• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olly Vids here! Combo Video Teaser Posted!!

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Great vid, I love the O man! I have a technical question, what do you use for you video captures? I wouldn't mind starting to post vids but I don't really know the best programs to use for it. Any advice?
If you have the cash, the setup that my crew uses is a dazzle platinum with a vda splitter, the dazzle is 90 and the splitter is 40, with 2 cables, we ran about 150 bucks...not cheap, but our videos are pretty high quality.

My video editting program came with the dazzle.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
good vids. shield grab A LOT more though. whenever that MK uses up-b think about shield grabbing because he NEVER grabs u after he uses that move.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
good vids. shield grab A LOT more though. whenever that MK uses up-b think about shield grabbing because he NEVER grabs u after he uses that move.
The one problem I have with the shuttle loop is that after he does the glide attack - he has no lag to do another move - ringo's fav is the down smash - Where most of my problems come from is the move AFTER the glide attack b/c he can do whatever he wants - so I feel the grab is a bit slow - mostly b/c I can't read my opponent well right now O.o :p

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
I too play a very good meta like Ringo. He can be very annoying too esp with his B attacks!!! But one of the key things is to grab him A LOT and try to attack from below him if possible. And don't try to get into a rolling down smash battle, meta wins EVERY TIME, his D smash is just too fast and it knocks you too far horizontally and not enough vertically making it very difficult to recover. Aslo i noticed on a couple of your recovery attempts i feel you could have made it back if you were patient and just hit over as far as you could to get as close to the ledge instead of fast falling and trying to get to the ledge before meta, cause chances are you could have made it otherwise. But good olimar, i like the slug victory dance, btw.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
glad to help. i do know what it's like facing an opponent w/ just about no lag after landing. i face a sheik that'll SH-nair(or dodge)-then jab like heck. it gets annoying and the only thing i can do is try to roll away, OR time the shield-grab perfectly. i suggest practicing this a lot b/c it helps anytime when sging, not just this situation. i basically have to perfect shield the nair, and instantly grab. something else u can do is fsmash it. he comes straight at u most of the time, after the loop, and, for me, it's pretty easy to anticipate the attack. If sg-ing the move is too hard, wait for the downsmash u talked about. ehhh.. it's a bad habit, but your friend doesn't grab after the shuttle loop, and he always does a smash attack afterwards. i don't play MK on a daily basis so i'm not sure if this works, but try just f-tilting the move. olimar's f-tilt, in my opinion, is WAY underrated, and it has GREAT priority. hope this helps. :)

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
The problem with the ftilt - and this comes straight from true, who shared it with me - is that every situation where the ftilt is useful - it seems the jab is just as useful - but yes, against non mk opponents, I use every tilt very often - but mk is just on you all game and just murdering your pikmin constantly :p

shanus

Smash Hero
no offense to ringo, but his MK needs a LOT of work. MK should be keeping his game mostly in the air (esp vs olimar) and should be keeping the pressure on you and keeping you in the air as much as possible. against a strong MK player, your gonna need to camp a lot harder and throwing pikmin is just asking for them to be killed vs MK without you being able to really punish them for it.... the olimar vs MK matchup is rough, but dont get too used to playing so offensively against MK, in most cases thats asking for pain :-\

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
no offense to ringo, but his MK needs a LOT of work. MK should be keeping his game mostly in the air (esp vs olimar) and should be keeping the pressure on you and keeping you in the air as much as possible. against a strong MK player, your gonna need to camp a lot harder and throwing pikmin is just asking for them to be killed vs MK without you being able to really punish them for it.... the olimar vs MK matchup is rough, but dont get too used to playing so offensively against MK, in most cases thats asking for pain :-\
that's all totally correct. u should be camping more against MK, and when u run in and attack, it's setting u up for pain. Shanus said it better.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
that's all totally correct. u should be camping more against MK, and when u run in and attack, it's setting u up for pain. Shanus said it better.
Yeah, in the tourney, I will matchup against mk's with my marth...however, you guys have watched enough vids of me to know that camping is really hard with me :p...I have to say though, that mk is an awful matchup for olly...

