• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni talks about the #OneUnit Illusion

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
wow, this video got boring super fast. anyways, melee is the best smash game by far and trying to force any of the others to be as competitive is a waste of time. have tourneys, play for fun, but sm4sh is never going to be a hit at mlg.

KVLTofMetal

Smash Lord
NNID
KVLTLancelot
wow, this video got boring super fast. anyways, melee is the best smash game by far and trying to force any of the others to be as competitive is a waste of time. have tourneys, play for fun, but sm4sh is never going to be a hit at mlg.
So YOU'RE one of those people he talked about

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
If you don't like the game, don't play the game. And never judge a game until you tried it.

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
lol, it never was with melee fans constantly bashing the other games in the series
Aren't you just perpetuating the same finger pointing that this very video describes? All parties are at fault.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Ok guys, you may think that #oneunit will never be fully achieved.

...but it doesn't hurt to try being a better person, amirite?.

Kati

Smash Lord
@ Morbi Morbi

No I mean each community, as the video also points out, we should call out those within our respective communities who lash out at others.

It doesn't matter if you are the stereo type or not. We all should shoulder the responsibility if we want to improve the status quo.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Brawl, 64, Wii U, 3DS, Melee, PM...
It's all Smash Bros. and it's all lots of fun. One isn't better than the other. Better is subjective and isn't what truly matters.

Just play the game guys.

I love the entire Smash Community and I have respect for anyone who plays Smash and therefore supports the Community.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
what do you mean? it clearly says the tag was created in 2013 for Evo.
I actually made an editing mistake earlier on that one and quickly edited it; it said 2015 APEX originally.

It's okay though it's all good now. Seeing some interesting responses weighing in; I'm going to sit on the backseat for the rest of this one.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Eh.. The whole #OneUnit thing wasn't even really a thing to begin with, was it?

Wasn't it just some campaign that was created a few years ago by some Melee players that were trying to get Brawl/PM players to donate money so that a Smash game(Melee obviously) would be entered into EVO, or something along those lines?

Unfortunately, I don't see #OneUnit ever being a reality. In a lot of Smashers' eyes out there, Melee is the perfect Smash game and nothing will ever be able to top it.. Outside of a Melee HD remake, or something, lol.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I was with this until he said the PM community was full of people saying it's okay to steal

Morbi

Scavenger
@ Morbi Morbi

No I mean each community, as the video also points out, we should call out those within our respective communities who lash out at others.

It doesn't matter if you are the stereo type or not. We all should shoulder the responsibility if we want to improve the status quo.
That is the problem, no community is at fault. Certain individuals within the Smash community are the problem. For some reason, people seem to think it is ideal to generalize an entire community based on their empirical data regarding the perspectives of certain miscreants, part of the whole. There is no problem to fix aside from general douchebaggery that comes from all fronts. Do not get me wrong, I am glad that Omni made a video to address the issue. However, I do not believe that people realize that this is a problem inherent to any given group. It is also a problem that has no solution. I suppose we could always oust people such as Alex Strife or Diem, but that makes us no better to be honest.

The fact that Omni did not even include Smash 64 or Brawl only serves to contradict the entire notion that #oneunit is feasible. It limits our perspective on the entire issue and presumes that the problem is only coming from people who associate with one of three groups.

Basically, haters gonna hate. If there were a practical solution, we would have found it by now.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Or we can just keep on furthering the divide until either there's tournaments for soley for each game and Smashboards is split to three different websites just so #TeamMelee doesn't have to interact with #Team4 and #TeamPM can continue playing Robin Hood ;3

That's a healthy community, right?

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Even certain people commenting in this thread are missing the point. You've got to realize that each game is what makes the whole community, and if we continue to disrespect other people's games all the time it's only going to continue that divide. Keep in mind that for a competitive scene to require growth, it's going to require new blood. Each game has a role to play there as having different games have different styles and will appeal differently to the Smash audience. Smash is growing, and we're mostly having events for multiple versions. The situation with Project M is an unfortunate one, but it's still only one streamer dropping it right now. Other folks will likely pick it up and keep it going. In addition, the vast majority of fans like multiple games of Smash, and don't wish the other games harm. If someone starts being super negative on another game b/c it's not like their favorite game, call them out on it. It's not healthy.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
So does this mean that Brawl is the middle child who everyone ignores because they're giving all their attention to the baby?

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
I was with this until he said the PM community was full of people saying it's okay to steal
He said that the PM community was full of people who think it's okay to use someone else's IP and expect the IP holder to be completely okay with it.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So does this mean that Brawl is the middle child who everyone ignores because they're giving all their attention to the baby?
Brawl is the middle child who was pushed under the rug after the Smash family adopted the genetically superior PM into the fold. Brawl might still be under that old Persian rug - probably dead. But now with the Smash 4 twins being born and all its attention being thrusted onto them, PM is angry at this amount of attention. Especially now it can get those coveted juicy Streams it gourged itself on for so long. So now it's trying to identify itself within this family and, hopefully, relearn how to stand it's own two feet. Melee is the old brother who was a zero in junior high but became the top star on the athletic teams in high school. Now he's just a balding middle aged man reliving the older days while trying to pick up on Brawl-aged chicks with advanced pick up techniques. SSB64 is basically G.R. Martin - a fat, old nerd that couldn't stop being a nerd past his fifties and writes political-fantasy novels that everyone seems to enjoy and worship him for.

