• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online- Nintendo isn't taking baby steps.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Yes I did, what's so bad about wanting a way to communicate [outside SWF] ? Isn't that what online is about in the first place?
And that's exactly the point ive been arguing with Mars-, learn to read please.

Page4 if you're still lost... >_>"

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
It's actually going backwards. This is the first Nintendo wi-fi game where you can't even know who you're playing. And instead of improving on MSC's amazing wi-fi, they don't.

It's probably best of 3 time matches with items.

*sighs* Alot of you are going to complain that I'm complaining, but I don't care. Online play is very important nowadays, and Nintendo fails to realize this =\
I'm still don't get it. Why does Bungie, Microsoft, Halo, and Xbox have so much success in the online department, and yet Nintendo struggles in this department?

And Halo 3's Xbox Live online gameplay isn't glitchy in the least. I just got finished playing it yesterday and it played out fine as usual.

I'm still don't get it. Why does Bungie, Microsoft, Halo, and Xbox have so much success in the online department, and yet Nintendo struggles in this department?

And Halo 3's Xbox Live online gameplay isn't glitchy in the least. I just got finished playing it yesterday and it played out fine as usual.
Microsoft contrubutes alot of money for their online services, which is why people pay for it. Nintendo has a FREE online service, so you can't expect high quality X-Box live service for free.

And a few more things:

1. People shouldn't complain about Brawl online because it was never intended to be a mainstream source for competative playing for obvious reasons (lag).

2. Brawl's online services are exactly what we wanted; to be able to play people via smashboards.

2."We’re planning a number of services that make use of Wi-Fi, but we’ll reveal them gradually with the other modes."

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't think anyone in there right mind would play online competitively, 2 frames of lag would be enough to throw off any real competitive match.

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
I don't think anyone in there right mind would play online competitively, 2 frames of lag would be enough to throw off any real competitive match.
Then the competitions should be locked to a certain region or maybe even continent.. like a tourney should be only for example North America. or even US

BentoBox

Smash Master
Microsoft contrubutes alot of money for their online services, which is why people pay for it. Nintendo has a FREE online service, so you can't expect high quality X-Box live service for free.

And a few more things:

1. People shouldn't complain about Brawl online because it was never intended to be a mainstream source for competative playing for obvious reasons (lag).

2. Brawl's online services are exactly what we wanted; to be able to play people via smashboards.

3."We’re planning a number of services that make use of Wi-Fi, but we’ll reveal them gradually with the other modes."
And you seem to forget that Nintendo -chose- not to invest much money in the department because they thought that there wasnt big enough of a market for online games on platforms?

1. So now a game has to be intended for competitive play because if not, half-assing it would be justified? I don't see how adding a lobby, or getting to actually see the names of your opponents contribute to lag in any way. Do you?

2. I guess I'm the only one thinking that this could be much more than a way to play ppl on these forums if Nintendo weren't so lazy.

3. I don't see how adding a variety of services would refer in any way to them re-working on what they've already presented.

Hell, you can find lots of F2P games on the internet with better setups than this. Stop covering it up.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I dunno, if Nintendo were to actually implement lobbies and communication with strangers, they'd feel pretty forced to higher a team of moderators, to keep up with their "no creeps" policy. Using this method of zero communication, they don't have to pay anyone to look after things 'til the end of time (which would probably be the lifespan of this game), and they don't have to worry about people cheating over the ranking boards. They can just leave the Wi-Fi connection idle and never worry about it again. On to making the next game.

I'm not saying this is a good or a bad thing, I'm neutral because this little stnank doesn't bother me, but that's just some reasons that I think Nintendo is the way it is.

Ryudragon29

Smash Journeyman
And you seem to forget that Nintendo -chose- not to invest much money in the department because they thought that there wasnt big enough of a market for online games on platforms?

1. So now a game has to be intended for competitive play because if not, half-assing it would be justified? I don't see how adding a lobby, or getting to actually see the names of your opponents contribute to lag in any way. Do you?

2. I guess I'm the only one thinking that this could be much more than a way to play ppl on these forums if Nintendo weren't so lazy.

3. I don't see how adding a variety of services would refer in any way to them re-working on what they've already presented.

Hell, you can find lots of F2P games on the internet with better setups than this. Stop covering it up.
1. Adding a lobby does bring lag, the names don't

2. Nintendo extreme security won't allow us to chat with random people. The pre-set taunt are probably enough for them.

3. You'll never know.

Those F2p aren't as popular as Brawl obviously. They pay barely the cost for a small lobby, that a small limit of people can use. If Nintendo had to make one, they would have to pay the big price to maintain a large lobby and some moderators, since it's a free online service they can't afford to do this.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Nintendo should have a f2p service and one you can pay for that isn't half *****. I like how people ***** about how you have to pay for XBL when it's only $4 a month. If you can't afford $4 a month you shouldn't be spending money on games anyway, that's just the way I see it.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
There's just no excuse. Nintendo is marketing toward younger kids and a general audience instead of catering to hardcore.

It's not complaining - you'd have to be absolutely ******** to think that in this day and age it's OK to have no voice chat, no rankings, no names, or other basic online fundementals.

Let's pretend that now, a company releases a TV that plays only in black and white. WTF? We have better technology! This is almost what Nintendo is doing; failing to release software that uses technology that has been around for years. I remember in '98 I was playing Unreal online with more options than what we're seeing with Brawl.

The hardcore are upset, but if you're one of those people who blindly ignore what other companies are doing in the industry, that's fine. You can continue living in that fantasy.

As for me, I'm sort of pissed.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
There's just no excuse. Nintendo is marketing toward younger kids and a general audience instead of catering to hardcore.

It's not complaining - you'd have to be absolutely ******** to think that in this day and age it's OK to have no voice chat, no rankings, no names, or other basic online fundementals.

Let's pretend that now, a company releases a TV that plays only in black and white. WTF? We have better technology! This is almost what Nintendo is doing; failing to release software that uses technology that has been around for years. I remember in '98 I was playing Unreal online with more options than what we're seeing with Brawl.

The hardcore are upset, but if you're one of those people who blindly ignore what other companies are doing in the industry, that's fine. You can continue living in that fantasy.

I've been thinking about the online in Brawl. Yes, it definitely falls short in comparison to better online service like Xbox Live. Like I've said, the Wii may have a headset coming out later to talk to the people on your friend code list. Oh, and Sakurai got rid of rankings because it wouldn't be fun to play with them, or so he thought. I think that's false. Games like Halo have rankings but people still have a lot of fun competing with each other and having occasional custom games. You'd think that they would learn from that. Well, we just have to stick with what we got. At least we got online and I can go up against you guys.

Puffs

Smash Ace

Color TV's don't spam profanity and BS.

Ryudragon29

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo should have a f2p service and one you can pay for that isn't half *****. I like how people ***** about how you have to pay for XBL when it's only $4 a month. If you can't afford $4 a month you shouldn't be spending money on games anyway, that's just the way I see it.
There's some people who wish they could pay but don't have a credit card... I should have one at my age...

I've been thinking about the online in Brawl. Yes, it definitely falls short in comparison to better online service like Xbox Live. Like I've said, the Wii may have a headset coming out later to talk to the people on your friend code list. Oh, and Sakurai got rid of rankings because it wouldn't be fun to play with them, or so he thought. I think that's false. Games like Halo have rankings but people still have a lot of fun competing with each other and having occasional custom games. You'd think that they would learn from that. Well, we just have to stick with what we got. At least we got online and I can go up against you guys.
If you spent many hours on the Nsider MKDS board like I did. You would see that ranking was indeed a big deal...

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
Color TV's don't spam profanity and BS.
Its simple, have a system where you could report people. If someone gets 10 reports in a week (from different users), they get banned for a week. Kinda solves the problem without needing moderators and the like.

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
I'm dissapointed in Nintendo with the internet stuff they do... They try and make it "Safe" which i guess is good since nintendo is aimed to younger kids, but it sucks cause u cant chat with anyone on games, and on teh DS and im pretty sick of FC's...

TheMightyDorf

Smash Rookie

I agree 100%. What possible reason could there be for making the online version of this game a piece of crap? This game + great online mode = NOBODY HAS TO PLAY ANYTHING ELSE EVER. Unfortunately, without ranking or names or replays, that basically means that the online is only another way to play with your friends, which, in my opinion, defeats the purpose.

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
Here is what i think, nintendo is trying to appeal to casual gamers, most of them being in the older ages. This means that why the heck should they care about our so called safety, when actually it's not as safe anywhere else on the internet. Nintendo should have a policy telling people that they are not responsible for that stuff... Honestly Nintendo is taking baby steps and they are still very behind in EVERYTHING except the wiimote... Graphics, Online features and many other things. Nintendo seriously needs to start working a bit harder on these things or else they will lose in every way, the only thing keeping them alive is their loyalists and fanboys... Which despite being probably 0.1% of the population of the world, will still probably give them alot of money, around ten to 100 thousand$ for 0.1%...
Darn it someone needs to make nintendo learn their lesson. SSBB will have a bad online system, i'm not expecting much from it either. I just feel that Nintendo should try a bit harder to make their gamers happier. Again older gamers mean more money. And making us pay for their online system wouldn't be a problem, they'd make a ton of money and not only that but it'd be a huge sell out!

Sorry for the block of text

Revven

FrankerZ
The way I see it is that Nintendo wanted a simple service that anyone can access. Me, being someone who doesn't have a credit card or a way to pay for a better online service wouldn't be able to pay for the service if it weren't free. I'd have to ask my parents to, I don't think they'd want to. Also, Sakurai said over a year ago that if online were to happen there wouldn't be any leaderboards, lobbies, or the like because [insert reason here I forgot].

Point is, this was known a whole year and a half ago and we shouldn't have expected anything better than it when Sakurai told us there wouldn't be leaderboards. Everyone just blanked it from their minds... and that is why they're disappointed now. Having been an avid DS Wi-Fi gamer for awhile I'm satisfied with this. Sure, voice chat and the like would be better, but c'mon! Were you honestly expecting it? Way to get your hopes up.

Nintendo does a lot of stupid things, but, does it shoot them in the foot? Nope! It won't hurt Brawl's sales in any way like the PS3's prece tag and its game line up does. And that's all that matters. Anything else added to online beyond what they've done now is extra.

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
The way I see it is that Nintendo wanted a simple service that anyone can access. Me, being someone who doesn't have a credit card or a way to pay for a better online service wouldn't be able to pay for the service if it weren't free. I'd have to ask my parents to, I don't think they'd want to. Also, Sakurai said over a year ago that if online were to happen there wouldn't be any leaderboards, lobbies, or the like because [insert reason here I forgot].

Point is, this was known a whole year and a half ago and we shouldn't have expected anything better than it when Sakurai told us there wouldn't be leaderboards. Everyone just blanked it from their minds... and that is why they're disappointed now. Having been an avid DS Wi-Fi gamer for awhile I'm satisfied with this. Sure, voice chat and the like would be better, but c'mon! Were you honestly expecting it? Way to get your hopes up.

Nintendo does a lot of stupid things, but, does it shoot them in the foot? Nope! It won't hurt Brawl's sales in any way like the PS3's prece tag and its game line up does. And that's all that matters. Anything else added to online beyond what they've done now is extra.
Hmm you sort of got me thinking about something,
There COULD be a ranking system! On the nintendowifi.com site, we find all t hat stuff concerning our wifi needs and connections, they can use that?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
There's some people who wish they could pay but don't have a credit card... I should have one at my age...
I know how it feels I had that problem at one point, F2p services are normally good enough to tie people over until they find a way to pay

It's not about expectations, this is in general. I've felt this way since PS2 and Xbox went online. GC had one online game that no one played, that was Phantasy star online. Nintendo needs to realize this isn't 1991 anymore, they have competition, they have a bar to set or follow now or people will quickly realize there are better things to get.

