• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Mii Swordfighter

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
I imagine melee-specific custom sets would benefit from being tall, while projectile-specific customs would benefit from being short. Although being able to move and jump around much faster is a substantial benefit either way...

I don't see why each of the 10 need to be the same height? Can't we tailor the height/weight to the set itself?

Also, since weight affects the range of Slash Launcher, does it affect the range of Airborne Assault? If it does, AA may be much less risky on wide swordfighters.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I imagine melee-specific custom sets would benefit from being tall, while projectile-specific customs would benefit from being short. Although being able to move and jump around much faster is a substantial benefit either way...

I don't see why each of the 10 need to be the same height? Can't we tailor the height/weight to the set itself?

Also, since weight affects the range of Slash Launcher, does it affect the range of Airborne Assault? If it does, AA may be much less risky on wide swordfighters.
No Swordfighter wants to be taller than about 1/2, maybe default, you literally lose a HUGE movement stats for some extra range and a tiny bit of weight/damage/KO potential

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
We need to have a standardized height/weight class for each Mii Fighter because it would be an absolute logistical hell to try to convince TOs to import 30 different Miis for the sake of tailoring like that. On the flipside, though, you guys get to have more than 10 sets so that's a plus, I'd say.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
The slight difference in timing can be accounted for human error, that's all. I'm pretty sure fat and thin Miis are exactly the same when it comes to endlag.
Hmm... not sure. Since Mii Swordfighters now follow the pros and cons as the other Miis when changing the weight and height, a Thin/Short SF should have a faster recovery/startup than a Heavy/Tall. For example,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k37VeRJlYZs&feature=youtu.be&t=39s
Dapuffster said this is true combo only when Brawler is thin/short. He also against Brawler being thin/short. He believe that is broken and should not be allowed.

So... what's the general consensus in regards to Swordfighter's height and weight? Or does that also depend on the kind of moveset you want to use. Like I said before, I use the 1231 set, so do I need to go Small Thin, Small Fat, Mid-Height Fat, etc?
For now, it is preference. Sadly, I have been preoccupied with other things (Monster Hunter 4) to figure out the most optimal size, I personally use Short/Medium and I might check out 1/4 height & weight or 1/2 Height/Thin Weight.

I want to agree with General Ledge (different size for different sets) but that will give TOs and other players more "problems". For now, we need to think of different sets for different situations, matchups or common playstyles.

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
You can see the endlag differences by simply spamming dtilt. Height seems to have full affect on dtilt's endlag, as a max height it takes a little bit to come out, while a minheight it comes out very fast.

I'm curious if weight affects landing lag on moves. It'd make sense, but... Well, a lot of the size differences so far haven't, so *shrug*

Here's a shoddy MSPaint chart where the topic has led me to understand we want our Default Mii size to be at (in which I prtscr an excel sheet and draw a circle):

Does this look correct, or am I misunderstanding something?

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
So wait, what do "1/4" and "1/2" mean in context of the previous page? Is "1/4" a quarter of the way up the line, or is 1/4 the minheight? Is 1/2 the half mark?

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
When I've been discussing heights, I've meant 1/4 to be dead center between minimum and default, and 1/2 to actually be default.

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
That's what I figured. I missed any mention of minheight on the previous page so I left it out.

EDIT:
Min height is also not optimal because you lose range...If the optimal Swordfighter were to be made it be somewhere in between min height and default and thinish.
:|

~

So between 0 and 1/2 height. What weight consensus? 0-1/4? 0-1/8?

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
When I've been discussing heights, I've meant 1/4 to be dead center between minimum and default, and 1/2 to actually be default.
OHHHHH
I read 1/2 as half default and minimum sorry.

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Hrm.

Well, Here's version 2 of the previous chart. Blue is more optimal, orange is 'acceptable'. Although it sounds like this may also be incorrect, by Antonykun's recent post.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
For now, Height is 1/4 and thinnest until further notice. We have up to the 26th to make our final decision.

CrimsonSmasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
NintenJerry
3DS FC
3737-9960-0814
I don't know if it's supposed to be talked about here, but do you peeps think this stuff will even be discussed in the Smash Back Room or will they ignore the Miis and their variables in the production of their analyses and lists?

For now, Height is 1/4 and thinnest until further notice. We have up to the 26th to make our final decision.
I guess I'll make 1/4 Height - Thin and Default - Thin Mii Swordfighters just in case (and to test stuff out myself). Then again, I wonder if this setup really gives a different meaning to Sword Mii's viability, since it's just a slightly faster and whatnot. It's still a slow character in the general case, no?

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I don't know much about the Smash Back Room. Just judging from how inactive the Swordfighter forum is, I seriously doubt it. Especially when you have people that come here to taunt/mock how terrible this class is. Sigh... right. This is not place to vent my frustration. Anyways...

Yeah, he is a slow character. You can tell just by playing default compared to the other Mii Classes. His attack speed is overall faster than Mii Gunner (http://pastebin.com/NJ4Q5PzU) but Gunner has range, faster movements (airspeed mainly), and F-Air mobility. You see, being a melting pot of Pre-patch Ike, Link, and Kirby (without carrying the traits that made them good) did not help him much. Especially with the ending lag in most of his moves. With this size change, we help him a lot. We decrease his startup on most of the attacks and increase his movement in exchange for shorter range and less power (both negligible).

CrimsonSmasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
NintenJerry
3DS FC
3737-9960-0814
I don't know much about the Smash Back Room. Just judging from how inactive the Swordfighter forum is, I seriously doubt it. Especially when you have people that come here to taunt/mock how terrible this class is. Sigh... right. This is not place to vent my frustration. Anyways...

Yeah, he is a slow character. You can tell just by playing default compared to the other Mii Classes. His attack speed is overall faster than Mii Gunner (http://pastebin.com/NJ4Q5PzU) but Gunner has range, faster movements (airspeed mainly), and F-Air mobility. You see, being a melting pot of Pre-patch Ike, Link, and Kirby (without carrying the traits that made them good) did not help him much. Especially with the ending lag in most of his moves. With this size change, we help him a lot. We decrease his startup on most of the attacks and increase his movement in exchange for shorter range and less power (both negligible).
Still, you'd think they're obligated to analyze every character for the sake of match-ups and tier lists.

Anyway, in regards to the size and whatnot, I suppose speed is a necessity since the difference in power is only a few % anyway. I'm just wondering how easier you'll get smashed out of the stage (if you go with Thin-Small set especially) in comparison to Heavy Tall, since you don't want to be too floaty or light as well.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Meh, should they do it? Yes, of course. Are they obligate to analyze? Nope. I mean Mii Fighters are left out in Running Speed/ Walking Speed, Reflect/Absorb/Counter Analysis and so for. But now that, Mii and Custom are becoming "standard", we might see something. The fact that John12346 is here means we are getting somewhere.

About your "Thin/Small survive rate compared to Heavy/Tall" question - some cool kat did the analysis for us. Check on the 3rd spoiler.
http://smashboards.com/threads/mii-height-width-analysis.373891/

Mind you, this is Vertical KO and Mii Brawlers but you get the jiff of it. Overall, it appears to be 1-3% difference.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Does stone scabbard have invincibility frames? If so, then it might be the best up b depending on when the first hit happens.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Wait what? Where? Is it during the startup or frame 4-6 like Marth's? I know I have been hit out of it.

I will not say Stone Scabbard is better than Hero's Spin but it does net you a guarantee spike if you are good.
That's what I want to know too :/

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Take note, this part here's a copied and pasted message! But please read it anyway:
As we begin to approach the deadline for creating 10 custom sets for each character, we believe it's time to make sure that your conversations are staying on track, and that we evaluate the progress of your discussions. As such, we have prepared a preliminary lineup of custom sets based on what your conversations have led to. Feel free to adjust and update this list as necessary. After all, we want each character to be brought to their best potential!

We are going to begin to create the finalized sets on March 17th, so make sure you conclude any discussion you're having by then.

Preliminary Custom Sets(16 sets):
Mii Height: 1/4 tall
Mii Weight: Thinnest
2231 2211 2232 2212 1231 1211 1232 1212 2331 2311 2332 2312 1331 1311 1332 1312

Since Miis get to have more than 10 sets, of course we're going to grant the power to you guys. With a good amount of special moves to choose from, I'm sure no Swordfighter can object to this nice combination of specials. I did see a bit of discussion over Power Thrust's utility, and while I'm not sure it really has any use, you guys did seem interested in it. If we were to include it in the combinations, you guys would have 24 sets which might be overkill, but if you need to have some sets including it, I'm sure we could fit them in.

And of course, please confirm that 1/4 height and thinnest is what you want in Swordfighter. I took him into training mode myself and it seemed like the optimized way to use him. If you guys have any better combinations I'd like to hear it, but keep in mind we're going to stick with a standardized height and weight, okay?
Mii Swordfighter(16 sets):
1/4 height, thinnest
1/2, 2/3, 1/3, 1/2
Note: Do you want any Power Thrust sets?

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Take note, this part here's a copied and pasted message! But please read it anyway:
As we begin to approach the deadline for creating 10 custom sets for each character, we believe it's time to make sure that your conversations are staying on track, and that we evaluate the progress of your discussions. As such, we have prepared a preliminary lineup of custom sets based on what your conversations have led to. Feel free to adjust and update this list as necessary. After all, we want each character to be brought to their best potential!

We are going to begin to create the finalized sets on March 17th, so make sure you conclude any discussion you're having by then.

2231 2211 2233 2213 1231 1211 1233 1213 2331 2311 2333 2313 1331 1311 1333 1313

Since Miis get to have more than 10 sets, of course we're going to grant the power to you guys. With a good amount of special moves to choose from, I'm sure no Swordfighter can object to this nice combination of specials. I did see a bit of discussion over Power Thrust's utility, and while I'm not sure it really has any use, you guys did seem interested in it. If we were to include it in the combinations, you guys would have 24 sets which might be overkill, but if you need to have some sets including it, I'm sure we could fit them in.

And of course, please confirm that 1/4 height and thinnest is what you want in Swordfighter. I took him into training mode myself and it seemed like the optimized way to use him. If you guys have any better combinations I'd like to hear it, but keep in mind we're going to stick with a standardized height and weight, okay?
1/4 height, thinnest
1/2, 2/3, 1/3, 1/2
No 213 (2/3)? It's currently the best set imo.
we already know that SoL is the best nspec for Swordfighter.
AA is the least bad/redundant of side bs so why not.
Hero's Spin is the best recovery overall and a good OOS
Cape and PT are also good in neutral.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Okay, first off I made a typo. All the sets I posted were supposed to have Blade Counter and Reversal Slash as the only available DownBs, with no Power Thrust sets. I fixed that just now.

Next, keep in mind that I based these sets solely from what I could gather from the conversation. I didn't seem to see any desire towards Airborne Assault nor Power Thrust whatsoever, so they weren't included. From what I could gather, as far as SideBs, Slash Launcher was the superior "mobility and recovery" custom and kind of made AA redundant as a result.

Keep in mind none of this is my opinion, just what I saw from the discussion here. If you want to see those moves in, just make a case for 'em, here and now.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord

1/4 height, thinnest
1/2, 2/3, 1/3, 1/2
Hmm... interesting. I believe you mean Airborne Assault set since none of the sets have X1XX in them but have XXX3 (which is Power Thrust). Just change any set that has Sword Launcher and Power Thrust (X2X3) to Airborne Assault and Power Thrust (X1X3) because former is redundant imo. Sword Launcher is basically a hybrid of Power Thrust and Airborne Assault in terms of recovery and gap closer, however, it lacks Power Thrust - early kill potential and ability to beat weak projectiles and Airborne Assault - Better arc in recovery.

Just saw the edit: Hmm let's see. After a long evaluation on all the sets, I believe you should trade these three (1331,1212,1211) in favor for (2131,2132,2133) for now. If anyone has objection, we have up to 17th to fight about it.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
It seems like the biggest point of contention is what kinds of combinations you should be running with. As it stands your possible set combinations look like this:

1/2, 1/2/3, 1/3, 1/2/3

Which is a total of 36 sets, which I think we can all agree is a mite overkill. Since it seems apparent that the existence of Power Thrust neutralizes the use of Slash Launcher, and ALSO needs to be paired with Airborne Assault, we can actually narrow this down.

1/2, 1, 1/3, 3 = 4 sets(these would be the essential sets and come first on the list of course)
1/2, 2/3, 1/3, 1/2 = 16 sets

For a total of 20. The drawback here is that Airborne Assault won't be paired up with the other Down Specials, but this is a much more manageable lineup. How does that sound?

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hmm... interesting. I believe you mean Airborne Assault set since none of the sets have X1XX in them but have XXX3 (which is Power Thrust). Just change any set that has Sword Launcher and Power Thrust (X2X3) to Airborne Assault and Power Thrust (X1X3) because former is redundant imo. Sword Launcher is basically a hybrid of Power Thrust and Airborne Assault in terms of recovery and gap closer, however, it lacks Power Thrust - early kill potential and ability to beat weak projectiles and Airborne Assault - Better arc in recovery.

Just saw the edit: Hmm let's see. After a long evaluation on all the sets, I believe you should trade these three (1331,1212,1211) in favor for (2131,2132,2133) for now. If anyone has objection, we have up to 17th to fight about it.
Could you go to training mode, use the raccoon leaf and go as far offstage with Quarter/thin in a single jump to see if Double Jump plus Hero's Spin means a recovery? My 3DS is too busy dowloading MH4U

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I tested this on 3DS Final Destination - You can recover from offscreen, but you cannot go TOO far offscreen otherwise you're obviously not going to make it. Regardless, the recovery distance is massive, you can trust me on that.

Also, regarding the sets I just proposed, it may also be prudent to combine AA with one other Down Special to help allow for more options. If you add one to 1/2, 1, 1/3, 3 the number of sets will go up from 20 to 24, and I suppose that's the absolute limit of movesets we want to have for one specific Mii Fighter. So expanding on that point, I would assume you would want one of the following combinations of sets:

1/2, 1, 1/3, 1/3 + 1/2, 2/3, 1/3, 1/2
1/2, 1, 1/3, 1/2 + 1/2, 2/3, 1/3, 1/2

And If I had to guess, it would probably be the one with the reflector, but you guys mull it over for yourselves. But let's say 24 is the maximum we can allow for movesets on a Mii, okay?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
If we want to prune more sets then we can make less of the gale strike sets as it's better qualities than SoL are gimmicky at best.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Hero's Spin recovery is amazing! We are lucky to have something like that.
Bold Claim - Hero's Spin is the best recovery out all the Mii Classes (if they are forced to use their Up Bs only and no Wall Jump).

I still believe 24 - hell 20 is insane. Swordfighter is a small niche group. We don't need so many sets imo. But I am fine with this:
1/2, 1, 1/3, 3 = 4 sets(these would be the essential sets and come first on the list of course)

Or what Antonykun mention - Drop Gale Strike.
EDIT: Gale Strike make characters like Link/Megaman sort of useless since the move blocks all their projectiles. Sigh... I don't know anymore. Haha... you know, this fun. It has been a while since theorycraft for Swordfighter.

Last edited:

CrimsonSmasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
NintenJerry
3DS FC
3737-9960-0814

1/4 height, thinnest
1/2, 2/3, 1/3, 1/2
What does the "1/2, 2/3, 1/3, 1/2" part mean, is that in regards to the moveset or the height?

I am glad that 1231 and 2231 are included. I'm still doubting between Gale Strike and SoL, mostly because I fail at using SoL because whenever I try to use it to create distance it's like I'm throwing a ball at someone but that ball ends up falling to the ground just a few meters short from the target.
I notice the inclusion of Skyward Slash Dash in the movesets. I haven't seen people mentioning Skyward Slash Dash (Up-B2), but I could be wrong. Does it have any pros that outweigh or rival what Airborn Assault or Hero's Spin have to offer?

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hero's Spin recovery is amazing! We are lucky to have something like that.
Bold Claim - Hero's Spin is the best recovery out all the Mii Classes (if they are forced to use their Up Bs only and no Wall Jump).

I still believe 24 - hell 20 is insane. Swordfighter is a small niche group. We don't need so many sets imo. But I am fine with this:

Or what Antonykun mention - Drop Gale Strike.
As far as UpB recoveries, yes.
I personally would have the essential sets be:
2,1,1/3,1/2/3 =6 sets
and a few others to catch the different but otherwise inferior Gale Strike and Chakram

CrimsonSmasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
NintenJerry
3DS FC
3737-9960-0814
As far as UpB recoveries, yes.
I personally would have the essential sets be:
2,1,1/3,1/2/3 =6 sets
and a few others to catch the different but otherwise inferior Gale Strike and Chakram
*2, 1/2, 1/3, 1/2/3
Don't you dare underestimating Sword Launcher. It's at least more reliable whereas opponents can easily dodge an Airborn Assault through sheer dodging (example: them Shiek hitboxes). It's funny how Chakram is no longer being heralded as "One of Swordfighter's best assets". That makes me kind of fear we might still overlook stuff regarding Swordfighter even after the Custom Moveset Project has come to an conclusion.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
*2, 1/2, 1/3, 1/2/3
Don't you dare underestimating Sword Launcher. It's at least more reliable whereas opponents can easily dodge an Airborn Assault through sheer dodging (example: them Shiek hitboxes). It's funny how Chakram is no longer being heralded as "One of Swordfighter's best assets". That makes me kind of fear we might still overlook stuff regarding Swordfighter even after the Custom Moveset Project has come to an conclusion.
Slash launcher<Power Thrust in the ground and Aerial Assault is a way better recovery.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Still, it's an undeniable fact that Slash Launcher does have it's own set of uses in terms of recovery, as well as somewhat safe onstage applications. Upon further consideration the 2, 1/2, 1/3, 1/2/3 set seems to be a good way to go, but we can add to it further like so:

2, 1/2, 1/3, 1/2/3 = 12 sets, the current "essential" sets
1, 1/2/3, 1/3, 3 = 6 sets. From what I can tell, the use of Gale is to fight specific projectile-heavy matchups. As such, it would be more preferable to have the Reversal Slash in any set involving Gale. You may also want the projectile utility of Chakram with SoL out of the picture in these sets.

This gives us a much more manageable 18 sets, and seem to cover the various playstyles a Swordfighter might want to pull out. So how does this sound?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
As funny as it is to have more essential sets than other characters have sets at all. I will admit that this covers pretty much everything Swordfighter wants to do.

Top Bottom