• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On the Game of Mafia

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yep we've had a lot of wild things happen.

On the third game we played, it was hosted by @N3ON. @ManlySpirit was a player in the game and let's just say he has a big personality. He started spinning stories, making enemies, typing long posts declaring all sorts of people mafia, and eventually we all got to piling votes on him. But instead of backing off he instead said that after he dies, he had a list of people that would be mafia that need to follow him.

Of course he's lynched, and he comes up as a townie Politician. So now the town scrambles to try and recover and figure out whether or not he everything he said was right. Me, wanting to be a helpful townie, spoke with @augustoflores our resident reviver who hasn't brought anyone back yet. He asks me for my sage, expert opinion, highly respected, and I say "My friend Manly, he was done wrong!"

So of course that's what happens, Manly is brought back to life. That same exact Night however, I'm killed by the mafia.

Funny thing was, I was this:

You are the Bombardier. You love bombs, making them, setting them off, tinkering with them. Bombs are your life, some might even say you are obsessed. Your house is littered with bombs, making visits or invasions quite difficult for others. Should you be targeted by the mafia, they will accidentally set off a bomb while trying to kill you and not only will you die, but one of them will also be caught in the explosion. The Mafioso caught and killed by your explosion will be determined randomly. Too bad you won’t have time to savour your revenge. Cuz ull b dead. :p

You are allied with the Town. You win when all threats to the Town are eliminated.

@Conviction was, I think, the only or one of the only people who knew, and he had outed me in the public thread the Day before as the bomb, because of course, his role was this:

You are the Turncoat. A begrudging member of society, you have no real affinity towards your fellow townspeople even though they seem to like and trust you. In fact some might say you downright dislike them, even have a grudge against them. So much so that if you should be targeted by the mafia, you manage to use your powers of trust and persuasion to convince them to let you join instead of the other, presumably more unpleasant alternative, being killed. Even though you can still die by means of lynching, once the mafia takes you in, you’ll be safe from them, and you can finally take revenge on your “fellow” townies. They are still implicitly trusting you to be an innocent civilian after all. Of course, the mafia will also be unaware of your special role prior to them planning to kill you.

Even though should you be investigated by a cop after your switch you will appear as scum, beforehand you will appear as what you are, a simple townsperson. Perhaps it’d be better to get investigated then, hmm? Also keep in mind, any bonds you might make and trust you might gain from before the attempt on your life will presumably remain afterwards, after all, they won’t be informed of your defection, how would they know you’ve switched sides?

Initially you are allied with the Town. You will win when all the threats to the Town are eliminated. You will stay this way the entire game if you are never targeted by the mafia. However if you are, you will become allied with the Mafia, in which you will win when you outnumber the Townspeople.

Which means the mafia knew, except the Godfather @~automatic wasn't paying attention and sent in the kill order for me because naturally I'm just a huge threat because I'm so smart. The rest of the Night the other mafia members cry out in vain for him to change it because I was the bomb but he left the computer to sleep or do whatever and so we both end up exploding to our deaths.

As a result I was added straight to the Graveyard PM that had all the roles of every player available to be read, and before my eyes I see the most blasphemous role we had ever encountered at that point.

You are the Corrupt Politician. Even though you parade around as a spokesman for the town’s best interests, really you are associated with the scummiest scum of the town. You can pass bills and laws that prohibit the activities of others, every night you can use your action Block: User to prevent any actions that user may be capable of.

In addition, if you die you will be revealed as a simple Politician, your shady history will remain undisclosed and you will appear as an Innocent Roleblocker. This will make the town believe there is still an extra Mafioso out there, as well as causing confusion if you happen to have been investigated by any cops, as you will appear as scum to them (unless protected by another ability). This also makes a good fake claim.

You are allied with the Mafia. You win when you outnumber the Townspeople.

The god damn ******* was mafia and we just brought his scum ass back to life.

As is tradition I spent the rest of the game being salty and talking trash about the town, Manlyspirit, and possibly even the beloved hostess herself. We went on to lose, the remaining townies listened to Manly like gospel until the very end where he confessed and at that point they just conceded.

Damn some of our games were just absolutely ridiculous... :laugh:

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
It then became a running joke in the group, along with God Miller's Cousin and Holder never being mafia.
In this group I've already been mafia the same amount of times as I did in all of the games we had in the previous group, and both of those times I was handpicked for it.

It had become such a meme that in a Smash Mafia game Swampy himself was hosting he specifically gave me a role. An opportunity.

Congratulations! You are Wolf! :wolf:

Faction: Townie (at first)
Role Description:
You want to be mafia, Holder? You're going to have to earn it. You're a respected member of the town. But you don't want that... You want more... You want power! Control! Money! Women (and/or men depending on your preference)! You want it all! You want to join the mafia and rule the town with them. If you can find a mafia member at night, you can request to join them. If they accept, you become a full blown mafia member! To win, you must join the mafia and help them win the game. Simple enough, right? Aside from that you have the power to sniff out whether one person has lied per night. However, this lie cannot be about their allegiance. That would make things too easy.

Achievements: This is a brand new feature to mafia! Achievements! Look at them as possible things you do while playing. This is mainly for fun, though if you die, your completed achievements will be shown to everyone on your gravestone! Your role will not. Completed achievements will be colored green in your role PM and on the second post of the mafia thread!

Wolfen - Vote lynch a townie!

Can't let you do that! - Stop a lynch of a suspected mafia member.

You're good.... - Sniff out a lie.

But I'm better! - Expose it to the town!

I can't believe it! - Get checked by a cop while you're still a townie.

Anti hero? Ha! - Join the mafia!

Feral Fighter - Kill a person after joining the mafia!

Hungry like the wolf! - Kill three people after you join the mafia!

Tail between your legs... - Fail to join the mafia.

Star Wolf - Joined the mafia and won the game!

So basically I could become mafia if I went up to one of them and asked nicely.

The problem was, I had my wolf tail between my legs about the idea of having to approach someone blindly and blatantly ask them to let me in on the mafia, because if I spoke to one of the numerous townies, all who have been taught to fear traitor roles already (thanks to N3ON lol), they'd have me killed ASAP.

Mulling over the suspects, I had reasonable belief to think @--- was mafia, so I approached him at Night in a PM and started acting real suggestive. Real shady. Thought the mafia knew they were looking for someone to bring into their fold.

Naturally --- picks up on something.

So he runs to his mafia buddies and says "I think Holder knows I'm scum! We need to kill him!"

aaaaand the assholes agree to murder me. ):< I'm revealed to everyone to actually have been a traitor. The town is offended and the mafia is like "Eh better luck next time." lol... was so mad at everyone.

Should've just ouright told --- what I was, because Swampy was really bad about interfering as a host. He was basically tripping over himself trying to tell me in my role PM that --- was mafia and I didn't need to be timid with him. >.> Ultimately just couldn't pop the question though, my poor sensitive heart... I was hurt too much in the past. Couldn't open up. :sadeyes:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ok but what exactly were achievements? Like, I get the idea but what's the point of them?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Quite honestly, I followed Opossum's model: flavor text for the character and then the skills listed separately. It's nice and simple with everything organized and I like it

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Ooo here's another brief story of me dying that was burned into my mind.

@Opossum was hosting this game and the theme was the backroom users. As in, we all got one another as roles. For example, I was @IsmaR which was a roleblocker, and another example was @Smooth Criminal had me as a role and was a bomb.

"Dammit, Opossum..."
You are Holder of the Heel. While you tend to not appreciate Opossum's jokes, or Manly's jokes, or Johnknight's jokes, or N3ON's jokes, or...well, you get the idea. You're always at the jokes' receiving end. But this role is far from a joke. You are reprising your role as the Bombardier. Looks like you're holding more than just heels, after all. If someone targets you in the night, you will set off your bombs and blow them up with you! However, there is one role that overrides the bomb. One that knows how to...disarm it. Be careful...and bombs away! You are a townie. You win when all mafia scum are eliminated.

Even then I was the butt of jokes. :p Anyways.

It was nearing the end of the game and things were dire, few townies remained. Then suddenly @augustoflores and @lobotheduck21 vote for me with barely an explanation and the host says suddenly that the phase is ending. Because I was the only one voting at that moment, early on in the Day, it was a death sentence.

lobo was this:

"Sorry I'm late, guys."
You are Thethirdkoopa. You're a bit of a mafia veteran, so what better way to show it than to join the mafia? In this game, you are the Clockmaker. Once during the game, you can end a phase early! Perhaps use it to suit the mafia's needs during a lynch? Just send me the message, and I'll end it early. You are mafia. You win when the mafia outnumber the town.

The time stopper was a damn mafiaso, and him along with Augustoflores whose role was based on ~automatic and was a mafiaso, they basically just executed me in broad day light, no questions asked.

The town went on to lose the next phase I think because no one thought that was odd. I hate you all <3

Also I'd just like to point out that @Johnknight1 was in that game and his role was N3ON, a serial killer, who ended up being converted by a psychiatrist to be a townie lmao.

"DANCE, Puppets! DANCE!"

You are N3ON. You are a user of great power, due to your moderator position. However, that doesn't stop you from having fun! After all, what's life without a bit of chaos? You are the serial killer. You can kill people at night, by sending me a PM saying Kill:User. Isn't that fun? However, since you like randomness, a RNG will decide whether or not you kill someone each night, with a 1:5 odds of getting the kill. Additionally, if you manage to kill Holder of the Heel, your odds get improved to 1:3. You are a neutral party. You win if you survive until the end.

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Mmkay, one more, and this tale doesn't involve me dying.

God Robert's Cousin God Robert's Cousin and @TheFirstPoppyBro hosted an Undertale mafia game with 18 players.

Let's just say my alignment wasn't a friendly one. :p

Now the game starts and AEMehr AEMehr is nowhere to be seen. He never posts once. Except we see him like posts... he's watching, but not playing. Yet he signed up and is in the roster.

Strangely at Night players receive messages or something, garbled riddles. Omens for the town.

Rapidly @IsmaR is lynched and wound up being Chara, scum, and now Disfunkshunal Disfunkshunal practically gives up, which is unusual for him. He admits his guilt. This completely leaves me baffled, almost even troubled. I ask him why he would do such a thing.

Well... just take a look at AEM's role:

You are W.D. Gaster, the Removed.
Due to a nasty accident involving the Core, you are dead. Well, not dead so much as erased from this timeline altogether. You technically don't even exist anymore. You are everywhere and nowhere. You see and know everything yet lack the means to speak it in tongue known to mortals. In spite of all this, you remember many of these people and only wish to see that they make it through this circumstance alive, so it's your job to try to tell them what you know.
+You start the game seeing everyone's role PMs.
+You cannot be lynched.
+[Fade: Player] - Once per Day, you are able to neutralize someone's vote that Day as long as they are not Mafia.
+[Reach: Player] - Each Night, you may send anonymous messages directly to peoples' Role PMs.

=Every night-action on you fails.
=If you are lynched, your win condition will change.

-You cannot vote and do not count towards the Town's total number of players.
-You cannot communicate with other players directly via posting in the daytime or in a conversation.
-Any message sent will be translated into zalgo text and wing dings, paraphrasing what you said and having certain information like player names and character names being redacted altogether. The less cryptic you are, the more is changed.

You are Third-Party. However, you win when all threats to the Town are eliminated.

See, AEM knew everything, he just couldn't directly and flat out say it. Unfortunately, referencing usernames, avatars, roles... well, basically he loop holed his way through the limits and the hosts, instead of reeling the role in, let it pass because it passed their initial role design.

The town fully believed they were being given info from the game's graveyard PM itself as AEM likes posts. I don't fully believe it myself, it's too ridiculous, too broken, the hosts would never allow this to happen! Yet the town starts to mention that AEM hinted at me as a threat as well, and that after Disfunk, I am to follow. Fighting tooth and nail, I fail to convince them or myself and Disfunk is lynched and revealed to be the godfather Flowey.

But shockingly, to everyone's surprise, the hosts inform everyone the game is now over, the mafia defeated. In an 18 player game there were only two mafiasos and they were swiftly taken care of. There were twice as many third parties as mafia lol.

So happy ending right? The town wins! Except... no, actually. Everyone loses.

Everyone but me that is. :laugh:

You are Jerry. Gross.
Seriously, who invited you?
+Even voting on you is hard because it means acknowledging you and your awful attitude. Between that and your high defense, you are immune to the first 2 votes placed on you.
+That high defense gives you a one-shot Bulletproof, too. Ugh.
-You come up highly-dangerous on Cop-checks. Not because you're actually dangerous, it's just that nobody likes you, Jerry.

You are Third-Party. You win if you survive until the end of the game. Nobody wants that though, so everyone else, regardless of faction, will lose if you win.

So because the town saved me for last, they automatically just lost, and everyone was so disappointed. Even me, because I enjoyed the idea of fighting against the world, being truly independent. But I did practically nothing and ended up winning by chance. The mafia queue thread that kept track of the log of games and who wins didn't even mark it as a Third Party win for me, but instead just says the town won. ALL LIES! I ALONE WON! ME! :p

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
That takes me back!

Poppy and I really wanted to use our chance for an Undertale Mafia to be experimental, regardless of how the game itself would turn out. Gaster was the pivotal role in it all, and that game was meant to playtest the role to see just what kind of dynamic a pseudo-host role would have, for better or worse. While I wasn't happy that people didn't really end up enjoying the game much due to imbalance, I'm still satisfied with the lessons learned from it that can go into the design of future Mafia games wanting to try a similar type of role.

And yeah congrats on winning, Jerry.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
That takes me back!

Poppy and I really wanted to use our chance for an Undertale Mafia to be experimental, regardless of how the game itself would turn out. Gaster was the pivotal role in it all, and that game was meant to playtest the role to see just what kind of dynamic a pseudo-host role would have, for better or worse. While I wasn't happy that people didn't really end up enjoying the game much due to imbalance, I'm still satisfied with the lessons learned from it that can go into the design of future Mafia games wanting to try a similar type of role.

And yeah congrats on winning, Jerry.
Yeah I can't blame you because my game was much more of a mess, just not a lopsided one. Warning: A lot of words incoming. If you guys want to look directly into madness, open these spoilers. :laugh:

Congratulations! You've all been possessed by the Spirits of the Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Forums and have become dirty, nasty scum! Don't you just feel grand? You may all use your telepathic powers to communicate together as one throughout both Day and Night phases, as per usual. Everyone's goal here is to become equal to or greater than the forces of those independent or aligned with the goody-two shoes Town (guess that makes you the baddy-one shoe Mafia).

In here all of you will be able to individually give kill commands, all done with a simple Kill: User. I'd recommend all of you doing this because while all the other players have individual personal victories for them to truly win, the mafia must share one, or rather, compete for it. At the end, only the player with the most successful kills will be victorious.

The Assassin's Kill, Opossum, cannot be blocked or saved, for he is the most efficient at, well, assassinating.

The Trickster's Kill, Triple Dash, grants you exclusive access to the Will written by that player while an artificial one can be put in its place for the Town to read instead.

The Illusionist's Kill, Conviction, grants you exclusive access to the Role of the killed player while an artificial one of your design can be put in its place for the Town to see instead.

But alas, only one of you be able to kill each Night. And that is where the Mastermind comes in. There is a hidden player out there that is trying to make your team win; however, if you do so while he or she remains at large, you all lose no matter what and the Mastermind is the sole victor. His connection? All messages prefaced with To Mastermind: will be sent to him/her through me, as I will be sending messages from him/her to all of you. Everything will remain anonymous to each party. The three kills, with their various targets and effects, will be chosen by the approval of the Mastermind.

Therefore, it is in your best interest to appeal to the Mastermind, while also searching to kill him, in order for him to select your kill choice and the abilities that go along with it. All abilities related to your roles themselves will be kept to your Role PMs and their actions used privately there. However, if you are chosen for the kill, whatever Night action you have activated that Night won't happen. You either kill or use one of your actions, so two of you will be using your abilities successfully while the lucky winner instead kills as they desired.
Happy hunting everyone!
Congratulations! You're the Mastermind, you are Independently aligned with the Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Forums with Khaos! You win when the mafia is greater to or equal to the amount of independent or Town-aligned members remain. Your character is an extension of the Will of Khaos, and as such you've control over the invited Spirits of Scum and are one with them. However, they are an unruly bunch, and do not wish to be ruled. As such, they will hunt you down if they discover your identity.

Your control is expressed in your Left Hand of God passive that allows you to give and receive anonymous messages from the Mafia in their PM, and most of all, to be able to pick from their Kill actions for the one you deem to be the most desirable. The Mafia cannot choose their targets themselves and must have your final say in which one goes through. Even if you are to die your position as the deciding Mastermind must be upheld. Anything you want said to the Mafia, preface with To Mafia:, or casually just tell me what you want sent over, either works.

With each Day you are allotted a role randomly selected from all of the active target powers available among the players through your passive Imitate.

With each Day you are alotted a role randomly selected from all of the passive powers available among the players through your passive Copy.

A one-shot ability called Potter Against Potter can send a prompt to every Town member asking who they think is most scummy, and whoever they answer with becomes one of your options as a Nightkill in place of the options you've received from the Mafia.

Each time the Town goes a Night without getting a Kill, you acquire a one-shot Night Kill of your own that you can choose to use instead and pick whoever you like, with Swallow: User. You will send them to the Great Abyss, however their Will, power, and allegiance will echo through. However, the Town will not be told who even died and must use process of elimination.

If all of the Mafia dies, you will become a Cultist with your passive False Messiah and will convert players one at a time over the Night and can only win by acquiring a majority or equal majority to the Town, with Covert to the Dark Side: User. If you die, all Cultists will be returned to normal.

Another ability you possess can be activated at Night through Mind Scan: User, User, and User. It shall select three players of your choosing in order to test if there are threats within, but you will not be told how many or who. You simply be told: "THREAT DETECTED" or "CLEAR", the former revealing your pawns.

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Your personal victory is to be able to accurately pin down all of the players alignments, be it mafia, Town, or independent, by the end of the Game, with only one official guess allowed each Night (and you are not informed when you are correct until the end). You pride yourself on being able to understand all of the pawns on the board and Khaos himself wishes to understand the pieces himself.

Congratulations! You're the Assassin, aligned with the Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Forums with Khaos! You win when the mafia is greater to or equal to the amount of independent or Town-aligned members remain. Your character is known for be incredibly gifted at securing kills by watching your prey with the utmost attention and interest... at times you become a little too obsessed and curious.. but you're an Assassin who has control of such feelings of course, right?

You've access to three skills:

Stalk: You may target a user and acquire their target, if any, who targeted them, and who they spoke with.

Study: You may target a user and discover what action they use if any, specifically.

Hide: You may do what ninja-like people are masters of, you disappear!... behind someone else! (So that's where they go...) Any actions targeting directly you will fail and any actions applied to who you hide behind will also happen to you.

Congratulations! You're the Trickster, aligned with the Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Forums with Khaos! You win when the mafia is greater to or equal to the amount of independent or Town-aligned members remain. Your character is known for causing misunderstandings as you trifle with their creations. Sometimes though, you kind of wish you were recognized for your owncreations... Ah who cares what they think, right?

You've access to three skills:

Whisper In Ear: You may select a player and offer them anonymous messages through me saying whatever you please so long as you don't break the rules.

Wolf Who Cries Boy: You may have, during any Day phase where a Kill action was not used by youon the previous Night, ask the Host to say something of your design in order to give a message anonymously to the Town.

Persuasion?: You may force any player of your choice to say something to either someone at Night or in Town during any Day phase where a Kill action was not used by you on the previous Night. They are not allowed to say so without suffering a harsh penalty.

Congratulations! You're the Illusionist, aligned with the Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Forums with Khaos! You win when the mafia is greater to or equal to the amount of independent or Town-aligned members remain. Your character is known for hiding behind tricks while usually going unnoticed behind all the tricks... sometimes you wish you were noticed though.. Bah, what nonsense! Right?

You've access to three spells:

Redirect: User will cause the target to use his action on a random player!

Reflect: User will cause any actions used on that target to randomly reflect!

Mirror: Casting this spell will cause any actions used against yourself to bounce back onto the user!

Congratulations! You're the Executioner, Independently aligned with the Smash 4 Backroom against Khaos! You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated. Your character is the one charged with handling the execution of the wicked during the times of Mafia.

There are three ways to end the life of the one chosen to be Wicked, and it is up to you to choose which one the Town uses personally. There is Electrocution through Holy Light which burns apart their written Will so it cannot be read and leaves their body mangled and thus their class and abilities cannot be ascertained but any evil spirits affecting their allegiance will be revealed to everyone. There is Evisceration which leaves the body mangled to not be identified with a class, does not force the spirit out, but leaves their Will to be read for everyone. And finally there is the Deluge that drowns the victim leaving their body in tact so their role is revealed but the spirit is not forced out and the Will becomes illegible.

If a No Lynch is reached at any point in the game, you are granted use of a one-shot kill at Night through the use of your Headsman's Axe: User command. One way or another judgment will be had.

If a tie is reached and an extension happens to vote for these targets, you will be given the right to personally select the one who dies through the Right Hand of God skill, any of the three execution methods being chosen like normally.

Only you and you alone acquire the midday vote count via your passiveJudgment skill.

Once per game you've three skills you can activate which are an appeal to your Lord. The first is Lynch All Liars, which will tally any lies against a player as extra votes against them, but these votes will be invisible from your Judgment and is handled directly by God. The other is a Policy Lynch, which will tally a vote against players who have mostly voted Town members, negatively affect players at Night, or have posted less than 30 times, but these votes will also be invisible from your Judgment in the same fashion. Once per game you may use Lynch Key, which will unlock vote thresholds for that Day and prevents anyone from being locked into a lynch.

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Yours is to properly guess on the previous Night phase who is going to be killed during the next Day phase three times. Your fascination with the... proceedings knows no bounds it seems.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. If you win with the Town, they will lose and you will be the only victor, as an Autocrat. Your oppressive and authoritarian presence is certainly felt by the Town members. So yeah, perhaps not be so open about what you're doing, eh?

Congratulations! You're the Shaman, aligned with the Smash 4 Backroomagainst Khaos! You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated. Your character is known for consistently carrying around a sign saying "The End is Nigh!" Yes, you're one of those people.

Interested in the End Times, you're commonly trying to Motivate people into getting things done with so it can all be over already. Each Night you canMotivate: User in order to allow them double usage of their power! A player cannot be Motivated twice in a row.

You also may use, during any phase, the ability of Resurrect: User, to bring back one player to the realm of the living once this game, using yourobsession connection with the afterlife. This player however is bound to your will can any actions they take can be overridden with your command. Also, if you die, the spiritual connection with you is severed and the summoned player will also fall at the same time.

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Yours is to be able to accurately predict the Day the world game ends. You may guess at the start, but since it is just such a difficult thing to divine, you will be able to change your guess with the coming of new signs in the form of a mafia member dying.

Congratulations! You're the Cleric, aligned with the Smash 4 Backroomagainst Khaos! You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated. Your character is known for healing the wounds of those injured and taking care of others as if they are more important to you than yourself.

Each Night, much like a Doctor, can protect a target another player each Night from not only Night kills but also any ability that is considered to be negative through the Protect: User command.

Instead, you may select your fellow Clerics from the Church to go out and protect the players themselves. You have a Priest, a White Mage, aSage, a Medic, a Blood Mage, Green Mage, and an Angel. You may only manage three at a time however, and you're not entirely sure how well each of them might to do...

With the Martyr skill, one can Lightning Rod the first Nightkill, causing the kill target to become yourself instead of their original target.

In your possession you have three Immunity Idols (yay Survivor!) which you can activate during the Night to protect yourself, and each Night you can give one of these away to a player in order for them to use during any Night they think they are being targeted.

Once during the game you may use a Defensive Vote which transforms your vote for the Day as an extra Protect for the Night on the person it is on at the end of the phase. Also once during the Day you may transform your vote into an Immunity Vote which causes all votes on that player beyond it to not count.

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Yours is to have more than eight of the starting players make it to the end of the game. If many lives are lost... what is the point?
Congratulations! You're the Summoner aligned with the Smash 4 Backroomagainst Khaos! You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated. Your character is known for handling the investigative and criminal process using your ability to spawn beings to do your bidding.

At your disposal you've many "Cops" to summon and use to investigate players each Night, however it takes too much power to use all of them at once and you must limit yourself to three. Results will range from Guilty to Innocent. Here's the roster:

Carbuncle
Ifrit
Shiva
Odin
Ramuh
Leviathan

In addition to those, you have Diabolos who can be used to check the dead instead.

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Yours is to have checked every threat to the town at least once. You need to remind everyone to respect your authority!
Congratulations! You're the Sorcerer, aligned with the Smash 4 Backroomagainst Khaos! You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated. Your character is known for their desire to collect all sorts of magic and power.

Passively, you shall Absorb every power directly used on you if it has not been used against you before, much like a Blue Mage in Final Fantasy. Naturally this does not work with the ones that kill you.

Also passively through your Vote Consume skill, any votes on you that stick at the end of a Day phase you absorb and will add to the power of your vote the following Day.

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Yours is to ensure that by the end of the game every remaining player has targeted you with one of their abilities.
Congratulations! You're the Warlock, aligned with the Smash 4 Backroomagainst Khaos! You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated. Your character is known for his obsession with the dead... How ironic.

After each death of a player in a Day phase you can Commune the active powers of their role to use for your own!

Your role will also be able to communicate with the dead players as they come in through the Tartarus PM with your passive Dead Men Tell Talesspell.

Once during this game you are also allowed to shed your Warlock shell and become the role of one of the deceased with the Traveling Spirit spell, which removes your Warlock abilities forever.

If you die as the Warlock, you're removed from the roster but can continue to post as a voice among the rest through your passive power Lingering Spirit.

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Yours is to have less than eight or less of the starting players make it to the end of the game. What? You're not really a fan of the living, and this place is kind of crowded...

Congratulations! You're the Bard, aligned with the Smash 4 Backroomagainst Khaos! You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated. Your character is known for being nosy about the latest stories and news as you spend each day playing songs hailing the heroes of great legends and myths!

Each Night you will get a random statement from each player without knowing who it is from, thus leaking you potentially snippets of information, with your passive skill Clairvoyance.

In addition you've a list of skills you can active at Night, but you may only select one each and they're all one-shots (can only be used once). Unless specified, Role PM posts are not included, as with your passive:

Epic: You will acquire the longest post made at the end of the Night! Who it is from and to who it was for you won't know.
Chorus: You will acquire the shortest posts made from everyone at the end of the Night! Who it is from and to who it was for you won't know.
Having the Last Word: You will acquire the last post made from someone at the end of the Night!
Ear to the Wall: You may have the Host create a PM with one person and have with each Night an additional person added aside from yourself, and anything stated in that PM will be sent to you secretly (although the situation will be a bit sketchy to the invited...)
Echo and Narcissus: Acquires three posts from the one who spoke the most.
Divination: May select one player to acquire the last three posts made by the host, God!

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Yours is to be able to match together all of the messages from your ability Clairvoyance to each living player at the end of the game! You pride yourself from your mastery of dialogue and appraising a person's diction and character...

Becomes on Odd-numbered days:

Congratulations! You're the Paladin aligned with the Smash 4 Backroomagainst Khaos! You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated. Your character is known for adhering to Honor and Integrity! Although you feel a little weird ever since that mist came around... ah well, it's nothing to a Knight of Valor!

Your votes count as two inherently because of your reputation for Honor. You have Charisma which causes one more vote to be needed in order for you to be locked into a lynch. However, you don't like being the one to deal the finishing blow with your Grace, and thus you cannot be the one to cast a Hammer vote, as in, you may not lock someone into a lynch. Each Day phase as the Paladin you may bestow another player with Honor,Charisma, and Grace.

Once during the game you may override a lynch causing, under NORMAL circumstances, the second highest vote count to be used instead. All you have to do is send the command Protect the Weak!. You may not use this on yourself.

During the Night you may use your Command skill to try and force an investigative role to check someone of your choice, try to force a protective role to heal someone of your choice, and a role-blocker role to block someone of your choice. If they choose to object to the command they cannot perform the action. You can then Guide the other two with an option of your choice and if they comply or disobey you will be informed; however, they will have access to that skill regardless.

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Yours is to have the LEAST amount of votes against you by the end of the game, only the votes that stick at the end of the Day phase counting. You must keep your Persona in the eyes of the people in-tact.. Achoo! Gosh, are you allergic to that mist stuff? Yuck..

Becomes on Even-numbered days:

Congratulations! You're the Shadowknight aligned with the Smash 4 Backroom against Khaos! aligned with the Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Forums with Khaos! You win when the mafia is greater to or equal to the amount of independent or Town-aligned members remain. Your character is known for having no concern for Honor and Integrity. Although you feel a little weird ever since that mist came around... ah well, it's nothing to a Knight of Fear!

During the Day you may ban the vote of another player by granting themDishonor. You possess Repulsion which causes one less vote needed in order to you to be locked into a lynch. Also, because of your Disgrace you are required to place a vote, if possible, on any player that only needs one more to be locked into a lynch, in other words, you must hammer players if you are able. Each Day phase as the Shadowknight you may bestow another player with the power of Dishonor, Repulsion, and Disgrace.

Once during the game you may override a lynch causing, under NORMAL circumstances, the second highest vote count to be used instead. All you have to do is send the command Save the Damned! You may not use this on yourself.

During the Night you may use your Demand skill to try and force an investigative role to check someone of your choice, try to force a protective role to heal someone of your choice, and a role-blocker role to block someone of your choice. If they choose to object to the command they cannot perform the action. You can then Lead the other two with an option of your choice and if they comply or disobey you will be informed; however, they will have access to that skill regardless.

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Yours is to have the LEAST amount of votes against you by the end of the game, only the votes that stick at the end of the Day phase counting. You must keep your Persona in the eyes of the people in-tact.. Achoo! Gosh, are you allergic to that mist stuff? Yuck..
Congratulations! You're the Time Mage, aligned with the Smash 4 Backroom against Khaos! You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated. Your character is is known for his management of the Clocktower, which seems to mostly be in ruin...

Each Night you may use the power of Stop: User in order to effectively roleblock them by suspending them in time and space. If you do not, you can instead cast Rewind, a spell that ensure that if you die you can come back to life, but when your magic runs out after an entire phase you will die. If you do neither, you may cast Gravity on a player, and whoever he or she targets that Night will be informed of it, but not the action itself.

You may, once per game, during any phase, cast Hasten the World in order to halve the length of any phase.

You may, once per game, during any phase, cast Slow World and extend that phase by another 24 hours!

You may cast a spell called Replay which will make a player use the same action they used the previous Night.

Each Day phase you may cast Quicken: User and allow that player to cast two separate votes in the time it takes one. It cannot be yourself. Edit: The second vote they receive cannot be placed on the same person the first vote is on.

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Yours involves the inexplicable tiny clock. The Clocktower was beloved to you, how could it not be when you managed its machinery for so long? Fortunately, you needn't lament, for the small clock that remains was built for disastrous situations and can reverse time to before it was destroyed! It's time is currently on 9:00, but the goal that triggers its magic is on12:00. Unfortunately, only the events of the game will be able to manipulate the dark energy messing with its cogs right now. Each phase where no one dies is considered an hour, an independent player's death will be considered four, a mafia member's death will be considered three, and a town member's death will set it back two.
Congratulations! You're the Druid aligned with the Smash 4 Backroomagainst Khaos! You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated. Your character is known for taking on the transformations of the animals of the wild in order to make use of their acute senses and natural weapons at the cost of being a little simple-minded.

Each Day you must choose a stance you're not already in to become one of three animals.

Wolf: In this form you must vote so long as you've posted in the main thread, lest you suffer a penalty from not satisfying your Feral Hunger. At Night you may test a claim that someone has made so long as it has nothing to do with their alignment (that'd be OP) with the Sniff skill. Also, in this form, passively you wait to pounce on any violent intruders to defend yourself with a pack of your wolf brethren, your Wolf Pack skill.

Bear: In this form you can only vote on a player that has already been voted for, lest you suffer a penalty due to throwing your Massive Size passive. At Night you may Guard: User in order to take the effects of skills targeting that player in order to hopefully protect them from harm. Also, in this form, you are informed of the first skill used against you due to Intimidation.

Falcon: In this form your votes disappear after one vote due to your Flightypassive. At the end of the Night you will learn of every target that was targeted with something as an informative role with your Hawkeye skill. Also, in this form, passively you avoid the first skill used against you with your Wing Gale skill.

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Each form has an independent one and only the one you are transformed into at the end of the game counts. As the Wolf, you must be the first one to vote for a target that is lynched three times. As the Bear, you must be on the wagon of most of the successful lynches by the end of the game. As the Falcon, you must be the last one to vote for a target that is lynched (to Hammer) three times.
Congratulations! You're the Monk, aligned with the Smash 4 Backroomagainst Khaos! You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated. Your character is known for meditating hours on end by yourself as you contemplate the Lord's creation.

Every Night phase you go without being targeted by someone, you are granted a Dream designed for you to interpret that contains potential information regarding what is going on in the game and who each person might be! Or, like many dreams, there will be distracting and meaningless info. Oops. Over time these dreams might disappear as you forget them, you've been warned!

Each Night you may target a player with Peace: User and he will not be able to target you with any actions unless they contain the immense hatred filled with actions meant to kill.

Empath Consciousness is a new skill that you may activate at Night independently of the above skill which will inform you of all players that are currently being targeted by skills in role PMs. For example, if I was a player and targeting you, you'd be informed that right now you are being targeted.

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Yours is to go three Nights by the end of the game without having been targeted. You need your peace and quiet!
Congratulations! You're the Dancer, aligned with the Smash 4 Backroomagainst Khaos! You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated. Your character is very well known for singing praises to your Lord and entertaining the Town with your Stage.

Once each game you may choose to use Host Party through your Role PM during a day phase in order to have the following Night phase become, effectively, a Day phase. Everyone through the Night will be talking in the main thread and not in the private messages, and everyone will once again be voting to eliminate scum. People may not use Night actions either. A player may elect to leave the party publicly, but they can only use their powers on people out of the party as well, and can only message people outside of the party. Do this forfeits one's right to speak in the Townsquare until the next Day begins.

During each Day phase you may also use Spotlight: User in the Role PM in order to bring up a player upon the stage, who will be announced in front of everyone, and must post at least ten times during that phase or else lose their vote and any actions that Day or Night.

At the end of each Night phase you will randomly get a piece of Gossip that was spoken during that period.

During the Night you may target one player with Chit Chat: User, and you will learn the name of their role.

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Yours is to make sure that by the end, every living player has posted at least fifty times within the main thread. Better get people talking!!!
Congratulations! You're the Geomancer, aligned with the Smash 4 Backroom against Khaos! You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated. Your character is known for their mastery over the elements.

Inevitably, Khaos will institute games during each Day that will be mixing up how each phase plays out. But being an expert at manipulating your environment for what it is, in each of these games you will be granted an inherent advantage compared to the rest and thus will not be as much of a pawn as the rest of the players. This passive is called One with Nature.

During each Day you may also extends your gift to one other player of your choicing by Bless: User in your Role PM.

Each Night you will receive a Premonition of what is to come during the next Day since you are in-tune with nature and its changes.

Once per game you may also end any ONE of the Khaos games if perceived to be undesired and simply conduct pure mafia instead by using the Get Back to Our Roots spell.

Each player has a personal victory achievement that must be fulfilled or else they are not considered the true winners at the end of the game. Yours is to select a single player at the very start. You may not Bless this player throughout the entire game and must make sure they survive. Better hope you don't pick a mafiaso!

Third Party:

Congratulations! You're the Witch Doctor, aligned with no one else but your Self! You win when everyone else is dead, of course. Your character is known for doing things their own way and causing havoc and making a joke at another's expense. Hey, this utopia is a bit boring for you.

To accomplish this goal, you've a long range of one-shot spells at your disposal.

One-Night Stand: You may make two target players fall in love for just one phase at Night. The way it is meant to be.

Glass Man: One target at Night becomes made of sensitive glass made to shatter, and if targeted by two other players aside from yourself, their newfound frailty will cause them to fall apart. To death.

Verbatim: You may cast a spell on everyone that involves you choosing three words, a noun, adjective, and adverb, and the first player to utter them during that Night phase dies horribly.

Self-Conscious Hex: You may make a player a little anxious of what others think, and if he or she has the second highest vote count (three vote minimum) at the end of the day, he dies as well.

Foolhardy: You can make a person believe for an entire Day that they are a Fool that can only win by having himself killed. Except that won't quite be true...

Bomberman: You can also strap a bomb to someone's back that will be removed after the Night phase after they realize it is there. Let's just pretend this is a spell and not what it is.

Scum World: You may cast this spell to make everyone, upon any possible investigative skills, for this Night, to come up Guilty without fail.

Killer Surgeons and Nurturing Monsters: With this spell, any kills that Night will become a Doctor skill instead, and any protective skills will become Night Kills.

Simon Says: With this spell you may negotiate some sort of self-designed posting restriction to impose on a player that they must follow or be modkilled on the spot for breaking an official rule! As with the others spells, it only lasts a Day.

I'm Having Some Doubts Here: You may give me permission to inform a player that he can only win with the opposing faction now even though that won't be true and after a Day I'll say "j/k".

Doom: Can kill a player for sure... although it will take three entire Days for them to actually die. Countdown ends if you die.

Deal with the Devil: You may think of one of the players remaining in the game during the Night and Satan himself will know of your suggestion...

Ring of Gyges: You may grant a player other than yourself at Night the ability to perform a Night kill if they so choose. Players you've spoken too during that Night cannot be targeted with this hex. A player with this hex on them can kill whoever they like.
Congratulations! You're the Jester aligned with... well, you don't really know actually, you're a fool. You win when... well you don't know where you stand. Maybe just use your gut? Hopefully by the end, you did right by your actions! You're known for your whimsy and Jack-of-all-trades power.

The Jester receives a deck of cards filled with magic that can be activated when played. Your hand will start off with three and with each phase passed where a card is used you will draw one in return (you've no maximum hand-size). Used cards will go to the bottom of your deck. Unfortunately, you can't really be arsed to remember your entire deck. Oh well. Here's what the luck of the draw has offered you at the start:

You've some inherent one-shot abilities called This Hand Sucks! which allows you to discard one card and let you draw two in its place. Another is All my Best Cards Are On the Bottom That's the Only Reason I'm Losing allows you to reshuffle your entire deck. The third is Heart of the Cards! which allows you to beseech for a type of card and allow you to draw it if such a card exists, because using the Heart of the Cards is a code-word for cheating. Ace Up My Sleeve is a fourth where you reveal you actual was holding onto something secretly this entire time which allows you to confirm that the action you take works.

Pro-tip: Don't have roles that don't show everything when they die. Somehow I didn't even learn this after the Manlyspirit debacle because I did it with God of Robert's autocrat status and the universe of course had to repeat history and have that player be the one that is revived and drastically changed the outcome of the game unintentionally.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

God Robert's Cousin God Robert's Cousin and @TheFirstPoppyBro hosted an Undertale mafia game with 18 players.

Let's just say my alignment wasn't a friendly one. :p

Now the game starts and AEMehr AEMehr is nowhere to be seen. He never posts once. Except we see him like posts... he's watching, but not playing. Yet he signed up and is in the roster.

Strangely at Night players receive messages or something, garbled riddles. Omens for the town.

Rapidly @IsmaR is lynched and wound up being Chara, scum, and now Disfunkshunal Disfunkshunal practically gives up, which is unusual for him. He admits his guilt. This completely leaves me baffled, almost even troubled. I ask him why he would do such a thing.

Well... just take a look at AEM's role:

You are W.D. Gaster, the Removed.
Due to a nasty accident involving the Core, you are dead. Well, not dead so much as erased from this timeline altogether. You technically don't even exist anymore. You are everywhere and nowhere. You see and know everything yet lack the means to speak it in tongue known to mortals. In spite of all this, you remember many of these people and only wish to see that they make it through this circumstance alive, so it's your job to try to tell them what you know.
+You start the game seeing everyone's role PMs.
+You cannot be lynched.
+[Fade: Player] - Once per Day, you are able to neutralize someone's vote that Day as long as they are not Mafia.
+[Reach: Player] - Each Night, you may send anonymous messages directly to peoples' Role PMs.

=Every night-action on you fails.
=If you are lynched, your win condition will change.

-You cannot vote and do not count towards the Town's total number of players.
-You cannot communicate with other players directly via posting in the daytime or in a conversation.
-Any message sent will be translated into zalgo text and wing dings, paraphrasing what you said and having certain information like player names and character names being redacted altogether. The less cryptic you are, the more is changed.

You are Third-Party. However, you win when all threats to the Town are eliminated.

See, AEM knew everything, he just couldn't directly and flat out say it. Unfortunately, referencing usernames, avatars, roles... well, basically he loop holed his way through the limits and the hosts, instead of reeling the role in, let it pass because it passed their initial role design.

The town fully believed they were being given info from the game's graveyard PM itself as AEM likes posts. I don't fully believe it myself, it's too ridiculous, too broken, the hosts would never allow this to happen! Yet the town starts to mention that AEM hinted at me as a threat as well, and that after Disfunk, I am to follow. Fighting tooth and nail, I fail to convince them or myself and Disfunk is lynched and revealed to be the godfather Flowey.

But shockingly, to everyone's surprise, the hosts inform everyone the game is now over, the mafia defeated. In an 18 player game there were only two mafiasos and they were swiftly taken care of. There were twice as many third parties as mafia lol.

So happy ending right? The town wins! Except... no, actually. Everyone loses.

Everyone but me that is. :laugh:

You are Jerry. Gross.
Seriously, who invited you?
+Even voting on you is hard because it means acknowledging you and your awful attitude. Between that and your high defense, you are immune to the first 2 votes placed on you.
+That high defense gives you a one-shot Bulletproof, too. Ugh.
-You come up highly-dangerous on Cop-checks. Not because you're actually dangerous, it's just that nobody likes you, Jerry.

You are Third-Party. You win if you survive until the end of the game. Nobody wants that though, so everyone else, regardless of faction, will lose if you win.

So because the town saved me for last, they automatically just lost, and everyone was so disappointed. Even me, because I enjoyed the idea of fighting against the world, being truly independent. But I did practically nothing and ended up winning by chance. The mafia queue thread that kept track of the log of games and who wins didn't even mark it as a Third Party win for me, but instead just says the town won. ALL LIES! I ALONE WON! ME! :p
ah yes, third-party aem is always the most fun aem

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I stand by the opinion that complex well designed mafia's are the best mafia's.

too simple is dull.

D

Deleted member

too simple is dull.
I agree, but if I can only properly play them....
Which is one of the reasons why I am skipping your mafia. Last time I tried going complex, no one took me seriously and I was banned from Holder's mafia games.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

too simple is dull.
I agree that this kind of game can be amazing, but only if the host makes a good job at making it simple for the players to understand it.

If the players can't even understand the game, then a simple and dull vanilla could actually be more fun for them.

Simple games also easier for the host(s) to manage :p

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
We actually have two versions of this thread, one is a mafia role thread that’s buried somewhere, and the other is a meta discussion properly named the Salt Factory, this can probably superimpose both of them, but I suggest a title swap to Salt factory since that seems accurate anyways

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Haha no biggie at all. I am so used to 3 day long Day Phases since that's what it has been for 8 years.

I will get used to it hopefully. Thanks for letting us know!

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
#HBC | J #HBC | J Kantrip Kantrip

yeah I'm sorry but the NZone invasion only accepts 24-hour phases at most before they riot
That's not entirely true. Holder neglected to mention the second game we played which had one phase last for a couple years. We're actually still in the third or fourth night phase of that game.

For a while, 48hr day phases were the norm but we often experienced a significant activity drop off around the third day phase. 24hr phases allowed for a more consistent level of activity throughout.

wat?

I would have been ****ing pissed if I was a mafisoso and stuck with only one ally
:061:
Believe me, I was. That combined with the fact that a player was told all of the roles and was subsequently allowed to publicly narrow down the pool of mafioso candidates to those with blue text left me with soured by the game :laugh:

Top Bottom