• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oh dear... The impossible has happened ! WARNING SPOILERS (Smash 4 is hackable)

Hyped for this ?

• Total voters

Dhillz521

Smash Apprentice
Unless you get a black MIDI track that makes the game lag when you play it, I don't think there will be a problem. In Brawl, music choices were synchronized between consoles. If your console only played Go K.K. Rider on Smashville, while your opponent's played everything but Go K.K. Rider, one of you is going to see a track you don't care for. If you used custom music, it wouldn't break anything.

Smash 4 is a little different. Music choices are asynchronous, which means that someone who likes Go K.K. Rider and someone who doesn't like Go K.K. Rider can hear whatever songs they like on Smashville. The only way I could see music hacks possibly breaking online is if different amounts of system resources were devoted to music on each console. However, this didn't seem to be a problem in Brawl, and it's clearly not a problem with the default music in Sm4sh, so unless you're trying to break it I don't see there being a problem.
What's a Black MIDI?

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
There's that too, but that's not what @ Iceweasel Iceweasel meant by ZSS mods. There's some pretty lewd stuff out there.
Also stuff of characters like Ike and Captain Falcon. Especially Falcon. Half of which was probably done by someone who has never seen a healthy penis in their life So, how about them modded Mii Fighter costumes, huh?

As for mods like Project M, thousands of community members have been playing it and I can attest to its safety in concerns of your wii or wiiu. Its so safe because all the data comes from an SD card, instead of being stored directly in your wii.
Project M's official boot method uses the Smash Stack exploit (or something else, such as Letterbomb) to run the Project M loader, which softpatches compatible Brawl discs, and doesn't need to install itself to NAND. Project M itself uses the same IOS as Brawl, which is why it can't use SDHC cards. It is very much POSSIBLE to force Project M to run on a cIOS (which adds support for SDHC cards, and is required if you have the PAL Brawl, at least for now), but that's unsupported and can't be done with the official bootloader.

Can't wait until somebody makes a green and purple alt for Dr. Mario
custom headbands plox

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
What's a Black MIDI?
Black MIDI is when you use a MIDI creator program to make an unbelievably note-dense track, to the point where a human just can't play it. It's called "black MIDI" because when you put the notes on a musical staff, it looks like you took a magic marker to it. Black MIDI tracks are notoriously hard to run properly at full speed on most computers, with lagging, playback errors, and even computer crashes being pretty common on some of the record-setting and record-breaking tracks. And for some reason, black MIDI tracks are usually remixes of Touhou songs. Weird.

Here's an example. Song is Necrofantasia.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Even if hacking and modding can be in smash 4 it can be updated to stop hacking/modding. So, let's say in a few years a project m smash wiiu comes out. It might stop working because updates or patches.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Black MIDI is when you use a MIDI creator program to make an unbelievably note-dense track, to the point where a human just can't play it. It's called "black MIDI" because when you put the notes on a musical staff, it looks like you took a magic marker to it. Black MIDI tracks are notoriously hard to run properly at full speed on most computers, with lagging, playback errors, and even computer crashes being pretty common on some of the record-setting and record-breaking tracks. And for some reason, black MIDI tracks are usually remixes of Touhou songs. Weird.

Here's an example. Song is Necrofantasia.
It's moot anyway since Smash 4 uses recorded formats instead of MIDI IIRC

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
It's moot anyway since Smash 4 uses recorded formats instead of MIDI IIRC
I don't know the particulars of the BRSTM sound format. I only listed it as a way to break online because it was the only possible way I could see it breaking the game, even if it relied on the game using a music format that it might not.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Then the team will develop new exploits then.
True but it won't be as easy as before with brawl. Systems have updates often so they need to find exploits pretty often. Hacks could be a part of smash 4's future though if they somehow get around the "update" thing.

Dhillz521

Smash Apprentice
True but it won't be as easy as before with brawl. Systems have updates often so they need to find exploits pretty often. Hacks could be a part of smash 4's future though if they somehow get around the "update" thing.
Then that's just what they'll do.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
The question is that were you faking it?
Cause for some reason some people think its fake.
Hey, I never said I thought that video was fake. It looks like a modified 1.0.7, which is consistent with what we know about the current state of Wii U hacking.

Though while we're on the subject: @ Dantarion Dantarion , do you know of any way to hack the current version of Smash Bros.? Attempting to update to the latest version forces a system menu update. Some GBATemp posts from a few months ago implied that their NUS download tool had difficulties downloading and/or decrypting game update data, which writes off a manual install. Has anything changed since then? Do you know of any other ways to update Smash 4 while preserving the ability to run unlicensed code?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
My vids are all of 1.0.0, no update at all installed.
I'm working on a way to selectively update my WiiU, so I can update Smash without updating my WiiU. We are also working on an exploit for the current 5.4.0, but selectively updating is something nessesary, as without it, it will be a cat and mouse game with Nintendo

EDIT: above video is soneek's, hes one of the other guys messing around with SmashU

Last edited:

Dhillz521

Smash Apprentice
My vids are all of 1.0.0, no update at all installed.
I'm working on a way to selectively update my WiiU, so I can update Smash without updating my WiiU. We are also working on an exploit for the current 5.4.0, but selectively updating is something nessesary, as without it, it will be a cat and mouse game with Nintendo

EDIT: above video is soneek's, hes one of the other guys messing around with SmashU
Cool stuff man.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
And here's another video. It's still Chrom skinned Marth
Edit: I dunno what happened...

Last edited:

ME GRIMLOCH

Smash Cadet
NNID
MeGrimloch
I swear I saw the video with shadow over sonic and everything just a few days ago but now I can't find it. Removed maybe?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I swear I saw the video with shadow over sonic and everything just a few days ago but now I can't find it. Removed maybe?
So I didn't post the wrong video! It is possible to edit a video after it's uploaded, perhaps it was taken out?