If Nintendo didn't sell out to casual audiences they would be doing as well as they did with GC.

I thought I'd seen worst sell outs but Nintendo is by far the biggest. Where is all of the money they're making going anyway?

Quoted for ****ing truth.

Ranking systems exist to belittle those that don't care about them.
That's why there's non-ranked.

Puffs

Smash Ace
I know how it feels I had that problem at one point, F2p services are normally good enough to tie people over until they find a way to pay

It's not about expectations, this is in general. I've felt this way since PS2 and Xbox went online. GC had one online game that no one played, that was Phantasy star online. Nintendo needs to realize this isn't 1991 anymore, they have competition, they have a bar to set or follow now or people will quickly realize there are better things to get.

I don't see why online is that important. Nintendo balances things out between Sony and Microsoft. It it decided to follow their example, it'd be nothing but Final Fantasy, Doom, GTA, and Gran Turismo sequels and rip-offs.

If Nintendo didn't sell out to casual audiences they would be doing as well as they did with GC.

Maybe you're forgetting just how well the GCN did last gen.

I thought I'd seen worst sell outs but Nintendo is by far the biggest. Where is all of the money they're making going anyway?

Peripherals and spin-offs.

They're games.

And should remain non-ranked.
Bold 10char.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Voice Chat can suck my balls. I have yet to see it used to a good point. Granted I haven't spent a whole lot of time on Xbox Live, but I've spent some. And you know what? It ends up being 13 year old boys cursing at you 24/7. Ask youself, do you want a 13 year old yelling boasting obscenities across the Wii at you when he kills you? I don't.

And about leaderboards and such, I would care for them, if the point of Brawl was online, like Starcraft and Warcraft, and if the internet connection was really good. The WiFi update itself on the Dojo says that the connection is not too good. And the game's point is not online.

Although I am a pro-(better internet with a price tag) person because I can afford it, I'm still perfectly fine with the online capabilities we're getting, due to mostly the reasons stated above.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Voice Chat can suck my balls. I have yet to see it used to a good point. Granted I haven't spent a whole lot of time on Xbox Live, but I've spent some. And you know what? It ends up being 13 year old boys cursing at you 24/7. Ask youself, do you want a 13 year old yelling boasting obscenities across the Wii at you when he kills you? I don't.

And about leaderboards and such, I would care for them, if the point of Brawl was online, like Starcraft and Warcraft, and if the internet connection was really good. The WiFi update itself on the Dojo says that the connection is not too good. And the game's point is not online.

Although I am a pro-(better internet with a price tag) person because I can afford it, I'm still perfectly fine with the online capabilities we're getting, due to mostly the reasons stated above.
I agree with everything you have just said.

Red Exodus

Smash Master

I don't see why online is that important. Nintendo balances things out between Sony and Microsoft. It it decided to follow their example, it'd be nothing but Final Fantasy, Doom, GTA, and Gran Turismo sequels and rip-offs.

Pick up a magazine will ya, it'd make you should a lot better. There are plenty of games coming along that haven't been done yet, I could even use your point against you. How many Metroids, Marios [and spin offs], pokemons, Smash brothers, Kirbys and Donkey Kongs have we seen now? 'Nuff said.

Maybe you're forgetting just how well the GCN did last gen.

I haven't forgotten it was abysmal, if they didn't send an SOS to casual gamers they would be back at square one.

Peripherals and spin-offs.

Too bad no one wants those.

They're games.

And should remain non-ranked.

What's wrong with having a choice? That's what's wrong with Nintendo, they don't give people choices. It's no wonder people hype Halo so much, you had a decent number of choices.
Responses in red.

Salaad

Smash Ace
Why is voice chat so important?

It's a done deal, we are not getting voice chat. I would like voice chat but not that much...

