• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Discussion Thread: Lylat Cruise

Esca

Smash Champion
Wow, can we talk about Brinstar? Oh yeah, banana'sn bounce on the little breakingblock things 5 times then stop, so that can also help.

Player-1

Smash Legend
So some things about Diddy on brinstar:

The stage has kinda a caged effect on bananas. You have those two things you can break attached to those 2 platforms. The wall things make it so bananas can't fall off the stage which is pretty good. It has low ceilings and all that so Diddy doesn't have too much of a hard time killing on here, you can peanut people that get on the platforms. The bananas also bounce on the thing in the middle so you can mess with characters spacing. If you're standing on the thing in the middle you need to jump to get out of it so be careful when versing people with good ranged, powerful smashes like DK. Same thing applies to other people though, if you can get them on there you can punish it with Ftilts and Fsmashs. If you're forced onto a platform then Down throw glidetossing to a dsmash is pretty good to land a smash because it's pretty small.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
what are some good follow ups for after/before forcing your opponent into the lava? o-o i like to dash attack>sh>dair them into it but what are some other fun ways to mess with ur opponents body o-o

Player-1

Smash Legend
Haven't been able to get a Brinstar match this whole week so I was kind of waiting on that but I'll move on to Norfair.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
norfair. the platform guys best friend :3. i like this stage cuase i can manuever myself wherever whenever, but it may seem like im being limited here from the lack of combo space. diddy can utilze the platforms to his advantage, he can place nanas in certain locations or throw them "randomly" to the other side for later pick up. aerial game here becomes a huge part of this map. best way to kill here i find besides spiking (while someone is jumping platform to platform), is a classic fthrow or bthrow into the lava :3. i would cp this stage why not. i wouldnt cp this against any pit tho >_<

zyzzx

Smash Cadet
Norfair is awesome... I like playing there because its fun, not sure how well I actually do there tho. I don't feel very limited or notice any huge issues, besides the lack of ground space to combo with bananas. Using side-b to go back and forth between the ledges is awesome tho, and spiking your opponent when they try to get you. The stages sides are fairly short, so that works well since most of diddy's kill moves are sideways... But I guess its fairly small overall.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Norfair is awesome for characters with decent recoverys and good aerial games. G&W really shines here, and its also a decent Kirby Stage.

As for playing on it with Diddy- Little Nana room. Your really going to need to play pretty well to beat a decent opponent, as this stage doesnt really offer Diddy as much as it does other characters. Watch out for the 2 mentioned above (G&W and Kirby), and Pit, Ness, and Lucas(somewhat). These characters can all use this stage to their advantage. Pit can Spam arrows and shark, G&W can bair your FACE OFF (happened to me :(), Ness and Kirby have great maneuverability on this stage, and a decent Lucas is really hard to kill on this stage (and watch out if your above him, this is one of the few stages where he can safely U-smash).

Yea if someone counters with Norfair and I had been playing diddy, Im glad I main Lucas.

CrAzYdRuNk

Smash Cadet
Norfair can be played well with bananas if played correctly. On Norfair I stay mostly on the bottom platform, except for when I chase (which I don't do that much) or I'm violently trying to get there. That way, bananas work for when they try to approach from above (people seem to want to approach from platforms, I don't know why.) I can stay below them and Uthrow my bananas.

Watch AZ's tournament vids against Snakeee on Norfair. That was an awesome example of how to play Norfair.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
banana gameplay is good and all. but lets see norfair without our bananas. clearly characters have an advantage against us naturally.

but what we have that they dont is
speed+ versitility of moves + changing of defensive to offensive playstyles quickly = win.

diddy can be good on this stage without bananas. just seriously have to be cautious of where u and ur next location will be. btw. DO NOT GET INTO THE ****. and NO THE LAVA IS NOT PRETTY TO LOOK AT O_<

distractions kill *sad face : '< *

Player-1

Smash Legend
Well I wouldn't go around CPing MK, G&W, or ZSS here, but it doesn't hurt too much. Banana game is limited, but not destroyed. Peanuts are pretty useful on this stage when they're on platforms above you, and using the banana pluck as an attack when opponents are on higher platforms than you is good to. Camping the middle platform works pretty well as you saw in the AZ Vs Snakeee vids. Oh, and if you smash banana pluck from the bottom middle platform, it goes all the way to the top. Don't ever go into the capsul for safety because you can be punished because some attacks go through the capsul and basically trap you. Let you opponent go in, or if you feel confident go in with your opponent with bananas, but some good move to hit throw the capsul for Diddy are Ftilt, Uair, and you can barrel into the capsul if it's on one of the higher platforms if you postion yourself on the far right/left of the platform below it. You can also plank the edge if you need to, midair jump the edge to go up and side-b to get down. Aerial is game is pretty good here, but you'll still get ***** by better aerial game. I <3 going down the platforms while Uairing or bairing.

