• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Mii Brawler

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
So what you're saying is using shot put as a zoning threat to get the enemy to combo kill percent is useless and if the enemy passes combo kill percent (unless you want to chase them with d-throw forever hoping you land it when they know you want to do it) shotput is still useless for racking up damage to kill with something else? Shotput is safe to use against many characters unless you use it recklessly. Against characters it isn't safe against, then switch it out for uppercut. Simple as that. About the 15% that "could've easily been achieved from another attack", There is a thing called mixing up your attacks and shot put being hard to punish by many characters when used correctly so it's safe to throw it out and maybe get 15% risk-free.

Saying shot put deals damage which makes it bad is like saying every single move in his arsenal is bad because it deals damage. That's just silly.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So what you're saying is using shot put as a zoning threat to get the enemy to combo kill percent is useless and if the enemy passes combo kill percent (unless you want to chase them with d-throw forever hoping you land it when they know you want to do it) shotput is still useless for racking up damage to kill with something else? Shotput is safe to use against many characters unless you use it recklessly. Against characters it isn't safe against, then switch it out for uppercut. Simple as that. About the 15% that "could've easily been achieved from another attack", There is a thing called mixing up your attacks and shot put being hard to punish by many characters when used correctly so it's safe to throw it out and maybe get 15% risk-free.

Saying shot put deals damage which makes it bad is like saying every single move in his arsenal is bad because it deals damage. That's just silly.
lmfao you completely ignored every single thing I said and restated the exact "Well jigglymaster! all other moves do is just rack up damage, they're useless too right?" In many tournaments right now you either have the choice of 1111, 2222, or 3333. That or you have to pick with one loadout and stick with it. 2222 will always be better than 1111 and Uppercut covers more matchups than shot Put does. I understand that you think racking up damage is good but for Mii Brawler you have to be precise with your damage management. It's the top level metagame for Mii Brawler.

Ultimate Uppercut - Is able to kill past HK combo percent
Shotput - Is able to rack up damage to eventually be able to kill past HK combo percent.

I mean, I've said all I can, I guess I'll just let tournament results do the talking from here on.

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
Sure ultimate upper is able to kill past combo percent, but you have to create windows to charge to even use it. In certain matchups, those charge windows may also let a zoner breathe or give somebody an easier time recovering. Shot Put can keep on the pressure and you have other kill moves available. Stop saying shot put is useless and ultimate uppercut needs to be worshipped like a diety. They both have their good uses.

If you still won't listen to reason I'll just let you keep fan-boying.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Uppercut is not universally better than Shot Put.

Shot Put allows you to float in the direction of your choice in mid-air (probably the only place you should use it) while throwing it which makes it safe to use unless you are using it recklessly. I shouldn't have to explain why having a high damage and safe poke is good. Uppercut may be an option if you don't feel you would be able to make good use of Shot Put in a specific match-up, but saying Shot Put is useless is really something.
A few questions on this. Wouldn't perfect pivot Shot Put be a lot safer? Would perfect Pivot Shot put be good for anything? I feel like it could be decent for zoning and dealing with projectiles (The same way shiek's grenade counters projectiles)

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Racking up damage is bad for Mii Brawler? Say what now? Can't you kill with, you know, other moves besides helicopter kick? dSmash, uSmash, onslaught, bAir... heck even dAir.

@ Jigglymaster Jigglymaster I understand you're referring to the metagame in the present day, regarding tournaments, but IDEALLY this would progress to a stage where we could use whatever custom moves we want... All that talk of 1111/2222 sets will be outdated next year, guaranteed. We can use shotput AND helicopter kick if we want to. If you rack up damage from afar until the opponent is at combo percents, isn't that a valid strategy, anyway?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I mean, if you want to use Shotput go ahead I'm not going to stop you. In my opinion I just think its hurting Mii Brawler more than helping him and that the optimal loadout is 2122. We'll go each our own ways and we'll just see who places higher in tournies.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
That makes sense. I'm going as Falcon, but whenever I try Mii Brawler out I'm using my own loadout, sure enough.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I rock the world with:

Ultimate Uppercut
Onslaught
Piston Punch
Feint Kick

I chose these based on my own style of play, really, so don't look too deeply into it. But it turns out these are some pretty awesome attacks to use competitively, imo.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
As an update to the main Mii Brawler loadouts, these are what I'd consider running.

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
I'm always contemplating Onslaught + Head on Assault VS. Headache Maker + Foot Flurry. They each have their good points, HoA knocks people into the ground, but H. Maker has more momentum and you can choose when to use it. Onslaught only hits people if you come in contact with them, and it acts like Falcon Kick in the air, whereas FF has that cool hover thing and it hits people regardless if you touch them.

I usually go 1333 or 1131.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Sure ultimate upper is able to kill past combo percent, but you have to create windows to charge to even use it. In certain matchups, those charge windows may also let a zoner breathe or give somebody an easier time recovering. Shot Put can keep on the pressure and you have other kill moves available. Stop saying shot put is useless and ultimate uppercut needs to be worshipped like a diety. They both have their good uses.

If you still won't listen to reason I'll just let you keep fan-boying.
Relegating to personal insults is worse than being dense. Both of them are usable in different MUs, yes. Mii Brawl needs to keep the enemy at a certain % to kill easily, yes. Being extremely adamant that Shot Put sucks might be not good. But throwing random insults at him is worse than what's he's doing, and because of that you're wrong with how you're treating him. Yeah he might be wrong. But saying how he's worshipping this like a deity, or how he doens't listen to reason and is an Ultimate Uppercut fanboy, simply because he doesn't agree with you... On a natural forum argument like this, you can't get much lower.

Last edited:

Zereken

Smash Rookie
NNID
purification
Since I started playing, Mii Brawler stood out as a very versatile, speedy, and strong character, being able to perform amazing combos without breaking a sweat. I chose a moveset that foresees recovery, remedial/ advanced counters, and invincibility against juggles.

1: Shot Put
1: Onslaught
3. Piston Punch
2. Feint Jump

I chose Shot Put for the extra damage, the element of surprise, and canceling a recovery from opponents. I still don't know why I am so accurate with this.
I chose Onslaught because it is an amazing combo starter as well as an aerial follow-up move, despite the vulnerability afterwards.
I chose Piston Punch for vertical recovery, and finishers. The reason I chose this and not any other up special is because of high jump capabilities, another being that when I am normally knocked off the stage, I am usually above the edge, due to Mii Brawler not being very heavy.
I chose Feint Jump as a combo cancel move and a horizontal recovery move. Stop the enemy, and surprise them with an oncoming attack!

Last edited:

Shakyy

Addicted to Ice.
NNID
Shakyy
IMO
1122 is the best variation

Shotput gives you amazing momentum shift and is better than the 2 customs as the 2 customs usage can be gained from other moves with similar effects, also shotput gives Mii an excellent way of edge guarding and beats out other projectlies.

Onslaught gives you decent shield pressure aswell as a quick gap closer, also if spaced at the right height in the air it can be spaced on shields safely and allow you to push up unto platforms. Its also a strong kill move in similar fashion to Falcons side B.

Now with helicopter kick this is the most debatable one but boils down to a couple of important factors, Mii brawler is a heavily combo oriented character and I feel helicopter kick is the better option over piston punch because its not only a stronger combo finisher on most of the cast, but it comboes out of his main comboes more fluidly, for example at higher percents on a lot of characters down throw to fair or uair easily comboes into helicopter kick, however piston would only combo out of uair in the same situation. Piston punch I see as more of a move you would tech in against lighter members of the cast as an easy way to secure kills at obsurdely low percentages, but seeing as we're trying to solidify one moveset I'd say Helicopter kick is the best option.

As for down B Feint jump gives you a 3rd free semi jump and allows for him to play around with his momentum a lot more.

The main reason I picked these moves is because when I think of Mii brawler I see him as a character who has great speed, agility and momentum options put together with a great combo game, and these options are what i believe to be the best for him in this sense.

FrameImperfect

Smash Cadet
NNID
3x3=?
3DS FC
0044-2904-0617
I run 3 1 2 2. imo Onslaught is an easier way of getting to the stage horizontally, like with Fox Illusion. I picked Side Kick cause having a Warlock Punch is always FUN!

