• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Matchup Thread

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Matchup: Olimar
Intro: Pit will easily have problems not only because he can be outspammed projectile-wise, but he also doesn't have the melee range to approach Olimar that well. He can force Pit to approach, keeping Pit from camping efficiently, which is one of Pit's best attributes, and at the same time, putting pressure on Pit.

Pit and Olimar have similar ranges, but it is Olimar's grab range that hurts Pit a lot, as well as Olimar having quite good power to KO Pit somewhat fast (Purple is best). However, Olimar's light weight and bad recovery just about evens out the KOing potential, still leans towards Olimar though. However, getting to Olimar is Pit's problem, especially when Pit generally has to approach.

Olimar behaviors include Side-B to stop Pit from camping, and if you use a reflector to try to get the Pikmin to latch on to Olimar, it will usually end up in Olimar using Down-B to stop the Pikmin from hitting him (Olimar can kill his own Pikmin if they are reflected first), or rushing in to grab you.

Olimar loves grabs, and it's natural. They usually do it when you approach them, and will also piviot grab. Try baiting the Olimar to use the grab, predict it and try to shoot em for slight damage.

This is not a bad match up for Pit belive it or not. Pit can be played 2 ways in this match-up Agressive and Campy. Let me start wih the agressive style or how to aprroch olimar, use arrows mildy if you use them too much the olimar player will go in full camp mode. Move closer and use your side-b (very annyoying attack) to reflect pikmin. At this point you should be rather close to the olimar this is where you go for the grab or even better jab to grab if you sucsufully get the grab down throw and then u-air, the olimar will airdodge right after, now remember olimar is very floty so you will have more then enough time to punish him with either another grab, forward smash,upsmash. You both should be a midcents at this point, another helpful hint on getting in on olimar is running up and using wings or icarus you jump high enough to avoid an upsmash, one of olimars key moves then you can fastfall and do a fair for then follow up with some arrows. Abuse those jumps! Stay above as long as you can if you can't find an opening then land safely and try again.

Now let me explain how to out camp olimar, you need to shoot arows form start to finish. When olimar is hit he is stunned long enough for him to not be able to side-b back till he lands again. But don't stop there, get on the ledge and and shoot arrow then snap on the ledge over and over again. (basicly plank) normally this would not work on a good opponent but if olimar gets too close you can uair through the stage and olimar gets sent flying diagonally down the stage similar to toon links downsmash at low%. Simple but effective.

Ah yes, the Pikmin. 5 of them, with different attibutes. Below are categories and a small description about the Pikmin.

-Grab Range: This is the grab Range of the Pikmin, based on the size of FD's diamond in the middle of the stage.
-Pummel: This is the damage the Pikmin does when Olimar grabs and pummels you.
-Latch Pummel: When Pikmin latch on to you, this is the damage they do per hit. Purple ones don't latch on however.
-Power: Below this category will be the F-smash, U-smash, and D-smash. This has been calculated with the Pikmin having Flowers on em, in the training room.
-Throw Power: Similar to the Power category, but replace the smashes with Throws.
-Toss Range: Olimar's Side-B and how far the Pikmin goes, calculated by the size of FD's diamond.

Red Pikmin
Grab Range: 2/3s of the FD diamond
Pummel: 2%
Latch Pummel: 2%

Power:
F-smash: 15%
U-smash: 15%
D-smash: 13%

Throw Power:
F-throw: 6%
B-throw: 7%
U-throw: 9%
D-throw: 9%

Toss Range: About 1 1/2 FD diamonds

These Pikmin are fire-based, and are resistant to fire as they are in the Pikmin game, not like it matters since Pit has no fire-based attacks. They are simply the average Pikmin of the bunch.

Yellow Pikmin:
Grab Range: 2/3s of the FD diamond

Power:
-F-smash: 13%
-U-smash: 14%
-D-smash: 11%

Throw Power:
-F-throw: 7%
-B-throw: 9%
-U-throw: 11%
-D-throw: 8%

Toss Range: Less than Red Pikmin, but tossed at higher elevation

This Pikmin has electric properties with a bit of shock-stun, similar to a Pika's Thunder, and are resistant to electricit like they were in the Pikmin 2 game, again, not important since Pit has no electric-based attacks. This is the only Pikmin that is thrown somewhat higher than the others, like they have in the Pikmin game.
Also, on their throws, once you have enough damage to the point where you get knocked back, on all throws except D-throw, you automatically can do one of your Aerials, or Air-dodge. Depending on what you do, you may end up having some strange DI from this.

