• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Mii Swordfighter

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
@ Trela Trela Not to giving you too much attention but I will like your opinion on this subject. What custom set do you use? What custom set is best for Swordfighter overall?

We have one more day to finalize our choice before this is locked. Let's make everything is beneficial for everyone.

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
I am, incidentally, curious if the extra damage from standard weight would be beneficial or not in spite of the speed difference. On paper it may not be, but the papers are on fire in the trash bin after that tourney win.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I am, incidentally, curious if the extra damage from standard weight would be beneficial or not in spite of the speed difference. On paper it may not be, but the papers are on fire in the trash bin after that tourney win.
Ehhh Trela had to use default iirc so who knows how well he would do with a thin Mii

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Hmm... the "extra damage" is not noticeable nor make a big difference. If you saw the Mii Analysis Thread, the difference is 1 -2% while the speed and jump height is a more noticeable change. If you want a comparison between Short vs Default - it will be Mobility vs Range not Speed vs Damage.

Trela

Smash Lord
I honestly do not believe any other type of Mii Fighter should be legal but the default height and weight, just as the guest Miis in the Mii Maker are given to you when you go to set up each Mii Fighter. The logistics behind creating your own Mii Fighter that's not the default height and/or weight or even just transferring your custom Mii to a set-up is something that shouldn't be allowed, in my opinion. This is something my city has always done with their rulesets, and to my knowledge, Dallas as well. Funny that I mention this, though. I actually got away with transferring my young pirate Trela onto each set-up I played at during my last tournament, and while it's not the most time-consuming process in the world, it's so much simpler to just pick a default Mii Swordfighter from the CSS that was set up before the tournament itself. It helped that I was the only Mii Fighter player there, of course, and that's why I think I got away with it. I'll discuss this subject with my fellow TOs in the near future.

I'm not sure how EVO's going to go about these Miis, but if you tell them that certain custom moveslots actually have different Miis with specific heights and/or weights besides the normal, they would have to go into Mii Maker on a 3DS and set it all up from there, then transfer said Miis onto each WiiU. I know, SO DIFFICULT, right? Just depends on how they want to handle this situation. I haven't been keeping up with this whole Custom Moveset Project any, as I will not be attending EVO, so I don't even know what kind of Mii Swordfighter you guys think is best anyway. I have never tested my Mii Swordfighter with different attributes to his appearance, only the default settings.

As for which MOVES should be set up for him/her, other than 1111, the only combination I've played around with before is 2122. Shuriken of Light is a great disruption tool with its speed compared to Gale Strike, and I can tell it can come in handy in certain match-ups where your Gale Strike is just too slow to work with. Airborne Assault has always come off to me as better than Slash Launcher, with is INSANE momentum push that it can give you, making it a great recovery option. I don't know why you would use Chakram over this when his recovery isn't the best in the first place. Skyward Slash Dash is another effort to make his recovery better, as it can be controlled and is actually a bit reminiscent of Mii Brawler's Piston Punch in that it can get you some KOs, albeit no where near as early as Piston Punch can. Reversal Slash is most certainly a great asset to use in certain match-ups as well, whether it be just to reflect projectiles or to help get those surprise early KOs when you flip their recovery around into the opposite direction. Blade Counter is the safer option otherwise, and can also get early KOs when timed correctly on a strong move that's coming your way. Power Thrust doesn't offer what these two moves do, which is why I never used it.

Whew, that was a pretty long post! Hope I helped my fellow Swordfighters any. Some players believe that I only used him last weekend as a means to troll others, but I mean it when I say I tried my hardest to win with him. I will eventually bring him out in a tournament again, but for now it's back to Robin for me.

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
While Assault or Launcher are great for recovery, Chakram's greatest utility that I've found is that, when the close-range version hits and pushes back, it can be followed up with a grab very easily. In fact, it can even trip too, sometimes. Either way, you could also possibly follow it up with an Fsmash depending on your sword length.

I can understand using Assault for an effective recovery option other than "low, ledgegrab", however. I've always SD'd when trying to use it, though.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I'm not sure if you caught this part, but when we update the moveset project for EVO sets, we're also going to release QR Codes for Miis of optimized height and weight settings(one for each individual Mii Fighter), so they can have a "standard" that isn't default height/weight to work with in customs legal tournaments. It's quite an effective fix for the situation, I'd say.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I honestly do not believe any other type of Mii Fighter should be legal but the default height and weight, just as the guest Miis in the Mii Maker are given to you when you go to set up each Mii Fighter. The logistics behind creating your own Mii Fighter that's not the default height and/or weight or even just transferring your custom Mii to a set-up is something that shouldn't be allowed, in my opinion. This is something my city has always done with their rulesets, and to my knowledge, Dallas as well. Funny that I mention this, though. I actually got away with transferring my young pirate Trela onto each set-up I played at during my last tournament, and while it's not the most time-consuming process in the world, it's so much simpler to just pick a default Mii Swordfighter from the CSS that was set up before the tournament itself. It helped that I was the only Mii Fighter player there, of course, and that's why I think I got away with it. I'll discuss this subject with my fellow TOs in the near future.

