• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official STB Thread!

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
I don't know if anyone knows or cares, or will even see this page Saturday morning, but Saturday is definitely on for us. I don't work, so I should be good for at least a couple of hours. I've been dying to play some Smash lately, working on my car is pretty exhausting.

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
Hey G-mo do you want to come over sometime tomorrow and smash it up before school starts? I think my phone number is still the same.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
I wish I could, friend, but my car is currently out of commission.

So how did Coty's tourney go? Did Sean end up going?

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Sean and Butters did not go.

Tourney was small. There were only six people, but stupid CHUK and Dan didn't come :[

Everyone (except me) left at around 3:45.

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
If I have a ride I'll come to the next weekly for sure. I need to improve my Falcon more. And I wanna hang out with you guys too, of course.

Anyways, G-Mo once your car is fixed drop me a call and stop on by. We can smash for a few hours.

ABIDE

Smash Apprentice
I say we have another tourney this saturday. Last weeks was good stuff.

fark

Smash Apprentice
so on my list of who to beat...
brian
aj
then i will have beaten stb atleast once.
and no offense tai but you jynx man haha
i really think that four stock (atleast 3) on g-mos falcon was in my grasp
until you said something
then he won
talk about a comback
very upseting

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
2 dollar entry? ummm....? Sucker free saturdays!

* I'm at school right now. I think my teacher is high on meds....no Johns though

fark

Smash Apprentice
My Falcon is too good for you. I was just getting warmed up. ;)
what do kids say um no bills, uh no thats not it , no franks, no davids, no erics, no alans,... oh wait its no johns thats it, no johns.whether you were warming up not, it was in my grasp

ABIDE

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm 2 bucks isn't bad. We can have a team tourney too. TCB needs practice in that area....

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
so on my list of who to beat...
brian
aj
then i will have beaten stb atleast once.
and no offense tai but you jynx man haha
i really think that four stock (atleast 3) on g-mos falcon was in my grasp
until you said something
then he won
talk about a comback
very upseting
Nick, I know I'm a Jynx.

I jynxed G-Mo beating Light, and I jynxed Light 4-stocking some random Falco.

I was actually considering making that my tag haha.

I've beaten everyone in STB at least one time somewhere down the line (except Omar), but one victory, or even a set victory doesn't mean anything at all. Jake managed to beat Sean once, but does that mean Jake is a top professional? Of course not. Judging someone's skill relative to yours requires several sets against many different people in many different matchups.

p.s.

Oscar: Tell your teacher to stop being a ***** and man up!

Also, anyone wanna team on Saturday?

Single Marth/Fox looking for some love XD

Yoko the wolf

Smash Cadet
For future reference my name is spelled with a Y, and also I agree with teams. Bears Eat Beets will have to man up and show how it's done. Sadly, I do not remember Tai ever beating me, but I could care less on that. I'm more of a team player now, so Oscar I hope you're ready.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Oscar, does this mean you have your intranets again?

Also, I'm dangerously close to fixing my car.

More also, I'm retiring from doubles.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
For future reference my name is spelled with a Y, and also I agree with teams. Bears Eat Beets will have to man up and show how it's done. Sadly, I do not remember Tai ever beating me, but I could care less on that. I'm more of a team player now, so Oscar I hope you're ready.
Beat your Pikachu :laugh:

Yoko the wolf

Smash Cadet
Nope, nothing comes to mind on it. But I guess the past doesn't matter. Maybe back then, but now is something different. Though I am no AXE.
G-Mo, you cannot retire from doubles. We have yet to team in awhile and I would hate for it to end like that. I'm more into doubles because I find it more exhilarating. So, I implore you to not retire yet from them.

-Ka-

Smash Journeyman
Nick, I know I'm a Jynx.

Jake managed to beat Sean once, but does that mean Jake is a top professional? Of course not. Judging someone's skill relative to yours requires several sets against many different people in many different matchups.

Now just hold the phone there, Tuggeroo.

While I may agree that consistency is a valid (but not the ONLY) method of judging someone's overall skill, ability and expertise, its terrible on your behalf to use an example such as me (technically) 4-stocking a proven, respected top player.

(echoed) AND HERE'S WHY!!!!

(drum roll)

(Fat Japanese geishas sing "BELIEVE" in Italian)

In any other sport, doing the equivalent of what Forward did in the match (after being down by 2 stock, ripping out his controller and fore fitting) would be considered a very negative thing. Of course it was no championship match or even a tourney match, it was just a single that meant nothing.

But what does it say about my overall ability? That all I have to do is rest Sean twice and he'll just give up? No, it says nothing about my playing ability. Sean decided to end, to take away what could have been a very good match. I'll never know if I could have beat him legitimately.

So I don't consider that match a "real" win in most senses. He took that "real" win away from me by quitting. If he had stuck around and not chumped out I probably would be all over you with things like, "I beat Forward fair and square, AINT NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!" or "OFCOURSE IMA GR8 PLAYA I BEAT TEH BEST IN STATE!"

But your point is that beating someone once doesn't mean you are great. I somewhat agree and disagree.

Think about this, Tugs. If this Saturday you go on to play Yoko and barely beat him in a match its a VERY different story if you 4-stock him.

No offense, Tyreese, but if that 4-stock DID happen it would mean 1 of 2 things:

Yoko's on drugs OR
You got better.

Pokey had a sudden burst of momentum this past weekend and 3-stocked my puff. And I have to say, I wasn't on drugs.

In conclusion, don't use my semi 4-stock of Forward as an example of ANYTHING!

Oh yeah, "EYE TWO STOCKED LIGHT< B&TCH!"

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Yoko's on drugs OR
You got better.

Or I could have gotten lucky. It wouldn't have been either of those if, I don't know, say, what if I was using Peach and pulled like, 50 stitchfaces? Very very unlikely, I know, but if it DID happen, does it mean I got better? NO! I got a win because I get lucky with complete stupid bull****. Maybe Bryan was on drugs though, and he just thinks I pulled a bunch of stitchfaces :psycho: What if every (and I mean EVERY) single time I try to recover, the cloud on YS saves me? Huh? That can reduce Bryan's kill rate by A LOT, and can end in me beating him.

Also, about that thing about you 2-stocking Light...

I believe it was a stupid counterpick, and I also believe he went back to 3-stocking you consistently basically every other time he killed you after that.

Also, about you saying Pokey's being able to 3-stock you now.. well, that doesn't surprise me. He plays you a lot and no offense or anything, but I think he's better at adjusting to things than you are.

btw, I stand by my you v Sean example. If you DID get a 4 or even a 3 stock on him, I know that you were not top professional level. If you beat him, it would have simply been an upset, or a match where the outcome was very far from suspected.

-Ka-

Smash Journeyman
Or I could have gotten lucky. It wouldn't have been either of those if, I don't know, say, what if I was using Peach and pulled like, 50 stitchfaces? Very very unlikely, I know, but if it DID happen, does it mean I got better? NO! I got a win because I get lucky with complete stupid bull****. Maybe Bryan was on drugs though, and he just thinks I pulled a bunch of stitchfaces :psycho: What if every (and I mean EVERY) single time I try to recover, the cloud on YS saves me? Huh? That can reduce Bryan's kill rate by A LOT, and can end in me beating him.

Also, about that thing about you 2-stocking Light...

I believe it was a stupid counterpick, and I also believe he went back to 3-stocking you consistently basically every other time he killed you after that.

Also, about you saying Pokey's being able to 3-stock you now.. well, that doesn't surprise me. He plays you a lot and no offense or anything, but I think he's better at adjusting to things than you are.

btw, I stand by my you v Sean example. If you DID get a 4 or even a 3 stock on him, I know that you were not top professional level. If you beat him, it would have simply been an upset, or a match where the outcome was very far from suspected.

Tugleebery, you went WAY over the top with that response and insulted all competitive players of this game.

HERE'S HOW!

(pixie dust falls)

Saying that achieving a 4-stock is possible simply by luck AND against a great competitor such as Brian, or anyone from STB, is RIDICULOUS and INSULTING.

The level of play that competitive players have taken this game to has left little to no room for "luck".

The absolute fair levels and rules have been established. I'd say the only controversial (and always will be) subject in melee is wobbling. But thats has nothing to do with what you were rambling about.

You wanna try and suicide Yoko for a 4 stock and get mysteriously saved by the cloud every time? Go ahead. I'll forever stop calling you Tugly or anything related to if that were to happen. But it never would.

Why?

Luck has nothing to do with getting 4-stocked, Tuglebee. People just don't get 4-stocked for no reason. Credit must go to the giver's party for being skilled enough to play that well, EVEN IF it was just for one single round. AND EVEN IF said player is the worst player of the bunch. You should feel happy about that last bit, Tai-Pod.

In short, you'll never be good at this game if you're waiting for the day to magically, consistently beat another player and have the cloud save you every time.

You'r misguided, Tuglina. And your response had more faulty, incomprehensible "what if" examples.

Anything else?

Ah, right. You can make all the excuses for Light that you want. He still got two stocked. A two stock is a two stock, and so forth.

Same goes for Pokey.

And I'm not going to explain why you should just give up about Sean again. Re-read the last post, Tugcherrypie.

Try making a goal for yourself and 4-stock someone and then maybe you'll understand what the hell I'm talking about.

Until then just keep relying on that cloud.

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
How about this. Tai, when you start winning consistently and understand how to win, then you talk to me about skill. KA makes his points clearer and more logical. ( Tai gets VAT-stocked in argument) ****! Till next time!!

-Ka-

Smash Journeyman
Another point (but great one) for the ongoing SUPERMAN VS BATMAN controversy.

Here's a quote from one of my favorite and highly recommended films, 'Kill Bill Vol. 2'

"An essential characteristic of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero, and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When he wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic that Superman stands alone. Superman did not become Superman, Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears, the glasses, the business suit, that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us."
-Bill

The reason the character Bill makes this point in the movie is to demonstrate that you can't change who you are and what you were born to be.

And what a perfect way to express it. I contribute this quote to the ongoing argument by asking if the Batman fanboys (Pokey, Steve) can NOW understand the genius of the Superman concept and why he will ALWAYS win the fight if he had to.

Its not a popularity contest. You want help saving the world? You call Superman.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion

Here's a quote from one of my favorite and highly recommended films, 'Kill Bill Vol. 2'

"An essential characteristic of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero, and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When he wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic that Superman stands alone. Superman did not become Superman, Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears, the glasses, the business suit, that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us."
-Bill

The reason the character Bill makes this point in the movie is to demonstrate that you can't change who you are and what you were born to be.

And what a perfect way to express it. I contribute this quote to the ongoing argument by asking if the Batman fanboys (Pokey, Steve) can NOW understand the genius of the Superman concept and why he will ALWAYS win the fight if he had to.

Its not a popularity contest. You want help saving the world? You call Superman.
Who is this guy? >_>

ABIDE

Smash Apprentice

-Bill

You went from arguing with Tugly to going back to the Batman vs. Superman argument?

Superman would beat Batman.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Since when the hell did I say that the ONLY way to 4-stock someone was luck?

I simply said that it's hypothetically possible to 4-stock someone that you normally cannot under normal conditions if you get ridiculous good luck.

Top Bottom