The Smash Family. I'd like to see that family picture but Nintendo will take legal action if it's shown.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Yeah, keep dreaming on this whole #oneunit thing. Unless the Smash community learns to respect each other's opinions regarding competitive AND casual play, this will never happen.

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
itt everyone who talks about "melee elitists" is just jealous and wants the melee community to piggyback their game into the tournament limelight, or help develop its meta. oneunit is pointless and i dont really see why any of the separate smash communities should feel even remotely obligated to help each other.

i mean honestly whats the point of this discussion. Let people enjoy what they enjoy, melee fans arent evil because they recognize sm4sh is a competitive flop. honestly, would the apex sm4sh stream have had even half as many viewers if it werent for melee being before and after top 8? no lol. we're not bashing sm4sh, we just dont want it to get in the way of our game.

melee has almost nothing to gain from the other smash communities, whereas all the other smash communities have a lot to gain by teaming up with the melee community.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
itt everyone who talks about "melee elitists" is just jealous and wants the melee community to piggyback their game into the tournament limelight, or help develop its meta. oneunit is pointless and i dont really see why any of the separate smash communities should feel even remotely obligated to help each other.

i mean honestly whats the point of this discussion. Let people enjoy what they enjoy, melee fans arent evil because they recognize sm4sh is a competitive flop. honestly, would the apex sm4sh stream have had even half as many viewers if it werent for melee being before and after top 8? no lol. we're not bashing sm4sh, we just dont want it to get in the way of our game.

melee has almost nothing to gain from the other smash communities, whereas all the other smash communities have a lot to gain by teaming up with the melee community.
But what if Smash 4 fans want to play thier game competitively and enjoy doing it. What you are proposing is that people should play how and what they want to play but yet for Smash 4 to not get into Melee's way.

Things are like this because of a general lack of respect on both sides. Elitism is not helping get the community anywhere but just dragging it down.

Last edited:

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
let me get this straight:

you're saying any smash game that's not as good as melee shouldn't be competitive and making them competitive is a waste of time?

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
they can do whatever they want, but you shouldnt bash melee players for being annoyed at a 5? hour intermission in the melee stream to watch a bunch of boring sets from a fledgling game they probably dont play.

Also @ranser no, im not saying it "shouldnt" be competitive, im saying its NOT competitive. at least not to the level that melee is. Honestly this isnt melee elitism, its the truth. Enjoy playing other smash games (as I do), but get real. theyre not all created equal and you cant expect melee fans to care about your game or help your community.

>other smash communities are trying to hijack the melee community's success

Last edited:

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
@ Utena Utena

my apologies, but it's the way you commented your post that confused me. i know not everyone likes sm4sh, but i personally enjoy it competitively, even though melee is the better game and i like melee too.

if that were the case, than SF4 would've been dead by now and 3rd Strike would live on, but it's the opposite today!

Last edited:

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
other fighting game communities are a lil different cause usually theres more dev involvement and people shift over to the new game because theres more money on the line. until nintendo starts dropping mad pot bonuses for sm4sh majors on the regular i wouldnt expect anyone to "convert." smash is such a grassroots scene that its easy to get annoyed when someone plants a weed that tries sucking up your nutrients.

but hey, some people find dandelions beautiful

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
they can do whatever they want, but you shouldnt bash melee players for being annoyed at a 5? hour intermission in the melee stream to watch a bunch of boring sets from a fledgling game they probably dont play.

Also @ranser no, im not saying it "shouldnt" be competitive, im saying its NOT competitive. at least not to the level that melee is. Honestly this isnt melee elitism, its the truth. Enjoy playing other smash games (as I do), but get real. theyre not all created equal and you cant expect melee fans to care about your game or help your community.

>other smash communities are trying to hijack the melee community's success
This is exactly what I mean. No respect. We're not asking people to enjoy Smash 4 and the people who play it. We're asking people to respect it. Let's give an example. You're waiting on watching a single's tennis Wimbledon finals, and in the meantime there's the double's match before it. Let's say the double's match takes some time because the players play conservatively. Do you boo at the doubles match because your singles' match is a bit delayed? Do you insult it and say "singles is so much better, doubles isn't competitive enough"? Hell no. People would kick you out of the stadium for that nonsense. You can obviously say "I prefer X, but I'll respectively wait for Y to finish".

Instead of just saying "I prefer watching Melee", folks have to be he immature and spout things to hate on Smash 4 at APEX. We're not even forcing you to watch it either, since you can just check the stream later from a comfortable spot.

