• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omaha Weekly Smashfests

Sir Roy

Smash Journeyman
Well the big list is finally out and the roster is now settled.

Who are you guys going to main? I'd love to get some Brawl intel for the crew's characters.

§chizm

Smash Lord
Yeah I figured you'd be able to switch to ZSS.
I'm probably maining either Lucario, Dedede, or Pokemon Trainer, depending on who doesn't suck.

Echo

Smash Champion
I have some great news for you guys.

I was contacted today by someone that has held a very great tournament for us in the past year. The event last year was a huge success and they are planning on having another one here in March. He's asked me to help run the Smash tournaments, and we're going to be working on doing everything we can for this tournament.

Now - though there is SSBM Singles/Doubles... this is after the release of brawl and this will be the first brawl tournament to hit the state of Nebraska, and as far as I've seen, its going to be the first of any of the surrounding areas. There will be a thread up for it probably in the next couple days or so, so keep an eye out. Its time to bring back a tournament scene around here.

Sir Roy

Smash Journeyman
I'd be down for that. I'd also be down for some serious brawl training sessions as well, once we unlock the characters. We should plan ahead a little bit on days and nights and such.

I think I'll be Maining Lucario. After playing a moderately slow character, I think I'm ready for a faster one. I'll poke at Snake, Sonic, Ike and Pit as well.

I can't wait for it now. If it wasn't for DMC4, February can disappear entirely. :)

BOLT08

Smash Lord
**** brawl looks crazy. So much for no clones(Toon link and link)(falco, wolf, and fox)

I'll probably be maining wolf, sheik, Ike, and maybe gannon. His final smash is BA.

E P I C

Smash Journeyman
Proud Future Mainer of King Rigged (Dedede).
Also, when Brawl comes out, can I just copy your memory card afterwards? Im just going to practice with Dedede the whole time.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Forgot to add meta-knight to my list. Scratch sheik, im a little sick of her and me sucking as her.

Sir Roy

Smash Journeyman
Ewwww. Marth.

...Git-it-way. :ohwell:

We should all sign up at Smash Rankings to make it easier to chat with one another when we get brawl online.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
I will be using Marth again most likely becuz unlike you fools i use the best character in the game lol.

marth is gonna **** so hard in this game.

EDIT- oh btw echo my copy of smash is at ur house, so if anyone happened to take a game that isn't urs that is mine and i'd greatly appreciate having it back by the next tourney.

Jturley46

Smash Journeyman
yeah smashboards is lame right now lol, we've been nerding chat on www.smashbrawlrankings.com. lol

there is supposably a tournament at UNL on the 23rd, but 1 of 2 things will happen:
1. it will be cancelled after everyone makes plans (i.e. take off work)
2. they will take all your money and give you nothing they told you they would.

IMO, UNLs gaming club is awfully dissapointing. It revolves around Halo 3.

So is this the tourny that everyone is going to instead of the one in KeokuK? you make it sound as if its going to suck, and if it is, why is everyone going to it?

Secks.

Smash Ace
The last tourny wasn't officially set in stone, it was just a date. This one is, and theres still plenty of time to get days off for it. From my understanding the pay out will be much higher, also we have a better venue which is much larger. I believe we are getting sponsorship from Burger King and such so I doubt if we were going to cancel this we wouldn't be putting this much effort into it. I wan't them to do an FFC oriented pay out. Where a small roughly 5 dollar amount is taken out and the rest goes to the pot. Lets say singles costs 10 and the whole amount goes to the pot. While doubles 5 is taken out and the other 5 is for the doubles pot so split between 2 people its 10 per team. I personally won't be there but I'll attempt to do this for this tourny. I myself will be pissed if they scam us out of as much money as last time but seeing as they have more xbox's to satisfy the Halo nerds I don't think they will care much about smash.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Sponsorships are over rated. My venue is free, therefore no money will be taken out of the pot. If enough people go cash prizes will be insanely large. I promise no scamming and this tournament is only for super smash bros melee.

Secks.

Smash Ace
Sponsorships are over rated. My venue is free, therefore no money will be taken out of the pot. If enough people go cash prizes will be insanely large. I promise no scamming and this tournament is only for super smash bros melee.
You don't take into account that the tourny here in Lincoln is also at a University. Last time we had no advertising about smash, they only did posters for Halo 3. This time around, they are going to put fliers up and I'm pretty sure more people will come. On top of that on the 26th of January, there was a meele event in Lincoln in which roughly 80 people attended and competed although free, it shows that at least theres intrest still in smash. Especially with all the Brawl hype. That and the drive isn't probably as long.

E P I C

Smash Journeyman
Yo, I might fire up some Ganondorf at this tournament. I plan on not getting last place :_).
EDIT: Metaknight's UpB = God Tier. If you wanna know why then ask because it's too good to be spoken of publically.
EDIT2: I might main Olimas instead. I just watched some footage of him and he looks DAYUM GOOD! He pulls pikmin out really fast, it isnt slow like people initially thought. And his moves are goofy lookin but strong and it's weird. Now Im debating whether to play Dedede or Olimas.

E P I C

Smash Journeyman
BRAWL ****:
List of notable things
- No one can DJC
- Analog Shielding is out(Must press L/R all the way down)
- JC grabs are out
- Dash dance is very very small*
- L-canceling out*
- CCing out*
- Peach cannot float cancel
- Tripping seems entirely random (when initiating a dash)

Some dood named Noir found this **** out. He already has the game and has been messing with it apparently. The game sounds krustier than my assshole so far.

Lanyx

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking you can only combo at low percents, cause almost every move will hit someone way off stage when they're at 100+ percent

And I'm sure there will be new **** discovered to replace dash dancing, and whatever else

E P I C

Smash Journeyman
Thats true, but I still think this game will suck :_( or at least be a disappointment. Anyways, Ken Combo confirmed in Brawl o.O.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
I disagree, you fools are just too nerdy with melee that ur worried that the game is gonna be soo much different, this game is gonna be good, its just gonna be alot different just as the first two were completely different from each other. this will be good so that way everyone will start off fresh that way peeps like ken and isai won't neccessarily poop on everyone like they once did. btw sheiks down air looks really good.

Lanyx

Smash Cadet
Yeah I wouldn't worry about the game. I'm glad I'll be around to see new tricks and stuff. I won't be way way behind on the knowledge and learning curve!

FaceLoran

Smash Champion
Paraphrasing all that...

Skill is out.
It's obvious they are trying to just appeal to the masses and shoot for maximum sales. What else would you expect, it's a business? A party game is going to sell better than a technical, skill based fighter, it's just that simple.

Big Burn

Smash Lord
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141393
this thread is encouging to anyone that is optimistic about brawl being competitive... i was pessimistic at first after i heard some of those techniques being removed... but new ones are already being discovered... after only a few days of playing...the lack of L canceling is made up by the fact certain aerials have no noticable lag...and u have to learn what each characters limitations are...

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141480
this is a thread that shows some high quality competitive vids... they are getting me more and more excited about the game...
btw i think im going to main pit... he is to ****ing sick...
this game will be to sick...

Lanyx

Smash Cadet
Yeah.. People really shouldn't be shooting down the game before it comes out. I didn't really play the original smash competitively at all, but weren't people saying the exact same thing about Melee?

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
The game looks promising. Someone is gonna find out advanced techs sooner or later. I'm looking at the vids and the game looks amazing.

Top Bottom