• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online MLG for brawl????

clayfighter0

Smash Cadet
So does anyone know if they are going to have online competitions for MLG or nething for smash bros brawl??? i was just wondering because me and a few friends are interested in MLG!!! or can anyone point me into the dierection to join MLG do i need to go to the MLG site plz someone post back:psycho:

Deathanchor

Smash Apprentice
Ya and proof that's it's actually you playing. I mean if it was online, you could just have some amazing player hop onto your online brawl account and play your MLG tournament matches for you. That wouldn't be fair huh?

shogun

Smash Journeyman
Don't listen to anything until JV posts something, anything else is a rumor.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
ya having online tourneys wont be fair to ppl like me who only have DSL available in my house where cable sucks in my area cuz everyone uses it, and Fios isn't out yet. I'd have a big ping disadvantage (like 60 or more compared to most peoples 20-40s on average) compared to a lot of other people, so it wouldn't be balanced at all.

speaking of which, i live in southwest NJ in burlington county, and fios is available like 3 miles away from me in cherry hill, but it's not available in my neighborhood yet. do you guys think itll be available for me this year in 2008 sometime?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Everyone help me petition to Verizon so that Fiber Optics internet will be available in my area

it's available like 3 miles away from me in Cherry hill, among many other places in New Jersey, but not where I live yet =(

I live in Cinnaminson (also known as Riverton), NJ
(Burlington county)

if everyone does this ill be able to play anybody constantly online without lag

currently im very doubtfully doing online much if at all cuz I only have DSL (cable here sucks)

I would really appreciate any efforts done towards making this succeed.

here's the site - http://www22.verizon.com/Residentia...neral+Support/Top+Questions/Top+Questions.htm

start from there by emailing them and help me in my quest to getting Fios so I can play online well!!!! :D Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kitehack

Smash Rookie
Actually MLG is taking SSBB on their list, but in any case you will be able to play in your own house for real MLG matches. You needpay for each player.

So for those who likely going to do the same, I hope to see you guys sooner or later!

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
I think that would be awful.

The game gets slower the further you are.

Imagine how terribly un-epic it would be if the grand finals of a giant tournament was going like 1/4x speed slow because it was between ****ing like, SoCal and New York.

iMichael

Smash Lord
No online tournies....it's better to go in person and see others. I went to SCC and was like "oh cool M2K" and then saw and Ken and Isai and was like "sweet Marth and Falcon have arrived"

Meneks

Smash Lord
playing MLG online would be pretty dumb and like everyone else says...it would be incredibally slow...
Just go to the MLG tournaments and play the people in person....So you in chicago

dmbrandon

Smash Master
ya having online tourneys wont be fair to ppl like me who only have DSL available in my house where cable sucks in my area cuz everyone uses it, and Fios isn't out yet. I'd have a big ping disadvantage (like 60 or more compared to most peoples 20-40s on average) compared to a lot of other people, so it wouldn't be balanced at all.

speaking of which, i live in southwest NJ in burlington county, and fios is available like 3 miles away from me in cherry hill, but it's not available in my neighborhood yet. do you guys think itll be available for me this year in 2008 sometime?
DSL IS FIIIIIINE.

</broken record.>

Sandwich

Smash Ace
DSL is better than Dialup.
AOL redirecting me to pr0n sites when I'm trying to go to Google.

vZakat

Half Genie
I think it would be much harder to organize a tourney with how the wii's online play is. If they are able to have online tourneys for brawl you definitely wouldn't be winning as much money as a live event. I would help you M2K but I doubt someone e-mailing from several states away would effect the companies decision.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
It doesn't make sense for MLG to shell out cash to players who never leave their house, , and it's not an event to watch people play a game at their house from your house. I'd travel to watch Ken fight in person, and I bet you would too, so naturally, MLG is probably not going to support online pro play.

S2

Smash Lord
MLG won't have online tournaments because Brawl won't let us use our own servers.

Meaning MLG would have to go through Nintendo. If Nintendo were smart they'd have big tie ins and turn Smash into a huge competitive frenzy.