I'm not sure how EVO's going to go about these Miis, but if you tell them that certain custom moveslots actually have different Miis with specific heights and/or weights besides the normal, they would have to go into Mii Maker on a 3DS and set it all up from there, then transfer said Miis onto each WiiU. I know, SO DIFFICULT, right? Just depends on how they want to handle this situation. I haven't been keeping up with this whole Custom Moveset Project any, as I will not be attending EVO, so I don't even know what kind of Mii Swordfighter you guys think is best anyway. I have never tested my Mii Swordfighter with different attributes to his appearance, only the default settings.

As for which MOVES should be set up for him/her, other than 1111, the only combination I've played around with before is 2122. Shuriken of Light is a great disruption tool with its speed compared to Gale Strike, and I can tell it can come in handy in certain match-ups where your Gale Strike is just too slow to work with. Airborne Assault has always come off to me as better than Slash Launcher, with is INSANE momentum push that it can give you, making it a great recovery option. I don't know why you would use Chakram over this when his recovery isn't the best in the first place. Skyward Slash Dash is another effort to make his recovery better, as it can be controlled and is actually a bit reminiscent of Mii Brawler's Piston Punch in that it can get you some KOs, albeit no where near as early as Piston Punch can. Reversal Slash is most certainly a great asset to use in certain match-ups as well, whether it be just to reflect projectiles or to help get those surprise early KOs when you flip their recovery around into the opposite direction. Blade Counter is the safer option otherwise, and can also get early KOs when timed correctly on a strong move that's coming your way. Power Thrust doesn't offer what these two moves do, which is why I never used it.

Whew, that was a pretty long post! Hope I helped my fellow Swordfighters any. Some players believe that I only used him last weekend as a means to troll others, but I mean it when I say I tried my hardest to win with him. I will eventually bring him out in a tournament again, but for now it's back to Robin for me.
I just assumed you were trying your hardest to win WHILE ALSO trolling everyone.
So I assumed you are a secret Duck Hunt main :p

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I wonder how the "official" MSF will look like.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Well Imma go call Swordfighter a he now

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Swordfighter sounds better and it is ambiguous (not that I care but for those people who do)

RWB

Smash Ace
Swordsman is perfectly fine, as it is not actually a term for a male swordwielder. The term simply means a someone capable with swordsmanship.

You can call a female swordfighter a Swordsman OR Swordswoman, neither is incorrect.

And if it is really a big issue, just "Mii Sword" or SwordMii works.

10 Letter Limit, right?

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
You never know. He might bring out Swordfighter and bodied someone for their lack of knowledge - just like Trela did.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
You never know. He might bring out Swordfighter and bodied someone for their lack of knowledge - just like Trela did.
Litterally minutes after I posted that he said he was going to go to a tour with solo Swordfighter :/

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I think my preferred Swordfighter set is default height, minimum weight. I feel that I get outranged too much when I use shorter miis unless I want to go all in aggressive.

I like 1233 surprisingly enough.

Gale Strike: It's really grown on me. I don't think the ninja star projectile is good enough to rely on that much, so as a situational projectile, I think this one has more use since it can be used to disrupt at long range. It can also disrupt how an opponent approaches the ledge offstage. It forces them to go high, low, or eat the hit that may possibly follow up. It's not too useful other than to occasionally manipulate your opponent and cancel out some projectiles.

Slash Launcher: Because it's a stab by nature, it has some good range and clanking properties. I like to use it out of a pivot situation or as an alternative to dash attack/power thrust. It's pretty safe once partially charged and you have an opportunity to switch directions. It's mediocre at recovery, decent as a last ditch or reactive option. The only negatives are the poor damage and how you can't grab the edge if you hit something right before.

Hero's Spin: This move received a very nice buff of +2% damage when it was already a high % kill move. It's a legitimate mid-high kill move now past 90% on the majority of the cast from center stage. It comes out around frame 8, barely outside of trading with Link's 7-frame jab and beating his 9-frame downsmash. It's also a pretty good recovery as long as you continue your forward momentum. If they dodge it, however, that's a free punishment. IMO it's worth the risk since it's better than most of the good upsmashes in the game and beats out spot dodges and rolls (near the edge). Jab2 (and sometimes jab1) also sets up into it nicely.