This was Smash 4's turn. Melee's turn was afterwards. All the matches were squeezed into one less day, causing the tight schedule. It's not Smash 4's fault for taking the same time as the Melee top 8, and honestly there were lots of breaks for coaching, etc. that probably lengthened the Smash 4 time. I actually prefer watching Melee competitively, but I also like watching certain matches in Smash 4 (just watch Amsa play in Smash 4 and it's quite interesting imo).

Last edited:

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
I find it funny how the instigators in this issue aren't called out on as if everyone is equally to blame, but the problem is the loud minority of melee fans who have difficulty respecting other games, they have fired the first shots. And this is coming from a guy who likes Melee over Sm4sh.

It is the same phenomena when people go to particular music/movie venues they don't like just to bash them, despite not being force to participate or listen to the group/individual. They do it with the intended purpose to bring others down. I honestly didn't know who or what Twilight or Justin Bieber (spelled right?) was until I found the irrational hate coming from angry people (still have yet to hear or see any of their products and don't plan to as I am not forced to)

In the same vein this minority group of Melee advocates are solely looking to try to dampen and ruin the spirit of Sm4sh players. So instead of boosting their own game, they are actively trying to bring down a different game, which they are not forced to participate in. Naturally therei s going to be reactions, and the fact that there are reactions from those who like Sm4sh does not somehow equate to some level of culpability on par with the Melee fans guilty of such childish behavior.

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
I find it funny how the instigators in this issue aren't called out on as if everyone is equally to blame, but the problem is the loud minority of melee fans who have difficulty respecting other games, they have fired the first shots. And this is coming from a guy who likes Melee over Sm4sh.

It is the same phenomena when people go to particular music/movie venues they don't like just to bash them, despite not being force to participate or listen to the group/individual. They do it with the intended purpose to bring others down. I honestly didn't know who or what Twilight or Justin Bieber (spelled right?) was until I found the irrational hate coming from angry people (still have yet to hear or see any of their products and don't plan to as I am not forced to)

In the same vein this minority group of Melee advocates are solely looking to try to dampen and ruin the spirit of Sm4sh players. So instead of boosting their own game, they are actively trying to bring down a different game, which they are not forced to participate in. Naturally therei s going to be reactions, and the fact that there are reactions from those who like Sm4sh does not somehow equate to some level of culpability on par with the Melee fans guilty of such childish behavior.
I realize that's true, but I feel like the community should it make it really obvious that such behavior is not condoned or tolerated. I kind of feel like if a high profile Melee player like Mango basically called out those audience members on the Smash 4 booing/Smash 4 ending cheering that more of those folks might shut up. Not saying everyone would, but it's a start.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I feel like while it is true that everyone loves 64, I feel 64 gets the short end of the stick a lot for example:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/c...and_the_melee_chant_at_apex/coapbpr?context=3
This was a reminder that I really need to setup netplay. And as a person who's been wanting to get into Smash 64 for a while and never see it at tourneys I've attended that mostly host every other Smash game (sometimes even Crusade), it really should be at more tourneys.

Last edited:

LipePereira

Smash Cadet
NNID
LipePereira
Smash fans bash on other smash games and get upset when the fgc say they are not real fighters...

Last edited:

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
I realize that's true, but I feel like the community should it make it really obvious that such behavior is not condoned or tolerated. I kind of feel like if a high profile Melee player like Mango basically called out those audience members on the Smash 4 booing/Smash 4 ending cheering that more of those folks might shut up. Not saying everyone would, but it's a start.
It would help, but based on the "we're all equally to blame" framing demonstrated here for the sake of political correctness, I would venture and say the chances are unlikely if the community portal itself isn't willing to identity the real issue. Its a rather large order to throw that responsibility on a single individual to single handily call out the culprits when the board heads will not.

At some point, we just have to call a spade a spade, the people in question are angry due to seeing others enjoying a product they do not, where they become aggressive and go out of their way to make others unhappy. There is a pathological term for this, schadenfreude, and its not limited to video games.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org...nly-human/the-neurology-of-schadenfreude.html

Tell me if that is not the spitting image of what we are seeing.

edit:

I will also like to add, the vocal minority do not represent Melee Players. Melee players by and large are not elitist, are not angry, or disrespectful. So the video is wrong already by broadly painting Melee players (and the other communities), we just need to target/focus on the culprits who seem to be incapable of abiding by social norms.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
What was the problem with Smash 4 at APEX?

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
As someone very new to the smash scene, I didn't realize there was such a huge divide in the community. I watched Apex melee and sm4sh and I enjoyed every moment of both, and I was super proud to join the community that made the best out of the worst situation when they lost a day. But it seems my first impression was a gilded one. I want to feel proud to be a part of this community all the time, not just at the moments of triumph, but all the time. I want to be able to say "Yeah, I'm part of the smash community and it's the best one there is." I want to brag about you guys that gave me the warmest welcome there ever could have been to a community. I'm going to believe Omni's goal of this so called OneUnit, because until now, as a recent outsider the smash community looked like OneUnit, and now on the inside, I want that to be the truth.

Top Bottom