• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar general discussion

B.W.

Smash Champion
Grab is super active, but very punishable when you know when it ends. Don't start moving toward it until the Pikmin is walking backward, and you pretty much never want to try to spot dodge it because it rarely works. Literally, jump before it gets to you or move away from it.

B.W.

Smash Champion
No. Pikmin are invincible when they're in grab animation. It's the only move where they're both active and invincible which is why Olimar's grab is so good.

If you try to hit the Pikmin while they're grabbing you'll just get grabbed unless the attack was disjointed. Then nothing happens.

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
So roll away is best if I'm close to normal grab range while wavedash away is better if I'm in the middle or outer range of the grab?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Anything that gets you away from it without being grabbed.

Especially if you're Bowser because Olimar can 0-death you easy.

If you can help it though, you want to go over the grab to punish it.

B.W.

Smash Champion
For D-Throw, down and away. You should be able to tech like this, though I'm not completely sure if this will work for Bowser since I haven't played a Bowser in 3.5.

For U-Throw there's not much you can do. U-Throw stops being good for things once you have too much damage and that's about it.

Beware being grabbed by Blue at high damage. F-Throw and B-Throw are really strong kill throws... Especially B-Throw.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
To add on at what's been said, mind Blue Uthrow on lower ceiling stages, as it's also a kill throw at high percents.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
Yes, but I'd be more worried about D-Throw U-Smash because that's actually stronger for killing.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
every post I make on the PM subreddit talking about how bad this character is gets me a ton of upvotes per post

****ing Olimar lol

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
It's nice to know that SS still has an Olimar and is equally as salty as I am about the purple grab range nerf.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
You're a bit late to the "oli is bad" party. 99% of the pm boards thinks so as well.

Don't worry, though. One day, Oli mains will be rewarded for their patience and crush all the non-believers who dared to doubt our lord and savior Olimar.

Just have faith...

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I feel like Olimar can be the Yoshi of PM if someone pushes him to his limits

I'mma pick him up again guys

steelguttey

mei is bei

i mean you can try

his recovery is still the easiest recovery in the game to edgeguard so theres that. and he has **** matchup against most of the cast

he stomps people where he has good matchups tho, which is weird.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
1. What do you guys do for edge guarding/gimping?
I honestly feel to scared sometimes to go for anything big, even when I have it (cause y'know. recovery and such)

2. Do we have a dedicated video compendium?
I would think not. (cause y'know. there's 8 of us and such.)

FLOWERED YELLOW CHANGES GAMES.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Yeah I hear ya, his recovery is a joke, but hey if it were easy everyone may play him lol.

And Fairs are good at early percents especially if theyre white, good for gimping, but i havent played real people with him yet.

Anyone do tech chases with Dair? I feel like this is good if mastered

B.W.

Smash Champion
Tech chase with N-Air. Same results basically.

Almost every kill I get with Olimar involves me going deep as **** to edgeguard with a F-Air

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Oh goodie, some more Oli videos.

Dotcom, I feel your first opponent had no solid idea what to do against Oli, especially when he was Zard. When you were coming in deep at one point, I felt he could have Naired instead of Bair to gimp you (I mean, you could have countered with an aerial if so, but Zard Nair comes out pretty quick and using one of your own aerials would waste precious air time and have caused you to fall to your death). That second match was better for him, with the jab reset and whatnot with Kirby (and I think you felt that feel you feel when the pikmin antenna touches the ledge, but you don't reach it anyway T_T), using a quick aerial to get off pikmin (Nair in this case) and so on. I still think he respected your aerial options off stage a bit too much (he could have Naired or Daired for the gimp at some points).

As for your own play, you really shouldn't roll all that much with Oli (it has no invincibility for the last 14 frames, leaving you open to fast characters trying to chase with a dash attack or grab) and wavedash instead (and you can also pikmin toss after getting a better stage position with it! And you can waveland out of SH pikmin toss as well). Tbh, you seem to know what to do in most cases. Just don't get predictable with your grabs, as some characters can bait and punish it fairly easy (Fox comes to mind) and be aware of other combo starters like Dtilt and dash attack if you see an opening instead of grab to Uthrow (both of the attacks come out earlier then grab), but you've also been using those, so yeah. Seconding that you should JC Oli's grabs.

Only watched those matches up till now, but I'll update this later, maybe, after seeing some more. Shok, please post vids too. I need more Oli videos to see what other people are doing with him and picks some things up, maybe.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
@ Dotcom Dotcom , I've used dash grab just to push Olimar and his Pikmin a tiny bit closer to the other player, but JC and pivot grabs are pretty much the only ones needed.

B.W.

Smash Champion
So I've been out of the scene for a while due to dumb medical stuff. I'm almost better and hopefully soon I'll be ready to get back to the game.

When I hit up PM again I'm gonna use Olimar for a while again since the last time I played at all it seems my break has helped me get over bad habits from 3.02.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455

Yo there's a fundamental difference between Oli and (Melee) Yoshi

They both have a rather high skill floor, they're both tough to pick up and have incredibly frustrating amounts of information and tech to learn in order to perform at any real competitive level.

That's where it ends though. Yoshi's skill ceiling includes being being completely untouchable through parries and armor, with infinite pressure through DJCs- far surpassing Falco and approaching Fox at TAS levels. Olimar's skill ceiling includes trying to abuse tools you don't have in order to get **** on less by bad scenarios you can't stop from happening.

I'm sure Melee Mewtwo has an incredible skill ceiling, but it doesn't matter because he doesn't have the tools to abuse the few inherent advantages he has. I'd say Olimar sits somewhere around that power level.

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I'm sure Melee Mewtwo has an incredible skill ceiling, but it doesn't matter because he doesn't have the tools to abuse the few inherent advantages he has. I'd say Olimar sits somewhere around that power level.
In relation to the different games I'd agree, but current Olimar is leagues better than Melee Mewtwo.

IMO the skill ceiling for Olimar isn't actually all that high, it's just memorizing and figuring out how to use each type of Pikmin and figuring out where they are is a bit tricky. Moveset considered though, the character is easy-mode.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I just meant it in the way he won't be picked up by anyone until someone does work with him and shows he ain't a pushover.

hidensheik11

Smash Apprentice
any Olimars want to play? need matchup exp
1000+ matches on fg & yet to see an Olimar

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I just meant it in the way he won't be picked up by anyone until someone does work with him and shows he ain't a pushover.
SS did that.

I actually think Oli's still really good, it's just that his bugs are getting in the way.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I consider his recovery, rng, and everything about his grab to be bugs.

Once those are fixed I don't think I'll have complaints about the character, just suggestions.

Top Bottom