• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Video Thread!(?)

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Hmmm my biggest concern is that you kept rolling a lot olimar has a fast dash and decent speed so you should be able to run where ever you need to go to avoid moves
Secondly
You didn't play to the pikmin's strengths when peach had 120% you could have used blue to up throw and killed
You have olimar down for the most part but try to take advantage of what all the pikmin do
Like whenever you have a white just throw it at the enemy or use it to grab and pummel
It will rack up a lot of damage
Yeah, my opponent took advantage of my rolling habits by using dsmash or dash attack. It's probably my biggest problem as a player in general, since I tend to roll even in local play.
I'm trying to work on micromanagement of Pikmin as well. It's already hard enough to deal with 3DS desyncing and online lag at the same time, so it's hard to know what Pikmin will come next even with a visual indicator. The desyncing is much less of a problem in the Wii U, and whites now do more damage with Side B since this video, so I should be better off once I get the Wii U version.
Thanks for the criticism!

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
Just updated the first post, clarify me if I placed something wrong or forgot to place something there. I'll upload my own videos later but I'm stuck on mobile wifi for a month so...

We need more 1.0.4 videos! + points for feedback and analysis :)

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
Just post a video, here you are. @ Myran Myran

Last edited:

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
Minor correction on OP, that last video with Myran should say Sheik, not Rosalina.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Here is 2 hours of straight Sonic matches http://www.twitch.tv/truefrickenblue/b/595479737. Was playing against a Florida Sonic named True Blue. I was pretty much learning the MU as I went, but I got some good games in there. Feel free to skim through the video. My favorite match would have to be at 1:45:45. I really like how I handle his second stock.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Hey Olimars! I played @ Angbad Angbad tonight on SmashLadder and we had a pretty solid set.

I told him I'd come post the set here, so here you go!

This was a learning experience for both of us, as it was his first time fighting a Robin, and my first time fighting an Olimar.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Just post a video, here you are. @ Myran Myran

Okay so there were a couple things I noticed, and they will probably apply to all Olimar players in general. First off knowing when your Pikmin aren't in the line for a followup is huge. I think it happens two times in the match. The most notable instance is after the down thrown. Instead of going for an unsure f-air you can follow up with a n-air which is much safer. Secondly and I notice a lot of Olimars not doing this. You need to be abusing your smash attacks more, fsmash is an amazing tool for walling out opponents and catching a KOing if they keep approaching from the ground. The same could be said for pivot grabs. Just bait them out and use a pivot if you need to. Last thing and this is the most important in my opinion, is to really abuse the differences in Pikmin attributes. Be aware of what your Pikmin can do and use it. So if your opponent is just out of the usual down throw f-air range with a blue, use a red. It's gonna have less knockback and will probably set up for another move. I cannot stress the importance managing proper Pikmin usage.

Last edited:

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
thank you, it is so hard to see which pikmin i need to use but i will try for sure :D so i see a lot that you use purple pikmin for up smash or throwing. are you talkin about this?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
thank you, it is so hard to see which pikmin i need to use but i will try for sure :D so i see a lot that you use purple pikmin for up smash or throwing. are you talkin about this?
Well yes, that is what I prefer to use them for. Really capitalize on the Pikmin's strengths.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Hey Olimars! I played @ Angbad Angbad tonight on SmashLadder and we had a pretty solid set.

I told him I'd come post the set here, so here you go!

This was a learning experience for both of us, as it was his first time fighting a Robin, and my first time fighting an Olimar.

Thanks for coming to post it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the match up ?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I feel Robin to be a fairly easy MU, the spells are avoidable. Also having Pikmin able to go through them is quite nice. Plus Robin has to approach which just makes it easier to punish.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I don't feel Robin really has to approach.

Thoron shoots though everything, and Elthunder, though it will hit a Pikmin if they collide in mid-air, doesn't get eaten as it leaves Robin's hand.

I do think Robin has difficulty when she DOES have to approach, but I don't think she really has to most of the time.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I don't feel Robin really has to approach.

Thoron shoots though everything, and Elthunder, though it will hit a Pikmin if they collide in mid-air, doesn't get eaten as it leaves Robin's hand.

I do think Robin has difficulty when she DOES have to approach, but I don't think she really has to most of the time.
I don't think she can out camp Olimar though. Elthunder and Thoron are easily avoidable compared to a barrage of Pikmin.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
I really don't think Robin is an easy Match up. I agree that she has some avoidable spells, but I don't think the barrage of pikmin is enough of a threat to force her to approach. I felt forced to approach throughout that whole set. I think I just need to play more robins first before I decide, but I felt that it was a pretty even MU.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I really don't think Robin is an easy Match up. I agree that she has some avoidable spells, but I don't think the barrage of pikmin is enough of a threat to force her to approach. I felt forced to approach throughout that whole set. I think I just need to play more robins first before I decide, but I felt that it was a pretty even MU.
Well if you get the percent lead, and avoid her spells she is gonna have to approach.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
I've had good success out-camping the Robins I've played, but that could be player-dependent. MegaMan on the other hand... I have to go Aggro Olimar (Aggrolimar?) in that match up, or I lose pretty decisively.

Last edited:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
I've had good success out-camping the Robins I've played, but that could be player-dependent. MegaMan on the other hand... I have to go Aggro Olimar (Aggrolimar?) in that match up, or I lose pretty decisively.

I've had the exact opposite experience haha. I outcamp megaman just fine.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
http://www.twitch.tv/ugclive/b/596852959

3:14:xx Olimar vs Sheik
5:17:45 Olimar vs Metaknight
5:55:xx Olimar vs Villager
6:49:xx Olimar vs Paletuna

Really want some people to look at these! Need advice badly for mk and palutena. I think my game 1 vs Metaknight was pretty bad for two reasons. It was the first MK i've ever fought in Sm4sh and I hadn't played at all in 2 hours haha. Learned a lot. Was having trouble when he was hovering right near me.

Last edited:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad

Really want some people to look at these! Need advice badly for mk and palutena. I think my game 1 vs Metaknight was pretty bad for two reasons. It was the first MK i've ever fought in Sm4sh and I hadn't played at all in 2 hours haha. Learned a lot. Was having trouble when he was hovering right near me.
And the Paletuna game, I just was really lost. First one I've fought. I know I fair'd her shield wayyyy too often which led to shield grabs galore for her.

EDIT: Shoot did not mean to double(triple) post

Last edited:

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616

Did Metaknight kill you from an Upthrow on to a platform that wasn't there at the end of that first game?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Alright so some things I noticed. First off stop using fair so much, it isn't that safe. You were getting punished far to often to warrant the high usage of it. If you're on the defensive and they attack you, you could try other options to retreat or give counter pressure. Secondly I don't believe you jabbed once out of all 4 sets. This is a pivotal part of Olimar's up close game. Being able to get some safer/fast hits on your opponent is a great way to push them back, and can be follow up with a grab. Next and this could just be something I prefer to do, but I think it may be safer. You almost never cancelled your Up-B with an attack. Drifting into the ground/falling is less safe, and may be slower. I recommend dropping with a fast fallen nair. You also need to tone back some of the aggression. When you're in the % lead you don't have to approach, and this was causing you to get hit a lot. I know it probably isn't the most fun, but making them come to you is much better than you running at them. One last thing in regards to Palutena, you can usually run and grab through her reflector shield and it will hit. So there is a slightly better option for when she does it.

Side note: Watching commentators who know nothing about Olimar act like they do know stuff makes me cring.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Did Metaknight kill you from an Upthrow on to a platform that wasn't there at the end of that first game?
yea, I think he bounced off a Pikmin?

Alright so some things I noticed. First off stop using fair so much, it isn't that safe. You were getting punished far to often to warrant the high usage of it. If you're on the defensive and they attack you, you could try other options to retreat or give counter pressure. Secondly I don't believe you jabbed once out of all 4 sets. This is a pivotal part of Olimar's up close game. Being able to get some safer/fast hits on your opponent is a great way to push them back, and can be follow up with a grab. Next and this could just be something I prefer to do, but I think it may be safer. You almost never cancelled your Up-B with an attack. Drifting into the ground/falling is less safe, and may be slower. I recommend dropping with a fast fallen nair. You also need to tone back some of the aggression. When you're in the % lead you don't have to approach, and this was causing you to get hit a lot. I know it probably isn't the most fun, but making them come to you is much better than you running at them. One last thing in regards to Palutena, you can usually run and grab through her reflector shield and it will hit. So there is a slightly better option for when she does it.

Side note: Watching commentators who know nothing about Olimar act like they do know stuff makes me cring.
Yeah I was noticing how much trouble I was getting into with the fair. I kept telling myself to stop haha. And you're right I should jab more, but I did use it a couple of times against sheik. I know there were some times I could have used an attack at the end of my up B, but I think I used it a few times well.

And yeah one of my biggest problems is that I'll approach and totally blow it hhaha. And with Palutena I ended up realizing that after awhile. I think if it was a Bo5 I would have been able to win a few games, maybe the set. Thanks for watching all of them.

And it was funny listening to them talk about flower pikmin

Last edited:

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman

I'm late on this, but I just got around to watching it if you still want feedback from an observer. I thought you did a great job, but as a fellow Olimar main, here's some things I noticed:

In your first match against MetaKnight, you looked overeager to get the grab combos early on. I feel like you could've done fsmash and then a second one to follow it up to wall him out better and land hits. Your dsmashes were great, but I feel like you could've used fsmash more.

As for the second match, I'd say you did a decent job here, given that the MK was trying to time you out. I'd just point out that Olimar has a projectile and MetaKnight doesn't. So in theory, you should be able to play the waiting game better than he can. It may not be a fun match, but you should be able to out camp him, even if you just get a percent or two per pikmin. Then punish when he approaches.

Also, keep in mind that when MetaKnight is flying above ground, he does eventually have to touch down. Try to make it so that you have a red, yellow, or blue pikmin ready to go when he does. Then run around (fake dash dance) and space yourself for his landing, so that when he lands, you can throw a couple of those fsmashes at range. When he tries to take off in the air again, he may get hit by a smash.

For Palutena, I thought you played really well. I may have tried to set up some physical dtilt -> dtilt -> uptilt combos because Palu is a big character and can get trapped by these. Also, when playing at range against Palutena, I almost always jump and throw pikmin. Because they arc in the air (especially yellows), these can go right over her reflector and still land on her.

Also, I wanted to see you try to go deep off the stage to get after her. Or throw a purple pikmin to disrupt a recovery attempt. This is harder on Delfino Plaza, but your recovery is better than hers. The teleport is invincible while she's in the middle of it, but it's still a linear recovery. You should be able to engage her offstage where she can't just throw out an aerial to outrange you because you can just fly back to stage with pink pikmin while she plummets further.

Great stuff overall. How often does UGC run these tournaments? I live in LA and would be interested in going to one sometime.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
I'm late on this, but I just got around to watching it if you still want feedback from an observer. I thought you did a great job, but as a fellow Olimar main, here's some things I noticed:

In your first match against MetaKnight, you looked overeager to get the grab combos early on. I feel like you could've done fsmash and then a second one to follow it up to wall him out better and land hits. Your dsmashes were great, but I feel like you could've used fsmash more.

As for the second match, I'd say you did a decent job here, given that the MK was trying to time you out. I'd just point out that Olimar has a projectile and MetaKnight doesn't. So in theory, you should be able to play the waiting game better than he can. It may not be a fun match, but you should be able to out camp him, even if you just get a percent or two per pikmin. Then punish when he approaches.

Also, keep in mind that when MetaKnight is flying above ground, he does eventually have to touch down. Try to make it so that you have a red, yellow, or blue pikmin ready to go when he does. Then run around (fake dash dance) and space yourself for his landing, so that when he lands, you can throw a couple of those fsmashes at range. When he tries to take off in the air again, he may get hit by a smash.

For Palutena, I thought you played really well. I may have tried to set up some physical dtilt -> dtilt -> uptilt combos because Palu is a big character and can get trapped by these. Also, when playing at range against Palutena, I almost always jump and throw pikmin. Because they arc in the air (especially yellows), these can go right over her reflector and still land on her.

Also, I wanted to see you try to go deep off the stage to get after her. Or throw a purple pikmin to disrupt a recovery attempt. This is harder on Delfino Plaza, but your recovery is better than hers. The teleport is invincible while she's in the middle of it, but it's still a linear recovery. You should be able to engage her offstage where she can't just throw out an aerial to outrange you because you can just fly back to stage with pink pikmin while she plummets further.

Great stuff overall. How often does UGC run these tournaments? I live in LA and would be interested in going to one sometime.
Thanks for the comments. Are you in the Socal Smash 4 group on Facebook? I think their next event is next weekend. And are you going to Palmdale today?

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)

Olimar vs Sheik

Dabuz is definitely a fierce opponent.

From Grand Finals at the stage testing tournament

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
Here is 2 hours of straight Sonic matches http://www.twitch.tv/truefrickenblue/b/595479737. Was playing against a Florida Sonic named True Blue. I was pretty much learning the MU as I went, but I got some good games in there. Feel free to skim through the video. My favorite match would have to be at 1:45:45. I really like how I handle his second stock.
video doesn't work anymore. Says you deleted it.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Going to link all the CT Wifi Invitational Pool D sets me and Dabuz did this past weekend. I lose against ANTi in the set, but it's some high level play nonetheless. Furthermore there is a rare treat of the Olimar ditto between me and Dabuz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlKWAifTSEY Myran vs Anti (Olimar vs Captain Falcon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHPNtJGcLJA Dabuz vs Myran (Olimar vs Olimar)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5me-pcoBpl8 Dabuz vs Anti (Olimar vs Wii Fit Trainer, Luigi, and Lucario)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1VDPb2LczI Trela vs Dabuz (Meta Knight vs Olimar)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhHA7uUwQ0k Myran vs Lux (Olimar vs Zero Suit Samus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhO1wVMVUnc Dabuz vs Lux (Olimar vs Zero Suit Samus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPNaoW2kJd4 Myran vs Trela (Olimar vs Shulk)

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
That Olimar ditto fight looks really chaotic and a bit confusing.

Top Bottom