• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Mega Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodyslamurai

Smash Rookie
After a bit of experimentation, I've settled on 2331. The Hyper Bomb is not only great for discouraging approaches from the air against characters like JigglyPuff and Peach, but once you get used to the spacing, it's a fantastic edge guarding tool. It can hit right at the ledge or way down deep all in the same arc. Read someone rolling into your face for a tilt or smash? Throw the Hyper Bomb straight up and take a step back. It's just really versatile and fun to dish out. Danger Wrap is also great when recovering against a spike-happy opponent especially when paired up with the Beat recovery since you can follow right behind that lethal floating projectile. If an opponent is recovering from up high, the Danger Wrap can also be added to a fearsome juggling arsenal of U-Airs/Tilts/Smashes and Hyper Bombs. Lemons and powerful tilts are great against anyone who is able to squeeze past your bullet hell of explosive and deadly projectiles. It's just an all around fun moveset that I can't get enough of.

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
I've settled with 2332. 2331 and 2332 should be called "Untouchable Demolitions Expert".:chuckle:

I've found metal blade to be a little redundant, as Arm Cannon shots can trade/nullify projectiles just as well. They're faster than MB, and I just don't like the fact that people can pick up my special move and throw it back at me. You can spam Arm Cannon, you can't spam MB. Shadow Blade is cool in my book, since you can't pick it up and it sets up combos. The Metal Blade infinite stuff just doesn't interest me/doesn't seem very useful in competitive play.

Meanwhile, Hyper Bombs are a constant mindgame. I can do my usual routine, which is okay, but with Hyper Bombs, I can force the opponent to multitask, force them into a certain position, force them to shield or dodge. I can also ledge-guard them with supremity, forcing them to take a bomb to the face or dodge one and get hit by something else.

I've also found a redundancy with Crash Bomb and Ice Slasher. The former, because it only really can be used for shield pressure, and the latter because the state of being frozen was nerfed. But the biggest thing about Danger Wrap is that it gives you a kill move in the place of two specials that just don't cut it for that.

Meanwhile, Danger Wraps, in tandem with Air Shooter and Hyper Bombs, cover a MASSIVE area, thanks to arcing (U-Air excluded). Each one enables you to mindgame with another. I can throw out U-Airs when the opponent is directly above me, and then a Danger Wrap when they try to move to the side. I can throw a Hyper Bomb Forward to stop a ground approach, and then pop off a danger wrap when they try to get me from the air.

Beat is the icing on the cake, as he lets you recover from just about anywhere. You can cover your ass with a bomb or a wrap, and then fly, baby, fly. I am also just not a fan of any of the barriers, so Down-B is reserved solely as a "Defense against projectiles that I can't nullify with Arm Cannon".

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I haven't played with Beat enough, but I entirely agree with Hyper Bomb, especially paired with Danger Wrap. Hyper Bomb is amazing. I am so glad other players are seeing this now! I thought I was an insane loner!

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played with Beat enough, but I entirely agree with Hyper Bomb, especially paired with Danger Wrap. Hyper Bomb is amazing. I am so glad other players are seeing this now! I thought I was an insane loner!
No longer. We shall be.. the Mega MEN.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I also vote for 2332. I'm a believer, the mobility Beat gives you in a huge asset. And I already seconded allllll the stuff my bud said above. Can this count as a third-ed? Lol. :D

Edit: Sorry for the double post! I got over excited after trying out 2332 in about 20 matches against an amazing Link, my buddy "7."

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Am unsticky-ing this for now due to lack of activity/organizational purposes. A revamp also wouldn't hurt.

IMO: 1311 is the only must have set.

Greward

Smash Lord
agreed on 1311 being a must.

Danger wrap (side b 3) is better than the other 2 in almost all matchups. Mega Man needs more realiable killing options and danger wrap is a KO move not that hard to hit with not a lot of commitment. Crash Bomb is ok, Ice slasher feels underpowered (maybe it's useful in teams?)
I'd have at least one custom moveset with beat (up B 3) because it might be situationally prefered because of longer recovery (although its slower and more gimpable). Tornado Hold is cool but more of a gimmick, also has less recovery potential than the other 2, although maybe we can develop some cool strats with tornado hold because it can combo.
Metal blade is the best neutral B but i can see some people using shadow blade, although IMO its worse. Metal blade is just too good. Hyper Bomb feels kinda bad. I've tried to use it but skilled opponents are hardly hit by it, it has a lot of lag plus being slow and not being all that useful. I don't think it's much of an option for competitive play, while being ok if used situationally the loss of metal blade is not worth it imo.
Skull barrier is useful in some matchups (ROB) and I prefer leaf shield over flower shield, although I'm not sure which one is better.