Oh, and don't get hit by the lava.

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
Well I wouldn't go around CPing MK, G&W, or ZSS here.
Might want to add Olimar to that list.

The platforms allow for many chances to juggles, and this is one of the few stages where getting gimped is rarely a problem. The key here is using Diddy's agility, moving from one platform to another, landing hits in those moments where you come into contact then get on the move again.

As for the lava. When it rises(comes from the bottom), jump from one of the farthest platforms to the other, even if you have to use the rocket barrels and monkey flip. When it's coming from the side, jump from edge to edge, Uair the opponent(s) if you have to. If it's in streams, like long sections, shielding it works, but forcing people to move towards them can be effective. If it's the lava wave, use the rocket barrels' to take advantage of the capsule's solid structure as if it were LM's ceilings, of course you do that when you're inside.

Uhhh, naner game is bad here compared to most other stages. Peanut spamming pressures people and lava surrounding helps plenty. Movement counts if you don't make the wrong move and SD or fall into the lava.

Adetque

Smash Apprentice
The platforms allow for many chances to juggles, and this is one of the few stages where getting gimped is rarely a problem. The key here is using Diddy's agility, moving from one platform to another, landing hits in those moments where you come into contact then get on the move again.
So you're saying use a hit-and-run strategy on Norfair?

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
If you have have low exp. there, yes.

I had a bad run-in with an Olimar player there so I switch to someone else every time I'm CPed. >.<

I don't know. I only had about 7 matches in Norfair with Diddy, after I lost the last I gave up. It's just not my stage...

Player-1

Smash Legend
Well I've been trying to get a decent video of Brinstar and Norfair but no one CPs me there =(. Anyway I'll update this with Lylat Cruise

BoRn

Smash Apprentice
i do extremely well on brinstar vs a few characters. The ones i have trouble with so far on bs(lol) is kirby and mario. I think with their airgame and grab comboes its hard to maintain good footing to keep control of the center of the stage. I do really well against wario there though. Those are the only chAracters ive played there. Bananas on the part the breaks in the middle bounce a few times and create a wall which can be helpful. I may ban that stage for the most part on aeral characters.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well I think its good but not the best. The three low platforms prevent banana locks meaning you can only chain at most two bananas. Also, the slants at the sides hurt his banana game even more. You have to be relatively close to the opponent when you throw your bananas, otherwise, theyll just slide on the ground/land in front of you. This makes banana comboing a lot riskier because you have to be so close to your opponent. But this is only true if your throwing from the sides; if you throw from the center, Diddy actually gets an advantage because the bananas travel further because of the slant. Personally, I beleive BF is a better stage despite them being very similar (no slants and high platform in middle allows longer banana locking)
Just wanted to add my two cents to the discussion ^_^

fZk

Smash Lord
I get caught under this stage a lot more than in any other statge. Doing a side-b juast as the stage slants up can be dangerous. Also when recovering from underneath the stage, one has to be directly beneath the edges, otherwise you will crash into the stage. Diddy's banana game also suffers quite a bit in this stage due to the slanting.

Overall, not a terrible stage, but any other flat stage with platforms is better.

BoRn

Smash Apprentice
The main thing i hate about the stage is the edges. Wat i learned there is the safest way to recover with up b is to no aim at the corner of the stage but to aim at the sweet spot by over shooting the edge a bit, aiming for the space next to the edge. I stay on stage alot more and try to use up b less on lylatt. I do like the space between each platform. U can stand under a platform and pull bananas the land on the main level instead of the platforms. Also at certain angles u cant see bananas on a platform. People tend to stay out of eye lvl range with diddy cause of the banana game. This will force them to space and resort to platforms. When your opponent lands on an banana waiting on a platform he failed to notice cause of the low veiwing angle, it sets them up a perfect fair oppertunity. And who doesnt love a good fair at high damage and hearing them complain about the juicyness of your fruit. :)

Top Bottom