• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar help...

IrisKong

Smash Lord
This may be becuase I have only started using diddy for a couple days but I am having a really difficult time beating Olimar, my friend uses him after I annoy him enough with diddy. Is this a common thing or are there simple trix im missing? thanx in advance.

Azumouse

Smash Cadet
Diddy's nana'. olimar is fast and small and never in the same place for very long..so a good way to fight him is to keep nana tripping him over and over, and when he is on the move watch out, some of his attacks are a pain, very fast to activate and quite strong.
olimars pikmin, make olimar. When you see an open opportunity without punishment, kill one. without pikmin, olimar is powerless.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
See my buddy just hits the bananas away with pikmin and then picks them up and tosses em, the guy I play is a smash hog, all he does is c stick smash with him, making it difficult to get close.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
No Olimar is actually one of Diddys hardest matchups. You should be having troubles against him especially if you just picked Diddy up.
I guess you should first learn the basics if you dont already know them (short hops, fast falling etc.). Esepcially with your bananas and glidetossing. Those are really important to Diddys game and youll find most of the information you need in the Stickies.
Anyways if youve got those down you can start moving to more advanced things (dribbling and banana locking to name a few)
After your comfortable with Diddy you can focus on the more specific. Fisrt of all, do not approach Olimar unless hes vurnerable. The best situation would be after tripping him with a banana.
Second, when they camp with Pikmin, its hard to get them to trip, start short hopping peanuts to create a small window for you to throw an inhand banana midair. It usually has enough range to hit the Olimar if theyre at most, half the length of Final destination from you. After theyve tripped, go in. Stay in his face so he cant camp again and watch for your chance to hhit him with a another banana and follow up.

Tl;DR version: Get comfortable with Diddy. Once you have the basics and advanced stuff down, use your bananas tricks to create an opening. If they camp pressure with peanuts till you can fit a banana through and then go in so he cant camp anymore. Watch out for his range on grabs and smashes.

EDIT: I forgot one important thing. GIMP HIM. He very vurnerable cause he cant grab the ledge with UpB if your hanging on it. If it looks like hes too low to make on stage, then just hang on the edge. Even if you get hit by it, hell fall to his doom and your free to recover. Use peanuts and bananas to make him recover further so he has to grab the ledge. Then just hang there and thats one stock for you NO MATTER what percent he has. If you can pull of an offstage Fair, its pretty much a guaranteed kill.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
It really is all about gimping his recovery. You are not going to win off of just solid KO's. Hit him off stage ASAP. Edge hug effectively.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
Diddy's nana'. olimar is fast and small and never in the same place for very long..so a good way to fight him is to keep nana tripping him over and over, and when he is on the move watch out, some of his attacks are a pain, very fast to activate and quite strong.
olimars pikmin, make olimar. When you see an open opportunity without punishment, kill one. without pikmin, olimar is powerless.
and when he tries to get more pikmin out, punish. in his invincibility frames after death, he will have to get out some pikmin, so stay close by and punish.

be patient while approaching, his pikmin block naners, and his shield grab is amazing.

edit: olimar is one of the most annoying match ups behind marth and luigi

IrisKong

Smash Lord
Ill try harrassing with the peanut gun, thanx. I do know how to short hop and fast fall and I am getting really good at glide tossing the nanas ( i have banana locked my friends a few times actually). Its just difficult as heck to get through his pikman with one.
I have been reading the stickys and am a fast learner. I have known a lot of the stuff you can do before I joined the forums, just thought It may be a good idea to join. And I fully take advantage of Olimars lack of recovery, regardless who im playing as, same with anyone dumb enough to play ivysaur.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Ok well then its all about getting through the wall caused by his Pikmin. I guess SH air dodge if you wanna approach from the front and FH to banana throw down or if they Usmash, you can air dodge on the way down. Thats only when your desperat ethough. I find that the FH peanuts to banana throw usually get through but if it doesnt work for you, those are some other options.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yea just keep sh :) that should help a bit. beware of his arial attacks of course though they are beast! **** that upair! lol

just be cautious and use mindgames really :\ punish accordingly. basically win through the basics of smash by taking advantage of diddys versatility

ADHD

Smash Hero
Diddy vs olimar is slightly in his favor. It's practically even. Just don't approach until he trips and what ever pops up from hitting the pikmin just z catch it and rethrow it back at him. Eventually his naner defense will break. Grab him alot and basically be careful about what you do.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Diddy vs olimar is slightly in his favor. It's practically even. Just don't approach until he trips and what ever pops up from hitting the pikmin just z catch it and rethrow it back at him. Eventually his naner defense will break. Grab him alot and basically be careful about what you do.
...You say Marth his Diddy's hardest matchup...and then you go and say it's practically even on the Olimar matchup...? *sigh*

