• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni's Guide to Mastering Fox v.4.5 - UPDATE vs. Ice Climbers

Dalal

Smash Ace
Final Destination - I have been trying to master t
Oh Oh Okay Okay ... I understand what that was all about now... lol I saw the thread. I liked reading the comments that were given, and how Tipo was getting bugged by the repeated negative comments... Finally Mic came along and closed it...

Tipo mastr said:
Okay, that concludes my sucky guide. Questions? Critisism? compliments(not possible, this guide is horrible)?
So Tipo probably doesn't care anymore...

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
telling people that my name is pronouced "Typ
JFox said:
Dalal I wasn't talkin about Tipo's HRC guide. I was actually referring the the Fox, Falco guide he made:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=58836

But yeah Tipo is a good guy, and much better than a lot of the sorry noobs that float around the Fox/Falco threads. In fact, I like him a lot and would never think of humiliating him. By the way, that link again is this: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=58836

Once more for effect. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=58836

HAHA, sorry Tipo.
...Did you HAVE to give out the link? I mean, REALLY!!! Its bad enough that you mentioned it! Look guys, I made a mistake. Forgive and forget, right? If you don't hush-hush about this I'm gonna replace the sandbag with you in home run contest And try(key word) to get 3000 feet with Falco.

HAHAHA! Looking back, now I have 3700 with falco, and Im going for 4k!

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
wow...makes me realize how much i have to work on with my fox. i'll admit i never...like ever use fox so im naturally only decent to bad with him. thanks omni im really gonna use this guide.

Zander805

Smash Ace
Grats!

This is a really cool guide. I play Falco, so this is really good for someone like me who knows all of the basic moves and applications and just wants to read something easy and to-the-point in order to have a decent Fox.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
Very well organized, Omni. I love the way that you broke down fox's technical aspects into well-thought-out sections. Good information put into a non-wordy guide. :)

Joker

Smash Ace
Gay?!?!??

Who said Gay?!?!?!?

Oh nevermind thats just the word the game says when someone goes to pick fox :laugh:

*Runs*

Zero34

Smash Lord
hmmmm...definitely need to make my waveshine smoother

but i had a random fox question. in perfect control there was a clip of fox shining yet moving at the same time, kinda like flarefox's sig at the end. how does that work?

Dalal

Smash Ace
Final Destination - I have been trying to master t
I don't know for sure, but here's my theory:

He was doing consecutive JC'd shines, but was jumping in a diagonal direction instead of straight up. You know when you jump out of your shine in a particular direction. I think that's what was going on in the vid. You can do this if you shine, then, instead of pressing straight up, hold a diagonal-up direction on the stick. This will cause you to jump diagonally. Shine right before you jump, and I think you'll stay on the ground but move just a little bit. I think that's what's going on... but I'm not sure.

Joker

Smash Ace
To Omni : wtf are you talking about?

i dont suck with Fox, i plain and simply DONT play him.
So you've got it all wrong.
If you hadnt figured it out, i came here to make an obvious John, and show off my gay banner :ohwell: so give out bad rep. if you want, but get ya story straight first :ohwell:

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Joker: Who the **** are you and why the **** are you voicing your opinion towards me like I'd actually care? I've never even spoken with you.

Zero: I haven't seen the video you were talking about. With FlareFox's signature, the Fox is waveshing in one direction, then quickly waveshining on spot (which I guess you could call "spot shining"). Like Dalal said, he's air-dodging downwards after the shine keeping him in the same location. Then the Fox changes direction and does another waveshine and repeats. To be honest, I can't do that ****. It looks cool though.

By the way, I haven't forgot about the guide guys. To be honest, I've been reluctant to finish because of the annoying threads that continue to pop-up in this forum despite my effort to eradicate them with this guide. However, since I know that my information is helping at least a few people, I've decided to continue it.

For those of you who enjoyed my guide, I appreciate the support and expect to see an awesome Advance Section coming up next!

JFox

Smash Hero
Omni: No matter how good a guide, the newbs will continue to ask stupid questions. The Fox/Falco character section seems to draw all newbs in, and every one of them are too lazy to search for their questions. So when they ask these questions, we will have a place to send them to; here! And than we will all yell and shout nasty words, and than Mic will close the thread. :) thats how things go round here, so no point in trying to fight it.

Anyway, looking forward to the advanced section!

Shuriken

Smash Apprentice
Nice guide, dispite what people say about cunningkitsune's guide being better in every way, i think this ties in well with what he didn't bother to put in. i wanna see what comes next, so finish advanced section soon

JFox

Smash Hero
YES! First to reply to update! haha.

This was really cool reading the offensive and defensive fox ideas. I know that they are mentioned often, but going into great detail makes a person think. I personally would say I play offensively with just about everyone, and after reading this I think I am going to try to intergrate more of a defensive game into the mix.

Maybe I could even use the defense offense as a mindgame on its own. Switching back and forth is a way of controlling the match and your opponents style. Start the game making your opponent think that you are a really defensive player. Than just as he is catching on, switch to offensive mode. Rattle his cage and punish him for the bad habits he picked up while you were being defensive. Than when he picks up on the switch maybe go for a mix of the two so that he has to stay on his feet or he will fall behind.(little play on words there, heh. feel free to borrow that line if ya wanna stick that in there somewhere :p )

At first when skimming I thought the update was kind of useless to my fox game, but I was wrong, it seems it not only helped my fox but just my play in general.

I hope the next update will give some tips for mindgames like the examples you mentioned. The wavedash behind the opponent, I never thought of that. I usually go right for the grab, but if there is time, that seems like a good approach. Tips like these would be cool because they give you a concrete mindgame that is explained, rather than just saying "use wavedashing and dash dancing for mindgames"

Kudos on your on your writing skills, very nicely put together. Omni, I am a huge fan of this guide, keep up the good work. Can't wait for more.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
^What he said. This is like my favorite guide, I love the way you wrote it. I already can't wait for the next update, but this update will keep me occupied for a while. Thanks.

Alex13

Smash Journeyman
Mhm, mhm, very good. This should help me start on Fox. I've been practicing a lot with Falco and in my opinion, I've mastered him now. So I'm gonna do Fox now. :lick: Thanks!

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Awesome guide for learning Fox quickly sorta and effieciently. Probably more handy then regular guides cause it goes thorugh the whole learning process with you.

ipreferpi

Smash Apprentice
Now that I think about it, can you shorthop, then press z+down to do a drill AND a fastfall, then press z again to l-cancel?

KillerCoffee

Smash Cadet
I like the simplicity, and how it is broken into lessons. Good step-by-step instructions for someone who is new to Fox or anyone. It was nice that you didn't go into too much detail about wavedashing, etc.

Good guide!

killaboy

Smash Cadet
Could you tell me how long it takes before you can short hop perfectly with fox? I can do it with same characters, but fox is just to fast right now.

P.S: Thank you very much for writing this it helps a lot.

Omni

BRoomer
GREAT NEWS! Since I'm in college, I've become a master of procrastination. Therefore instead of studying and doing homework, I'll make videos on each of the lessons below. So like... Lesson I will explain w/e, and then you'll see how it works hands on.

Cool, huh? I just need one thing: a great program for editing videos. Throw some out if you have some.

Could you tell me how long it takes before you can short hop perfectly with fox? I can do it with same characters, but fox is just to fast right now.
It all depends on the person. Fox, IMO, is the hardest because he jumps immediately after pressing X which means not much frames in between for lag. With Fox, it'll probably take a good 1-2 weeks to master. And by master, I mean being able to pull it off during regular matches; not just practice mode.

can you give me some examples for of "seemingly vulnerable situations" in a fox ditto?
1.) When your opponent is on their back and stationary, run towards their body. In many cases, they'll attempt to get you with their get-up attack so you can either shieldgrab or jump and fall down with a drillkick (leading into a grab, shine, w/e.) But I guess you can do that with anyone.

2.) Mainly Fox on Fox, a "seemingly vulnerable situation" is when your Fox opponents like chasing your roll-techs. In some cases, if you simply stand straight up, you'll look vulnerable, but you'll be able to edge out an up-tilt or a shine throwing them off balance and their tech-chasing game. Works on me all the time, lol.

foxplayer456

Smash Apprentice
wow,thats a really great fox guide....but were can i find Cunning Kitsune's guide can enyone give me the link?

Zephynazo

Zobaia -Deus- Ariana
That was a super faq=) I liked it, great job. (practice,practice,practice...)

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
Dude awesome guide this the most helpful guide I've ever seen and it helped me to become what I am with fox today. And about editing programs try windows movie maker 2 (simple and easy to use) and adobe premiere (harder to use but more options and effects).

Omni

BRoomer
I forgot all about this thing.
Yeah, I got the video software etc, but I am just way too lazy to put it together.
Ask Dalal; he's awesome.

Impervious

Smash Rookie
great guide. V useful for me. Been practisnig short hopping for around 2hours think i have finally mastered it.

Top Bottom