• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oh No, my Gamecube is dead!

Maeotian

Smash Cadet
For about a month now, I've had this issue with my Gamecube. Every time (and I do mean EVERY time) I pop in a disc, it can't read it for some reason. It goes right to the little cube menu, and when I select the "Play Game" option or whatever it's called, it just says "NO DISC". Now, just so you'll know, it has nothing to do with the discs or the lens, because not only was the lens clean, but I actually tested it with a recently bought copy of Four Swords Adventures, which had no scratches on it at all, but it still did the same thing and would not play. I'd always been thinking about getting a Wii for a while, so I figure with this and Brawl coming soon, , my holiday shopping plans are pretty set.

But still, is there anything I can still do with the Gamecube? Is there anyway to fix it, or should I just throw it to the dogs and wait for my Wii?

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Yeah just get a Wii then it it won't matter anyway.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
For about a month now, I've had this issue with my Gamecube. Every time (and I do mean EVERY time) I pop in a disc, it can't read it for some reason. It goes right to the little cube menu, and when I select the "Play Game" option or whatever it's called, it just says "NO DISC". Now, just so you'll know, it has nothing to do with the discs or the lens, because not only was the lens clean, but I actually tested it with a recently bought copy of Four Swords Adventures, which had no scratches on it at all, but it still did the same thing and would not play. I'd always been thinking about getting a Wii for a while, so I figure with this and Brawl coming soon, , my holiday shopping plans are pretty set.

But still, is there anything I can still do with the Gamecube? Is there anyway to fix it, or should I just throw it to the dogs and wait for my Wii?
my gamecube is dead too. as soon as i got my wii i kissed it and put it back in its NGC Box.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Your laser's probably out of alignment. You can try to fix it, but it's probably not really worth it--if you're interested in getting a Wii, it'll play your GameCube games. If not, you can get another Cube for cheap.

I tried fixing the laser on mine when it starting having the same problems. At its best I got it to read a disc for 10-15 minutes, until it refused to read it again, and I'd have to reset it. So it was still basically unplayable--you're probably best off replacing it.

The Lighthouse probably has some threads on this issue (or similar ones)--it's not an uncommon issue, so I'd imagine others have posted about it. I'll move this thread there now.

Snake King 1

Smash Apprentice
Checking every character for weaknesses, for &quot

JUST SELL IT ON EBAY, SOME STUPID PERSON WILL BUY IT EVENTUALLY:laugh::chuckle::cool::)

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
JUST SELL IT ON EBAY, SOME STUPID PERSON WILL BUY IT EVENTUALLY:laugh::chuckle::cool::)
Yeah, and then they'll give you a bad rating so you probably won't be able to sell anything else, plus the eBay administrators might take action against your account.

Not to mention you probably won't get all that much money anyway on a used Gamecube.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Your laser's probably out of alignment. You can try to fix it, but it's probably not really worth it--if you're interested in getting a Wii, it'll play your GameCube games. If not, you can get another Cube for cheap.

I tried fixing the laser on mine when it starting having the same problems. At its best I got it to read a disc for 10-15 minutes, until it refused to read it again, and I'd have to reset it. So it was still basically unplayable--you're probably best off replacing it.

The Lighthouse probably has some threads on this issue (or similar ones)--it's not an uncommon issue, so I'd imagine others have posted about it. I'll move this thread there now.
My GC has the same problem, I havnt got a Wii yet but getting one for X-mas. So say I get a Wii but I want to play a GC game with all the same data in the GC memory card. Does the GC memory card work for the Wii, for I could keep all the data on it from my GC or do I havta start all over again with the GC games I have?

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
My GC has the same problem, I havnt got a Wii yet but getting one for X-mas. So say I get a Wii but I want to play a GC game with all the same data in the GC memory card. Does the GC memory card work for the Wii, for I could keep all the data on it from my GC or do I havta start all over again with the GC games I have?
GC memory cards work just fine on the Wii.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Really thats good to hear thanks for the info Mediocre. Guess I'll just forget bout fixing that d@mn GC.

in that rundown stage hyrule nobody uses anymore..
call up nintendo repairs they've helped me with some problems like my gamecube shutting off. Check your controllers, cause that was the problem with mine. My rabbit bit a hole in it and it shut off. Also check the cables and makes sure there are no frays. If that still doesn't work call 1 800 255 3700 (I carry it conveniently on my cell phone in case of ds break down:))

Top Bottom