If i were to go to a tournament, i would like to have these sets. Although I'm not sure whether leaf shield or flower shield is better, I prefer leaf shield as of now. Throwing the shield is not that bad with the 1.0.4 buff.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
A reminder: the definition of 'gimping' entails KOing
someone at a very low percent by messing up their recovery.

Megaman with Beat, though it can be somewhat easy to hit Megaman
out of it, he flat out will not die with it unless he screws up royally
or gets sent past the blast zone. (Unless there's something preventing
him from using it again right away after being hit that I'm not aware of?)

Perhaps one can avoid being bullied out of the slow startup
by going REALLY low before using it?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Beat is super easy to spike or just follow him out far enough that he can't make it back after a hit.

I mean, I could actually see its use in a matchup where the opponent will NEVER chase you offstage, but no others.

For my list, I would really like to see:

A. 1311 (the standard)
B. An Ice-Slasher centric one. Locke made some great points in another thread about its usefulness in regaining stage control against the slow zoney characters, and I gotta say it made a lot of sense, and works out in practice.
C. A Skull Barrier centric one (1112 would be my choice). I can see the uses for this, particularly in the Link and DHD matchups.

To me, those are 3 custom sets that are useful in very different matchups and should absolutely be included.

So that leaves us with Hyper Bomb, Shadow Blade, Plant Barrier, Beat, and Tornado Hold completely neglected. So we either have to shoe-horn these into the 3 above (this would be hard for A and C, which are nearly perfect sets considering the situations that you would use them. B could accept some, but it might devalue the Ice Slasher set if we're not careful), or carefully combine them into the remaining 3 slots.

End of the day, I think we're not going to be able to please everybody. there are too few slots to plug everything in, so I suggest we should be smart about the individual loadouts we choose... Consider how each loadout affects the matchup spread and ask "Is it redundant with another set?" and "Is it needed?". Combine things as possible and move on.

There are people who stand by Plant Barrier. I for one think it is in no way better than Leaf Shield, simply because of the startup time (which is already uncomfortably long at times with LS), so that's one I would personally like to leave off the table.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
metal blade, danger wrap, rush, and plantshield /skullshield are the optimal loadouts. Leafshield is near worthless in comparison to the other two; if you're ever throwing leaf shield then you are using it incorrectly. Plant shield's extra damage (and the fact that it doesn't disappear) is far superior for the rare times you use it. Skull shield is a must-have in any matchup with a projectile.

The plant shield -> footstool gimp is cute, but skull shield is still often a better choice. That reflect is instant.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Two things.

Leaf shield starts much faster than plant barrier, and even then is still too laggy to be useful up close in some situations. Plant barrier makes this even worse while reducing the amount of time that it is active and you can move, making the footstool harder if the opponent has an option other than jump towards stage.
The throwing projectile is not the best but it's a poke and decent edgeguarding tool. I don't believe plant barrier is overall more useful than leaf shield in any real way.
Also "for the rare times you use it" is discounting the benefit that LS gives in a number of matchups, including a large amount of use against Diddy, where the faster startup is nearly essential. Heck it's basically a staple of chillin's game now to always have a shield up, and while I don't agree with it, he's having success

Skull barrier is great against projectile heavy chars, but it's not worth the tradeoff in a number of matchups with characters of the "and they also have a projectile!" type (e.g. Fox, ZSS, etc)

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
So, I agree with the above that 1311 and 1112 are absolute must-haves. I'm okay with having Tornado Hold in with Ice Slasher since I think that goes well with the "control the stage" theme by putting opponents in a juggle position.

I'm also okay with a Hyper Bomb/Danger Wrap setup for when you absolutely positively want to blow someone the hell up (gives good surprise KO potential against players expecting to play the wait-it-out game against you on counterpick). Plant Barrier is good, but after they buffed the startup on Leaf Shield in 1.04, I don't think it's as good as LS in general to take up a significant number of our slots.

