• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Zelda Moveset (NEW MOVE!** MAGMA BEAT CONFIRMED!)

Downdraft

Smash Ace
I guess that's true. I still feel that it will force a lot of pressure on opponents, though.
The shorter startup and duration of Farore's Wind is the only substantial buff that I've noticed.
We have seen little footage of Zelda in the Smash 4 environment.
Any footage that we do see will be at a casual level.

I'm not writing her off in the next game, but Sakurai has given Zelda fans no reasons to trust him.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
The shorter startup and duration of Farore's Wind is the only substantial buff that I've noticed.
We have seen little footage of Zelda in the Smash 4 environment.
Any footage that we do see will be at a casual level.

I'm not writing her off in the next game, but Sakurai has given Zelda fans no reasons to trust him.
Well, I'll be playing it at my local Best Buy (I went last year for Mario Kart 8) and I'm a veteran Zelda player, so I'll get as much footage as I can (if she's playable, which now that she's stand alone, I don't see why she wouldn't be)

I guess that's true. I still feel that it will force a lot of pressure on opponents, though.
I do too. If you power shield, the phantom has two hits: Zelda can force them into a roll or apply pressure. You're exactly right.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Well, I'll be playing it at my local Best Buy (I went last year for Mario Kart 8) and I'm a veteran Zelda player, so I'll get as much footage as I can (if she's playable, which now that she's stand alone, I don't see why she wouldn't be)

I do too. If you power shield, the phantom has two hits: Zelda can force them into a roll or apply pressure. You're exactly right.
I'll be going to a Best Buy too. I'm so excited that we all get the opportunity to demo it.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
I was initially excited about Best Buy, but then I read a comment where someone recalled waiting 3 hours to play Mario Kart 8 last summer.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Consider you lucky, guys, you have the opportunity to try it before launch!

Get as many informations on Zelda as you can! I especially wanna know if the lighting kicks are deadly again, or if they are a pain to connect properly like in Brawl.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
When they release a list of locations, then I'll consider it.
The 3DS version is due this Summer, and there are so many things I could do to pass the time that the wait won't get to me.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Well, I'm sure we'll see the tournament players play all the characters. I would surely hope all characters so far would be playable.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Well, I'm sure we'll see the tournament players play all the characters. I would surely hope all characters so far would be playable.
We'll probably get Zelda as playable since I bet they're gonna give us the starters/most veterans in the demo, but idk if she'll get picked in the tourni :/ If they only pick top players from Melee/Brawl, they'd be more used to their top tiers...and we all know how well popular she is in those games aha

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
We'll probably get Zelda as playable since I bet they're gonna give us the starters/most veterans in the demo, but idk if she'll get picked in the tourni :/ If they only pick top players from Melee/Brawl, they'd be more used to their top tiers...and we all know how well popular she is in those games aha
Right, but in Project M, which is what more tournament players are playing (I'm guessing), Zelda is pretty high. I mean, look up Zhime. He was in the grand finals against Mew 2 King.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
That's true, but that's with Project M. I'm sure we would all like Smash 4 to be as balanced as PM, but it's probably not gonna happen. We're pretty certain Zelda is getting more buffs with her separation, but it'll likely be in the wrong places...look at Brawl. She got buffs there, but even in Brawl tiers she struggles; correct me if I'm wrong, but Nintendo just doesn't know how to balance characters at a competitive level like PMBR. (not meaning to put Nintendo down or anything...it's just not their job or intention to build the game in that way, nor do they have as much experience following the competitive scene to understand what things influence metagame development) Idk if her buffs from Brawl Zelda will mean enough for the chosen top players to swap from the veteran mains they already know so well.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
That's true, but that's with Project M. I'm sure we would all like Smash 4 to be as balanced as PM, but it's probably not gonna happen. We're pretty certain Zelda is getting more buffs with her separation, but it'll likely be in the wrong places...look at Brawl. She got buffs there, but even in Brawl tiers she struggles; correct me if I'm wrong, but Nintendo just doesn't know how to balance characters at a competitive level like PMBR. (not meaning to put Nintendo down or anything...it's just not their job or intention to build the game in that way, nor do they have as much experience following the competitive scene to understand what things influence metagame development) Idk if her buffs from Brawl Zelda will mean enough for the chosen top players to swap from the veteran mains they already know so well.
I'm thinking the players will have access to the demo beforehand so they cam practice. That's just my thought.

With Namco helping out, I feel almost certain the game will be balanced. I mean, it's stressed LM is very balanced, I'm sure they're going to visit all fighters one by one and see what they need. I just think she needs more one hit moves. I sincerely hope her UP Smash was changed. Looks like her fsmash might be one hit.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I am just continuing to ponder the phantom in the air. (you know, baseless speculation)

But it would be really cool if it either dropped straight down and had a spike property or if it went forward and she... held on to its back? or something. I suppose she doesn't really need the recovery option, but I would be amused. And a ranged spike (like mega mans d-air) would just be tons of fun.

It will probably just fly straight forward like on the ground though (or maybe at a diagonal angle till it touches the ground). It doesn't really look like it needs the ground below it during its dash to me.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I am just continuing to ponder the phantom in the air. (you know, baseless speculation)

But it would be really cool if it either dropped straight down and had a spike property or if it went forward and she... held on to its back? or something. I suppose she doesn't really need the recovery option, but I would be amused. And a ranged spike (like mega mans d-air) would just be tons of fun.

It will probably just fly straight forward like on the ground though (or maybe at a diagonal angle till it touches the ground). It doesn't really look like it needs the ground below it during its dash to me.
You're right, it'll probably just fly straight through the air, just like on the ground. I'm thinking her forward B is going to possibly have spike properties.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I'm thinking her forward B is going to possibly have spike properties.
I'm sorry, but I am certain that Sakurai just worded it badly, so I am at least not holding my breath on the idea.

I like the idea of it going down like a meteor attack. :p Maybe it could go diagonal. (like Sheik's needles) That could be nifty. But yeah, straight seems more likely.

I'm just worried that it will have special fall in the air, or worse... like, it can't even be used while airborne or something... > , >

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but I am certain that Sakurai just worded it badly, so I am at least not holding my breath on the idea.
It probably wouldn't have act in the same way as a normal spike/meteor. I haven't seen/heard about this, but if it's true, I'd imagine it'll resemble the Diddy Up-B spike.

EDIT: just considered that spiking projectiles seem a bit OP. But considering the way Pika's Down-B works now (thundercloud hitbox spikes), I wouldn't be too surprised; they're both hard to land:
  • at mid-long distance, they're fairly easy to prepare for and avoid.
  • at close distance, D-air would likely be a better option. (you could get the Din spike off fairly easily against Up-Bs that would otherwise hit Zelda if she was going for a spike, but it would be pretty darn weak at low-mid %s, and still probably wouldn't pose too much of an issue to characters with good vertical recoveries at high %s)

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Here's a copy paste of the info I found from that video.

So, VGBootcamp put up 3DS video showing 90% of Zelda's moveset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2p-EyKKiAo

I've already examined it and discovered firstly, that weird varying damage doesn't seem to be in it, and most things are pretty much identical to the Wii U. (Take note that the 3DS version is likely farther in development.)

Here's what I got:

Jab: Does 6% in 3 hits. (It seems to be identical to Brawl.)

Ftilt: It only hit once, and it did 12% (At around her forearm. If it means anything.) I'm also quite confident it now only uses Sakurai angles. No hitting backwards anymore.

Dtilt: It did 4\5%. Strangely enough, this ONE move acted like it had the weird varying damage thing, but no other moves did. It can also be seen ONLY hitting at around 80 degrees. I bet this was done to limit its Brawl locking potential.

Utilt: It did 5% and hit straight up. (Only the front side hit was shown.) It also had crazy good IASA. AKA it ends very fast after the swipe.

Fsmash/Dsmash: They were only shown charged up, so we don't know their percents. They use the same hit angles as before.

Usmash: Apparently, it does 8 hits (IDK if it does in the WiiU too, though.) They did 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 5 = 17% still hits straight up.

NAir: Her hand's multi-hits do 1% each, and the center of her does 2% per hit. The final hit did 3%. (Doing a total at one point of 11% in 5 hits.) It hit away at 45 degrees in the air. (Likely still a Sakurai angle.)

FAir/BAir: the sourspot did 4% and the sweetspot did 20%. (Sakurai angled) The sweetspot still LOOKED rather hard to land, but one can hope it was just errors.

DAir: Upper sourspot did 5%, lower one did 4%, and the sweetspot did 16%. The sweetspot could hit grounded opponents in this one too, thank goodness.

UAir: It did 15% and hit straight up. It also looked to still be as powerful as Brawl. I wonder what was up with the WiiU version then, which looked weaker...

Nayru's Love: It did 4 hits, doing 11% (2, 2, 2, 5) and the last hit bopped the sandbag away at a 45 degree angle. (Again, expect a Sakurai angle.)
YOU CAN STILL B REVERSE TOO!

Din's Fire: See my previous post. (My data dump on WiiU Zelda.) It's no different from the WiiU version so it seems.

Farore's Wind: The disappearing hit did 6% and hit near straight up. (with okay KB.) The reappearig hit did 10% once, and 12% the next time. (Slightly closer to the center of Zelda this time.) It had pretty large KB too.

Phantom Slash: Expect the same as the WiiU version, mostly. Though, the fully charged lunging hit did 12% instead of 11%.

We didn't really get to see her grabs in action, unfortunately. But we did get a lot from this video!

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I just read through this:

Zelda: In Brawl, Zelda wasn't considered a particularly strong character. Unfortunately, I don't think much has changed; she feels a bit weak compared to the other characters. Zelda even appears to have lost some power in the transition to Smash Wii U. Zelda's Smashes are weaker overall and have less shield stun and priority, and her trademark kicks are less punishing than before. She has a new down B that is very unexplored, and her ground game is quite different. With time, experienced players may be able to find new strategies and unlock her hidden potential. But when I used her, I really struggled, and many others did as well.
Source: http://smashboards.com/threads/from-brawl-to-super-smash-brothers-wii-u-the-differences.358932/

I must say, I am rather dismayed to learn that Zelda has been weakened. I could tell just by watching the videos that her upward tilt has been nerfed. And that was mine favourite kill move... Hopefully things will be different in the finished project.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Zelda may not have been buffed enough, but I think most of us agree that she was most certainly not nerfed.

Has anyone else noticed that at 2:00, the purple phantom effect stays on her hand for too long? It stays until 2:07, despite the phantom being out of play almost instantly.

Am I just confused here? I've not noticed it do this in other videos.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
You're probably right.

I just thought about how awesome it would be if it gave her a buff to her next arm attack.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Zelda may not have been buffed enough, but I think most of us agree that she was most certainly not nerfed.

Has anyone else noticed that at 2:00, the purple phantom effect stays on her hand for too long? It stays until 2:07, despite the phantom being out of play almost instantly.

Am I just confused here? I've not noticed it do this in other videos.
It's supposed to be an indicator letting the players know Zelda can't cast the Phantom again until it stops. I think in the demo, however, it lasts too long and they haven't fine tuned it.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
WHAT'S THIS I HEAR!? "MAGMA BEAT" in the title?

Explain.

EDIT: nvm, just Dthrow.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I was expecting an alt. Din's custom myself, and couldn't find it when I brushed through the main post.

Then I found it later... In the throws... xD

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Magma Beat sounded so hype. I rushed over here for some new confirmed Din tech aha... xD the disappointment hurts so bad

I was expecting an alt. Din's custom myself, and couldn't find it when I brushed through the main post.

Then I found it later... In the throws... xD
I'm sorry guys! Her down throw is fire now instead of electricity. So I just wanted to update the thread. I'm going to find a video of it when I can.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I'm sorry guys! Her down throw is fire now instead of electricity. So I just wanted to update the thread. I'm going to find a video of it when I can.
Oh, that's interesting at least. I was about to comment on how the name was a little weird given that it involved electricity aha. Not sure how I feel about the change...I liked the shock animation. Magma beating down on them sounds a little weird. Awaiting vids~

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I will say that it being fire looks really awesome. I'm inclined to ask for that visual change for P:M now...

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
used it a couple times, 1:30 firstly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCO3kK80-Ik

I don't see it very well lol. It still seems electric but maybe not.
Was that her up-taunt at the end...what did they do to my precious up-taunt... ; ^;

But on topic, I pretty clearly see din-like fire animations by her legs. Maybe I can't see it because I'm on my phone, but I don't see any electricity like you're saying lol

Top Bottom