Blue Pikmin
Grab Range: 2/3 of the FD diamond

Power:
-F-smash: 15%
-U-smash: 15%
-D-smash: 12%

Throw Power:
-F-throw: 13%
-B-throw: 14%
-U-throw: 12%
-D-throw: 12%

Toss Range: Same range as Red Pikmin

These are water resistant Pikmin like in the game, the only one that doesn't die if they fall into the water, could be useful if you're playing Delfino or Japes.
These Pikmin KO a bit quicker than Red Pikmin and do quite some damage.

White Pikmin
Grab Range: About 2/3s of the FD Diamond
Pummel: 4%
Latch Pummel: 6%

Power
-F-smash: 9%
-U-Smash: 9%
-D-smash: 6%

Throw Power
-F-throw: 6%
-B-throw: 7%
-U-throw: 6%
-D-throw: 6%

Toss Range: Almost 2 FD diamonds

This Pikmin from the 2nd Pikmin game are strange, and rather different. Where they lack in KO power and Smash and Throw damage, they have quite the pummel and latch pummel damage. They may be the fastest of the Pikmin, but are also the weakest, and you can kill them faster than any other Pikmin. In other words, they really can't take as much damage as any other.

Purple Pikmin
Grab Range: 1/2 of FD Diamond
Latch Pummel: None, 6% damage with Knockback

Power:
-F-smash: 18%
-U-smash: 16%
-D-smash: 15%

Throw Power
-F-throw: 7%
-B-throw: 9%
-U-throw: 11%
-D-throw: 8%

Toss Range: Slightly more than 3/4 of FD diamond

The fat, slow, but strongest Pikmin coming from Pikmin 2. Their range is very small compared to the rest, but lies within them is the great power, capable of KOing really quick. They can take the most damage due to their size.

Overall, Olimar is very hard for Pit to handle, but not the worst. With Olimar's Side-B beating Pit's projectile spam, practically forcing a Pit to approach, which isn't naturally a Pit's style and with Pit's bad melee range giving him a hard time to approach without having fear of the grab range of Olimar, Pit will have major difficulties.
As far as recoveries go, Pit has the slightly better edge, but has to watch out for Olimar Spikes and Purple Pikmin that could gimp him.

The matchup would be estimated to be 40:60 in Pit's Disadvantage. If only we had more melee range, if we could approach him easily without the fear of being grabbed, and being outcamped, he would be much more easier. :(

More info is to come soon, as well as correcting some info that may be wrong, and may add Stage Counterpicks/Bans later on.
After things are settled with the Pit mods, I may give the Olimars a heads up about this.

EDIT: Credit to Zori for his support and input on the matchup.

Afro Boy2000

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's 40-60, more like 45-55. Glide attack is acctually alright for approaching Olimar since you can attack or spotdodge before he shield grabs and You can also auto cancel n-air to uptilit on his shield which he can't shieldgrab either.

Grab him before he grabs you and plank when you need to, to win.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Idk ive been shield grabbed before i was able to do anything. Plus he can either Usmash you when your above him and Fsmash you when at about his level. A glide attack may work once in a while but its not something you want to have to rely on. Though ive also had the Nair to Utilt go horribly, horribly wrong. From my experience, after getting close enough and some how avoiding olimars grabs and attacks, a dtilt works pretty good, its fast and it has a pop up knock back, and olimars dont really like being in the air. Any sort of offensive move aimed at olimar should be to knock him in the air.

I would agree with the 40-60. While Olimar is pretty doomed once hes far enough off stage. But good campy Olimar is probably one of the hardest character to approach, and you will approach. Just hope that you can out think him.

Anyone know of any good counter pick stages for Olimar? I think a stage that changes is good against olimar, he wont just be able to set a routine on you since the stage will constantly change. I like the idea of Pokemon Stadium (brawl), for the ice or air, both of which i feel work great for Pit. Maybe Delphino could work too. Allowing you to be able to approach from below could be quite helpful, and being able to push olimar into the water and getting rid of most of his pikmin, and making him unable to pull more. Idk thats just my opinion.

Esca

Smash Champion
Olimar:

Olimars three WORST stages (provided they're legal in your region):

Frigate Orpheon - There's no ledge on the right side of the stage, and since it's such a small stage, it makes it difficult for Olimar to camp here. Pressure him with arrows and fairs to the right of the stage, and punish accordingly.

Port Town Aero Drive - There's no ledges period on this stage, and once again, it's a small, small area for him to try and maneuver. Throw him off and arrow him. Whistle really won't help him in that situation. Now let's talk about what happens when you get him off. When he hits the ground, his Pikmin die. All of his Pikmin die, rendering him more helpless than before.

Jungle Japes - Jungle Japes is Olimar's worst enemy. Along with the water and his poor recovery, you have the clap trap, and the really high ceiling to eliminate one of his 2 killing options. Now, as long as the Pit stays on the right platform, Olimar has to approach. Once again, you have to capitalize on getting him off the edge. As soon as you get him off the edge, all but his blue Pikmin die. Olimars have on average 2 blue Pikmin (maximum) in a bunch. Now whether Olimars know it or not, his recovery is further hindered if he has one or two Pikmin. If he has no Pikmin, the game glitches into thinking the Olimar has three. So to summarize this, water=death.

Also, to add to the Olimar matchup. WoI cancels out usmash completely. Saved me multiple times vs. Zori.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Haven't fought a ton of Olimar's, but I've been able to outcamp most of the ones I've fought fairly easily. Mirror shield gives his pikmin a little bit of a boost back towards him, so it can catch him of gaurd, then punish when he wastes the attack getting them off.

I still suffer in this matchup. his range on the ground is hard to get into... I tend to go with diagonal attacks like glide attack, SHNair, or a fastfalled Fair if I'm feeling cocky.

Didn't know about the upsmash canceling out, I'll have to try that.

aish

Smash Journeyman
If the oli is very grabby what you do D8 I tend to downsmash alot, it works on the lesser olimars but not on the more experienced onces 8<

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
I've played with Kovarish a couple of times and i did have problems. (Well, he's the best olimar that i've ever seen and those words were repeted by affinity xD) But he wasn't a HUGE problem for me as some MK can be.

When the stage was proper to both to camp, olimar loses. Pit's arrow range is bigger than any pikimin that he can fire =P and when i saw he comming towards to me i could spam the Wing dash with DI towards to him and than start my combo, or DI away from him to continue my spamming moves.

Since olimar can only camp in an eliptical way (is that right american ***s? xD) and pit can do any thing he wants with it's projectile, Delphino is a good place for pits to be, Pit's should only be afraid with USmashes, but as our colleges were saying, Wind Dash with the right DI should save you.

I like the Frigate as a counterpick, but that can be bad for pit as well, not for recovering, but when the stage flips, it can be really a good place for olimar. (Yeah, i did really bad against Kovarish in this stage hahaha xD)

For me the numbers are somewhere around 55/45 (Olimar/Pit).
He's not one of your worst nightmares.

D4V1

Smash Rookie
Yay! hi Tikun, how you're doing, man? I've never thougth i find you here too... ;D

well, about Olimar...yeah, this matchup can be a little hard against expert olimar players (like Kovarish here in Brazil) but its not that all you have to worry about too...

The good point is that, depending on the stage, you can camp olimar for some time, and his pikmin tosses can't hit you from very far...otherwise, you can reflect the pikmins using mirror shield as well, but be carefull that olimar can just run after you just next for grabing you or, depending of your percent meter, Up-smashing you!! xP

and about up-smash...yeah, thats a freaking movie to fear...not even our glide attack has priority against that...just be carefull for when the olimar intends to use that...

but his fast-ranged-grabs is the worst, in my oppinion! his pivot grab can take you whitout atention while you try to fall behind end even in a mid distance from him...and some throws can bem really painful as well... =/

well, what I recommend againts him is to avoid some close combat a lot of times...just spam arrows, and have a good use of tilts (ftilt/dtilt) and, with some good mind, try to spot-dodge and grab/ jab/ smash him quickly, depending on olimar's percent level. And yeah, players who uses Wing Dashing a lot can use this AT for advantage too in this matchup.

well I would say this matchup is 55/45 in olimar's favor, just like Tikun said. Olimar is just an opponent that, if Pit gets used, is not going to be a great problem.

