• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Shade_

Smash Ace
I don't know, I can try, what day is today? Im still lost and confused in this time difference thing since I got back, plus I can't think very well anymore cus my brain has been turned to mush, pushing my tiny listening and translating Japanese as far as possible for the past few weeks.

Is it wednsday? or thursday?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
The performance of Scions are decent, and they're nice cars for our age group to have. The TC is the one I guess you're talking about? That one's not too horrible, it's got okay MPG IIRC, but the stand out feature about all Scions is that they're customized for the teenage to 26 year old market meaning that they're styled in a cool sort of way, easily customizable, and come with just stuff that you'd want. They're also cheap.

But for 17 thousand, why not get a Civic >_> In all honesty, I think that's the best for your price car on the market.

And I just want to say that Kuni is another guy I haven't seen in a long, long time.

[edit]

I would say human decency would be a good reason to . . .

Scud

Smash Apprentice
Agreed, about the decency thing. I have not seen Kuni in awhile either :-/, or Yawara :-O!

As far as cars go, my cousin's family has a scion and I thought it looked pretty cool for how cheap and how many MPG it got. So I thought to myself that if I had to get a car I would get that one. But yea I wanted to know of a cheap, cool, and high mpg car.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i concur with civic.

anyway, we hang out scud....pretty much whenever you call me to say "let's hang out." so yeah. as long as it isn't on a weekday before 5, i'm good. call me whenevs, bro.

Gravity

Smash Ace
i tihnk the toyota celica is far superior to the scion tc. too bad they stopped making it.

still, you can get a used one for not too bad, 8-10 thousand for an 05.

and the celica came in a 6speed version. plus, it looks ****ing sweet for a cheap affordable car:

Scud

Smash Apprentice
How many MPG does that thing get? It looks pretty sweet for being so cheap.
Marth can edgeguard.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
The hell Andy. I thought you hated all Ricer cars. The Celic is THE ricer car. lol That, the Supra, the CSX

If you're going for that type of car in that sort of range, I'd get an RSX.

Performance wise, I'm pretty sure it's better than the Celica and surpasses (according to a friend of mine who's actually selling his Celica) it in MPG. That or go for a Mazdaspeed Mazda 3 (yes, that's the name of it).

Oh, and before someone suggets it, cars you don't want to look into: Rx-7, RX-8, American cars

I'm guessing your price range would be about 18,000 for a new car and then down. I'm guessing you also want a sleeker looking car with good performance and good mpg. The only cars that offer that really are Japanese (Ricer) cars. Of these though, the RX-7/RX-8 has the best. It's an amazing car, but the problem is I don't think you want to maintain it since it's bloody difficult to. The car's got a rotary-type engine which means that it's got ridiculous numbers, but it breaks down basically everytime you park it.

[edit]

Dude, brett, I just watched Flash vs Janbi (1) too! LOL that match was awesome.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
Yawara you are talking about the match that came to a draw right? That was pretty awesome and hilarious. I loved the buildings over the seige tanks so he couldn't target them. Carriers are scary :(. Good thing he had tons of goliaths and missle turrets. I liked how they weren't really paying much attention at the end.
I'm actually surprised that came to a tie because first...that never happens, second, flash shouldn't be losing to or coming to a draw with jangbi :( (he lost to jangbi that same day earlier).
Someone else love SC.
Yawara is like cfalc, he has nipples.

Edit:
Are you ever on msn yawara?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Ah, no not really lol Just send me a message on facebook if you wanna talk or something lol

And that match was SO HILARIOUS at the end. I was laughing so hard when Flash was like playing around with like stickynotes or something at the end XD And teh buildings strategy was hilarious too The amount of factories and **** that came down was awesome. And the carriers vs goliaths was hilarious. I've never seen a screen so cluttered ever especially cause there were like 100 goliaths + 50 turrets vs like 25 carriers or something XD

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
LOL

Classic Kuni *love*

That was the exact car that I just told Brett not to get :p

I mean, it's a good car in that if you were in a race and you needed a easily moded high performance car/drifting car, that's your choice. But the thing is the engine is a rotary engine meaning it produces more power, like a ton more power, but that sacrifices the engine's longevity and needs constant maintenance which = more money.

If there's any car in Japan that hou should have seen that you like, it should be the GT-R or the new Evo X or the WRX STI. When my bro went to Japan, he told me he actually saw a ton of GT-Rs which is pretty sweet.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Should I be posting my old AP scores now . . . ?
No... AP doesn't determine the worthiness of your life like IB does.

And yeah, AP tests suck. It's like a huge room full of stupid people who act like they're going to know what they're doing and have no regard for the proctor's instructions, so the proctor gets angry and yells at everyone.

Also:

wut? on speaking passable English said:
I would rather not there's no reason too scud
This is quite possible the most blasphemous post I have ever seen.

And I don't know anything about cars or engines... which is kind of ironic since I'm majoring in engineering.

And I might be able to make the Smashfest Friday. It probably depends mostly on whether something comes up then, which is possible.

@ Yawara and Brett: In which level of math did you two start at OU? And what was the highest level math class you took in high school?

Man this post was so procrastinated. Now I've just gotta comment this girl back on Facebook. And email my math teacher about the math contest, IB tests, and college math class.

Shade_

Smash Ace
I looked up the cars you told me about, and yeah I saw like an evo every day probably, the other two weren't as popular but I remember them being there a few times.

I just liked the way the Mazda looked. What would be more expensive and better, that or a corvette? Disregarding milege.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Took AB Calc, could have gone to Calc III, decided against it, went Calc II. Brett went to like Calc IV or something crazy.

And AP tests are fun. I don't know what you guys had, but mine were fun. Some were actually challenging like the Latin AP

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
>_>

You never want to actually disregard mileage, but the RX-7 and the RX-8 are both cheaper, more affordable, and actually perform better on a track than a corvette. A corvette is actually a highly overrated car. It's basically got no redeeming value.

More expensive =/= better in terms of cars sometimes. In this case, I'd rather take the Mazda. The Corvette has a ton more horsepower, but that's it in all honesty. When it comes down to it, the best performance cars aren't the ones that make loud sounds and go straight. It's the one that manage to take advantage of speeds through corners and extra horsepower is supposed to aid in that. A corvette is just a loud, screamy machine. Mazda however actually built a good machine. Still, it'll break down every time you park it. <_<

Shade_

Smash Ace
Lol, but it looks cool, and when i finally get the money to get one I think i will, cus I guess normally in japan everyone uses a train or bus anyway. thanks for the info sar.

Gravity

Smash Ace
>_>

You never want to actually disregard mileage, but the RX-7 and the RX-8 are both cheaper, more affordable, and actually perform better on a track than a corvette. A corvette is actually a highly overrated car. It's basically got no redeeming value.

More expensive =/= better in terms of cars sometimes. In this case, I'd rather take the Mazda. The Corvette has a ton more horsepower, but that's it in all honesty. When it comes down to it, the best performance cars aren't the ones that make loud sounds and go straight. It's the one that manage to take advantage of speeds through corners and extra horsepower is supposed to aid in that. A corvette is just a loud, screamy machine. Mazda however actually built a good machine. Still, it'll break down every time you park it. <_<
i beg to differ.

first of all, its not ricer cars that i hate, its riced cars. theres a difference.

now, the rx-7, first that picture pisses me off, because of the body kit, but the rx7 is in itself a good car. i personally dont like it, but whatever. the rx-8 is extremely cool, the definiton of sport sedan, i recommend that, but not really for racing. just for awesome street driving. but, they dont make rx7s any more. so yeah.

now, the corvette. its not just a car taht goes straight. as for your beloved gtr, the new corvette got 3 seconds faster lap time around the ring. 3 seconds is huge, and the ring is far more than straight lines. iirc, theres only one straight longer than a third of a mile.
http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2008/06/corvette-zr1-tops-gt-r-ring-lap-time.html
now dont get me wrong, i tihnk the new gtr is a *****in car, but its not the be all and end all of high performance sports cars. and the new corvette is about 20 grand more, but corvettes dont have ****ty handling, thats a stereotype that pisses me off.

also, all facts aside, i think the corvette looks better than a mazda rx7. and id rather have an 04 (or whatever) corvette for around 25 grand than whatever an rx7 costs.

and not to be a technical *** hole(even though i am)you said the best performance cars arent the ones that go in a straight line fast, but theres a difference between performance cars and sports cars. look at a mustang, and a miata.

now miatas are cool. out of all the mazdas i think its my favorite. its got handling off teh charts, but like a I4 or something.

also, im not trying to make it sound like lap times on the ring mean everything (or anything), but i hate the stereotype that corvettes cant handle.

now, as for the original question, a brand new corvette is almost 50, a 4 year old corvette is about half that(depending on miles), the rx7, depending on what year, anywhere from 4-10 grand(i guess, i have no idea on this one). stock, a corvette would go faster, significantly so.

which is better? thats up to you. do some research. or read my post and guess. rx-7 is from japan, corvette is from america, and you like japanese things. youd probably like the rx7 more, but youve alredy told me you really like corvettes.

HOWEVER, the best thing for your first car is a piece of **** that gets good mileage, like my last car.

take everything i say with a grain of salt though, as i am biased and i just want to argue.

i really like domestics more than imports. with a few exceptions.

also, rx-7s dont always look like that picture, thats a body kit that pisses me off, but you seem to be the kind of guy who likes them. just be warned, thats not stock appearance.

forgive the rant and long text, but i like to argue and i liek tot alk about cars lo

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
first of all, its not ricer cars that i hate, its riced cars. theres a difference.
Lol, you mean cars with like dragons all over them? I know some guy with a car like that.

The red car in that banner is really cool.

And yeah like, I never actually had a calculus class in high school. Senior year, IB majors at my school have to take math studies (which I won), which does have differential calculus in it, but I'm not sure if it's enough to pass the first year of calculus at OU. Some people took calculus in their junior year, but they had to either have started with algebra I in 7th grade (as opposed to algebra I part A, like my fool then-counselor scared me into taking) or would have had to have double-up at some point. Ironically, they offer only one calculus class at my school, and I think that it goes up to only calculus II. It's funny, though, because I'm better at math than almost all of the people who had calculus at my school. I didn't really get that into math until junior year, though, but I was good at it, although I was more of a borderline A/B student in algebra II and pre-calculus, though (although I was the only person last year to have made a perfect score on the math studies pre-requisite test, which featured a lot of algebra II and pre-calculus). Basically, I feel deprived and that I haven't been positioned to learn as much as I should have.

Gravity

Smash Ace
you have expensive tastes in cars. bugatti veyron, most expensive and until recently fastest production car.

1.6 million dollar car, 0-60 in under 3 seconds, top speed of 253 mph.

16 cylinders arranged in a w formation, with 4 turbo chargers, producing 1001 horsepower.

it has something like 12 radiators.

also, the top speed is limited to around 150 until you put in a special key and go through a checklist, at which point the spoiler lowers and the whole car gets a couple inches closer to the ground. its a beast.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9hEZc4JMMsk is an awesome video, and the music makes it even more awesome. you should watch it, its top gears test of that 253 claim.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Okay, before people think Andy and I like hate each other or anything dumb, Andy and I talk cars anyway at Brett's place or if we're riding together. It's just something that happens. We also know that I love import cars while Andy likes domestic ones. That's just how it goes. I think we get it from our dads >_> That said, I'm the last person to say that I do not like to argue and I'm willing to go paragraph per paragraph vs anyone here. Especially when it's something I like which includes smash and cars but is not limited to just the two. That said, *rolls up sleeves*

Yeah, I was about to bring up the veyron thing as well . . . More epic video is when the Veyron raced the jet. Of coures it lost, but it managed to do pretty well. Also some of the just pure engineering parts of the Veryon was just cool to hear about. For instance, the spoiler that the car has, when you apply the brakes and the spoiler moves up to create air resistance, apparently the spoiler itself has the same breaking force as a hatchback car. That and the Veyron's brakes should be the size of planets . . .

Anyways as a response to Andy's post.

GT-R, IMO, is the end all of high performance cars for the sole reason that it not only puts up outstanding numbers but is also the most affordable car you can get for that price tag. The ZR1, the one you posted, is a $100,000 car. GT-R is only $70,000. That's a $30,000 difference for a 0.3 second difference. I know that it is a significant difference in laptimes, but the fact is that the new Vette is $30,000. Also Nissan has a standard for quality in which it builds its cars. The GT-R is engineered specifically so that it will last forever. According to my Bro, who lived in Japan and was around the racing scene there, the Skyline GTR R32, which is a 20 year old car, is still running on the streets in Japan perfectly. That's a 20 year old car that still manages to hit the streets. How many people with Corvettes do you know even want to take it out on the road that long? So far as a standard of excellence goes, I'll more than willingly give it to Nissan. And among Japanese cars makers including Toyota, Mazda, and Honda (with cars like the NSX, FD RX-7, Miata, SC430, MR2, Integra, etc) Nissan's handling has always managed to be one of the best. The only car that has really given the car for a run for its money is the newest NSX which is like from 2005 (which is the same as the 2001 model basically) or something. The GT-R basically thrashes the rest of the Japanese auto-scene and has transcended to compete with all expensive American and European cars.

The closest cars that compete the GT-R with regards to price and performance are: The ZR1 you mentioned at $100,000, the Audi R8 which is $100,000, and the Honda NSX at $90,000.

Of course, I have the Japanese car bias. That's obvious. On Smashboards, I was the dude who started the Japanese video trend! You can go to the video thread and see that I was the one who kept up with the scene there.

But with that said, I will go and say that the new Corvette is an impressive machine. I read a headline about that from Edmunds a while ago too, but I ignored it because I didn't think that was a stock car. Apparently though, GM claims it is, so I'll concede the point that the Corvette is a better car than the I, and the stereotype, believes. However, I will not go as far as to say that I will ever take the ZR1 over the GT-R. For $70,000 and for all the the accessories that it has, coupled with the reliability of the car's history and its performance numbers, I don't see how the ZR-1 will be known as the better car.

Also, I'd like to say that I have a bias against Mazda. My brother loves them, I don't think they're that great. I also don't like the RX-8 so much with regards to the way it looks, but its performance is amazing given with the limits it has to work with. But the RX-8 is worse than the RX-7. This information is firsthand from people I know who have driven these cars in America as well as the fact that in Japan, the RX-8 is never used in real races. :/ You can put out the excuse that the RX-8 is a 4 door sedan, but it doesn't really change the fact that it's actually worse than the RX-7.

But Andy, come on. Are you seriously going to suggest Kuni to get a Corvette over a RX-7/8? an 05 corvette over an RX-8? Yeah, they're about the same price, but would you really trust a used 05 Corvette? I know everyone talks about how if you don't drive the car hard it won't wear out, but who can resell a Corvette and had not rode it hard?

Also, FYI, there's a revision of the stock model of the GT-R coming out soon that's designed to reduce its weight. Like you say, weight reduction is the best way to tweak performance in cars, eh? I'm not saying it'll beat the time set, and I'm doubtful as to if it'll even shave off a significant amount of time, but it's fun to speculate.

[Edit]

Forgot to tell you Andy, my bro and I were going to Bestbuy and guess what we saw?

Gravity

Smash Ace
sweet pictures, should have posed like a car model.

anyway, i dont recommend a corvette OR a rx 8 to kuni. i recommend a late 90s honda civic. nissan altima. toyota corolla. dodge stratus. ford contour. that kind of crap.

also, personally i want a corvette over an rx7/8, and i think kevin would enjoy it more. still a bad car for a teenager and a worse car for a first car.

now, corvette/gtr argument isnt really an argument, id go ahead and put them in different price brackets. and bang for your buck wise gtr>pretty much all. the only thing with similar perfomance on the dollar is a mustang gt at 27 grand. but who really wants a mustang anymore? but its still like comparing apples and oranges. i guess ill go with the gtr being a "better" car than the zr1, but i use that term vaguely. i think (cant find any confirming facts, besides lap times) that the zr1 will outperform the gtr in almost all ways. however, i think the margin will be so small to almost be negligible on all things except acceleration, where it will still not be alot, which i cant imagine spending 30000 dollars for. although the difference was 3 whole seconds, not 3 tenths as you stated. although, i think the zr1 looks assloads better than the gtr, but thats just me, and i can hardly use that for anything.

i think the engineering on the gtr is pretty sweet though, dual clutch setups are sweet. plus that active torque splitter thing they use is really cool. im not down with the gps limiter on the cars performance, only unlocking it fully at racetracks and ****, but i dont if thats really in or not. although the corvette isnt a pushover, 650 horsepower out of any engine is a feat.

regardless, the gtr v spec or whatever its called sounds ungodly. do you know how much that will cost? still, id rather have the corvette.

if you really want to talk about bang for your buck, i have one thing to say:
msrp of 12000
0-60 of under 3 seconds
top speed of well over 200(186 with the governor)
AND almost 30 mpg?

also, did you notice how kevin called you sar?

wtf

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
>_>

<_<

Anyways, the GT-R V-spec is the one that's supposed to have like carbon fiber everything and carbon brakes and all that? I'm pretty sure that'll be pushing towards 6 digits . . . As for the engineering thing, the design is revolutionary for the car. I've never actually known of any 4wd cars that manage to pull of this kind of speeds. The only other 4wd super cars are what, the Audi and maybe the Porsche 911 turbo 4wd edition?

Also, the limiter that's set in, I heard that it's only on if you get it insured or something??? I don't know, but basically it doesn't have to have it. You can go without it but the company won't pay you back or something? I don't know.

And 600+ HP out of a V8 is pretty impressive. There are V12 cars that barely post higher than that.

And it's better than Yowara I guess . . .

Scud

Smash Apprentice
Ever since I mentioned a Scion......
I guess I'm having a smashfest tomorrow, even though no one has responded saying they are coming. I don't want to have one and like 3 people show up.

Gravity

Smash Ace
well yawara, ill just say, every bike like that stock ahs a limiter, but its hella easy to get rid of.

and every lambo currently produced has 4 wheel drive.

and speaking of cars, i cant make it to bretts smashfest, and cant give anyone a ride. ive already said this, but im reiterating.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
Yay alex, yea i'll give you a ride if you can't get one.
Oh, everyone....i get off of work at 6 so don't come until like 6:30pm. KTHNXBAI
Drew is wright, he loves me, wright?

Top Bottom