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
Good vids as usual that jiggz was kicking your butt in the first fight, lol but nice comeback then domination the second two fights!

keeper

Smash Champion
You ought to use more whistle.

Also, that stupid Dtilt thing you do after killing someone is really unsportsmanlike.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
You ought to use more whistle.

Also, that stupid Dtilt thing you do after killing someone is really unsportsmanlike.
Lols - more whistle? I use it nearly 30 times a match most of the time, no offense, I'm fine with the opinion but where do you want me to use it more...specific situations maybe?

dtilt after kill is unsportsmanlike...like taunting is unsportsmanlike??? Its the same as the taunts that a ddd uses :p

keeper

Smash Champion
Lols - more whistle? I use it nearly 30 times a match most of the time, no offense, I'm fine with the opinion but where do you want me to use it more...specific situations maybe?

dtilt after kill is unsportsmanlike...like taunting is unsportsmanlike??? Its the same as the taunts that a ddd uses :p
I watched only four of the matches, and every whistle you did was in the air when you were trying to recover. Maybe just use it more often for the armor or for the sake of setting things up. I still say I didn't watch them all.

The Dtilt thing has a lot to it. I generally don't like to be unsportsmanlike, but when you do it, it seems to actually get you out of position. I'd be more concerned with reordering your Pikmin, getting to where you want and retaining all momentum you have, then giving a Dtilt or something. >_>

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I watched only four of the matches, and every whistle you did was in the air when you were trying to recover. Maybe just use it more often for the armor or for the sake of setting things up. I still say I didn't watch them all.

The Dtilt thing has a lot to it. I generally don't like to be unsportsmanlike, but when you do it, it seems to actually get you out of position. I'd be more concerned with reordering your Pikmin, getting to where you want and retaining all momentum you have, then giving a Dtilt or something. >_>
Okay! I see what you are saying with the dtilt - main note on that...all of these vids are friendlies...when I play tourney's...its 2 dilts, whistle to purple and then hug the edge :D

On the Whistle - The better the player you are fighting, the less whistles you can get...and yes I whistle off the edge mostly for recovery...but on the level I see only a point in whistling to purple or white for throws and a spot dodge > whistle in most cases b/c you don't get damage from a spot dodge...when you play some equal or better than you, you want to keep as much of a damage advantage as possible. I would love to hear your rebuttal on this though, this is still something I seem to be unique in (for good or bad). My whistling is very different than how most olly's use it and its definitely subject to change.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone.. his olly is now his complete main and not fun to fight at all. We hope to have more vids up soon so you can see improvement of everyones part. His taunts have gone down.. but the competitiveness has gone up since his first tourney.

Like i said.. hopefully get new vids up this week.. finals week with lots of down time.. but also finals.. so no promises.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Hey guys, new videos up this today - all of them are done - I will also start posting some new advance techs this week and I even got plugged into True's advance tech thread...its a good week...!! check out the new vids and comment, I'm still looking for suggestions!!

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
i think you need to not beat me as much, you should also just die more, that would really improve my.. er, your olimar

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Ok, as there are 5 pages, I'm skipping through it and when I saw how Gazelle said olimar's Dsmash has a sweet spot and it may only work on large enemies, Gazelle is definately wrong.. It works on small people like G&W and pikachu also, as I have done this.
Just throwing it out there.
As far as other things..

Pit Vid 2-
Nice on the whole, however you seemed to attack where most people would go to usually. I did not look up the tournament rules, but if it's a three match tourny or however it was.. you should try to get in the habit of teaching people where to go for the next match. So basically you want to hit the obvious spot first.. next match you should be hitting the best route for escape.
As in, first match, hit him on the ground, next is the fair when he is not there.
Unless, of course, you are just used to Marth's range and you attempted to tip him with your sword.

I looked at more of your vids via youtube and saw some fights where you missed the ub+b and should have got on. Of course, you don't always need to get on and you can die, as everyone can do once in a while.. but times where a Marth jumps in range to hit YOU off the ledge, you can UP+B through him to the ledge.

Remember the tether grab has about a.. 190* angle of hitting the ledge. With the extra ten being above the ledge and pulling you onto the ground in a standing position. (Which can be used to smash, tilt, run, whatever.
So generally, Uair, or F+B purple, or fast up+b when in range (Immediately is immediate).

