• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Mega Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Welcome to the official Smashboards Standard Custom Set project. In brief, this project is designed to be a logistical solution to using custom movesets in tournaments by filling many of the in-game slots with the most popular and powerful sets for each character so they can be quickly selected without further 3ds import. This will allow tournaments with customizations on to save large amounts of time throughout the event. More details about the project's ideas and mission can be found here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/project-proposal-we-can-make-custom-moves-fast-easy-and-legal.379555/

Our goal here is to find out what the most popular and powerful sets are for your particular character the best way we know how: asking you the mains of this character. To be clear, we're not talking about disallowing any particular custom sets or even imposing any rules in general; we're talking about making sure the popular and powerful options are simply accessible quickly in a tournament environment as our sole mission. We need up to three critical sets that represent the best options your character has that have wide general utility and from there to fill up to slot 6 with supplemental movesets that will cover less mainstream, more match-up specific, or even teams sets. Slots 7 and 8 are reserved for 2222 and 3333 to allow all moves to be explored more easily in the new metagame, and slots 9 and 10 are left open for 3ds import of non-standard sets.

Please list all movesets in the order NSUD, that is neutral special, side special, up special, and down special. This four digit code will be the naming convention so players can quickly and easily identify which moveset is which.

I know for many characters the default moveset, 1111, is a powerful and useful option. However, it should not be included; the game allows default to be picked regardless of what custom options are prepared so including it does not add any additional options to players.

I further know that some characters may find six slots a large number to fill. Others may find six very limiting. Do your best to pick out the overall six most likely to be picked even if some good stuff has to be left on the table or if some more experimental sets have to be included to fill out six. Every set included is time saved in tournament when that set would be picked, and we want to make the best use we can of these slots.

I would ask that everyone please be respectful of each other's opinions; this game is young, and the metagame is still very much forming so we are likely to each perceive it differently. This project will be revisited throughout the game's lifespan and revised to properly include the most mainstream movesets at the time. What we want for now is what will be commonly selected for now, and don't worry, other options are not being discriminated against as those last two slots are left open for 3ds transfer for a reason. This first version of this project will be refined throughout the rest of the year, but I hope to have a very rough draft up and usable by December 5 so TOs who wish to use the results of this project will have something to plug in for that weekend's worth of events. Thank you for your cooperation in this project, and we look forward to making sure the most useful options are quickly available for your character under this system.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
As a reminder:

NSUD

Neutral:
1 - Metal Blade
2 - Hyper Bomb
3 - Shadow Blade

Side:
1 - Crash Bomber
2 - Ice Slasher
3 - Danger Wrap

Up:
1 - Rush Coil
2 - Tornado Hold
3 - Beat

Down:
1 - Leaf Shield
2 - Skull Barrier
3 - Plant Barrier

Will update the OP with a tally over time.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Agreed, definitely 1311

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
1311 - vanilla with danger wrap
3311 - shadow blade and danger wrap

Those would probably be my votes...

Last edited:

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
1113 easy.

Rosalina MU without Crash Bomber is a lot harder.

Plant Barrier is SO much better than LS. I never miss a leafstool with it because of the bigger size and enhanced durability , and even if I do miss the footstool itself but the leaves clip the opponent they usually end up getting gimped anyways. AND it can clank with projectiles.

Last edited by a moderator:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not to be a nitpicker or anything, but in the game
Skull Barrier is number 2 and Plant Barrier number 3.

Unless it's different on Wii U?

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
My bad, didn't have my game with me so I was going off of Smash Wiki.

@ Fenrir VII Fenrir VII May want to go back through your votes and check you put down the right D-Special.

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink

I think this is the best I can offer for my votes. I generally prefer vanilla, but if I would change things to help me out in other MUs, this is probably what I'd use (and what I did until we started using no customs...)

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I think Skull Barrier should be included a bit, as it helps deal with ROB (and probably other zoners that out-zone us, but ROB is the only one I can think of at the moment)

Metal Blade is probably going to be in most sets, Danger Wrap is a viable alternative to Crash Bomber, but I don't think Ice Slasher will really be used. Likewise, Rush and Tornado Hold are both viable, but I don't see Beat becoming too viable.

So, what we're looking at is
1,[1,3],[1,2],[1,2,3]

Still more than six, and that's even discounting Shadow Blade. Mega Man has some major diversity in his kit, this isn't going to be easy. That being said, here's my choices.

1311 is an absolute given, Danger Wrap is just a solid move all around.
1321 is also useful for a more aerial-focused setup
1323 is a close-ranged focused build with Plant Barrier and Danger Wrap's low horizontal range
1112 is the counter-zoner setup. Priority Blades to eat most projectiles, Crash Bomb forces shields to make for an easier approach, and Rush gives a fast, easy out to zone walls, and Skull Barrier gives us a ground approach against certain characters.
1113 it's very clear that Leaf Shield is the weak link on our moveset, this replaces it with Plant Barrier
1123 Tornado Hold and Plant Barrier, for when you're against an opponent that refuses to go into the air for Danger Wrap.

I'm nowhere near good enough at the game to be the final word, so I'm open to criticism. I know that the lack of Shadow Blades and Hyper Bombs is a point of contention, but I've never seen much tech with them.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I'm starting to really enjoy Ice Slasher. Super rewarding on hit as it gives you complete stage control, which is something none of Mega Man's projectiles easily do (danger wrap does, but it's not a straight mid-range tool).

I haven't used plant barrier at all, mostly because I like the versatility of Leaf Shield, since a lot of peoples answer to me firing it up is to camp me out (since I have very few options). Skull has its uses, so even though I don't use it much I think I should in some matchups (But I generally encourage camping against me as I'd rather them play defensive against my own camping pressure)

The ones I run with: (I mostly play default with default colors)
1112, 1211, 1311, 1212, and 1312. I'll also put a vote in for 3111 since I've heard people do cool things with Shadow Blade (Not my cup of tea though)

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I don't find Skull Barrier useful... I mean it's a limited time reflector that doesn't have instant startup... so you only get a reflect on prediction, really... Add to that the fact that you completely lose leafstooling/grabbing/utilt, and I don't consider it worth it.
Leaf shield vs Plant barrier is a preference thing... I let leaf shield win because it does what plant barrier does well enough for most matchups and the projectile is nice at times. So for me, there's a solid 1 in the last column.

Rush is better than the alternatives, so that's a 1 in the 2nd to last. I can see an argument for tornado hold but I'd never give up the options that Rush gives us for a worse recovery with a hitbox that we can cover better with dair, metal blade down, or just retreating nair.

For me, Crash Bomb and Danger wrap are useful in different scenarios, so 1/3 there. I'm not a huge fan of ice slasher.

Is hyper bomb useful? I think that's the million dollar question, and I plan to do some testing to find out. I think Shadow Blade has potential uses, but metal blade wins out. I'd go 1/3 there, but since I'm losing a kill move combo with metal blade, I'd only use shadow blade with Danger Wrap.

So for the setups that I would actually use in tournament under any circumstance:

1111 (included as default)

I'm changing my vote to only include those 2 (not counting vanilla), to allow room for other preferences.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Skull barrier really needs to be somewhere. In a meta game with custom moves, we'll have to deal with things like Power Bow Link. We need a reflector in there.

I'll suggest 1313.

Last edited:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
The thing about Skull Barrier is that it's a projectile deterrent. You're not really hoping to reflect anything with it, but you throw it up whenever you have bit of breathing room and they effectively can't use projectiles until it's gone. You can use it to gain a favorable position against someone like ROB or DHD who's just gonna huck gyros or cans at you until you die. Any move that forces the opponent to do something they weren't planning on doing is a good move in my book.

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
1311 one with Danger wrap
1121 one with Tornado hold
1321 Danger Wrap + Tornado Hold

That's all I care about

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Now that Rush Cancelling is gone, Tornado Hold is really starting to grow on me. It's actually not a terrible OOS option, and being able to drop this giant vertical hitbox whenever I want is just swell when it comes to edgeguarding and stage control.

And Tornado Hold + Danger Wrap is just brutal for edgeguarding. You run or jump off stage, pop them up with Tornado Hold before they grab the edge or air dodge, then finish them off with Danger Wrap, which seems undodgeable in the initial frames where it travels nice and slow.

Right now my preferred loadout is either 1321 or 1323. Still trying to figure out whether I prefer Leaf Shield or Plant Barrier now that they've been buffed.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
I'm surprised by the lack of Shadow Blade love in this discussion. That move is the bread and butter of my builds, as it feels to me to be wholly superior to Metal Blade in virtually every way other than range. It's unpunishable on block, consistently covers more zoning, holds opponents in place for longer on hit, and for the love of Dr. Light isn't completely shut down by your opponent pressing A.

