometimes that people play so much online that act as the lag is a natural part of the game while to me i cant do squat.

Azuro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THTB614
I was reminded today how bad lag could get, and how it can also be lopsided lag where only one person experiences it. 1 second delay in all my inputs, but the other guy says his felt fine. I was utterly destroyed by it.

The guy wasn't a slouch, but if I can't even Dair with Lucario until a second after I'm nailed with a Uair from CF...something's wrong here.

Top Bottom