• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online & Live Tourneys

JoseOle92

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, so I'll just do it.

Online and Live Tournaments
Would online tournaments be succesful? It would of course be a lot more convenient for those who cannot travel and things like that, but theres always the lag factor. And what about friend codes. How would that work? Are live tournaments the only way still?
Enlighten me and your fellow smashers...

orintemple

Smash Lord
Its way to hard to organize a tournament online because you would have to get every entrants friend code and it would just be a huge hassle. Plus, the point of a tourney is to meet other players and play with them face to face as a Smash community. Games have communities for social interaction.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
People won't want to be beaten by people they can't see I guess.

I'm all for these, if they are run correctly.

Reno-Vgas

Smash Cadet
It would be fun, but not very huge deal. With wifiwar dot com being up I wouldnt see why tournys would even matter that much.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Online tournaments? Maybe.

Online competitive smash, definitely.

I'd like to see what kind of ideas people come up with as far as online tournaments go though. In order to avoid the "I lost because of lag" problem you could do best 2 out of 3, and each player gets to host one match, and the third is determined at random.

I will add, though, that online tournaments/play will NEVER replace tournaments. They are simply too much fun :)

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
This isn't supposed to be a replacement guys, just an alternative. (I have no smashers to play with so I will be on Wifi alot)

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
It's great for those isolated from large groups of smashers or don't have permission or can't afford to travel.

That's alright.

You make real friends at tournaments, wifi is just the first step in terms of meeting new people.
But I'm gonna be surprised to see how fast people grow into brawl and master skills online.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
I believe that Wi Fi will allow people to train for tournaments, much like how CAL does for Counter Strike.

As far as it not being taken seriously, we'll see about that.

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
I believe that Wi Fi will allow people to train for tournaments, much like how CAL does for Counter Strike.

As far as it not being taken seriously, we'll see about that.
Yes, people will be able to pull it off with an excessive amount of organization.
Online Tournaments would probably take a few days to acquire everybody's codes and info.
Maybe have a computer nearby to communicate with the participants on "whos up" and "who won".

I think that... spectator mode and being able to record matches will help us in the long run.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Absolutely, DarkNES386 is already planning to launch an online tournament within the first month of release. We will see what happens.

Viral

Smash Apprentice
Online tournaments wouldn't be very hard to organise at all. The only problem I can see is people in different time zones being online at the same time.
It only takes a few seconds to input a friend code.

Yes these are purely for fun but hey, it's a videogame.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Its not as difficult as you might think, the great thing about online tournaments is that they are not limited to the time that people are there. If somebody cannot make it , you can always reschedule to the next day.

I think it will be an effective alternative for practice, but as always live tournaments will always be the best.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Online Smash tournaments will never be taken seriously. End of story.
Sure.. but it's better than nothing.
There aren't always tournaments everywhere.. so I never participated in one.
So online tournaments and even normal online battles is a very welcomed addition for me.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Any online tournament discussion right can only be based off the dojo. Even then we're dealing only in speculation. Some of the biggest things to take into account are the following:

"One of the primary reasons that this game was even created was because Nintendo staff said that when taking the console online, probably the best title to do so would be Super Smash Bros. Because of that, we're going to try very hard to do that. But, at the same time, I think it would be a lot of work for us ... to try and find out whose number one." - Mr. Sakurai

Translation: Brawl is one of the best multiplayer games coming out for the Wii. We made the game online. We want players to expand their area of players, but there won't be a ranking system.

"But because this form of communication is greatly affected by the distance between you and your opponent, your brawls may not run smoothly if you’re really far apart—like, for instance, if you’re connecting between Japan and America." - Mr Sakurai

Translation:You can still connect with lots of people at hopefully a good internet speed. Whether or not you can play with the same luxury of a live match is a concern.

So what does this mean? It means we can still try to organize online tournaments and ladders, but it's going to depend completely on third party systems such as forums, programs, and external links.

Clearly, we don't have to change much with the PROCEDURE of live tournaments. The transition from Melee to Brawl needs to take into account maximum time limit, stock of match, items/smash balls and standard tournament quality stages.

Online Tournaments need to figure these out as well. Whether or not they go in the exact same direction is also open for question.

Online competitions also need too develop a fresh new system.

Friend codes, time zones, lag concerns, tournament size, tournament length of time, site(s) of registration and more are necessary for proper planning and execution. The beauty of this though is that once a system works well, very little upkeep is required and most people will only be dealing with the final product.

Online play has strengths. It is easy to find new players or reconnect with old friends at the convenience of playing your own Wii. With proper planning you have unlimited "tvs" to play your matches on so the amount of time to play an online tournament could drastically be cut down. You are not limited by the number of tvs on your site or the consoles that people brought.

The biggest con right now is what comes with anything related to the internet. Spamming and lack of truth. The whole point of friend codes is to just play your friends. The game was not intended to involve massive online collaborations. How do we keep people honest? Disconnects... falsifying results, these are possibly the large obstacles that any organized online Brawl event may face.

All we can do right now is making plans based off speculation. Those that are really interested have already started. We can then act accordingly as we play Brawl in general and use its online features to develop any online competitive system.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
you and friends ya sure the problem with online tournaments is that everyone would need to exchange friend codes to do it right to keep track of the score and i don't think smash bros wi-fi is set up properly to have tournaments online it's not like x-box live or on the PC where you can host something and random people can just show up.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
i don't think smash bros wi-fi is set up properly to have tournaments online it's not like x-box live or on the PC where you can host something and random people can just show up.
Correct. It is not set up properly. That is why we utilize forums and other internet resources to "host" online events.

We would need to come up for a system to utlize online play at a level the designers of Brawl did not intend.

Gundo

Smash Apprentice
Correct. It is not set up properly. That is why we utilize forums and other internet resources to "host" online events.

We would need to come up for a system to utlize online play at a level the designers of Brawl did not intend.

So basically, don't expect so much guys. but you can always do it the old fashion way. PEN AND PAPER! and just swap Friend Codes and just do it that slow way. We already kinda know how Wi-Fi Brawl will work. either with friends or worldwide strangers. then free-for-all or team-battle. thats about it.

either way, Brawl will own all games. XD

Top Bottom