• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenki

Smash Hero
first four moves were actually all fillers.

I've already tested them/have an idea of when/how to use them.

the off-stage side-B is what I'm really getting at though.

- Invincy frames to counter possible aerials
- If you get hit, you still have your double jump (plus it's easier to DI if you're charging side-B, especially if you have TJ off)
- If they DJ airdodge, you can DJ B-air (..!)
- Footstool if you get to their head (that is, their character's head height) - ***** people who are trying to 'tip' their recovery spacing by falling low, or if they don't have double jump.

/lol

Tenki

Smash Hero
lulz, awesome technique name imo
Okay.

If you can successfully get yourself on video using side-B to force a DJ airdodge on a recovering person and DJ B-air, we'll name it after you.

lmao

djbrownair

how dirty.

dirty brown air.

and also, a dirty move + stage spike <3

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I use that on CPU's its rather fun.
Only issue is if the opponent is falling, its great for an early intercept.
ISJ~>spindash~>Bair

Quick, travels far, if the opponents tries to airdodge or anything they can be punished with an aerial.

Tenki

Smash Hero
What's funnier is if you RAR > FF grab.

shield that.

edit:
well, not RAR, but face backwards before you jump. Some people don't see Sonic RAR's :/

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
After reading this letter, you will never again be able to trust the mods of SWF and you will see with crystal clarity the way that it is in its nature to be a deceiver and a destroyer and a bloodsucker. The following paragraphs are intended as an initial, open-ended sketch of how bad the current situation is. The mods of SWF says that it wants to make life better for everyone. Lacking a coherent ideology, however, the mods of SWF always ends up destroying our moral fiber. The fact that the mods of SWF is apt to respond to this letter in the same emotional way that a devout Christian in the 15th century might have responded to someone who announced publicly that he didn't believe in the virgin birth is distressing, to say the least.

The mods of SWF claim that individual worth is defined by race, ethnicity, religion, or national origin. Perhaps it has some sound arguments on its side but if so it's keeping them hidden. I'd say it's far more likely that no matter what else we do, our first move must be to educate everyone about how it would not be out of character for the mods of SWF to sully my reputation. That's the first step: education. Education alone is not enough, of course. We must also let it know, in no uncertain terms, that the crux of the issue is that its refrains are not normal.

Call me a cynic, but I, hardheaded cynic that I am, like to speak of the mods of SWF as "saturnine". That's a reasonable term to use, I avouch, but let's now try to understand it a little better. For starters, by brainwashing its idolators with oligarchism, it makes them easy to lead, easy to program, and easy to enslave. One of the enduring effects of the mods of SWF's ****-and-bull stories is surely the way they will stigmatize any and all attempts to contribute to the intellectual and spiritual health of the body politic. I may not be perfect, but at least I'm not afraid to say that if the mods of SWF can't stand the heat, it should get out of the kitchen. The mods of SWF divides the organization of its meretricious, catty undertakings into two halves that, apparently separate from one another, in truth, form an inseparable whole. The first half seeks to bombard us with an endless array of hate literature, while the second half is yet another unimaginative blend of self-centered Chekism and tactless denominationalism.

Let us postulate that humorless Machiavellians are deeply impressed by the mods of SWF's guff. In that case, the mods of SWF just keeps on saying, "We don't give a [expletive deleted] about you. We just want to disparage and ridicule our traditional heroes and role models."

To be sure, when the mods of SWF repeated over and over the rumor that the ancient Egyptians used psychic powers to build the pyramids, its spokesmen, never too difficult to fool, swallowed it, but if the human race is to survive on this planet, we will have to open students' eyes, minds, hearts, and souls to the world around them. If the mods of SWF got its way, it'd be able to create an atmosphere of mistrust in which speculations and rumors gain the appearance of viability and compete openly with more carefully considered theories. Brrrr! It sends chills down my spine just thinking about that. To be quite frank, the time is always right to do what is right. That's why we must unequivocally say "no" to the mods of SWF's blasphemous, Pecksniffian expositions. The first step in that process is to realize that it and its advocates are, by nature, sinister punks. Not only can that nature not be changed by window-dressing or persiflage, but the mods of SWF will probably respond to this letter just like it responds to all criticism. It will put me down as "mumpish" or "covinous". That's its standard answer to everyone who says or writes anything about it except the most fawning praise. Our goal must now be to step back and consider the problem of the mods of SWF's rodomontades in the larger picture of popular culture imagery. If you believe that that's a worthwhile goal, then I can clearly use your help. Let me hear from you.

oh and uh... RAR tech something.

