• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni talks about the #OneUnit Illusion

Mage4hire

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mage4hire
3DS FC
3351-5339-2464
I must say I'm surprised by the reactions here, but at this same time it really helped my understand the importance of alternate perspectives. People blaming melee fans, other people play smash 4 fans, as well as claims that it is both possible and impossible. And to be fair there have been arguments on all sides with each having decently valuable support through history events. I myself want to believe that it's possible, not because I'm going to guarantee that it is, not because there is just one group that needs to change and every thing will be better. None of that particularly matters to me as much as the concept of trying. How can we know if this is impossible until we all put in an effort, a real effort to try. This doesn't meaning everything changes overnight and we all get along as one family, but rather overtime we might be able to mutually become more appreciative of what makes every player part of this scene. I hope that this can be interpreted in a positive way by anyone who reads it, because I truly believe being kind to each other is possible, but that will never happen by one side blaming the other and telling them to fix it. It takes effort from all sides to create a balance.

AnEnemyMongoose

Smash Cadet
For those of you who are still looking for a stream to watch, I recommend Smashing Grounds. They might not have Boss or Junebug, but they'4re still fun to watch.

MegaSilver

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaSilver
It's also worth noting that I feel like Omni made things too cut and dry, almost like if you like one version of a game you don't like another, which is factually false as evident by, well, me.

qpMONKEYMIKEqp

Smash Cadet
I think the comment about project M was a little over the top. StrongBad is not stealing their copyrighted content. There are many games that get released and them modded by the community. It would be a different story if they were trying to sell project M.

On the other hand with nintendo being involved with APEX (which is more than likely the reason PM wasnt represented there). I can see why the big wigs in smash would like to shun PM to get the attention and respect of nintendo.

I just hope my local scene keeps up on PM.

And play all the smash games people dont hate =P

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
lol, it never was with melee fans constantly bashing the other games in the series
I don't know if you're trying to be "ironic" or something but this is the exact kind of **** that necessitated this video being made. Stop lashing out at people just because they don't play the same video games as you; that goes for everybody.

Ulevo

Smash Master
This is unnecessary. The community divide came from the emergence of Brawl and the controversial views that followed. If Brawl were a quality sequel, not littered by compromising bugs, imbalance, infinites, and other problems, people would have remained together. (i.e. Smash Wii U) The idea that this topic is coming up again because some people don't like Zero personally/watching Zero play, think Diddy Kong is ridiculous (he is) and because the Melee finals were post-poned (not because they're Smash Wii U haters) is silly and more of a problem than the issue these articles are trying to address.

Regardless of whether or not you prefer Melee or Smash Wii U, I don't see anyone from either community openly criticizing the game in a negative light. Not a vocal majority, anyway. It's different, but it's competitive, has relative depth, is fairly exciting, and people acknowledge this. Even though the APEX finals were atrociously boring to watch, I don't think people really believe this was due to the game itself. It was just a case of match ups and play styles, and Diddy Kong being Diddy Kong.

Project M is another issue entirely. Outside of naive, stupid anti-Melee haters, I don't see anyone openly discriminating Project M for just trying to be its own game and scene, it's just an unfortunate case of legality issues. I don't play Project M that much, but I hope it does well.

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
itt everyone who talks about "melee elitists" is just jealous and wants the melee community to piggyback their game into the tournament limelight, or help develop its meta. oneunit is pointless and i dont really see why any of the separate smash communities should feel even remotely obligated to help each other.

i mean honestly whats the point of this discussion. Let people enjoy what they enjoy, melee fans arent evil because they recognize sm4sh is a competitive flop. honestly, would the apex sm4sh stream have had even half as many viewers if it werent for melee being before and after top 8? no lol. we're not bashing sm4sh, we just dont want it to get in the way of our game.

melee has almost nothing to gain from the other smash communities, whereas all the other smash communities have a lot to gain by teaming up with the melee community.
This is a troll, right? (Sm4sh being a competitive flop lol)

Like, no one is asking anyone to help develop the other game's meta in the slightest. Sm4sh is doing just fine on our own without the Melee players, thanks.