I use 3312 as a close-range pressure build, and it puts in some work.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I'm surprised by the lack of Shadow Blade love in this discussion. That move is the bread and butter of my builds, as it feels to me to be wholly superior to Metal Blade in virtually every way other than range. It's unpunishable on block, consistently covers more zoning, holds opponents in place for longer on hit, and for the love of Dr. Light isn't completely shut down by your opponent pressing A.

I use 3312 as a close-range pressure build, and it puts in some work.
I'd agree with you if not for the fact that you can pick up and throw/drop Metal Blade for 5-15% damage, depending on how many times it hits. And it does just the right amount of knock back to set up into a lot of different follow-ups. This is obscenely good for a projectile that Mega Man can generate and get in his hands fairly easily.

IMO Metal Blade is one of the best character-generated items in the game, and gives MM a lot of approach and combo options. I think Shadow Blade has potential to be a pretty great set-up move, too, but I'm still skeptical that it's worth trading all these awesome MB item techs.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Ice Slasher/Skull Barrier thread is up. Please consider reading before writing them off and casting your votes.

#SkullMan4President

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
I'd agree with you if not for the fact that you can pick up and throw/drop Metal Blade for 5-15% damage, depending on how many times it hits. And it does just the right amount of knock back to set up into a lot of different follow-ups. This is obscenely good for a projectile that Mega Man can generate and get in his hands fairly easily.

IMO Metal Blade is one of the best character-generated items in the game, and gives MM a lot of approach and combo options. I think Shadow Blade has potential to be a pretty great set-up move, too, but I'm still skeptical that it's worth trading all these awesome MB item techs.
I have honestly never found any of the item techs particularly useful with Metal Blade. I've watched tourney videos of MM players and I see them do all this fancy set-up and time wasting to get the thing in their hands, only to ultimately fling it at the opponent once and do about as much damage as a single F-air. And none of that extra damage is worth the horrible weakness of it getting snatched out of the air 80% of the time by a dash attack and being used against you with the exact level of effectiveness.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I have honestly never found any of the item techs particularly useful with Metal Blade. I've watched tourney videos of MM players and I see them do all this fancy set-up and time wasting to get the thing in their hands, only to ultimately fling it at the opponent once and do about as much damage as a single F-air. And none of that extra damage is worth the horrible weakness of it getting snatched out of the air 80% of the time by a dash attack and being used against you with the exact level of effectiveness.
Hence why I feel Shadow Blade has a leg-up against rushdown
characters.

But Metal Blade's range is real. Being an item,
at the very least, gives more options with barriers.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Considering all of the metal blade killing setups, from metal blade > utilt and zdrop > edgeguard etc ... I think it's obviously our #1 neutral b in MOST matchups. I did actually vote for a 3311 setup, which is yours with leaf shield rather than Skull Barrier, which imo is more useful in MOST matchups.

Considering we have only 6 slots to work with, we'll need to fudge some builds together to make everything work. The problem here is Crash Bomber and Danger Wrap being mostly interchangeable, and people having different opinions on Down and Up B.

What I'm thinking for a setup (note that this isn't an official vote by me but rather an attempt to steer the conversation.

1111 is included by default
1. 1311 is completely obvious as DW has use in some matchups that CB does not, and Mega's vanilla setup is so good.
2. 3311 is the only Shadow blade setup that I would include. DW gives a killmove so we don't miss the MB setups as much

Here's where it gets tricky. I feel like @ Locke 06 Locke 06 makes excellent points for the inclusion of 1 Ice Slasher and 1 Skull Barrier build. Based on my posts in the thread he posted, my preferred setups with those would be Vanilla setups with each of those moves subbed in (I'd like to hear any counters that anybody has on this), so that would give:

3. 1211 Vanilla with IS
4. 1112 Vanilla with SB

So that leaves 2 more setups. While it's not my cup of tea, I would like to include Tornado Hold in one, because I can definitely see its uses. From what I have tested and heard, TH seems to work exceptionally well with DW, so my "standard" Tornado Hold setup would be:

5. 1321 Danger Wrap and Tornado Hold.

That leaves a 6th spot. Honestly I'm mixed on what this should be and am open to ideas. I could see including a Hyper Bomb setup if we can find uses for it... or possibly a Beat setup. Maybe another multi-setup like Shadow Blade + TH + DW... idk I'm open to arguments here.

now obviously I'm completely excluding Plant Barrier here. This is mainly because PB and LS are SUCH similar moves that I really don't see the need to include both with such limited spots available. To me, LS seems to have less lag on startup (not sure), and does 90% of what PB can do while also giving the option of a (shockingly decent) projectile. If we could significantly say that Plant Barrier is straight up better than Leaf Shield for the majority of matchups, than I would simply completely replace all Leaf Shields in the setup above with Plant Barrier... as it is, I don't think we should burn extra spots to include both of them.

I'm done. What do you guys think about this strategy?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Considering all of the metal blade killing setups, from metal blade > utilt and zdrop > edgeguard etc ... I think it's obviously our #1 neutral b in MOST matchups. I did actually vote for a 3311 setup, which is yours with leaf shield rather than Skull Barrier, which imo is more useful in MOST matchups.

Considering we have only 6 slots to work with, we'll need to fudge some builds together to make everything work. The problem here is Crash Bomber and Danger Wrap being mostly interchangeable, and people having different opinions on Down and Up B.

What I'm thinking for a setup (note that this isn't an official vote by me but rather an attempt to steer the conversation.

1111 is included by default
1. 1311 is completely obvious as DW has use in some matchups that CB does not, and Mega's vanilla setup is so good.
2. 3311 is the only Shadow blade setup that I would include. DW gives a killmove so we don't miss the MB setups as much

Here's where it gets tricky. I feel like @ Locke 06 Locke 06 makes excellent points for the inclusion of 1 Ice Slasher and 1 Skull Barrier build. Based on my posts in the thread he posted, my preferred setups with those would be Vanilla setups with each of those moves subbed in (I'd like to hear any counters that anybody has on this), so that would give:

3. 1211 Vanilla with IS
4. 1112 Vanilla with SB

So that leaves 2 more setups. While it's not my cup of tea, I would like to include Tornado Hold in one, because I can definitely see its uses. From what I have tested and heard, TH seems to work exceptionally well with DW, so my "standard" Tornado Hold setup would be:

That leaves a 6th spot. Honestly I'm mixed on what this should be and am open to ideas. I could see including a Hyper Bomb setup if we can find uses for it... or possibly a Beat setup. Maybe another multi-setup like Shadow Blade + TH + DW... idk I'm open to arguments here.

now obviously I'm completely excluding Plant Barrier here. This is mainly because PB and LS are SUCH similar moves that I really don't see the need to include both with such limited spots available. To me, LS seems to have less lag on startup (not sure), and does 90% of what PB can do while also giving the option of a (shockingly decent) projectile. If we could significantly say that Plant Barrier is straight up better than Leaf Shield for the majority of matchups, than I would simply completely replace all Leaf Shields in the setup above with Plant Barrier... as it is, I don't think we should burn extra spots to include both of them.

I'm done. What do you guys think about this strategy?
If there's one thing that can put the opponent in danger of Hyper
Bombs, it's Ice Slasher IMO.

Hence, I made the set 2212. A set designed to spam
around spam. Hyper Bombs arc over projectiles, while SB
deters the rest. Since Bombs can be caught, you can
use them in conjuction with your barriers.

Once you get in mid-range, you can play with lemons
and Ice Slasher, which if it hits puts in prime position to be
threatened by more Hyper Bombs.

Shame we can't run Slasher and Danger Wrap on the same set.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Shame we can't run Slasher and Danger Wrap on the same set.
THIS. RIGHT HERE. THIS MAN KNOWS MY STRUGGLE.

Edit: I haven't used Hyper Bombs at all... Been too caught up with other things. Sounds really cool how you describe it.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
@ Fenrir VII Fenrir VII , while I generally prefer LS in most matchups, I'd argue that Plant Barrier has its place in certain matchups.

PB has a slower start up and doesn't travel as far when thrown, two things that make it less useful than LS in match ups where your opponent has projectiles and/or quick speed. In exchange, though, you get a barrier that will clank with more powerful attacks and that makes stuff like Leafstooling easier. Also, its "undulations" outward make it good against taller characters with swords and other disjoints.