My vote goes for:
one plant barrier setup
one shadow blade setup

Part of me wants to say let's just smoosh our oddballs into one set with 3233, but if we're keeping the 2222 and 3333 sets, that's not big enough to warrant an entire new slot.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
I don't find Skull Barrier useful... I mean it's a limited time reflector that doesn't have instant startup... so you only get a reflect on prediction, really... Add to that the fact that you completely lose leafstooling/grabbing/utilt, and I don't consider it worth it.
Leaf shield vs Plant barrier is a preference thing... I let leaf shield win because it does what plant barrier does well enough for most matchups and the projectile is nice at times. So for me, there's a solid 1 in the last column.

Rush is better than the alternatives, so that's a 1 in the 2nd to last. I can see an argument for tornado hold but I'd never give up the options that Rush gives us for a worse recovery with a hitbox that we can cover better with dair, metal blade down, or just retreating nair.

For me, Crash Bomb and Danger wrap are useful in different scenarios, so 1/3 there. I'm not a huge fan of ice slasher.

Is hyper bomb useful? I think that's the million dollar question, and I plan to do some testing to find out. I think Shadow Blade has potential uses, but metal blade wins out. I'd go 1/3 there, but since I'm losing a kill move combo with metal blade, I'd only use shadow blade with Danger Wrap.

So for the setups that I would actually use in tournament under any circumstance:

1111 (included as default)

I'm changing my vote to only include those 2 (not counting vanilla), to allow room for other preferences.
skull barrier r*** villager. It actually reflects his dash attack, foward smash, rocket, and a lot of villager moves. You can put skull barrier and go for the grab and he can't do a thing.

I want to give my opinion about the whole custom moves thing:
First of all 1311 is must. but 1313 is a good alternative too. Plant barrier is superior to leaf shield in close combat, but if your opponent starts to run away from it and jumping or camping, you won't be able to catch him so leaf shield is way better to catch run away opponets. It can help when they steal your metal blade too.
Shadow blade i would never combine it with crash bomb, because you lost every single combo using crash bomb + air down diagonal metal blade for pressure or hell you lost one of the most epic combos from megaman (air diagonal down metal blade + Utilt)
Shadow blade is only good combined with danger warp in order to do the classic shadow blade grab/shadow blade danger warp combo, but if your opponent is a skilled player shadow blade will be useless because he can easily jump to avoid combos. (Rosalina and villager can get shadow blade as items too)
I think Beat, Shadow Blade and ice slasher are the worst moves, but shadow blade can have some good setups but still metal blade is 100% superior used by a more skilled player.
I recomend this rules:
Only use tornado hold if you are gonna use danger warp (danger warp can be used with rush coil too)
Use Hyper Bomb only with crash bomb, other wise forget abot Hyper Bomb. Also I recomend Plant barrier for this setup.
Use skull barrier only if you are against something that will get bodied by it, like villager.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Is Danger Wrap really that good?

I feel like crash bomber has too much potential for pressure, combos and recovery.

What does Danger do that Bair can't do anyway?

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64

I feel like crash bomber has too much potential for pressure, combos and recovery.

Danger Wrap shoots a rising projectile that does great damage, stops aerial approaches, controls space and has kill power. You can just throw one out and act quickly out of it so it can also negate a lot of their options for returning to the ledge. If they air dodge, punish with Bair.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman

when they ledge grab and try to recover danger warp catchs even sheik. If they jump constantly, danger warp beats everything (bair can be beaten while danger warp can't) Is the safest megaman's kill move and one of his best edge guard moves. Crash bomb is good and in the hands of a skilled player is dangerous, but danger warp kills easily and is safe. No pro player has discover his potential yet because customs are banned.

matthewpipie

Smash Rookie

Those cover most of the character playstyles

Last edited:

Kel

Smash Master
1312 Must be available.

This is my loadout and it covers all match ups. I posted examples of how I use the set in the video thread earlier.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
~~~~~~
--------------

Finally went through and did somewhat of a tally. The sets after the 2nd dividing line were all tied. 1311 is, of course, god tier.

Will try and get around to making a revamp thread later this week, hopefully with a poll.

Kel

Smash Master
Seriously, you guys are underestimating the effect that a reflector can have on match ups against projectile-based characters.

Has there been some crazy new leaf shield AT that I'm unaware of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom