• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Yoshi discussion!!!

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
I NEVER predicted this as a FS for yoshi, but I am very glad to see this instead of the lame yoshi stampede. Super Mario World is one of my favorite games, and having this reference to it is fantastic!

The only thing that worries me is that it may not be as powerful as other character's Finals. I assume Bowser breathes fire as just a special attack again in brawl, and that is by no means final smash-like, so lets hope that when Yoshi breathes his fire, he does way more damage than bowser's fire.

Also, I really love these moves that are actually featured from the characters' past games. Lets hope for more of these!

Also, on a side note, I am really curious to see how yoshi's egg toss can now help as a recovery! And i hope its not just him stalling in the air for a moment when he throws the eggs...

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't recall yoshi EVER spiting out fire for an attack. It's like sakurai is just making up whatever he wants. At this rate, any character COULD be in, and they COULD be the cheapest and the strongest....I fear igglypuff (or whatever the de-evolved form of jigglypuff is) will get into the game and be the most powerful foe ever.
can do:

play super mario world.... yoshi eats read shells he spits fire balls

blue shells he grows wings and flies

yellow shells he creates a dust cloud that kills enemies around him

eating a "star shell" or the shells that flash all colors gives yoshi all these abilities

Hejiru

Smash Ace
I bet if he lands, it causes a small earthquake. That's the only power they didn't include.

Red Shell/Yoshi= Fire Breathing

Blue Shell/Yoshi= Flying

Yellow Shell/Yoshi= Jumping causes earthquakes.

That's awesome they decided to use Super Mario World. I thought it would be a Yoshi Stampede or something along those lines.

secretweapon

Smash Apprentice
This was definently a surprise for yoshi. I wouldn't say that this is "better" than the stampede because it looks a bit difficult to attack others and it also doesnt seem extremely effective. It also looks like yoshi stole pits wings...how many ppl r gonna take a snapshot of them together in flight?

Done with criticizing, this is one wicked update. I cant wait to try this out and chase around others while breathing fire. Yoshi is freakin awesome, always has, always will be.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yoshi's Final Smash may probably not be the strongest, but to me, it's by far the BEST one yet. I'm really glad they used this instead of the lame Stampede idea.

Actually, next to Yoshi, Pit was gonna be my main character if he'll be agile enough, because of his wings (yeah I like wings). Now that I've seen Yoshi sprout some wings of his own, it just got 100 times better! I wonder how much damage the fireballs will do though, seen the size of them, they'll probably do pack a punch, nothing like Bowser's flame. Yoshi has really proven worthy of the title Super Dragon with this!

Chepe

Smash Lord
In Super Mario World, Yoshi signs a letter to Mario with:

- Super Dragon Yoshi *pawprint*

So yes, he was conceptualized to be dragonesque from the start. And I am very surprised at so much ignorance regarding Yoshi using Fire. Why, not only in SMW, but also in Yoshi's Island (both 1 and 2) and Super Mario 64 DS does he have fire breathing powerups...

And I love this final smash for my main Yoshi. A lot more intuitive and fun than a friggin Yoshi stampede or giant explosive egg...

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
In Super Mario World, Yoshi signs a letter to Mario with:

- Super Dragon Yoshi *pawprint*

So yes, he was conceptualized to be dragonesque from the start. And I am very surprised at so much ignorance regarding Yoshi using Fire. Why, not only in SMW, but also in Yoshi's Island (both 1 and 2) and Super Mario 64 DS he has fire breathing powerups...

And I love this final smash for my main Yoshi. A lot more intuitive and fun than a friggin Yoshi stampede or giant explosive egg...
QFT

I've always been one of the stubborn ones that saw Yoshi as more of a dragon than dinosaur. His awesome FS more than makes up for using the humanoid Yoshi instead of raptor Yoshi :)

Chepe

Smash Lord
But you know, recent screenshots of Yoshi really make him look like the original one, I have noticed... I mean, look at the Stickers update and look at the length of that tail! Not as stubby or humanesque as his profile pic has us believe. And since he still runs like he does in Melee...

I dont think anyone can call Yoshi's design one or the other anymore. It really is a mix of them...

SonicMario

Smash Master
You know, if someone can photoshop that Yoshi with the Wings & almost gone pupils from the picture. It could be a very good "Yoshi-user" sig! Anyone agree?

Star105

Smash Journeyman
this is a Awesome final smash since ive played Super Mario World the most out of all my SNES games (i still haven't got 96* secrets) and know where the fireball and wings come from.............

oh yeah i doubt that when yoshi lands he will cause a earthquake but this looks very fun to use.

jambre

Smash Apprentice

Look at yoshi in this picture, it looks to me like metaknight has hit him with some move (or maybe kirby's cutter) but is not flinching or in his 2nd jump, does this confirm on flinching moves for yoshi? he doesnt appear to be doing any specific moves though

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Sigh. The fact that Yoshi cannot DJC but Peach can still Float cancel angers me. He didn't need to tone Yoshi down. I just hope he can still edge cancel eggs.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Okay, so I have two questions:

1) Is this Yoshi's n-air or jab? Because everyone I know is freaking out because they think it's the n-air.

In this video at 0:47 it shows the huge foot, but I can't tell if it was a jab or not, since Yoshi WAS knocked back right before he threw the foot out, but being such low %, perhaps it was more of a slide back?

Someone from E for All, or anyone with a better vid, PLEASE clarify this for me D:

Edit: I think it might BE the n-air, after having just watched this video, at 0:48

Oh, and the second question

2) I think you can still ECE, but instead of jumping, you just do the up-b after dropping from the ledge. I'd be willing to bet that's why they made Yoshi's up-b work like that. I mean, it looks like roughly the same height a normal ECE would need to be. It's probably hard to do it without also jumping, but it's possible (at least on the GCN controller). Whoops, not really a question.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace

1) Is this Yoshi's n-air or jab? Because everyone I know is freaking out because they think it's the n-air.

In this video at 0:47 it shows the huge foot, but I can't tell if it was a jab or not, since Yoshi WAS knocked back right before he threw the foot out, but being such low %, perhaps it was more of a slide back?

Someone from E for All, or anyone with a better vid, PLEASE clarify this for me D:

Edit: I think it might BE the n-air, after having just watched this video, at 0:48

2) I think you can still ECE, but instead of jumping, you just do the up-b after dropping from the ledge. I'd be willing to bet that's why they made Yoshi's up-b work like that. I mean, it looks like roughly the same height a normal ECE would need to be. It's probably hard to do it without also jumping, but it's possible (at least on the GCN controller). Whoops, not really a question.
That's the nair: smash balls aren't in the ground...

Anyway: yoshi is doubled in range: freaking dangerous

YoshiBurn

Smash Rookie
Yoshi have been my favorite character in the previous games,
and now it looks like hes moves are even faster and beter! :D
he will still be my favorite!

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie

As for number 2 there, I'm not sure that ECEs will be doable any more. According to Gimpyfish, "you can’t actually drop from the ledge by pressing down anymore." Maybe tapping away from the ledge would allow you to freefall though.

Honestly, I hope that he'll get some good advantages we haven't seen yet. He's lost DJC, and everyone can now instant edge grab (hug), so much of the little he had going for him in melee has been taken away.

I enjoy playing as a character that's not in the top tiers since it places me as original. However, I do hope that Yoshi makes it around the top of the mid tier. We've had enough to deal with and I think it is time Yoshi got a bit of a boost.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I still hate it how The eggs of different color yoshis will always be green instead of bleding with their color

Yoshi Jiggler

Smash Rookie
I'm honestly kind of too lazy to read this whole thread... So, does Yoshi's Up-B actually help with recovery now?

Ospov

Smash Rookie
On the Smash Bros website they said that Yoshi's "new up b" would be a recovery move. I can't remember exactly what they said (there weren't many details) and I'm too lazy to go there, copy & paste.

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
The egg has minor recovery potential. It basically goes about as high as Mario's cape. You can do it repeatedly and get the boost each time, though. It something. Though since Yoshi loses the airdodge recovery (airdodges no longer move you, they just let you avoid damage while you go the same direction you were originally going), this is basically just making up for that. Its really not an improvement at all, in the long run.

As for controlling the B... you mean, like shooting it up, like in Yoshi's Island? That'd be nice, though kinda hard to pull off.

I agree that they should make the eggs change color with the color Yoshi you're using. It'd be a nice touch.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
I just hope this doesn't ruin a lot of statigies. If it is now a recovery move, it means he can't throw an egg and then jump right away. This would make him a heavy character.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's up B seems to do little to no lift in Brawl still. At least it IS something, but really.. it seems real desperate/pathetic. I guess I would have liked to see his up B be (>_>)... more like in the Yoshi games where if you hold your jump long enough Yoshi will start to look like he's struggling to stay afloat. I hope someo f you know what I mean O_O. Well, I dunno. It'd be nice if they played with that instead of an up B that seems like a stall more than anything. BUT the game isn't out yet so =X

Top Bottom