I'LL try to make contact with kovarish here, ad see if he can helps for this matchup, since he's a very expert olimar player here in Brazil...then a come here and post some more... =]

D4V1

Smash Rookie
Sorry about this double post here...and yeah, I know that already started the DK matchup discussion...but this is important ;D

It happens that I got an answer of Kovarish (Pro-Olimar Player) here in Brazil and he helped me here with some information about this mathup agains Pit...so I'm going just to quote here what he written to me, translated in english of course: xD

For pit, this matchup is complicated , he has lagged air attacks and it can be very hard to hit an air attack on olimar, since he's very small and can punish pit easily rigth after!
then pit has to risk an lagged bair just for killing, for example!

Olimar can do some combo in Pit easily as well...

But Pit is very good at edgeguard against Olimar too and has very good recovery too. Olimar have to be very careful against pit edgeguard, for not losing his jump by taking an arrow and being early killed, for example!

in this matchup, Pit needs to bem more defensive and spam a lot! And waits for an action of Olimar for counter-attack...and stays out of range a lot of times, because if Pit becomes too much offensive, it can be punished very easy with olimar's grabs as well...

I would say this matchup is 55-45 or 60-40, in Olimar's favor!
Well, Kova, thanks a lot for the support!! =]

well, now im going to the DK matchup for take a look...

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
Even though DTilt looks pretty good for spamming against Olimar, i would say that is a complete disaster.
Olimar's grab range is extra-large and even if your Dtilt has one of your biggest ranges, it won't work ;(

Afropony

Smash Lord
When you've been hit up in there air and you're about to land on the ground try and get as far away from Olimar as possible or grab the edge because if you don't it's likely you'll get pivot grabbed.
I also suggest not approaching with Glair because you can get pivot grabbed out of that as well :( If you do decide to glair when you lag make sure you run away in the opposite direction they go to so that their grab doesn't have enough range, if you're lucky you should be able to shoot an arrow or two at them while they're in lag.

When Olimar is in the air they usually try to airdodge their way onto the ground instead of use aerials, because of this after using Utilt to get them in the air you can usually do two quick jumps and use Dair on them which keeps them, in the air for longer.

I've also found winglunging fairly good in this match because it seems to be a little bit higher then their Usmash and if they're using grabs or SideB you'll go over them or hit the pikmin away.

Also if you've been grabbed at high percents with a purple Pikmin you're going to get Dthrowed so make sure you DI across. If you're grabbed by a blue pikmin however it will likely be a Fthrow or Bthrow so DI up.

At high percents try and get a bit more percent on them by camping them (they'll probably approach because they'll wan't to kill). If they do them might be stupid and just go for the grab in which case you can Winglunge them or Nair>Fastfall>Utilt.

Ledgecamping seems quite effective (when you're at high percents especially) you just have to watch out for Fsmash, sideB purple pikmin or the grab when you've lost your invincibility frames and still on the edge. If they're close enough for an Uair through the stage then do that (they can do it to you if they're on the edge to) but if they're further away drop down and shoot some arrows but make sure youre not close enough to them so that they can grab you or get you with one of their other moves.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also if you've been grabbed at high percents with a purple Pikmin you're going to get Dthrowed so make sure you DI across. If you're grabbed by a blue pikmin however it will likely be a Fthrow or Bthrow so DI up.
Just to make a small correction/throw out some info...

Purples are really good for upthrows, not dthrows. Upthrow is the one that'll kill really well. Blue bthrow is the second strongest bthrow in the game behind Ness, but is quicker. Don't ever not DI because you don't think it'll kill at the percent you're at. I've surprised several people that way before.

Blue upthrow kills vertically almost as well as a purple will, so be sure to keep that in mind. For that reason don't start jamming up until you're sure he does a backthrow. Either that or start jamming up, and then if you see him do an upthrow (which takes longer and you'll see the animation of it really easily), get ready to DI to a side.

Top Bottom