D

Deleted member 269706

So I didn't post the wrong video! It is possible to edit a video after it's uploaded, perhaps it was taken out?
Yeah I'm pretty sure you are able to make edits to videos after they've been uploaded. I take it that's also what happened to the Ike (with a Chrom skin) footage as well? It's very likely that this user has a lot more up his sleeve and wants to keep as much hidden as possible.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
Could this potentially be used to modify Mii Fighters saved to the console? I'd love there to be a way to don the MMS outfit as a playable Mii.

Or, given that the outfit is in its own folders (miienemy(f/g/s) as opposed to miifighter/miigunner/miiswordsman), is this still not possible?

Sorry but that's just the encrypted read data of the amiibo's 4 bytes. Amiibo use a laughable 32 bit encryption, with their only security being a 7 try lockout (which only locks out their write access anyway). I released an app in the Google Play store a few months back, to "backup" an amiibo, and write copies to any NTAG 213,215 or 216. I started writing a kernel (based on CM) to do the same thing, which i may release later on. anyway if youre interested in doing it with your own amiibo, heres the app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nodroidnolife.amiibobackupandrestore&hl=am
Could this be used to 3D print functional 'custom' amiibo? Like, say, embedding the chip as it's being printed/making the base two parts that snap together to embed the tag and have your own truly custom amiibo figures? This could be awesome if it is, especially with Mii Fighters, since you'll likely want one that actually reflects the Mii stored on it.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Could this be used to 3D print functional 'custom' amiibo? Like, say, embedding the chip as it's being printed/making the base two parts that snap together to embed the tag and have your own truly custom amiibo figures? This could be awesome if it is, especially with Mii Fighters, since you'll likely want one that actually reflects the Mii stored on it.
Yes, in fact! You can buy blank NFC tags online, and certain Android phones can write data to them. I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is code for Sm4sh to handle Amiibos of every fighter (except maybe DLC fighters, I don't recall). It's also known that the part of the NFC tag that determines what character it is happens to be predictable. In other words, if you have a lot of time and don't know computer science, you can bruteforce a series with no Amiibos relatively easily (though it will be very time consuming), and you can quickly guess a character's identifier in a series that already has some.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
Oh, they didn't do something ridiculously easy to figure out like make that the character's internal number, did they? That would be so laughably easy to piece together and predict the DLC character values...

Edit: just to confirm, every fighter will have an amiibo, even DLC.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Oh, they didn't do something ridiculously easy to figure out like make that the character's internal number, did they? That would be so laughably easy to piece together and predict the DLC character values...

Edit: just to confirm, every fighter will have an amiibo, even DLC.
There's a lot of info in this /r/amiibo post. I don't care too much about Amiibos, so I just sort of skimmed it, but what I did read is kind of interesting. If you look at a certain part of the data on the NFC tag (page 21 and 22), you'll see eight bytes that determine what character from what series is on the Amiibo. The page 21 is mostly predictable (there are a few oddities and strange conventions, but it mostly checks out), yet the page 22 seems to be tied to the order the figures are manufactured in. I'm not sure what the point of this is. Maybe it has to do with the variants from other Amiibo series. For example, some of the Mario characters come in both Smash series and Mario series, with different poses. I don't have any Amiibos, nor an NFC reader, can someone confirm or deny this? What would happen if you used HCE to spoof an Amiibo tag with a correct page 21, but a bogus page 22?

https://www.reddit.com/r/amiibo/comments/38hwbm/nfc_character_identification_my_findings_on_the/

Last edited:

ME GRIMLOCH

Smash Cadet
NNID
MeGrimloch
Alright so I guess he didn't mean to put the shadow over sonic thing and all the other custom costume stuff in his last video or something but here it is now. It's mostly glitchy but it's a start.

Last edited:

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Alright so I guess he didn't mean to put the shadow over sonic thing and all the other custom costume stuff in his last video or something but here it is now. It's mostly glitchy but it's a start.
That Blaziken Falcon though. That would be sweet.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
The WiiU checks things about the NFC tag that you can't spoof without specialized hardware. Also, the places on the amiibo that say what character it is aren't writable.

What I am doing is reverse engineering all of the file formats, and using a hacked WiiU to test them to confirm changes.
Most recently, I made http://opensa.dantarion.com/s4/mastercore3/ showing all known changes in patches.

Now, I am working on getting modified files loading off SD, or over wifi.
Soneek has successfully done over wifi, but because of the internal archive format of S4, its a bit hard to do it the proper way.
The missing piece as far as I am concerned are breakpoints. Without those, I cannot debug things very well, so thats the main focus at the minute.

I want to make more vids, but I want to make vids when I have a completed PoC mod to show, and not just tests of poking aro und.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
The WiiU checks things about the NFC tag that you can't spoof without specialized hardware. Also, the places on the amiibo that say what character it is aren't writable.

What I am doing is reverse engineering all of the file formats, and using a hacked WiiU to test them to confirm changes.
Most recently, I made http://opensa.dantarion.com/s4/mastercore3/ showing all known changes in patches.

Now, I am working on getting modified files loading off SD, or over wifi.
Soneek has successfully done over wifi, but because of the internal archive format of S4, its a bit hard to do it the proper way.
The missing piece as far as I am concerned are breakpoints. Without those, I cannot debug things very well, so thats the main focus at the minute.

I want to make more vids, but I want to make vids when I have a completed PoC mod to show, and not just tests of poking aro und.
Thanks for the information, status update, and work on the Wii U homebrew scene. Just thanks in general, man, and good luck!

Top Bottom