But alas, its Nintendo. There is no way they'd allow MLG to host tournaments through their servers.

shogun

Smash Journeyman
Actually MLG is taking SSBB on their list, but in any case you will be able to play in your own house for real MLG matches. You needpay for each player.

So for those who likely going to do the same, I hope to see you guys sooner or later!
Sources? I doubt this since Microsoft is a sponser of MLG.

Shdwmarth

Smash Rookie
You guys are putting waay too much thought into all this. Just in case none of you have done MLG online tournaments or gamebattles I'll clue you in.

Gamebattles is for fun. SOMETIMES theyll have a large cash tournament and there's always the possibility that some MLG reps. watch the leaderboards since a lot of them work on gamebattles as mods. or refs.

MLG Online does not replace lans and go-to live tournaments. They are done to see how popular the game is, to get initial placings for live tournaments, and too make money. You buy credits from them, enter the tournament and play for a cash prize with limited teams (usually between 32 and 64). I'm sure for a game like Brawl, there would be singles too. When someone wins after several weeks of playing, you get your prize and now MLG knows who you are and that increases chances for sponsorships, seedings, etc.

So my final thought is Stop Saying That MLG Online Tournaments For Brawl Are Bad!!! It's just an added bonus for those who can't get out to live tournaments or who just want to practice and dominate a game all together. So my recommendation, if you guys want Brawl to succeed, would be to participate in the gamebattles ladder for Brawl. As long as it's active and popular I guarantee MLG will hold online tournaments for it and if that's successful it will become a circuit game.

The same thing happened with COD 4. Everyone kept arguing for 3 months whether or not MLG would pick it up. Now there's a $5,000 tournament on MLG Online and those who denied COD 4 ever being picked up and eating there own words.

Shdwmarth

Smash Rookie
That's funny.

Cause last i heart, MLG dropped melee and madden to become shooter oriented.

MAYBE I READ THE NEWS WRONG.
Shooter oriented or not, MLG will want to make money. If we can show heavy support for Brawl, they will pick it up; at least, someone will.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
EVO might.

But you cant convince me MLG will, after they dropped Melee AND MADDEN.

I keep saying AND MADDEN not because i like the game (i absolutely hate it), but i dare you try and argue that it has no support.

I dare you. >.>

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wow. Misconceptions abound.

MLG never held Madden tournaments, they wanted to back in 2004 but EA Sports didn't want them to because they wanted to host their own tournaments (and they have and do and Madden tournaments are very succesful).

MLG did not drop Smash to become "shooter oriented". MLG dropped Smash from the professional circuit because of X Box 360 became one of the presenting sponsors of the professional circuit. In other words, MLG could still run tournaments for Smash, they just couldn't be at the same events that were now sponsored by Xbox 360. It had nothing to do with 1)attendence 2)shooters 3)money (or though I guess you could say sponsorships are money 4)whatever other crazy reasons people have come up with over the years.

MLG has not announced anything about its 2008 Pro Circuit beyond that Halo 3 will be one of the games for it. If I had to make a guess its more than likely that Brawl will not be a part of it and that there will instead, again, be "underground tournament series" for the game that MLG will sponsor. I have no basis for making this claim beyond looking at what has happened in the past and the route that MLG took with Melee in 2007.

It would be a shame if they don't try and get Brawl more exposure, at this point it should be obvious that the Wii will hold up much better than the GC did and that Brawl will be one of the best selling games in history. I guess it will come down to what happens with sponsors, but as it is now 2007 was all about Xbox 360 titles and 2008 will be as well unless they somehow get Microsoft to change.

Shdwmarth

Smash Rookie
Wow. Misconceptions abound.

MLG never held Madden tournaments, they wanted to back in 2004 but EA Sports didn't want them to because they wanted to host their own tournaments (and they have and do and Madden tournaments are very succesful).

MLG did not drop Smash to become "shooter oriented". MLG dropped Smash from the professional circuit because of X Box 360 became one of the presenting sponsors of the professional circuit. In other words, MLG could still run tournaments for Smash, they just couldn't be at the same events that were now sponsored by Xbox 360. It had nothing to do with 1)attendence 2)shooters 3)money (or though I guess you could say sponsorships are money 4)whatever other crazy reasons people have come up with over the years.