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
I run 3 1 2 2. imo Onslaught is an easier way of getting to the stage horizontally, like with Fox Illusion. I picked Side Kick cause having a Warlock Punch is always FUN!
I agree 100%, but I normally run 3131. Never really found myself using either of the other neutrals. Head-on assault because I also play Yoshi and it felt familiar.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I've tried switching up my specials for a few matches and oh my GOD it feels so weird. Ultimate Uppercut is fine but really hard to hit, and everytime my opponent went off-stage I went to press B and thought "ohh... yeah, I haven't got projectiles, now".

I tried Helicopter Kick too and, well, it's great. It's obviously great. Thing is, Mii Brawler has great horizontal recovery with both onslaught and feint jump. Now, I like to gimp low, and I like mixing up my recoveries. So I need to have a good vertical recovery too.
Helicopter Kick recovers okayish vertically, but Piston Punch is actually great when it comes to recovering. So yeah, I'm sticking with Piston Punch, not because it's a great KO move (it is, even if Helicopter Kick is better), but because it has better vertical recovery than Helicopter Kick.

Does this make sense to any of you? I feel like I don't need Helicopter Kick to get KOs... Guess I'm just trying to feel justified, lol.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
As an update to the main Mii Brawler loadouts, these are what I'd consider running.

Are you running short and thin or short and fat miis? Also, I'd like to know why you usually take Onslaught over Burning Drop Kick. Neither seem particularly useful to me, I guess it's a choice between a situational KO move and a situational recovery move?

I used a 2222 guest brawler in a tourney a few weeks back but I've enjoyed myself a lot more using shorter miis so I'm looking for the general consensus of what the ideal weight is.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Are you running short and thin or short and fat miis? Also, I'd like to know why you usually take Onslaught over Burning Drop Kick. Neither seem particularly useful to me, I guess it's a choice between a situational KO move and a situational recovery move?

I used a 2222 guest brawler in a tourney a few weeks back but I've enjoyed myself a lot more using shorter miis so I'm looking for the general consensus of what the ideal weight is.
Small/Small is usually the best. Also, Burning drop kick can't really be used as a recovery because of how long its cooldown is, it's horizontal recovery is useless beacuse of feint jump and helicopter kick. Onslaught isn't very good either but it's a kill move that you can get off of reading a roll, it's the small things that make the final choice.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Don't forget that yes, Small/small is the best, but so far only the guest miis are allowed. Maybe you should spend some time practicing with the default-size miis.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
I've gotten so used to the guest/default height mii with 2222, it's amazing.

Small/small is the best, but in general they only let you use guest miis at tournaments.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I think there is merit in both Shot Put and Ultimate Uppercut. Shot Put deals a good amount of hitstun / shieldstun to make it safe on hit, though you're going to get punished if you miss it as it does have considerable startup and cool-down. It's also worth noting that Shot Put is so strong that it outright beats other projectiles like Mega Man's lemons, Mario/Luigi's fireball, and Ness's PK Fire, as well as blowing up the Duck Hunt Duo's can on contact. The trajectory that Shot Put travels in can also stuff opponents recovering low.

Shot Put may not be as useful as Ultimate Uppercut is with it's ridiculous power, but it's certainly got its uses. Ultimate Uppercut is probably the most useful one in the end, with it's absurd KO potential when fully charged and warrants a lot of respect from the opponent. For some projectile happy matchups, however, Shot Put might end up breaking the opponent's rhythm.

As for Side-B's, it's Onslaught vs Burning Dropkick. I find Onslaught the better one since it can punish dodges more consistently than Dropkick. If only Dropkick had less startup, it would be better. On the other hand, Dropkick is better for recovery.

Out of all the Down-B's, Feint Jump is the best one. Foot Flurry can be DI'd out of, and it's redundant with Onslaught to punish dodges.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
My Brawler version of myself uses Ultimate Uppercut to store a special and unleash it later when my opponent is at high damage, Burning Dropkick for a good horizontal recovery, Soaring Ax Kick for a good vertical recovery and a more reliable meteor smash, and Feint Jump for its overall utility as an evade and counterattack (while somewhat helpful for recovering). My height is always maximum while my weight is right in the middle (which is based on my actual stature).

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
To summarize my understanding of Mii Brawler, the two most important sets moveset wise to include are:

2122, 1122

These will make most people happy.

Neutral-3 is a Falcon Punch clone and thus not viable in any way.
Side-2 is a very marginal as far as I can tell... but some people like it. Why?
Is Side-3 any good? My vague testing suggested it was a decent footsies tool and was surprisingly high priority, not a great move overall but seemed competitive with Onslaught to my very untrained eye.
Up-1 is a non-option.
Up-3 is useful for gimmicky glitch kills with the first hit but is otherwise not worth using.
Down-2 is absolutely essential to Mii Brawler's recovery so Down-1 and Down-3 aren't considered.

There aren't really theoretical space limits for the Mii Brawler so as many sets as are worth using can be included. I'd definitely like to hear before the project locks in if people have any good arguments for side-2 or side-3 (Onslaught sounds like a "least bad of bad options" move) and what people feel about Piston Punch in general. We are under no obligation to include sets with it and if it's legitimately not a useful move won't. You guys are way more affected by that decision than anyone else, and that's something that you should definitely be weighing in on.

As per side, so far I'm hearing that many people are used to guest miis because, um, it's often forced on them by tournaments. Otherwise small seems to be a universal preference? Does anyone have any other size preferences (like the long limbs of the tall Mii, min weight max height) or should we just rock with those two for Mii Brawler? As far as I'm concerned until something comes along to tell me that something else is how it has to be, size is as much a part of a Mii Fighter as moveset so it's important we clarify exactly what options are needed on size.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Our sets should be as follows:

2222 - side 2 ledge snaps and is decent at covering your recovery, but not something to be relied upon and is generally unnecessary

Everything else is irrelevant, however I legitimately cannot tell you what Side-3 does so I should look into that.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I do feel like, even with customs on, tournaments should require all mii fighters be Guest Miis with the default weight/height and that should be the standard

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm currently a fan of 1123. Foot Flurry makes a decent punish on all edge climb forms except for a roll, and the stall option is nice.

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
1132 needs to be on there for sure. As for weight, I use a slightly taller / slightly lighter mii.
I like to have speed and range, without being too light

RWB

Smash Ace
To summarize my understanding of Mii Brawler, the two most important sets moveset wise to include are:

As per side, so far I'm hearing that many people are used to guest miis because, um, it's often forced on them by tournaments. Otherwise small seems to be a universal preference? Does anyone have any other size preferences (like the long limbs of the tall Mii, min weight max height) or should we just rock with those two for Mii Brawler? As far as I'm concerned until something comes along to tell me that something else is how it has to be, size is as much a part of a Mii Fighter as moveset so it's important we clarify exactly what options are needed on size.
Assuming it's allowed, we should use a Mii with the size setting inbetween the first two lines on the mii size for 3DS.

This essentially gives you a bit better range and durability while keeping the great speed and jumps of the small mii.

But if we are locked into the extremes:

Biggest/Neutral/Smallest
Widest/Neutral/Thinnest

Smalles and Thinnest is pretty much always preferable for a Brawler.

Essentially, on a 5 point scale

Height
1-2-3-4-5

Weight
1-2-3-4-5

While on a 3 point scale

Height
1-2-3

Weight
1-2-3

Get it?

Our sets should be as follows:

Everything else is irrelevant, however I legitimately cannot tell you what Side-3 does so I should look into that.
Side 3 combos from D-throw for 18 total damage, and is a true combo until about 30%(Dunno how much DI can influence it). It's has a meteor hitbox and you can actually do some fun D-Throw->Meteor Side B 3 if you can get a grab by the ledge unlikely. It's also either a suicide meteor if you go offstage, or a hard to pull of ledgecanceled Meteor.

It's a relatively slow, but powerful Meteor that has a slight jump.

Also, it has two variants, one that's faster(press b while doing it to attack sooner, but get lower damage and knockback), and one that hits harder(it kills at about 100% without rage against Mario, and with some rage you are looking at kills somewhere in the 90% region even with DI, I believe). It's pretty much a hard read option. Not good, but not really terrible either. You can do some fun stuff with the it, but it's pretty much entirely inferior to both other options...

Last edited:

RWB

Smash Ace
Please delete, doublepost

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
@ RWB RWB Isn't is the case that range is only affected by height and that weight is barely affected either way? I know the gunner and swordfighter players mostly favor 1/4 height minimum width for that reason; extra width gives small amounts of damage and weight in exchange for significant hits to mobility while height gives extra range at the cost of move end lag which, in a small quantity, can actually be worth it. I know for Swordfighter and Gunner the extra range lets their moves hit Battlefield platforms as well as win "priority battles" in a ton of situations where smallest does not, a trade-off very much worth making.

If this style of build is optimal for all three Miis, that would be very convenient. We could just say 1/4 height min width for all Mii Fighters and standardize on that. Of course the community will have to reach that decision as a group, but that would have the big advantage of keeping things simple.

RWB

Smash Ace
@ RWB RWB Isn't is the case that range is only affected by height and that weight is barely affected either way? I know the gunner and swordfighter players mostly favor 1/4 height minimum width for that reason; extra width gives small amounts of damage and weight in exchange for significant hits to mobility while height gives extra range at the cost of move end lag which, in a small quantity, can actually be worth it. I know for Swordfighter and Gunner the extra range lets their moves hit Battlefield platforms as well as win "priority battles" in a ton of situations where smallest does not, a trade-off very much worth making.

If this style of build is optimal for all three Miis, that would be very convenient. We could just say 1/4 height min width for all Mii Fighters and standardize on that. Of course the community will have to reach that decision as a group, but that would have the big advantage of keeping things simple.
Honestly, I feel Jigglymaster(DaPuffster) would be the man to ask, since he is the premier Brawler.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
I'm not really sure if any one has suggested this yet but here goes... :urg:
I believe that 3-2-3-3 is a good pick. Mainly because Mii brawler can have two recoveries (Burning Drop Kick, Piston Punch). In addition, Mii can be close range with Exploding Side Kick and Foot Flurry.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
So something I wanted to ask about is, on 3DS Mii Maker, it's impossible to make a setting for 1/4 height or weight. It's possible to have it at one tick above or below, so for future reference do we want Miis one tick above or below when we're talking about 1/4 settings?

I'm gonna default it to below for now unless someone has a reason otherwise.

Edit: Okay this is weird, whenever I set a height or weight the slider seems to go down by a tick when I leave the screen and come back(this only happens once), so what I'm going to do is set it to one tick above 1/4 so it falls to one tick BELOW 1/4, in the event the optimal settings for a Mii involves 1/4 somewhere. Is that acceptable?

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
So I'm having the same problem I have with the Brawler as I do the Gunner and that is setting up kills. The current loadout I have used the most is 1222 and I just can't seem to get that last Up-B or Smash to seal the stock. I would go out and gimp but that's too risky with Helicopter Kick. What percents should I be looking at to seal a kill because I feel once they get above 100% it becomes quite a tedious challenge to get a kill.

RWB

Smash Ace
So I'm having the same problem I have with the Brawler as I do the Gunner and that is setting up kills. The current loadout I have used the most is 1222 and I just can't seem to get that last Up-B or Smash to seal the stock. I would go out and gimp but that's too risky with Helicopter Kick. What percents should I be looking at to seal a kill because I feel once they get above 100% it becomes quite a tedious challenge to get a kill.
Honestly, if you are having problems getting the kill at that point, I suggest you make Ultimate Uppercut one of your customs.

Kills reliably and has super armor, once you get the timing down you can use it to tear through an opponents attack and KO.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Yeah started using it last night really helps
Honestly, if you are having problems getting the kill at that point, I suggest you make Ultimate Uppercut one of your customs.

Kills reliably and has super armor, once you get the timing down you can use it to tear through an opponents attack and KO.
Yup I started using it last night it really helps!

lolreconlol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
boatv2
3DS FC
1934-1192-2911
I have no problem doing damage, but really struggling with the KO. What is the 'best' loadout people are using? I'm flipping between 1132 and 2122.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I have no problem doing damage, but really struggling with the KO. What is the 'best' loadout people are using? I'm flipping between 1132 and 2122.

1132 has long since passed in the Brawler meta. You yourself stated it's problem, no problem dealing damage, can't KO. Drop the awkward slow moving projectile for an extra kill move as well as trading for a more damaging and stronger up B and you'll find yourself having less of a problem killing.

Top Bottom