• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Snake Q&A Area

crashman360

Smash Rookie
Hey just wondering, are their specific places i should be planting my mine and c4 to better control the center of the stage and keep them pressured at the edge?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Platforms are always good. Even placing them on the ledge while they are offstage is good. Anything that abuses the huge hitbox below the C4 will help you control a larger area. Having it above ground level also gives you more options while being juggled, as you can cut off some options by putting the explosion and your opponent.

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
Hey just wondering, are their specific places i should be planting my mine and c4 to better control the center of the stage and keep them pressured at the edge?

You can grab release most characters into a dsmash on platforms, and some into dsmashes on the ground. (Mk, falco, sheik, squirtle)

Just place them in spots that your opponent likes to retreat to under pressure. Don't aim to hit with the c4.

I am uncertain about using C4 or not. I believe that since it acts as a no-risk move if coupled with moving away while detonating (drifting) or if simply very far away it is beneficial for you if only marginally. You can increase your success of hitting if you can place your opponent in situations where they get trapped.

Suppose your opponent is coming back down to the ledge, but could go on the stage right away. Well, C4 says to them to either go to the ledge or get blown up. And you can use it while doing a SH towards them to actually gain stage position. It in those situations where you can "read" to cover certain options when you could not otherwise.

Scoot

Smash Cadet
Question has probably already been asked but, Snake seems like a very easy character to make frustrated when you're in his face. Now I'm much of a freshman when it comes to competitive smash brothers in terms of actually playing in a tournament so the most I've ever really played against Snake seriously is with friends and like the one singular tournament I went to last year in December.

So basically the short question is, is this true? From what I've played against him he seems easy to handle close quarters but what do more experienced snake players have to say about that?

That is a result of footstooling Snake while in cypher.

If you look closely at the 0:05 mark Snake is in cypher and DK gets off the ledge attempting a Dair. As you should notice his jump gets him well above the stage ledge which is typically impossible for DK doing a 2nd jump Dair from the ledge. He would just barely get a little bit above the stage ledge before falling back below it. Instead, he shoots up above the stage really high. So, an indication of DK getting a footstool off of the cypher. As a result, Snake gets to UpB twice once he lets go the first time.

Question has probably already been asked but, Snake seems like a very easy character to make frustrated when you're in his face. Now I'm much of a freshman when it comes to competitive smash brothers in terms of actually playing in a tournament so the most I've ever really played against Snake seriously is with friends and like the one singular tournament I went to last year in December.

So basically the short question is, is this true? From what I've played against him he seems easy to handle close quarters but what do more experienced snake players have to say about that?
Umm... Its sort of hard for me to seriously say yes or no to your question since how you worded it is a bit vague. How you perceive in his face is probably a bit different from my own.

Since you say you are relatively new and have not that much experience I imagine that when you say, "...make frustrated when you're in his face." means that a Snake player easily gets flustered and backs away from anything up close and might miss out on the opportunities to counterattack. For example, I envision a scenario where a snake player gets caught getting hit by a rapid jab from pikachu or sheik. The snake play panics and messes up. While in reality that situation is incredibly bad for the pikachu or sheik player. With smash directional influence (SDI) Snake can SDI out quickly and punish Sheik/Pika with a Ftilt/Utilt before they can even recover. More experience players do in fact have the ability to do this routinely. In that sense, Snake does not get flustered in close combat situation if the person is competent.

Otherwise, its hard to definitively answer your question without specific situations. Some areas like the one I described is easily handled by snake while other times Snake cannot handle it. Such as Snake caught in a shield with someone behind him.

Scoot

Smash Cadet
Since you say you are relatively new and have not that much experience.
New to the competitive Tournament aspect of things not the game itself, if that wasn't clear. I have been playing smash brothers since 64 but I understand that it's different when you get into a competitive setting seeing as people invent new things with characters.

Umm... Its sort of hard for me to seriously say yes or no to your question since how you worded it is a bit vague. .
I'll try and word it better, by frustrate I mean that a good counter player to Snake can make it so when you're always in close range to him putting on pressure he has a harder time getting out attacks as to say a character that's built to be better close combat, that's just based on previous experience as I said.

But I can see from what you've written it's very situational as are a lot of match ups.

Jackson

Smash Lord
I have two questions. The first is kinda weird. Often when i try to nade i often pull out the Nikita, and often when i try to Ftilt i Fsmash. is there a good way to do these so that i dont input the wrong thing? Also, my other question: I know how to pivot nade in the air, but how do i do that reverse pivot nade thing when facing the other direction than the direction that i'm falling? Thanks.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
As far as messing up inputs goes you just have to practice that on your own/practice the situations that make you mess it up. For the b-reversals, you just press b and behind you lol. You can get 2 different results depending on the timing. You can turn around AND reverse your momentum or you can just turn around and keep going the way you are going. Also another trick you can do with b-reversals that's somewhat situational and underutilized by most(imo) is that you can b-reverse while facing the opposite way that you are moving in the air. It's the same input as a normal b-reversal(aimed the opposite way Snake is facing). Might seem like common sense that you could do that, but I don't see it often and it can really throw people off at times.

Jackson

Smash Lord
As far as messing up inputs goes you just have to practice that on your own/practice the situations that make you mess it up. For the b-reversals, you just press b and behind you lol. You can get 2 different results depending on the timing. You can turn around AND reverse your momentum or you can just turn around and keep going the way you are going. Also another trick you can do with b-reversals that's somewhat situational and underutilized by most(imo) is that you can b-reverse while facing the opposite way that you are moving in the air. It's the same input as a normal b-reversal(aimed the opposite way Snake is facing). Might seem like common sense that you could do that, but I don't see it often and it can really throw people off at times.
Thanks man, that's helpful.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Is there a list of how big the blast radius is of each of Snake's explosives?
Or maybe, just tell me? ._.
Grenade explosions get me every time...

Also, it's been like, a year of playing Smash, I still don't know what planking is. WHAT IS PLANKING? :C

Last edited:

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Surprisingly it's not in the frame data directory, but it's something you can learn over time lol. Messing around with Snake some yourself could also help you get a better idea of how you should space yourself. Also planking is just grabbing the ledge over and over. Most characters who plank have moves they can throw out to cover themselves to make it fairly safe or their Up-Bs just come out fast enough/can jump back to the ladge fast enough, but in the most basic sense it's just regrabbing the ledge.

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
May not be the right thread for this, but Im looking for a set with a Snake vs. (I think Mew2king's) Meta Knight. Where Snake grab released MK onto a C4.

Jackson

Smash Lord
May not be the right thread for this, but Im looking for a set with a Snake vs. (I think Mew2king's) Meta Knight. Where Snake grab released MK onto a C4.
I'm not sure which tournament, but I know what you're talking about. It's Ally vs Mew2King, and I believe Clash tournaments streamed it. Look on YouTube for that. Hope I helped.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Yeah it's more than likely Ally vs a top MK since he's really the only top Snake to utilize that. If you're just looking for an instance of him doing it I believe he did it vs Zero in a MM at Apex 2012,

Top Bottom