Puffs

Smash Ace
Responses in red.
I'm saying Nintendo offers a wider variety of genres. Sony had a good amount of decent platformers when they started, but Nintendo kept the genre alive throughout 6th gen with Mario and Kirby. Microsoft is looking promising in the platformer department with a new Banjo-Kazooie in the mix, as well as other titles from Rare.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Exclusive Sports games, racing sim games, good FPSes and quality RPGs were practically inexistant on the GC. I do believe the PS2 and XBOX had a lot more to offer, genre-wise. We've been playing with the same mascots for over 10 years, and yet again, it seems that only these games are the ones actually worth our money. Aside from twilight princess, metroid3, ssbb, mario? and a few more games, there isnt much catering to hardcore gamers. Ppl on Nintendo forums spitting on Halo due to the fact that its too generic really make me laugh.

Salaad

Smash Ace
Srsly I only bought my 360 for Halo 3. Why would you need Mass effect when you have Halo 3? Halo 3 pretty much covers everything you need. I don't get what people mean by "Hardcore" gamer. Once someone gets Halo 3 they won't give a **** about any other game, so why does it matter?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Really, in the long run I simply say 'take it for what it is' people constantly tell me I'm not getting anywhere with the take it in the *** attitude. However, you realize in the long run, the likelyhood that they'll change it at this point in the development seems unlikely. There are several reasons things seem to continue this path.

1. The Japanese Market has never been excessive with the online features in a vast majority of their games. Nintendo has always been more focus on their first major market in Japan. Though that market is changing there now, it has been far slower climb then in NA or other regions

2. The Wifi system is very basic and inexpensive. Extremely low-budget, little maintance, that seems to be the general center to their network. Even with F2P games many still take donations or offer special account features to people who pay, or the makers simply fund the project out of there own time and work. The big business world doesn't work that way, companies want to see a profit in anything they do. At this point in order to maximize their service and add all the features people in this topic to all games, the system would require a massive overall and probably would be ridculiously expensive.

3. The only way to drive that kind of improvement would require the finiancal consquences to be damaging enough to invoke a change. Right now, Nintendo simply doesn't have that motivation. The Wii is selling extremely well and even though it doesn't appeal greatly to Hardcore gamers at this point the money is still showing right now. Seriously how many of you won't by this game due to lousy online play?

BentoBox

Smash Master
I don't think someone buying a console for one game falls into that category. And besides, you have a lot of variety and options, whether you choose to take advantage of it or not, that's your problem. Nintendo isn't giving us much options. The difference.

edit: @Dragin: Halo would still sell lots without Online. The potential was there nonetheless, they took advantage of it. It worked. The fact that we'll still buy the game doesn't mean anything as you are on a smash forums. Halo really isn't that special of a game, but look where it is. SSBB could have the same potential if only Nintendo made an effort.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Hmm... well last time I checked Nintendo isn't making you use it. You use it or you don't, seems pretty simple to me.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Exclusive Sports games, racing sim games, good FPSes and quality RPGs were practically inexistant on the GC. I do believe the PS2 and XBOX had a lot more to offer, genre-wise. We've been playing with the same mascots for over 10 years, and yet again, it seems that only these games are the ones actually worth our money. Aside from twilight princess, metroid3, ssbb, mario? and a few more games, there isnt much catering to hardcore gamers. Ppl on Nintendo forums spitting on Halo due to the fact that its too generic really make me laugh.
Exclusive sports games: The majority of Mario spin-offs

Racing Sims: Ya got me there.

FPS: Metroid Prime is the best FPS series I've ever played. Nintendo doesn't have much else, though.

RPGs: You seriously question that? Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario? Where you during sixth gen?

BentoBox

Smash Master
...I'll use it because that's all we're being offered. That doesn't mean that we're satisfied nonetheless.

I remember in '98 I was playing Unreal online with more options than what we're seeing with Brawl.

Salaad

Smash Ace
What I'm saying is most people who buy Halo 3 won't touch another game, so why would there be CoD4 or Mass Effect?

Top Bottom