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Pit Vid 2-
Nice on the whole, however you seemed to attack where most people would go to usually. I did not look up the tournament rules, but if it's a three match tourny or however it was.. you should try to get in the habit of teaching people where to go for the next match. So basically you want to hit the obvious spot first.. next match you should be hitting the best route for
I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say here - and yes - we talked about the dsmash sweetspot fully about a month ago so we know it can be done on all characters.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
It was you against a Pit on Smashville.. Forgot who it was though.
Basically, alot of the times you attacked open air where you assumed he would go. (Mainly swinging about four or more times with a fair while the pit is on the ground still.)

What I was saying is that if you play one match with one combo, the next you should fight using a completely new set of moves, or moves that hit the easiest way to escape.

I would first match Dthrow, fair, dthrow fair.
The next I would Dthrow, fair, dthrow hyphen smash. Mainly because once they learn to dodge the second fair, they generally do plain dodge, away, or toward.. but not so much as jump up. Even if they attack using their fair/whatever else.. your hyphen hits usually underneath.

You hit them in the air and fair alot. They start to dodge? Dair them during the dodge for the final frames to land it.
They block your upsmash and then roll or jump left/right to get around the platform? Do a downsmash or if they fall through the platform, up tilt.
It's kind of like mind games, but you teach them what to do against the old you and switch it up completely.. just like in 2D fighters, it's bad to play the game with only one approach or moveset.

Short version... Attack where they are. Next match, attack where they should go... Instead of missing alot in the air.

You are good, I'd say though! o3o

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Finally some new vids are up - most of these are from a friendly tourney that was last week - hopefully I will be able to smash with the MN smashers and get some new competition...until then - expect a new combo vid (olly only) by the end of june!!

Thanks for all of the help - would love some more comments (and DanGR...my combo vid/newest vids should have plenty uses of the dair :p)

L2p

Smash Rookie
a friend of mine also plays olimar and his style looks alot like yours, he must have watched these, and therefore... i don't like you

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Can't wait. Looks amazing. I need to learn how to spike more effectively, cause I miss it most of the times.

Zori

Smash Champion
I liked the video its good to see your stepping out side the box but all your combos ended in a a spike or was that the point? lol Anyways im not going to lie i jacked your lvl10 tag the other day and made 13 out of 90 so i guess being lvl10 does help :D but i don't use it anymore.

asob4

Smash Champion
combo vid looks good, nothing wrong with spikes btw haha
i'll eventually have a combo vid made >_> eventually lol
and i really was gonna use either streetlight or a hardcore song lol

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I only watched the teaser for your combo video but it was quite impressive. I do have a critique though... it's tough to tell how good you are when your 3 stocking your opponents. I saw some decent things from your opponents but during most of the combos you were 3 stocking them which would make me believe that its not just a good combo that you did but also a bad opponent that you were up against.

pesticide

Smash Lord
hmm i gotta check out ur combo teaser video when i get home. stupid youtube blocker @ school D:

btw, we gotta play sometime shrink. u got a wii yet?

edit: saw the teaser vid. looks pretty good. u look like you're three stocking your opponents in all the clips xD

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I only watched the teaser for your combo video but it was quite impressive. I do have a critique though... it's though to tell how good you are when your 3 stocking your opponents. I saw some decent things from your opponents but during most of the combos you were 3 stocking them which would make me believe that its not just a good combo that you did but also a bad opponent that you were up against.
Thanks for the comments - really cool to here that from you...The people I play against are all of the EB's members and they are pretty good - most of the clips from that day were against Ringo(a very respected MK) but he wasn't playing against his mains very often...most of it is the fact that they don't know how to beat an Olly who doesn't spam latch.

P.S. - I'll play against some really really good people this weekend when I start going out for tourneys again and actually record some clips...so we'll see if its against good people or its b/c I just know how to beat these guys :D.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Shrink is a little girl when he's drunk, but olimar is still broken
It is a true story - but at least I hold my liquor...unlike Nold...

BIG PS!!!!

I will be at a tourney tomorrow against some really talented brawl players...so expect new vids sometime soon of me getting my butt kicked.

Top Bottom