*sonic related statement*

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Why do you do this to yourself, Chains...?

*tck tck tck* poor guy, the insanity took him over when Barlw must've come out...

And to keep this on-topic, I've been wondering ever since I've picked up the GC controller.

Is there any difference between tap-jump on/off? I feel like leaving tap-jump on is more natural, but I heard turning it off will allows you more stuff?

Does it also matter what I set my C-stick to, seeing as how Sonic can't fastfall his Dair? I feel like if I were to keep tap-jump on it would only be more efficient/resourceful to set it to tilts in case I need to do UTilt (which now that I can use the GC controller I will be able to use more in my game).

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Baw, but I am my own person with my own perference, I just want a couple other peoples' opinions before I make the muscle memory permanent. :(

BTW the set up is again tap-jump on with C-stick set to tilts, everything else will be the same thing... except maybe I might in the future make the X or Y button as a shield button because I don't like the triggers, and I can grab from the shield with the A button anyway... needs moar testing but yeah back to the point...:

TELL ME!!!!

Browny

Smash Hater
you can fast-fall a dair... just input the FF before you dair and you will FF once the attack finishes :) only possible from very high up though lol

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah, and it's useless for momentum-cancelling, because all the other aerials can be fastfalled starting on their very first frame.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
C-stick on tilts? Interesting...

would that mean you could... like, stutter step ftilt?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I dunno, I just don't like Smash-stick... I can accomplish the same thing by just insta-pressin' direction and A, and besides that, I can't remember that the smashes come out as soon as frame-wise allows, it throws me off when I actually want to hold the Smash-Stick for a charge boost, and it fails.

Besides that, can't the Tilt-Stick let you control the angle that FTilt hits?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah but you can control that angle anyway, by tilting the control stick either forward+up, forward, or forward+down as you ftilt. Like you can even just Ftilt + roll the control stick semi up or down to accomplish it, without really impairing your DI should you get it.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the Sutter-step FSmash... never would've was an important part of my game anyway. If I used a FSmash, they either got it, shielded the hit, or were never going to get hit by it anyway. I don't recall a time where the extra distance would've mattered, and I don't see it as a real hinderrance to any future games.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Try it for yourself... see what happens.

What's probably going on in your matches is something that I believe ever Sonic main experiences or has experienced once... where you find something that works, and you use it well for the first few stocks, then the opponent is able to read what you're doing and you're incapable of adjusting to it for watever reason. You could try to camp and stall the timer out... but seriously, you're playing Sonic.

The better guess is to learn more mixups. That way, you're opponent is always guessing, and then they might not break through all of your attacks because they won't see it coming.

tl;dr: try something different throughout your matches.
Hmmmmmmmmmm, thats what I was thinking. But I switch up between moves, its just that certain moves don't have as much priority or end up leaving me wide open. I tried doin that today... It was working, but it was still HARD AS F**K. Mindgames, Patience and Not sitting still help me get wins.

It doesn't matter. I'm a Sonic player... I'm an MK slayer and I enjoy wrecking in teams alongside being a stock tank XD

I was jus curious about what other players do. Every now and then I get kinda pissed at the results. Then I go make money, **** on *****'s, **** hoes and move on. I'll figure out a way to counter other people one way or the other...

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
lol I'm bored...

I'm looking at how this thread evloved... most notably at the moment page873... ShadowLink talkin about Sonic to a buncha ppl who don't play Sonic in Brawl.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Looking back at this thread...

Dear God, there were probably 950 pages before I even came to this place.

Next, glad to see a lot of the people that have been here before are gone... wather they could've been scrubby or not, we will never know...

More interesting, how could (can) this topic have remain(ed) open? It probably attracted a lot of spam about Sonic not just being in Brawl, but it other video games to (funny how that's still the case. Are mods doing their job moreso now than before?). Let's admit it, right now where Brawl stands, it's such a shallow game due to the lack of discovered ATs and the like, and even when it was just released, there was probably nothing else to talk about.

Now I wonder if the people who use to come to this place would look at us if they came back... I bet some would be mad about how we got this place the rep it does now. Or maybe some will realise we are just misunderstood. Maybe a couple would've even joined in on the fun.

Looking back at stuff is fun, especially when you participated in it and you are making history, even if I only joined a couple of months late into the Brawl. I'ma scrub scrub scrub.

:091:

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Staying on topic is a good way to start :p

My Sonic's coming along. At least, I think I've figured out what I can (and everything I can't >.>) do with him.

Is there any kind of visual guide to his play style?
(Goes to look)

I've just been focussing my playstyle around his across B cancelling. Faking out and baiting stuff.

Also:

- High School of the Dead

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hiya Vyse, how are you doin' tonight?

Was the staying on-topic sentence directed at me? Wather it does or doesn't remains quite valid regardless.

As for visual guides of his playstyle, if you give me 20 minutes (max), I could probably link you to some videos that come close... for I don't really think there is one video dedicated to all of his playstyles because Sonic is really only limited by the player playing the certain playstyle with him.

Oh, and just before I posted this, I noticed you made that about an hour ago, so I have all the time to look for the vids... still, I'll do my best to find something. :p

Edit: Okay here we go.

First vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QMRTsGfy0c

Not really a playstyle vid, but it does cover some of the tricks you can use...

Second video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ34M-Bdo6k

Ah, the classic answer to "what is the difference between Side-B and Down-B?" question... but in video form! Again not a playstyle guide but dear god is this helpful for people who just aren't the reading type... This is becoming harder than I had presumed...

Third vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxwf3VDtQJs&feature=related

This was mroeorless covered in the second video already, but I guess if you want to get really technical, you could watch this.

Fourth vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XPazo3otHo&feature=related

Basically what it is... how do you shot spin? Doesn't explain how to do it, but the easiest method if you don't already know would be to simply use Side-B and slide your finger down on the C-Stick down on the Gamecube controller (still no playstyle guides... I really am begining to think Sonic is all techs now...).

Fifth vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heEflKvN6ts&feature=related

We're breaking Diddy Kong here! :p

Sixth vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3srs9kXtBv8&feature=related

This is the greatest Sonic tech vid you'll ever find... like seriously.

/joking

I give up, I really could not find any one vid on Youtube dedicated to explain Sonic's playstyles... you either have it or you don't. Take for example CiTH (thecatinthehat), he probably has the most techiest (is that a word) and fastest Sonic you'll see (maybe that only applies to Lag-Fi, but I don't recall him calling his plasytyle out in offline matches), Tenki would be the most patient Sonic out there if not just a mix of everything (again, this might only apply to Lag-Fi, seeing as how he only went to two in-person tourneys). Finally for another example, you can look at me and I'll be one of the more passive/aggresive Sonics... and probably one of the most simple playstyle that still works in teh competitive scene... to an extent... GAH!

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
CitH has a great freakout Sonic on steroids, but definitly not the hardest. Sonic isn't all crazyness. Sure, Spinshot and SDSC are both good moves, but CitH sometimes applies them at... Unnecessary times. If you want to see a scrub scrub scrub Sonic, you need mine. It's like the basic Sonic.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah, CiTH is kind of a show-off (I'm not dissin' you man, but you really do tend to be flashy...).

And ain't nobody moar basic than I am! I already told you that I have the best shallow Sonic evar. I owe it all to playing on the Wiimote for the longest time.

Tenki

Smash Hero
CiTH's playstyle is kind of really punishable as long as you can shield the spring and punish the D-air, because spring>D-air is sort of... way too common :/

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh **** son, I has been uploaded by Fizzy!

I just picked up the Gamecube controller that day, so of course I'm going to be terribad.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
LOL! Lag-Fi doesn't even count, for as good as the connection between me and Fizzy was to my surprise. I would like to think I've gotten a little bit more comfortable with the setup... I just wonder if it will be good enoguh to get me anywhere at SK's tourney this Sat.

I really don't know why Fizzy would want to tube me, I'm not pole-jocking him like all you whiners are. :laugh:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Don't worry about it Infzy, you can keep those up, but I just want to know why upload matches with me? I'm not special.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm better than all of you.

<3

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Not me, Cam. I am pretty good, ask anyone who played me. Lag can be hard to decipher, though. we need some offline vids to see where everyone is really at.
Or tournament results ;o

But yeah, I need some newer videos of me :/
(No, this is NOT hinting at infzy. We have too much lag, lol)

Unless I save some epic replay, THEN I'll come polejocking infzy.

:093:

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
dont you just hate it when those tourneys are too far away? Once i can find tourneys around where i live at, or i can make it to the tourneys, you better believe that I am going to be reppin, like i was at the last tourney. Everyone saw Sonic in a whole new light.

FUN FACT: Chu Dat used to main Sonic when brawl first came out.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Chu Dat Steak?

It only makes sense.

But no seriously, We gotta get some offline matches/tourney results up, just to prove to y'all I am the only sonic who can beast y'all!

At least if you came to WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom