• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

DualCats

Smash Ace
****. I hate responsibility. So, just to make sure we're all clear on this, we intend to run a melee/brawl monthly(?) at the union on some day during spring break?

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
are we sure its free venue at the union? I thought it costs the clubs money.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i've rented rooms at ou in the past, there are fee listings for non-students, students, and clubs. there were rooms, such as the sooner room (that 1st floor small one we've had like 8 smash tournies in at this point) that was listed as free for students and clubs, while some are just free for clubs, and some charge all entities (just different pricing depending on student/club status).

naturally free tournaments get bigger turnouts. did we want this one to be free? if things have changed and the sooner room costs $ we'll have to charge a small 5 dollar venue fee anyway it seems.

if spring break does not work for you (speaking to everyone here), please suggest other possible dates. this needs to be at least 4 weeks away, and not during midterms. feb 25/mar 3 are possibilites, i guess.

also, since this is for a PR/in-state competition, i think a thread is unnecessary and will probably be more confusing than helpful. we should just info dump here. po owns the first post now, so we can always alter the title/content of the thread/first post with info for our next monthly.

edit: sooner room is still free for students to book - straight from the union's site:

Sooner Room
Room number 151

Square footage: 875
Capacity with banquet rounds layout: 48 people
Capacity with theater layout: 50 people
Capacity with classroom tables layout: 45 people
Capacity with reception layout: 75 people
Capacity with u-shape layout: 24 people
Capacity with conference layout: 28 people
Capacity with hollow square layout: 18 people
Student organization rates: no charge
University rates: no charge
Non-university rates: $65

double edit: there are also a ****ton of rooms on the 2nd floor that are free for clubs, a few of which are also free for students.
http://union.ou.edu/content/view/90/5/

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
it offered cash rewards, but for PR purposes i think getting a PR spot would merit enough for people to put forth effort (maybe)

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
If we need a student to hold this in order for a free rate, I could do it. Hosting a tournament could also help flesh out my resume.

Also, I'm tempted to use Hazy's signature picture for my own on another forum, lol.

Jity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitty_009
3DS FC
2363-6509-4817
Not that I'm anticipating any solid ranking on the list, but if we're doing it over Spring Break, I'd prefer it if we could do it either early or late into the holiday. I have to head back to Texas during that time period, so holding it on a Wednesday for example just wouldn't be that feasible for me to attend.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
I'm looking forward to this.
I'll enter brawl and melee.
Anyone going to forests bday party they are holding? I wanna melee.

:phone:

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
i didnt know they were holding one for him. id like to actually attend the gravesite on the anniversary of his passing though. anybody know when that was?

DualCats

Smash Ace
ho shit, is that tomorrow? I forgot but I'm planning on going.

i didnt know they were holding one for him. id like to actually attend the gravesite on the anniversary of his passing though. anybody know when that was?
I think it was technically July 4th. Someone may correct me on this.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I think it was actually July 3, but the news didn't really start to spread until the 4th. I was always kind of confused about that because I didn't heard about it until the 4th, but official documentations stated it as the 3rd so I'm guessing that's what happened. I am definitely going to be going to his birthday party tomorrow, as should anyone else who can. I'm glad it was brought up.

Anyway I've still been lurking this thread but I've been too lazy to post. But now that the gauntlet has been thrown (see DualCats, #31326), I am officially obligated to post.

A PR/RR thing sounds good. I should really be able to make time for such a thing on any weekend. I'm taking only 13 credit hours this semester, but I'm also graduating at the end of the semester and have started taking full-fledged graduate-level courses for my master's degree (so I'll be around and in school here for at least another year), and I've also started to see my path in life as an academic/researcher, so I've started to get really serious about my studies instead of just doing what I need to do well in my classes. So basically, I'm wanting to spend more of my time studying (whether for my classes or other things in which I'm interested in learning), because I feel that doing so is the most valuable way to spend my spare time with respect to my future. Of course, this doesn't mean that I'm dropping Melee (I'll still dabble in Brawl from time to time, as well), but I just feel that it's more important to spend extra time on academic pursuits than on stepping up my Melee game (because I mean, I am seeing quite a few more perks to being a well-known academic figure than being a well-known Melee player, and given the circumstances the former actually seems more possible than the latter). Fortunately, I feel that my Melee game has been naturally maturing itself during down-time, anyway, so I think I'll be fine in that regard as long as I play even as much as once a week or two (and I should be able to play more than that). I'm also someday wanting to study Melee as a subject of applied neural networks and evolutionary computation, and I'm also interested in examining the source code to study the mathematical/computational mechanics of Melee.