ADHD

Smash Hero
...You say Marth his Diddy's hardest matchup...and then you go and say it's practically even on the Olimar matchup...? *sigh*
p1 fails.......... Luigi is still diddy's 2nd hardest and this is after playing alot of friendlys with boss. ya just gotta spam fair XD

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I actually think that Olimar has like 55:45 advantage but leaning towards 6:4. It just doesnt seem even to me. It hard to create an opening. Olimar camps better than diddy does and if you cant get a banana through the wall of pikmin he creates, you really cant approach cause of his range. Youll just keep getting grabbed, smashed or aerial back out where he can camp again. But once you do get through, you can keep the pressure up and make it hard for him to get his bearings with and hes easy to gimp. Its a winnable matchup, just one of his more difficult ones.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
I havent found any good marth players with my group yet, but luigi gives me alot of trouble as Diddy as well for sure. I would say as for my play group the hardest diddy match ups are (in order) luigi, olimar, then Wolf. but im getting way better against wolf since i learned to banana combo, in fact i probably shouldnt even concider him difficult anymore....lol

Sanzi

Smash Apprentice
yeah i'm pretty sure diddy's fair and side b kick out prioritizes almost all of olimar's moves, which is why i like to use the side b kick to recover a lot. it will cancel their upsmash. just make sure you roll away fast enough after the lag of the move so he doesn't just hit you then. also i think his dash attack slays pikmin. i like trying to throw olimar off and follow with a diddy hump but what ends up happening is i either get daired or i miss terribly so i wouldn't recommend doing that more than once or twice in a match to try and get a gimp. hope that helped.

lol i think one of the most annoying things about olimar though is when he has out a few yellow pikmin and has a banana, so i can't tell which is which when he's moving around quickly.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well I hate Olimars that pivot grab a lot. It destroys me whenever I approach head on (especially a dash attack) Ive learned to stop doing it so yeah learn from my experiences; You Will Get Grabbed If You DA Predictibly. Dont do it unless hes tripped and its sure to hit. Youll get punished otherwise :ohwell:
And about using the sideB kick to recover, I admit that it is good at outprioritizing Pikmin but you got to watch out for getting punished. If Oli Powershields it, he has enough time after you land to pull of a smash, grab or pretty much anything he wants. And even if you hit him, Ive been hit by an Olimar who I hit when he had like 50% I believe. Its not really safe to kick unles he jumps out to hit you with an aerial and the kick will end before you touch the ground. Then youll go through his aerial and hit him(Ive went through a Fair with a red pikmin before :)) and if he air dodges, youll land with no lag so you can run away and pull some bananas or something.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Why is Luigi so difficult for everyone?

Olimar...is teh lulz. If you try an orthodox glide-toss approach, wall of Pikmin says hi. He camps so much better than you, murders straight-on approaches, and isn't as easy to gimp as you think. Side B, short hopped aerial approaches, and short hop banana throws work seem to work well.

Do not get aggravated and impatient, but don't try camping. It's pretty weird, because you get camped like heck so you can't stand away and be patient, but you can't be impatient and go for a head-on approach, or you get screwed. Stay calm throughout the match and try staying off the ground, only go aggressive when you've made him trip. When you're on defensive, Olimar is good against you at really any distance, so you want to keep momentum throughout the match.

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I'm just a ***** when it comes to playing Olimar, but don't approach him. Use bananas to get him to come to you. Only time you SHOULD approach him is if he's tripped. Otherwise, you're going to get grabbed into some gay Olimar combo.

tibs7

Smash Champion
This matchup is all about patience...as everyone else has said wait for the opening, it takes a while but it will eventually happen. i hardly ever use side b, i get punished to often for it.....you should also see what pikmin they have next, keep an eye as you can counter their grab length if they have a purple next.

Sanzi

Smash Apprentice
what's the best option for getting off pikmin stuck to you? i usually go with dash attack but is there something better?

Kage Me

Smash Ace
what's the best option for getting off pikmin stuck to you? i usually go with dash attack but is there something better?
With Meta Knight (who seems to be your main), try n-air.
For Diddy, dash attack is probably your best bet, but it really depends on the latch area.

Player-1

Smash Legend
REALLY good marths, not decent. You'd breeze through decent marths
...Yeah...well REALLY good Marths breeze past everyone, but you don't here a whole lot of complaining, REALLY good any chracter can breeze past just about any other character, not getting your point.

ADHD

Smash Hero
...Yeah...well REALLY good Marths breeze past everyone, but you don't here a whole lot of complaining, REALLY good any chracter can breeze past just about any other character, not getting your point.
The tactics that better marths use are the ones that coutner diddy, not decent ones. You will notice any old marth will rarely catch your bananas as a strategy, but once you play a good one its very aggrivating it happens so often.

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
The tactics that better marths use are the ones that coutner diddy, not decent ones. You will notice any old marth will rarely catch your bananas as a strategy, but once you play a good one its very aggrivating it happens so often.
I get ***** by Marth's glide toss > Fair. :(

Player-1

Smash Legend
Most Marths I play catch my bananas...

Adetque

Smash Apprentice
What frame does Olimar's grab come out? Because Diddy's dash attack has 0 shield advantage, if Olimar's grab comes out slower than Diddy's jab, Diddy could easily punish grab-happy Olimars. If I remember correctly, Diddy's jab comes out on frame 3, right?

EDIT: nevermind, forgot Olimar's grab had long range...

EDIT2: this would work if the Olimar likes to shield grab instead of grabbing immediately

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
oh ya just throwing a little something out there:

Be careful when using side-b against Olimar because it will likely hit you out of it.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Can you buffer outve dash attacking. Like if you dash attack a shield, could you buffer a spot dodge or a jab. If so, could someone tell me the timeframe for this?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Don't ever attack his shield with some risky thing EVERRRR and he can shield grab that!

white peachy

Smash Ace
Be really careful shieldgrabbing too. Nothing like two F-airs that look like they've been poorly spaced only to have a DB come back at you from the other direction....OHHH and recovering...watch out for the F-air gimping you. For some reason upB is less dangerous and semi-unreliable as an edge-released gimp/stage spike, just be wary of the edge-released F-air (when diddy is recoverying vertically)...that **** hurtssss.

...I like how the Olimar discussion has morphed into a marth discussion.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Most Marths I play catch my bananas...
I'm still going to say that Marth is the hardest match-up.
However, you and ADHD are focusing on little aspects of the Marth match-up.
When good players get good, they can read the other player. That's the first part, so basically they're either on your level, or a higher level of thinking.
At this point, the Marth learns to not run at you like a dumbfounded idiot.
He'll approach with short hops to two fairs or maybe a fast falled neutral air backwards.
Then on the edge guard, since Marth can knock you off stage so easily, Diddy's only real option is to grab the edge. From hear, Marth's fast falled neutral air becomes a complete B****.

I don't really expect you to change your opinion, but at the same time I don't see how such a well known Diddy player on the boards can't fathom the idea that Marth is in fact our hardest match up.

For example, we all know Le_Thien plays Diddy on an absurd level, but he still loses match-ups against people like RoyR.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Olimar is easy peasy, I'd just say it takes alot of practice but once you understand what to do you don't need to refresh this matchup at all.

ESOJOSE

Smash Ace
TEACH ME CHROME!!!! I dont have any olimars to practice with over here and theyre so annoying to play!!!!

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
For example, we all know Le_Thien plays Diddy on an absurd level, but he still loses match-ups against people like RoyR.
Marth is very hard for sure, and even a great deal more irritating than Meta Knight in a few subtle ways, but I don't know how I feel about him being the most difficult match-up in the game. Personally, the Snake match-up has exponentially increased in headache and difficulty in recent months, as predominately campy styles of the character have been tearing me up lately.

DallasPhat of Dallas (LOL?) usually alternates between Marth and Meta Knight in tournaments, and although he's leveled up a great deal as a player since OH SNAP! v4.0, I don't usually lose to either of them at an alarming rate. However, after spending a couple of days with the Dallas scene over the past spring break, he is considering going Snake against me in tournament just because grenade-camping seemed to be so asininely effective against me. I didn't do much recording the first night I was at Bwett's apartment, so I'll have to see if I have footage of him crushing me for three or four matches straight by blowing **** up. =)

To date, Roy_R is still the only Marth I have ever lost a set to in tournament. In a similar vein, Dojo, M2K and Infinity on alternating months are the only Meta Knights who have occasionally demolished my will to play Brawl all together in friendlies. Other than that, I have not lost to a MK player in tournament since September. It would seem that my intense familiarity with both these match-ups have kept me afloat against your run-of-the-mill Marths and MKs, despite the advantages they hold in both respective match-ups.

And I'm just throwing this out there, but Roy_R is easily one of the Top 10 players in the country, and unquestionably the best Marth in this space-time continuum. No disrespect to NEO, who was one of the nicest and most impressive players I had the pleasure of meeting at CoT4.

Funny aside - I still haven't forgotten how I complained about a headache I was having during the first day of the tournament, and NEO asked DMBrandon to hook me up with ibuprofen while he was in the middle of a money match, LOL. Diem asked his girlfriend if it was in his bag, but he was out, so NEO asked OmegaBlackMage, who thankfully came through.

Top Bottom