Power Thrust: I discounted this move as just Falcon Kick, but imo it's very useful it seems after giving it some serious use. Because it's a thrust compared to a kick, it has a lot of natural disjoint. Its knockback angle is horizontal, it can kill around the 115 area with the sweetspot and it scales well with rage to kill much earlier. It can be used if an opponent ever forgets to air dodge as he becomes level with the stage as well. One surprising property is its ability to aid recoveries. It has surprisingly good horizontal momentum when used in the air. Since Hero's Spin relies on horizontal momentum, this could be good to use without wasting a double jump. This move is quite bad against shield, however. Once it hits something, the speed noticeably decreases, so sometimes you don't even go past a shield. You may be lucky to avoid punishment if it's blocked at point blank.

Having 3 bust approach attacks with Power Thrust, dash attack, and Slash Launcher may be overkill, but each has a small niche that helps cover quite a few situations along with dash grab. Dtilt is extremely safe now, so swordfighter is better at fighting closer up than he was before and could live without the tricker specials like Reversal Slash.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I think my preferred Swordfighter set is default height, minimum weight. I feel that I get outranged too much when I use shorter miis unless I want to go all in aggressive.

I like 1233 surprisingly enough.

Gale Strike: It's really grown on me. I don't think the ninja star projectile is good enough to rely on that much, so as a situational projectile, I think this one has more use since it can be used to disrupt at long range. It can also disrupt how an opponent approaches the ledge offstage. It forces them to go high, low, or eat the hit that may possibly follow up. It's not too useful other than to occasionally manipulate your opponent and cancel out some projectiles.

Slash Launcher: Because it's a stab by nature, it has some good range and clanking properties. I like to use it out of a pivot situation or as an alternative to dash attack/power thrust. It's pretty safe once partially charged and you have an opportunity to switch directions. It's mediocre at recovery, decent as a last ditch or reactive option. The only negatives are the poor damage and how you can't grab the edge if you hit something right before.

Hero's Spin: This move received a very nice buff of +2% damage when it was already a high % kill move. It's a legitimate mid-high kill move now past 90% on the majority of the cast from center stage. It comes out around frame 8, barely outside of trading with Link's 7-frame jab and beating his 9-frame downsmash. It's also a pretty good recovery as long as you continue your forward momentum. If they dodge it, however, that's a free punishment. IMO it's worth the risk since it's better than most of the good upsmashes in the game and beats out spot dodges and rolls (near the edge). Jab2 (and sometimes jab1) also sets up into it nicely.

Power Thrust: I discounted this move as just Falcon Kick, but imo it's very useful it seems after giving it some serious use. Because it's a thrust compared to a kick, it has a lot of natural disjoint. Its knockback angle is horizontal, it can kill around the 115 area with the sweetspot and it scales well with rage to kill much earlier. It can be used if an opponent ever forgets to air dodge as he becomes level with the stage as well. One surprising property is its ability to aid recoveries. It has surprisingly good horizontal momentum when used in the air. Since Hero's Spin relies on horizontal momentum, this could be good to use without wasting a double jump. This move is quite bad against shield, however. Once it hits something, the speed noticeably decreases, so sometimes you don't even go past a shield. You may be lucky to avoid punishment if it's blocked at point blank.

Having 3 bust approach attacks with Power Thrust, dash attack, and Slash Launcher may be overkill, but each has a small niche that helps cover quite a few situations along with dash grab. Dtilt is extremely safe now, so swordfighter is better at fighting closer up than he was before and could live without the tricker specials like Reversal Slash.
Hmm interesting i while i do feel that Default Swordfighter is kinda clunky i probably will test your set out simply because it's unorthodox

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
Should I keep reversal slash? I like using it as a reflector/glide to offstage gimps, but aside from that, I don't have much uses for it.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Should I keep reversal slash? I like using it as a reflector/glide to offstage gimps, but aside from that, I don't have much uses for it.
MU Specific Like I really want SoL + Reversal Slash against Lucario cuz he sucks at neutral and i want to make him feel unsafe to throw projectiles
Other than that PT has become my down b of choice

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Another neat thing about Gale Strike that I may have/someone may have mentioned before:

If you ever get into a position where you'd do a grab-fight (opponent spot-dodges expecting a grab), using Gale Strike instead will in fact punish this very, very well (it comes out right after the spot-dodge ends). GS also does more damage at immediate range (according to the sandbag anyway).

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
You can use on Ledge Getups. Depending on positioning, you should be able to beat 3 of the 4 Ledge Get ups - Ledge Climb, Ledge Attack and maybe Ledge Jump if you predict it.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I've noticed that Reversal Slash is great for turning people around when they try to smash you or punish you in some way. Not only for gimping.

My fav set is probably 3132

Blurring Blade (used Gale Strike, but its just not a good projectile, too slow)
Airborne Assault (for recovery, and hard reads/roll punish)
Hero's Spin (because of course)
Reversal Slash (reasons stated above)

Chakram seems tempting but Im not willing to give up recovery for that xD

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
My favorites to use are 2131 and 1131. The projectiles depend on the matchup, AA for recovery, Hero's Spin for an OOS option and decent recovery, and Counter because I'm not sure what else to really put. I'll experiment with the last slot later on.

Last edited:

Speed Boost

Smash Apprentice
I like the the the X232 set. I say X because I like all of the neutral B specials and I haven't decided which I like best yet. Although, it's probably more of a MU based decision since they all have pros and cons.

Neutral B:

1. Gale Strike - Eliminates many projectiles, good hitstun, minimal damage unless very close range, slow moving but can't be used to approach, substantial startup and cooldown time.

Probably the best option against average to slow, zone heavy characters.

2. Shuriken of Light - quick startup and cooldown, average range, great damage(8%) and hitstun at max range, good damage(3-4%) and hitstun less than max range.

Probably best option against fast charcters.

3. Blurring Blade - great damage and knockback even with minimal charge, substantial startup and cooldown time, leaves you without any projectile to aid zoning or force approaches.

A decent option against average to slow characters with limited zoning options.

For the rest of the specials I only ever use one option, so I will only address those moves.

Side B:

2. Slash Launcher - Good for movement, recovery and landing mixups, decent offensive mixup for punishing obvious rolls and mid range crossups, noticeable startup and cooldown time, below average damage without charge.

When compared to the other options Slash Launcher has the most overall utility without being as much of a liability as Airborne Assault. I don't feel Chakram is good enough to warrant consideration.

Up B:

3. Hero's Spin - solid vertical and horizontal recovery, great damage and knockback on the ground, quick grounded startup, substantial grounded cooldown.

Overall the best option for recovery and adds a very solid kill move on the ground. Oh, and it can combo out of DThrow at low %.

Down B:

2. Reversal Slash - reflects projectiles, turns foes around, gimps some recovery options, slows decent in the air.

I'll admit I haven't really tried Blade Counter and Power Thrust seems redundant with Slash Launcher and a great DAir. Reversal Slash has such great utility, it's basically Mario's Cape.

After saying all that, if I had to pick one set forever I think it would be 2232. I think it provides the best overall kill power, movement, utility and zoning.

Last edited:

shining_emolga

Smash Rookie
NNID
That_Ralts
short-wide mii with 1321 is one of the stronger Swordfighters I myself prefer1331 or 2332.
I'm currently attempting to pick up Tall Thin 1231 and/or 2331. I'm loving the character so far, it's such a great departure from my other mains (Villager, Ness/Lucas, Luigi). I want to get good enough to bring him to a tournament, but I must get around his not-so-decent grab game.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I tried Slash Launcher, but for some reason it doesn't really appeal to me too much. I usually pack Airborne Assault just because the recovery for that is so much better. For the record, I'm not a huge Quick Draw fan for Ike either. Slash Launcher is probably better on the ground, but it fits my Swordfighter's style better as more of a zoner with Shuriken of Light. However, it may be better for a Gale Strike one. I'll have to use them both and see which ones I do better with and like better, but I don't think either are bad choices.

Robert J King

Smash Rookie
Blade Flurry fully connects now, yes? Does this change anyone's opinion about picking it as their Neutral B? One could use 333X since Chakram got buffed as well, we still have a great projectile. I'd maybe keep Down B as Power Thrust for approach options.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Blade Flurry fully connects now, yes? Does this change anyone's opinion about picking it as their Neutral B? One could use 333X since Chakram got buffed as well, we still have a great projectile. I'd maybe keep Down B as Power Thrust for approach options.
all of swordfighters specials may be usable now imma come back later and expand on this

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Yeah Blurring Blade appears to connect better or the Lloyd costume makes Sword Rain work. So supposedly Slash Launcher has a faster startup, SoL does 10? dmg at max range, and Power Thrust goes farther. I am still waiting the higher ups to confirm this. Has anyone seen any change with Reversal Slash?

DiNoahsaur

Smash Rookie
The name is too long.
I think that "Swordfighter" sounds better than "swordsman"

"Swordsman" has this weird mouth thing where you have to go from a 'rds' sound to a 'men' sound. bleh.

Also, an Abreviation, SF is faster to type then SM... (note, the S & F are only 2 keys away ((and on your 'home-row'))).

^ that's my opinion.

Top Bottom