Speaking of the Melee source code, at the Computer Science Research Day last semester, there was a student who had a running setup of five-player Melee on interactive display. The fifth controller, as you might guess, was connected to a laptop. It turns out that the student is one of the co-developers of the software (GCARS) that I used to play online Melee against Vidjo many years ago (granted, the connection quality was pretty abysmal, but there was online conncetion). Now that I've had more schooling, I'm interested in trying my hand at Melee modifications sometime.

Anyway, that's what's been going on with me, lately.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
The Silent Wolf Samus stuff I think is a lot cooler. ****'s off the chain, should look it up.

Also, Chris, I went and played SFIV for the first time at an arcade today. They didn't have Super, so I had to play Vanilla, but I went on a 13 win streak with Akuma, a 6 win streak with Ryu.

All I did with Akuma was Forward Roundhouse, crouching medium into light tatsu, sweep. Then I just either did air fireballs or demon flips. As for Ryu, I just anti-aired and footsied into fireballs.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
I'm n okc off of expressway and council all week every week. Stay there with a friend. If someone wants to drive over since I.have money after 10 any night I'm working I'm game.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I still have that movie theater reserved for Wednesday night, but could I get a headcount of how many people intend to go, and how many can provide a setup? Just so I know whether or not to make this a weekly thing.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
If I can get at least 5 or 6 people, I'll probably continue the weekly reservations.

Also:

Fox and Falco don't have legs or feet. They're metal prosthetics.

The mystery as to why Fox Usmash hits like a ****ing truck, and why Falco Bair Uair Dair and DA beat damn near everything is now solved.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
@Chris: Ya, me too lol To be honest, the area where i am, there's not a huge interest in SF. There's some 3rd strike players, but there's not too many SF cabinets.

Mostly there's like Tekken cabinets and anime fighters, like every anime fighter. Everyone seems to be on BB or AH or some other anime fighter, and the guys who play guilty gear here are pretty ridiculous. Saw some really high level Eddie play while I was bodying in Vanilla 4.

But ya, no SF fans, just anime fighting games that I don't really wanna learn atm.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I hopped onto the Korean server from my [korean] friend's SC account.

I got rushed constantly, so if the TF2 is anything like, I'd probably rage.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I was wandering around the forums for the first time in a great while and as I observed a few threads, one thing became painfully clear-- The relative IQ of the people here is very, very low...

People arguing the same circular points that have been around since Brawl released(some date from even before that), people who need to put their thesaurus away and go to a grammar and syntax class, people who misinterpret Sirlin's "Play To Win" ad naseum...

Oh, and my favorite-- All these 'experts' who, while they can tell you everything you're doing wrong as a player, have never even ventured anywhere near an actual tournament, because they don't actually know how to play this game(be it Brawl or Melee) competently, but like to sound like they do. Pure Theorycraft on display there, folks.

I don't even remember if I had a point, but Smashboards used to be better than this. I'm really saddened to see what it's turned into. It's like the fighting spirit has just been sucked out of everyone...

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
I'll agree with you on that when it comes to character threads. For falco at least, the lot of discussion goes on in the backroom/random aim discussions between mains.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
It's better than what the Sonic board can say though - I don't think we've had a single metagame-centric discussion since October.

I'm partly to blame though; I said I would make a new MU thread to discuss stuff in, and I haven't gotten around to doing that yet. Mostly because I have yet to think of or create a way to keep discussion condensed via pictures and whatnot.

Jity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitty_009
3DS FC
2363-6509-4817
I can provide a Wii at the least for Wednesdays. Unfortunately I can't provide a CRT television.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Ice climbers are still kickin it strong and gettin better. Tossing out new info and sharing styles and situational stuffs.....
Needless to say I'm not one gettin better >.<

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
ness boards = 50 people boasting that they're the 2nd best ness after simna.
sheik boards = circlejerk around mediocre players, postcount mistaken for skill
ganon boards = basically a support group, go there if your self esteem ever gets low

Top Bottom