• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omega Mode: a cop out

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yeah, even though they put a lot more effort into balancing the characters around FD this time around, they really didn't put any effort into making legal stages. They pretty much used Omega Mode as an excuse to make the stages as wild and tournament-banned as they possibly could, which, really, will limit the competitive scene a lot more than previous games.

Why do this? Couldn't they just have made tournament legal stages instead of going out of their way to troll the competitive crowd with unusable stages?

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I like this solution because it ends up with a lot of funky stages that you can just play for fun, which will never be viable but then again were always a part of smash bros (do not forget that way more people play smash than only the competitive people). With the Omega mode you can go at it in For Glory and just with friends in FD but still have a nice change of scenery and song for once. (I got so tired of seeing FD after a while in brawl/melee)

Sure he could've made more viable stages instead of giving them the Omega mode but then we would miss out on a lot of fun ideas and wacky stages which are always good to play for funsies

Shog

Smash Ace
And this deserves his own thread because...?

Furthermore, why should Sakurai care about this Community opinion about legal stages. Maybe he thinks FD is the Neutral Stage for him.

Finally, aren't there really any stages which fits this description?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Maybe he thinks FD is the Neutral Stage for him.
There's the problem. FD is NOT BALANCED. It favors projectile users too greatly. Even though projectiles are overall nerfed and anti-projectile abilities are prevalent, the point of Omega Mode is completely rendered moot because they made a terrible choice of stage to reskin.

If they could have picked any stage to reskin, it should have been Battlefield. At least the tiny platforms on that stage lend itself to balanced approaches for all characters. But still, it would have destroyed the variety of the game if they reskin ANY stage for a competitive-focused mode.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I agree. Why couldn't we have half whacky stages and half skill based stages? Or turn off stage hazards? Whacky stages are fine, but when I want to get serious 3 stages for that type of play is worse than Melee.

And by the looks of it, the Wii U version is going down the same way.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a competitive play a stage other than FS or Battlefield, so why just make a bunch of boring stages when they already have FS and Battlefield?

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a competitive play a stage other than FS or Battlefield, so why just make a bunch of boring stages when they already have FS and Battlefield?
They aren't boring, though. They may look like it on the surface but they can very well add complexity and depth to the fight.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
There's the problem. FD is NOT BALANCED.
No stage could ever be perfectly neutral for all the characters. The characters themselves are not even perfectly balanced. Don't stress out about it.

I've been watching a lot of For Glory videos by various people, and I don't think projectile characters are out of balance to an obvious degree.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Or turn off stage hazards?
I don't think that's realistic. What qualifies as a "hazard" in every stage varies greatly between each stage. That option alone would have probably required several months or so of development time by my estimation.

They should have made all the stages tourney legal to begin with, not have the stupid Omega mode.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I don't think that's realistic. What qualifies as a "hazard" in every stage varies greatly between each stage. That option alone would have probably required several months or so of development time by my estimation.

They should have made all the stages tourney legal to begin with, not have the stupid Omega mode.
Okay at least bosses. If they can add bosses easily to a stage like Mushroom Kingdom U then they can remove them as well.

Last edited:

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
They aren't boring, though. They may look like it on the surface but they can very well add complexity and depth to the fight.
Nah, they're extremely boring, especially when you see them all the time in competitive play.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Yeah, but aren't most 'legal' stages basically just stages with platforms which are pretty boring?
But yeah, you should be able to turn off stage bosses/certain hazards.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
List of universal neutral stages for SSBM:
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land (N64)

List of universal neutral stages for SSBB:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
Omega mode isn't that new of a development. Look at the amount of neutral stages from SSBM to SSBB.

First, they unintentionally limited the good stages for competitive play. Now, they're ACTIVELY doing so.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Nah, they're extremely boring, especially when you see them all the time in competitive play.
So I guess seeing Fox all the time in melee is really boring? Or Metaknight in Brawl? Or perhaps ZSS in For Glory for 9/10 of the matches?

If you look at Project M, the platforms aren't exactly like the previous ones. Some are stationary, some have certain movement patterns, and some appear for a short amount of time. These are all factors part of the stage that players have to take in and they can use it to their advantage to change the tide of the fight.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
So Sakurai makes a mode that makes EVERY stage playable competitively and there are still complaints? Alrighty then...

Quillion

Smash Hero
So Sakurai makes a mode that makes EVERY stage playable competitively and there are still complaints? Alrighty then...
Wrong. He makes a competitive-focused mode that reskins a single stage as an excuse to make competitive-illegal stages... and everyone complains.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
It's not making every stage competitive. It's copying and pasting a version of FD whether it be one that expands to the southern blast zone or be floating like battlefield with a different skin and the same background the FD Stage is trying to mimic.

I don't hate omega mode, I just wish it wasn't an excuse to not have more stages with skill involved.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Wrong. He makes a competitive-focused mode that reskins a single stage as an excuse to make competitive-illegal stages... and everyone complains.
No. He isn't tailor making stages to be played competitively...he's making them how he wants to make them. It's not a competitive game first and foremost. However, I can play against little mac in a tournament at boxing ring omega with the awesome punch out music, and that's amazing.

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
So I guess seeing Fox all the time in melee is really boring? Or Metaknight in Brawl? Or perhaps ZSS in For Glory for 9/10 of the matches?