MLG has not announced anything about its 2008 Pro Circuit beyond that Halo 3 will be one of the games for it. If I had to make a guess its more than likely that Brawl will not be a part of it and that there will instead, again, be "underground tournament series" for the game that MLG will sponsor. I have no basis for making this claim beyond looking at what has happened in the past and the route that MLG took with Melee in 2007.

It would be a shame if they don't try and get Brawl more exposure, at this point it should be obvious that the Wii will hold up much better than the GC did and that Brawl will be one of the best selling games in history. I guess it will come down to what happens with sponsors, but as it is now 2007 was all about Xbox 360 titles and 2008 will be as well unless they somehow get Microsoft to change.

Well I firmly believe if this community gives huge support to Brawl, someone is bound to pick it up. Just play and be loyal.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
At this point EVO is pretty much a given, I'm hesitant to say it but I think they may need us more than we need them.

In 2007 Smash was sponsored/supported by:
EVO (About $10,000 in prizes + a rented space for the tournaments = about $50,000)
MLG (about $16,000)
Midnight Gaming Championship (about $10,000, including rental for places for the tournaments, the actual championship had $4,000 in przies).
EGL (failed company)
UGS (pretty much also a failed company)
Buy.com Lan (helped along by UGS)
Newegg Lanfest (about $3,000)
A few other misc things.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Sorry DoH, you probably won't ever see money from EGL. The person who ran the company supposedly filed for bankrupcy, and you're most likely at the bottom of the food chain in terms for debts he has to repay after assets get liquified (assuming thats the route of bankrupcy he took).

I wish we could go after the guy legally, but we would have to prove he was trying to run a scam, I don't know if it was a scam or he was simply incompetent.

KillaOR

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
Kila#697
Sorry DoH, you probably won't ever see money from EGL. The person who ran the company supposedly filed for bankrupcy, and you're most likely at the bottom of the food chain in terms for debts he has to repay after assets get liquified (assuming thats the route of bankrupcy he took).

I wish we could go after the guy legally, but we would have to prove he was trying to run a scam, I don't know if it was a scam or he was simply incompetent.
AZ is one well educated man. Glad he shut up some people that had no idea what the hell they were talking about.

Cancel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Diaz30

Hey alpha is it possible for brawl to have tourneys online?

S2

Smash Lord
EVO might.

But you cant convince me MLG will, after they dropped Melee AND MADDEN.

I keep saying AND MADDEN not because i like the game (i absolutely hate it), but i dare you try and argue that it has no support.

I dare you. >.>

As has been explained by more clued in individuals, MLG had reasons for dropping Melee for 1 season and is looking into Brawl.

*****EDIT******

Basically I didn't realize Evo had done Smash stuff in 2007. I'll admit, I hadn't payed attention to it or its scene in several years, so my argument is out of date. It's still posted below, but you can go ahead and ignore it.

There used to be an argument here about some anti-smash sentiment that existed in the EVO crowd, but yeah, I'm probably speaking out of 2005 and not now. I don't really know what the scene was like last year.

Kyldare

Smash Apprentice
Ya and proof that's it's actually you playing. I mean if it was online, you could just have some amazing player hop onto your online brawl account and play your MLG tournament matches for you. That wouldn't be fair huh?
Wouldn't that amazing player just play for him/herself?

Shdwmarth

Smash Rookie
why not both?

lol you act like its a vote to see which one we will choose.
That's what I've been saying! Half you guys don't get the point. IT'S NOT ONE OR THE OTHER. MLG isn't going to spend thousands of dollars setting up Brawl for the '08 circuit. They use online to see its popularity and to test game settings. If you don't want to play online then fine don't, if you do, then good for you. This whole thread has gone off topic. Not to be insulting but it's annoying to see how ignorant some of you can be. ROFL has the right idea. Originally this topic was will there be MLG Online for Brawl(at least that's what the title implies.), not "oh I hate playing online and I'm going to complain about it." Online opens up more options it doesn't take away. Geez.

Top Bottom