In other words, I think there's an argument to be made that it's a good option to take against projectile-less, big, slow, and/or powerful guys like :4bowser: :4dk: :4ganondorf::4shulk: :4myfriends:, and to a lesser extent :4marth: :4lucina: :4falcon:. Might be useful to put PB in a slot dedicated to taking on these characters.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Problem I'm currently having is platforms making hyper bombs essentially useless except very close up. I like them in theory for the peanut popgun-like edgeguarding uses and such.

In practice, I have issues making it any more useful than metal blade.

I'm hesitant to throw it on a setup with ice slasher because you're choosing the 2 laggy options, but maybe it could be good.

I also want to point out that 2222 will be included by default, so that may be close enough to make @ meleebrawler meleebrawler happy

@ ChopperDave ChopperDave , the matchups you listed line up well with the ones we're intending ice slasher for... Maybe trade LS out for PB on moveset 3? Any concerns with that?

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
@ ChopperDave ChopperDave , the matchups you listed line up well with the ones we're intending ice slasher for... Maybe trade LS out for PM on moveset 3? Any concerns with that?
I haven't played around with Ice Slasher at all, but based on what Locke 06 says that sounds like it could be legit.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
@ Locke 06 Locke 06 , you agree that '1213 - Ice Slasher and Plant Barrier' is an agreeable moveset for the space-controlling "rushdown" type characters that you are trying to address with IS? Seems like a pretty good setup to me for the Ganon/Bowser/Marth style characters.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I'm mixed on plant barrier. I haven't given leaf shield or that much dedicated time as they just don't fit what I like to do as Mega Man. I'll trust you guys on the distinction between the two. I will say that the versatility of LS has always made me favor it over PB... But I haven't used PB in at least a month.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'm in the same boat. I typically say that Leaf shield essentially fills the same uses that Plant Barrier does + gives a projectile (which is a nice edgeguarding option at the very least).

Hm I'll leave that one alone for now but list it as 1211/3 for now because I can see how PB is a good choice there.

My proposed list:

1. 1311 Vanilla with Danger Wrap
2. 3311 Shadow Blade+Danger Wrap
3. 1211/3 Vanilla with Ice Slasher or Ice Slasher+Plant Barrier
4. 1112 Vanilla with Skull Barrier
6. ???

Looking at this, you have the kill-set, the all mid-range zoning set, the anti-rushdown set, the reflecting set, and the vertical control set.

The other possible combinations to fill the 6th space would be a Hyper Bomb set, a Beat set, or another combination of moves already included.
My question to you guys... is there any moveset that is objectively better than any of the 5 I have there?
also what is your vote for 6th, considering we are tying to cover all preferences (impossible) with 6 movesets, and 1111,2222, and 3333 are all included by default?

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
If people like plant barrier, there's not a whole lot of sets with it. 1113 might be strong candidate for slot 6.

I'm on board with that list for now (due to my preference of LS over PB). Going over matchups, I can't think of any that I would take 1212 (ice slasher and skull barrier). However, I think the plant barrier/leaf shield debate is one worth having.

Keep in mind, Ice Slasher and Skull Barrier are very young in terms of development. Even the person who is advocating it has only been using it for a week (and not even very much). This is true for all the customs as the default set has been developed a lot more than any of the customs. Ice slasher with hyper bomb might end up being an awesome combo and preferred by a lot of players.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
And remember, having a hyper bomb in hand allows you
to throw it faster when you need it. It arcs the same
way as it would when normally thrown.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
From Reddit:

Why can't I hold all these RM weapons? I mean, pretty much anything that doesn't have Ice Slasher can work for Mega Man. I guess these are what the sets would be.

•Critical: 3113 (for big targets/disjointed hitbox characters), 2322 (anti-camper build), 1331 (allows for ballsier edge-guards)

•Supplemental: 2113 (trap character build), 1333 (I'm sure there's a reason besides feeling like a strong build, but I don't know what), 3123 (anti-RosaLuma build)
-6 upvotes

Danger Wrap is really not to be underestimated. It has a LOT more knockback than any of Megs' other projectiles and a lot of his other attacks for that matter. Great for opponents coming in overhead. Can get some surprisingly low kills.
-5 upvotes

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
With the shear number of possibilities, I think we're probably going to need to identify "styles" for each of the slots and just vote on preference of which moveset fits that best.
Ice Slasher shouldn't be ignored (dangit Locke) for midrange options.