If you look at Project M, the platforms aren't exactly like the previous ones. Some are stationary, some have certain movement patterns, and some appear for a short amount of time. These are all factors part of the stage that players have to take in and they can use it to their advantage to change the tide of the fight.
Yes to all of those questions.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Oh, I get it. It's all a big conspiracy against the competitive fanbase!

In all seriousness, though, I doubt that the devs are intentionally making 90% of stages unplayable for competitives. They might be making a bad choice, but I don't think it's all meant as spite.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
It only limits the stage selection if people choose to limit it. Not all hazards break the game, kids. Several can be played with and around using more skill than your average flat stage allows.

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
Then I guess Smash itself is boring.

1/10 don't sell
Smash is amazing actually, because the game isn't actually limited to the same characters and stages in every match. Competitive gameplay is what makes it boring sometimes, especially Melee. That being said, I'm still gonna play Smash 3DS competitvely, and play casually with friends. Nice balance. And also the stages are fine. People cry about Brawl because Sakurai didn't appeal to competitive play, so he gives us competitive versions of each stage...and people still cry. Smash community for you.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
people also play on smashville, halberd, fountain of dreams, yoshi's island, dreamland, and a few others.

I wish you could turn off hazards, stages like magicant and wily's castle would be much better.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
List of universal neutral stages for SSBM:
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land (N64)

List of universal neutral stages for SSBB:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
Omega mode isn't that new of a development. Look at the amount of neutral stages from SSBM to SSBB.

First, they unintentionally limited the good stages for competitive play. Now, they're ACTIVELY doing so.
Well now I'm confused on what makes a stage 'legal'. :p

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well now I'm confused on what makes a stage 'legal'. :p
Must have none of this stuff:
  • Walk-off edges (makes it too easy to get a KO via setup)
  • Overly large size and/or isolated areas (favors hit-and-run, camping, and stalling)
  • Vertical walls (creates nearly infinite combos)
  • Overly intrusive hazards (like Brinstar's lava, Green Greens' Whispy wind, Mushroomy Kingdom Underground's brick ceiling...)

modshroom128

Smash Cadet
NNID
katamari
Hate for the omega mode feature truly shows just how ******** the competitive smash community is.
Focus your nitpicking and hate on stuff that actually matters about this game, like the cut characters.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Hate for the omega mode feature truly shows just how ******** the competitive smash community is.
Focus your nitpicking and hate on stuff that actually matters about this game, like the cut characters.
The competitive community is not allowed to dislike the fact that their game has been limited to two stages: BF, FD, and FD reskins?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
lol

The Omega Mode stages are perfectly legal stages.

This is the only game-related community I know that complains about literally everything in a new game.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
lol

The Omega Mode stages are perfectly legal stages.

This is the only game-related community I know that complains about literally everything in a new game.
The competitive community is not allowed to dislike the fact that their game has been limited to two stages: BF, FD, and FD reskins?
Do I have to repost this every time someone makes that complaint about the competitive community?

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
That's pretty much all you see people play on in tournaments anyways, so you folks should be rejoicing! REJOICE! You can now play the game in the most boring way possible on EVERY STAGE IN THE GAME!!! Competitive Smash FTW!

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Let me explain you a thing. Sakurai doesn't browse to see what you people think of tourney legal stages, and he definitely doesn't make the stages tailored to it. Omega mode is there so you can play on "normal" stages, without sacrificing aesthetic variety. It also happens to be the kind of stage the Japanese have based their metagame on, and if you look at the gameplay, you can see characters are balanced around it as well. This wasn't a cop out, it was a bone tossed to the less than casual players.

modshroom128

Smash Cadet
NNID
katamari
It's not like anyone is going to be playing the 3ds version competitively in 3 months when the wii u version which supports lagless multiplayer comes out.

i mean honestly just wait for those maps.
but to hate on omega mode is just absolutely silly, especially tournaments in japan literally ONLY allow final destination to be played.

響「Hibiki」

Smash Cadet
Prism Tower, Arena Ferox and Yoshi's Island are generally considered neutral/counterpick too.

I don't know why everyone is getting their panties in a twist over this, the 3DS version seems to have as many/more legal stages as Brawl. And then we got the reskins for easily getting rid of the stage issue in a random matchmaking competitive online mode. That's the primary reason they exist in the first place. Appreciate them for what they are.

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
It's not like anyone is going to be playing the 3ds version competitively in 3 months when the wii u version which supports lagless multiplayer comes out.

i mean honestly just wait for those maps.
but to hate on omega mode is just absolutely silly, especially tournaments in japan literally ONLY allow final destination to be played.
Actually I know a ton of people that will be playing Smash 3DS competitively once the Wii U version drops, myself included. Mostly because they don't want to buy a new console for one game, which is a valid point IMO. Why buy a new console when you can just play the Wii U version at a friend's house or at weeklies? Saves money IMO.

Whia

Smash Apprentice
And Yoshi's Island and Prism Tower.

Not to mention, the Wii U version is going to have several new, exclusive stages, among them will also be the competitively legal Town & City.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Final Destination is a perfect tournament legal stage.
We also got Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Arena Ferox, Smashville, Mushroom Kingdom U, and possibly Boxing Ring and Wii Fit Studio.
Pyrosphere also seems good as of now.

Top Bottom