No one is asking Melee players to help Sm4sh with viewers for streams, support with getting into tournaments, or whatever else you think we're doing. Trust me, we're just fine on our own, and if anything, Melee has barely helped us (if at all). We can probably thank the fact that our game is new and that Nintendo is actually supporting us way over the fact that Melee exists.

We as Sm4sh players simply want Melee and Project: M players to stop crapping on our game just because you don't play it or because you think it isn't competitively viable to the point where you're literally disrespecting our champion in a major tournament just because your game is about to come on. Your cheers literally did nothing for your own tournament, so you were literally just disrespecting the Sm4sh community for god knows why. You don't have to like it, support it, watch it, whatever, but we SHOULD be able to expect you to be decent people.

Going out of your way to call it a competitive farce (amongst MANY other things) is not only a poorly founded opinion, it will make new comers that are interested in any smash game look at the community and instantly turn away because they think we're a bunch of jerks that have nothing better to do than to play a nintendo fighting game and bash all of the other nintendo fighting games that aren't our own.

It's not hard to be a decent person. Stop being part of the problem and start being a decent person.

Last edited:

xpnet

Smash Cadet
When it comes down to it..

Which community gets more views when streaming?

Gimr is trying to inflate Smash 4 number with Project M people. He needs to start a NEW brand because when Nintendo discovers that Smash 4 hype was a lie they won't understand what the M stand for..

Start Fresh baby and make Smash 4 stand on it's own feet with it's own support. Haters gonna hate all day long but who brings the numbers at the end of the day?

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
So technically we should blame it all on Sakurai since he screwed us over with brawl, and since then things have been crazy divided. lol

Seriously though, imagine if brawl was everything we hoped it would be, we wouldn't have this divide, and it would be respected as a good fighting game. Then we wouldn't have a huge Brawl vs Melee scene to mess up the future

[OCK]LLama

Smash Cadet
This is a troll, right? (Sm4sh being a competitive flop lol)

Like, no one is asking anyone to help develop the other game's meta in the slightest. Sm4sh is doing just fine on our own without the Melee players, thanks.

No one is asking Melee players to help Sm4sh with viewers for streams, support with getting into tournaments, or whatever else you think we're doing. Trust me, we're just fine on our own, and if anything, Melee has barely helped us (if at all). We can probably thank the fact that our game is new and that Nintendo is actually supporting us way over the fact that Melee exists.

We as Sm4sh players simply want Melee and Project: M players to stop crapping on our game just because you don't play it or because you think it isn't competitively viable to the point where you're literally disrespecting our champion in a major tournament just because your game is about to come on. Your cheers literally did nothing for your own tournament, so you were literally just disrespecting the Sm4sh community for god knows why. You don't have to like it, support it, watch it, whatever, but we SHOULD be able to expect you to be decent people.

Going out of your way to call it a competitive farce (amongst MANY other things) is not only a poorly founded opinion, it will make new comers that are interested in any smash game look at the community and instantly turn away because they think we're a bunch of jerks that have nothing better to do than to play a nintendo fighting game and bash all of the other nintendo fighting games that aren't our own.

It's not hard to be a decent person. Stop being part of the problem and start being a decent person.
You mean the smash 4 players who had to do nothing to get into majors like EVO, but just end up being there anyways? Get real, the entire community has been riding on melee's success for a while now, even Brawl did it.

I don't like elitism from any side, but this is a fact.

But trying to be victim and saying your community are always the ones being hurt isn't helping either, it's just making a certain community stay in denial.

But y'know, only Melee deserves crowd heckling. I mean, look at Inui!

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
You mean the smash 4 players who had to do nothing to get into majors like EVO, but just end up being there anyways? Get real, the entire community has been riding on melee's success for a while now, even Brawl did it.

I don't like elitism from any side, but this is a fact.

But trying to be victim and saying your community are always the ones being hurt isn't helping either, it's just making a certain community stay in denial.

But y'know, only Melee deserves crowd heckling. I mean, look at Inui!
Like I said, we can thank the fact that our game is new and that Nintendo is actually behind us more than we can thank Melee.

I know the Smash4 community has problems we need to fix. However, the fact that people are posting things like the thing I previously quoted shows that people somehow actually think that we're relying on Melee in order to be a competitive scene and trying to take the spotlight from them or something. We're definitely not. We'd be perfectly fine without Melee.

Do you (or anyone) think that we (the Sm4sh players) wanted to wait for Melee top 16 or whatever before we got to watch our game? Hell no. We wanted to watch our game just as much as you wanted to watch yours. You did NOT see us disrespect Melee players offline (or online really) just because Melee was playing at 6 when we were promised Smash4. Common sense and being a decent individual isn't complex.

Also, do you really think that the EVO staff looked at Smash4 and was like "THIS WILL GET AS MUCH HYPE AS MELEE LET'S PUT IT IN THERE"? Not in the slightest. I can guarantee you that one of the biggest reasons that Smash4 is in that roster is because Nintendo is supporting it. The other reasons are probably because they saw how together the Smash (and I mean Smash, not just Melee) community was when they raised money for EVO and the fact that the game is new.

Trust me, I'm sure a majority (if not all) of the Sm4sh players would be perfectly fine with smaller viewer numbers if it meant avoiding the vocal minority of Melee fans that literally **** on our game.

Our (Sm4sh's) biggest problem imo is that we play the victim and that we yell at people for playing a fossilized game or a mod (amongst other problems). Trust me, if I see any sm4sh players trash talking Melee/Project: M, I will call it out and tell them that Melee and Project: M are both successful for a reason regardless of how little I truly care about either of those games. If you can't do that for Sm4sh, you're part of the problem.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
The comments in this thread are eye-opening and unsettling. Do we really have this many people in the community who can't respect each other's personal preferences? Even people defending Sm4sh are casually insulting Brawl fans, probably without even realizing it.

Y'all need to realize that each iteration of the game brings something different to the table, so of course they're going to attract different crowds. Whether the game is more tech-heavy or defensive, it's still competitive, and a failure to recognize a different form of competition is on the fault of the viewer. None of these games are qualitatively better than one another, but if you view every game as though it should play the same as the last, it's not going to match your expectations, so you're not going to be happy - and that's perfectly fine if you're not. However, nobody has any right to trash on fellow community members who prefer something different than themselves, and we shouldn't leave any room for short-sighted hecklers preventing the community from growing by scaring newcomers away.

I see this kind of childish behavior, and I have to wonder why I invest so much of my time playing this game. Open your eyes - Smash is not about you, you are not owed your perfect dream experience. The community is bigger than you and your selfish needs. If you can't adapt to change and accept others for their preferences, then you're bringing us all down. Grow up.

[OCK]LLama

Smash Cadet
Like I said, we can thank the fact that our game is new and that Nintendo is actually behind us more than we can thank Melee.

I know the Smash4 community has problems we need to fix. However, the fact that people are posting things like the thing I previously quoted shows that people somehow actually think that we're relying on Melee in order to be a competitive scene and trying to take the spotlight from them or something. We're definitely not. We'd be perfectly fine without Melee.

Do you (or anyone) think that we (the Sm4sh players) wanted to wait for Melee top 16 or whatever before we got to watch our game? Hell no. We wanted to watch our game just as much as you wanted to watch yours. You did NOT see us disrespect Melee players offline (or online really) just because Melee was playing at 6 when we were promised Smash4. Common sense and being a decent individual isn't complex.

Also, do you really think that the EVO staff looked at Smash4 and was like "THIS WILL GET AS MUCH HYPE AS MELEE LET'S PUT IT IN THERE"? Not in the slightest. I can guarantee you that one of the biggest reasons that Smash4 is in that roster is because Nintendo is supporting it. The other reasons are probably because they saw how together the Smash (and I mean Smash, not just Melee) community was when they raised money for EVO and the fact that the game is new.

Trust me, I'm sure a majority (if not all) of the Sm4sh players would be perfectly fine with smaller viewer numbers if it meant avoiding the vocal minority of Melee fans that literally **** on our game.

Our (Sm4sh's) biggest problem imo is that we play the victim and that we yell at people for playing a fossilized game or a mod (amongst other problems). Trust me, if I see any sm4sh players trash talking Melee/Project: M, I will call it out and tell them that Melee and Project: M are both successful for a reason regardless of how little I truly care about either of those games. If you can't do that for Sm4sh, you're part of the problem.
I never justified the crowd at Apex, it was just a joke about Melee players being more tolerant about being heckled, like us choosing not to ban Inui from Apex even though we really should have.

I'm not saying either are justified, it's just that tolerance varies per community and Smash 4 has a low tolerance for this kind of stuff, which is fine, just a joke about the Inui stuff that happened a while ago (like 3 years now I think?).

I love smash 4, I bought a 3ds just for it, and I hate people who want apex to be just Melee. And ofc I will tell people not to trash on it for nos reason. But I also want each game to stay away from each other, because with how uncontrollable the communities can get, each having thousands of people and hundreds more every day, the best thing to do is just to distance from each other as much as possible so nobody gets hurt. Not a threat, but honestly we're tolerating each other less and less every day.

I grew up with 64 and played Brawl during my college years, every smash game is very important to me, and that's why I think the communities need to distance themselves, so **** like the Melee chants don't happen.

I mean, that wouldn't have happened if the timing wasn't messed up (not blaming anybody, just bad luck with day 1) and everybody would have just waited for their game to come on instead of heckling each other.

Last edited:

Samuch

Smash Cadet
The PM comment was totally off. I heard "PM is full of brats..." here, I was okay with it, because I've seen what he's talking about.

Didn't expect him to say "...that think stealing intellectual property blah blah blah..."

That's total bull****. There was no stealing... The PMDT simply MODDED the game. They didn't TAKE anything. They never pretended like it was their game. They never pretended like the modding process was super complicated.

Had a hard time taking him seriously after that.

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
The Smash community has always been a diverse group and we've always been praised for it. It's better to have a Smash community filled with different people, holding different opinions, than a circlejerk of Smash fanboys. It's only healthy to get some discussions.
Though I agree that there is no need to be a douchebag about what boils down to video game preferences, I don't think the banter between Melee and Smash 4 fans are nearly as big of a problem as some make it out to be.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
This video is the sad truth of Smash community...

Im gonna said this but Sakurai and project M answers the things we want.

In Smash 4 we have this :4megaman::4pacman::4shulk::4sonic::4olimar:.
In project M we have :mewtwopm::roypm: and Making a melee game more accessible with all the characters.

People didn't care because is not melee. THAT ALL. Yet add lot of love but the reason is not melee 2.0 is the only reason is not accepted.

Even in Smash 5 is they add Ridley, Whorever Hype character add here or Presentation. (Even graphics improved)

Is not play like melee with don't care. That what people gonna say.

I wish the Smash community don't stay in the past or we never move on.
OneUni will never happen but there peiople out there that they can support at least all smash game.

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
what's that? there is salt between communities? oh i didn't notice from my little island in smash 64 land ;) jk but really you dont see that kinda salt from 64.... or brawl xP

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I never justified the crowd at Apex, it was just a joke about Melee players being more tolerant about being heckled, like us choosing not to ban Inui from Apex even though we really should have.

I'm not saying either are justified, it's just that tolerance varies per community and Smash 4 has a low tolerance for this kind of stuff, which is fine, just a joke about the Inui stuff that happened a while ago (like 3 years now I think?).

I love smash 4, I bought a 3ds just for it, and I hate people who want apex to be just Melee. And ofc I will tell people not to trash on it for nos reason. But I also want each game to stay away from each other, because with how uncontrollable the communities can get, each having thousands of people and hundreds more every day, the best thing to do is just to distance from each other as much as possible so nobody gets hurt. Not a threat, but honestly we're tolerating each other less and less every day.

I grew up with 64 and played Brawl during my college years, every smash game is very important to me, and that's why I think the communities need to distance themselves, so **** like the Melee chants don't happen.

I mean, that wouldn't have happened if the timing wasn't messed up (not blaming anybody, just bad luck with day 1) and everybody would have just waited for their game to come on instead of heckling each other.
I apologize. Most of the "you" stuff was honestly directed more-so towards the vocal minority of the Melee community than you. That's my fault for failing to make that evident in my post.

I also failed to recognize the Inui joke because I stopped following Brawl nationals in 2011 (probably earlier, I honestly can't remember) and only played locally/regionally. I apologize. :(

I think the biggest problem with community splitting is that it then gets into local communities. Smash isn't just a national level game. It also involves local communities. You can't just say "Brawl/Sm4sh, Project: M, and Melee aren't the same community" and expect the local scenes to be together. Local scenes (depending on the amount of players in each group) really do need the support of one another. Melee players need Sm4sh players to host their tournaments in the beginning so that they can start building their game's local scene (and vise-versa). Project: M players need Sm4sh/Melee players to host their games as official tournaments so people see what all of the hype is about first-hand. If the communities become truly split, then this idea becomes simply unrealistic, and it hurts local communities more than it helps them. :/

Our job as smash players in my opinion is to 1) enjoy our game and 2) make sure that the players in our local scene play the game that THEY enjoy, not just the game that we ourselves enjoy. If a Sm4sh player hates the defensive play of Sm4sh, I'm going to direct him towards Melee AND Project: M. If Melee is too fast paced for someone playing the game and they're thoroughly not enjoying it because of that, I'd hope that the Melee player would say "Sm4sh is a slower-paced game if you want to try that" or something similar.

There are so many ways that we can stick together as a community that don't involve actually liking one another's game. It's not all just big picture. If we implement these things in our local scenes thoroughly, the chances of seeing it come into play at bigger events grows.

I think our goal as a smash community should be that we end up doing smaller things to help one another instead of just saying "Melee is outdated", "Project: M is a mod" or "Sm4sh is bad". I'm guilty of being bad about this, but I'm starting to work towards fixing that. Hopefully others do as well.

Last edited:

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
Melee elitist signing on. Nope, your baby garbage game will never accept because it's the most casual game since bejeweled. Think about it this way: melee players don't **** on smash 64 events. Why? While it's not melee it is a highly technical game of skill where you need to be able to preform a lot of advanced technicalities and pull off 0 to death kills. Smash 4 is not a competitive game like smash 64 is, and will die like brawl did before it, so stop demanding we respect you for no reason other then there is a Smash logo on your game. We dont like casuals game. We hated brawl 1, we are going to hate on brawl 2.

MegaSilver

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaSilver
I think the real boiling point that brought us to this is that while Brawl wasn't a bad game at all, the tripping and other slowness issues bogged it down a bunch, so there were legitimate complaints. Now you have a legitimately really really good game gameplay wise in Smash 4, and it's still getting tons of hate from Melee fans.

People who follow all the games (which is basically what "Smash 4" fans are, they're not Smash 4 fans as much as "Smash Series" fans), are now starting to fire back because they realize its not "Brawl Hate", it's "Anything that's not Melee" hate and are starting to retaliate. That's why all of a sudden we're having a bit of a Smash Civil War.

Of course I'll also add in that the Smash Series fans who spew toxic against the Melee Fans are just as bad as Melee fans who heckled the Smash 4 finals at APEX. That's just throwing fuel on the fire and makes things worse.

D

Deleted member

Never going to happen. The well has already been poisoned to the extend that nobody knows what preferences are, and you can only be "wrong" if you like a game that they don't prefer.

I'm sick and tired of this community being so offensive and defensive all the time. There isn't one Smash 4 tournament video I see where some ass doesn't come in and talks bull about the game's competitive scene. And usually it results in an argument where someone tries to discredit their respective preferences.

It's as if "tolerance of others" is a stranger to everybody at this point. And it's just growing out of hand, as is evident by the sickening Melee chants during APEX.

And don't even get me started on the "for fun" versus "for glory" parts of the community. Such elitism on both sides.

Ur2Slow

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sponger64
OneUnit has many flaws to it. It's not really about these communities blindly hating each other, but the problems that come with trying to group them together. Project M has legal problems that's leading to its lack of big tournaments/streaming, Sm4sh has the problem of still not having rules that everyone can agree with (and small groups from other communities having a lack of tolerance for it), and melee has the problem of being labeled "elitists" due to some bad apples in the crowd. Honestly, OneUnit will never work if these problems never get solved

Last edited:

Marth Regalia

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-4228-5850
Melee elitist signing on. Nope, your baby garbage game will never accept because it's the most casual game since bejeweled. Think about it this way: melee players don't **** on smash 64 events. Why? While it's not melee it is a highly technical game of skill where you need to be able to preform a lot of advanced technicalities and pull off 0 to death kills. Smash 4 is not a competitive game like smash 64 is, and will die like brawl did before it, so stop demanding we respect you for no reason other then there is a Smash logo on your game. We dont like casuals game. We hated brawl 1, we are going to hate on brawl 2.
The mindset that you have is the root of the problem.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I actually was the one who created #oneunit when Brawl came out. I single handedly unified the entire smash community promoting love, and peace... wavedashing everywhere I went.

lolfoxfd.jpg

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Holy ****. Sounding like 2007 me right there. Don't steal my thunder or I'll hit you with a DBZ type attack young man.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Some of these article titles make me feel like I'm on Kotaku...
That aside, this #oneunit ideology is something that can't happen so long as Nintendo is involved with the competitive community.

MegaSilver

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaSilver
Some of these article titles make me feel like I'm on Kotaku...
That aside, this #oneunit ideology is something that can't happen so long as Nintendo is involved with the competitive community.
How does Nintendo have something to do with the magic hashtag not working?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
other fighting game communities are a lil different cause usually theres more dev involvement and people shift over to the new game because theres more money on the line. until nintendo starts dropping mad pot bonuses for sm4sh majors on the regular i wouldnt expect anyone to "convert." smash is such a grassroots scene that its easy to get annoyed when someone plants a weed that tries sucking up your nutrients.

but hey, some people find dandelions beautiful
>Says Melee fans aren't the problem
>Treats Smash 4 as trash that should be forgotten
>Is a Melee fan

This is entirely why there is a divide. This opinion is simply that; an opinion. But to state it as fact is toxic and helps nothing.

If you want Smash Bros., the game and the community, to grow, then we need to support all games. I prefer Smash 4 in almost every aspect, yet during Apex I switched between both games because I enjoy both from time to time. Both games have flaws. Neither are perfect.

We need to fix things to grow. Plain and simple.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
You can whine all you like, but we have no reason to accept your casual game. Brawl kids be like "respect is earned not given. Wait, you don't like smash 4? WAAA! WHY WONT YOU LOVE ME?"
Why hate on smash 4 though?

It's not a BAD game. It's just kind of boring to watch.

Melee being more technical doesn't automatically make it better, it's a matter of opinion.

What I'm saying is, you're entitled to your opinion but your attitude is very negative and reflects badly on the melee community.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
The best thing that could happen would be for the smash4 and melee crowds to just leave each other alone except in instances where people play multiple games. The problem comes when the games clash. PM should stop getting shafted and smash4 and melee should not share a stream. They should be kept separate. At least until they learn to get along.

Another problem comes from that fact the some people don't like watching other games. Some find watching melee annoying and some find watching smash 4 boring. Some people hate PM just to hate it. Hating it because it is a mod is not legit, who cares if it's a mod! You hate it because you want to hate it, whether it be for jealousy cause it replaced brawl or because you get a sick pleasure from the idea that the talented people who made it might get in trouble. It doesn't matter if you don't like playing it or watching it, fine. Don't. However insulting it and hating it for no reason just shows your insecurity.

If people don't like a game fine, leave that game alone. People who don't like smash4 stop talking about smash4. If you talk bad about it, then you are just being insecure and hateful for no reason, when you could be playing the game you love. People who don't like Melee stop talking about melee. You are just being insecure and hateful for no reason. Telling people to move on just shows that you are scared that your game will be eclipsed, if your game is good it doesn't need you to talk bad about melee. People who don't like PM stop hating on PM and being mean by showing joy when PM gets shafted. It makes you look like a jerk. Play your own game, watch your own game and enjoy your own game. STOP trying to ruin everyone else's fun!

Last edited:

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
How does Nintendo have something to do with the magic hashtag not working?
Nintendo's involvement has hurt PM, as can be seen by the situation by VGBC (Nintendo said nothing about PM, but just because Nintendo is involved, he's dropping the game). As long as Nintendo is a factor, PM is going to have a hard time growing, and Smash 4 has lead to the game being somewhat shunned at major event, more so because Smash 4 is new and Nintendo is throwing money around than because of anything else. It's only natural that PM players will feel hostility towards Smash 4.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Then why can't you keep it to yourself? Nobody's asking you to change your opinion, but blatant disrespect towards others just because they're different from you is the foundation of bigotry.

There's only one part of your entire post that's accurate:
Smash 4 is not a competitive game like smash 64 is
That is right. Smash 4 is not competitive in the same way as 64. 64 is not competitive in the same was as Melee. Melee is not competitive in the same way as Brawl. Brawl is not competitive in the same way as PM. And so on, and so on.

Just because a game doesn't match your expectations of competition doesn't mean it isn't competitive. It's a different kind of competition. Whether you can 0-death an opponent is an irrelevant factor in the worthiness of a game. Whether you choose to accept it or not is entirely your choice, but this in no way gives anybody the right to jeer at fans of another game. We don't see Melee fans trashing Ultra Street Fighter IV or Guilty Gear Xrd, so why attack members of your own community?

What it really boils down to is this is a kneejerk reaction to feeling threatened. You've poured hours into honing your skills at Melee to be the best you can be, and that's awesome. Now, a new game comes out, and your skills don't carry over as cleanly as you'd like. You can either adapt and learn a new game, or reject and keep with the old. Either option is respectable. It only becomes a problem when you lash out at others who are becoming better than you in a different game in the series. You denounce it and try to convince everybody that it doesn't matter or it's nonexistent in order to maintain your elite status you feel entitled to, but all this does is reflect poorly upon yourself and upon the community as a whole.

The proof of this is your insistence that Brawl is dead, even though it is very much alive and was even present at the same venue.

Last edited:

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
While the "Melee" chants at Apex are certainly uncalled for, Melee vs Smash 4 wasn't the driving factor behind it. People had to move venues and change their schedule, things were running 3 hours behind schedule, people had work in the morning, and people had to drive back in the dark with ice on the roads. People were frustrated, they took out that frustration the wrong way, and now people are misinterpreting it. Of course there's still some hostility, and there's not much we can do about that, but we are overreacting.

However, it's things like this that make me support getting rid of this #oneunit idea entirely. Just run Melee and Smash 4 tournaments completely separate whenever possible. PM could be run alongside Melee as well. All 3 games would benefit from it. It's a drastic change, but frankly, hating on Smash 4 isn't going to stop, PM getting shunned isn't going to stop, and having to watch hours of a game that a majority of the people don't play or even enjoy isn't going to stop unless we change something drastic.

Undefeatedable

Smash Rookie
NNID
Undefeatedable
I remember at EVO last year, Melee was taking way longer than it should have and Marvel was supposed to be streamed right after. A bunch of people were complaining over the fact that Melee was so slow and wasn't a real fighting game, but a bunch of people came to defend it and express their love for the game. I remember seeing a bunch of "Save Marvel", "Just make the sets Best of 2!", and "Is this set STILL going on!?" Hmm... sounds familiar.

Top Bottom