Again I think LS and PB are mostly interchangeable and come down to preference. I think LS gives more options and PB has possibly more potential against slower chars and some recoveries. I do not want to repeat movesets just to give a LS one AND a PB one.

Looking at that list... 3113 is similar enough to 3311 that we can vote on those (possibly compromising with 3313 which would actually make sense to me). I know Crash Bomb and DW are not very similar but they're both excellent and I feel the DW fits the short-range set a bit better.
2322 is interesting as an anti-camper, but I'm wondering why you would give up Metal blade AND crash bomber, which trade/beat nearly everything. Also the choice of Tornado Hold is odd there, imo. Maybe we can vote on this vs other Skull Barrier sets to determine an "optimum" one for accomplishing the anti-camping purpose.

1331/3 is a beat setup. I'm fine with that if people want it for 6 or can argue that it's better than the 5 we have.

2113 is a hyper bomb setup. Again this is an option for 6.. it'll be hard to fit both Beat and Hyper Bomb into the list without significant testing (unless we just want to throw them together and screw everybody. lol)

3123. Maybe we can vote on the best Anti-Rosa one, but again you're giving up other slots that might be useful for several matchups to have one that is arguably better in one.
I actually wouldn't agree that Shadow Blade is better than metal, even with her ability to Down B catch it.

So things I think we need to vote on for now (there will be others)...

1. Leaf Shield or Plant Barrier?
A. Leaf Shield for all setups
B. Plant Barrier for all setups
C. Leaf Shield for standard setups. Plant Barrier for "close-range" setups (with Shadow Blade, Ice Slasher, etc)
D. Write-in

2. Optimal B moves for Skull Barrier setup (anti-camp/spam)?
Neutral..................................Side..........................................Up
A. Metal Blade.....................A. Crash Bomb.......................A. Rush
B. Hyper Bomb....................B. Ice Slasher.........................B. Tornado Hold
C. Shadow Blade................C. Danger Wrap....................C. Beat

So my votes...
1. I would personally say A, although I can see the merit of C. Again, this is a preference thing so I'm ok with both options (but not B as LS is very good as a projectile in certain matchups)

2. Neutral should be Metal Blade imo. Bomb arcs over other projectiles which is cool, but on platform stages, you essentially won't be able to spam back at them. Metal blade is fast and trades with most projectiles, among it's other uses.
Side should be Crash Bomb imo. This is mostly matchups... a number of chars that I would use skull barrier against have standing items that crash bomb explodes on (this includes DHD's gunmen, Villager's Tree, Pacman's hydrant, Luma, etc) so if I'm choosing just one, it's CB.
Up should be Rush imo. It should always be rush, imo unless you want that TH > DW combo (which I have a setup for already). The 2nd bounce options put you above your opponent's projectiles, allowing you to send blades downward (see Iggy's 3DS videos for examples), giving us our best anti-spam option.

So for me, I'd go 1112, which is a setup I have included.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Maybe it'd be better to just reopen the Wily Tower thread? This thread is hard enough to keep track of with all the votes, but proposals/debates, I don't know. If you're voting, try and make it clear.

A. Leaf Shield for all setups
C. Leaf Shield for standard setups. Plant Barrier for "close-range" setups (with Shadow Blade, Ice Slasher, etc)
Either of these IMO. Depends on how popular PB is.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
For an anti-spam skull barrier setup, I really think that 1112 is the best. Metal Blades and Crash Bombs cut out a lot of projectiles from a lot of characters, and with Rush, you can take to the air permanently and rain metal blades.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I wish Skull Barrier at least did something else other than reflect stuff, when circling around Megs.
It should do like 1% damage and inflict minor stun.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wish Skull Barrier at least did something else other than reflect stuff, when circling around Megs.
It should do like 1% damage and inflict minor stun.
It does 2% when you throw it. Giving it any damage
when circling would probably make it blatantly superior
to the others.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Kel and I both played Megaman in a 50 man tournament yesterday, got 1st/2nd; we didn't get to finish the tournament and split (him in winners grand, me in losers grand).... but were both megaman anyway!

We both used 1312 the majority of the event. I used 1313 against non-projectile characters.

Leaf shield is near worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom