• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Bros. Brawl Complaint Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Now I know you haven't ever actually played Brawl with three other friends for an entire night. This game is the funnest multiplayer experience of all time, in no small part due to the chaotic, random nature of the stages, items, and yes, even the occasional character.
I know you weren't talking to me, but...

No. The first two days we picked up the game all we did was party with it. Two player SSE, Crazy stage builder games, smash ball games, etc, etc. During each of those game types, we realized what was dumb with them. Any items on was in great favor for Sonic, because he could run around grabbing them up, especially when he got the Final Smash. The SSE was very long and very repetitive, and we lost interest after not too long. The stages became my mortal enemy, along with my own two feet that seemed to cross and make me fall quite frequently.

If I want to have the most fun party game experience of all time, I will either play Mario Party 3, Mario Kart 64, Wario Ware Wii, or something like that.

I just think that Brawl makes an AMAZING party game.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
...What this sounds like to me is that you should stop playing Smash Bros. and go pick up a really hardcore fighting game like Guilty Gear of Virtua Fighter.
See: self quote at the end.
Sure, certain characters were nerfed, but were you honestly anticipating a perfectly balanced game? Some stages do suck, but hey, there's always Stage Builder. Online Brawl is just how Nintendo does their online games right now--we all know it's not very good, but it's better than Melee's online, right?
No but I sure as hell wasn't expecting such a giant nerf fest.

The rest of your irks are, frankly, just nit-picking. If you hate the items, turn off those you hate.
Too bad items fall into 2 categories: Broken or useless and by the time I turn off the crap there's not much left. Not even playing with bomb-ombs is fun because they don't walk as far and the knockback is sad. Remember when you actually had to fear bomb-ombs? What happened to that? I also don't like the fact that motion sensors can blow up before they're plotted, more often than not they explode when people try to pick em up.

Now I know you haven't ever actually played Brawl with three other friends for an entire night. This game is the funnest multiplayer experience of all time, in no small part due to the chaotic, random nature of the stages, items, and yes, even the occasional character.
No I haven't for several reasons, the main one some of them don't like it and the other one being the transportation here sucks so if you want to go somewhere you have to plan it in advance by at least a week.

But...that's just what I think. I'm sorry you feel this way about the game, and I'll say it again: if you don't like it, go back to Melee. Nothing you say will change the game, so just suck it up and get used to the flaws.
Again, see:

Now I know the first thing someone is gonna say "Why don't you just go play Melee" - I would, but I'm trying to lie to myself that buying a Wii was actually a GOOD decision. The reason I got a Gamecube was for Melee. Did it work out? Yes. 7 years later I was still playing it and several great games came out on the console even though it was a failure, with Brawl I feel like I have to stomach this diluted mess just so I can say I didn't get a big disappointment after waiting 2-3 years and watching it get delayed 2 times when in my opinion, this was the biggest disappointment Nintendo ever made [Did Europe even get this game yet? At least Microsoft made Halo 3 a worldwide release because they actually CARE about their fans]. So here I am, back on these boards with my Gamecube 2: Motion Sensing Edition that probably won't see another great game until 2009, which probably will turn out to be some casualized game because we all know Nintendo would rather have 1 billion people play ****ty games than have 10 million people play quality games.

/rant

sword knigh7

Smash Rookie
The Online. Just look at Mario Kart's online. Did it really deserve to get such good online while Brawl got sucky online? NO. And, I believe Mario Kart is getting DLC too.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I dont play online much, so i don't really care about that, but my complaint isn't really about brawl. it is about people who don't own brawl thinkin that anyone can win and you don't actually need skill to win. I was reading my gameinformer, the one w/ gh4 on the cover, in the section where they show which games are selling well, brawl was top and the guy is like "the most popular game reguires no skill what so ever. I HATE WHEN PEOPLE SAY THAT. they've obviously NEVER played the game would get there ***es beat against top players. SCREW THA H8TAS!!!!:mad::mad::demon::demon::grrr::grrr:

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It's the truth, several reviewers from different magazines said that and even Yahztee [I hate him but people worship him for some reason] said it, I hate to admit it but they're right.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
See the trend? All the people who support Brawl are the ones who joined during the time Brawl was being hyped up! You don't see hardened melee veterans supporting brawl. You won't just find this here, you'll find this trend to be generally prevalent throughout this entire board and beyond.
The problem is that I'm a melee vet who never bothered to sign up for Smashboards. I just read it. I don't think Brawl is a better game than Melee. No way in hell that's true. However, to say that a noob can beat a pro by mahsing buttons with Meta Knight is just plain wrong, regardless of your join date.

By the way, lol@usingforumsenioritytoproveapoint.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
It's the truth, several reviewers from different magazines said that and even Yahztee [I hate him but people worship him for some reason] said it, I hate to admit it but they're right.
I thought I was the only one that hated him.

I've long stopped worrying about the game and started just playing it. If you believe it's not competitive, play Melee. If you believe it is, go to tournaments and beat people. That's the way it is. Brawl is ridiculously fun if you just stop focusing on its shortcomings and start enjoying it for what you believe it is, and if you can't enjoy it, sell the game and play something else.

I know I'm gonna get 50 "WAAAAH, TIHS IS CUMPLANT THRD YUR SPOSD TA CMPLN" replies.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I thought I was the only one that hated him.

I've long stopped worrying about the game and started just playing it. If you believe it's not competitive, play Melee. If you believe it is, go to tournaments and beat people. That's the way it is. Brawl is ridiculously fun if you just stop focusing on its shortcomings and start enjoying it for what you believe it is, and if you can't enjoy it, sell the game and play something else.

I know I'm gonna get 50 "WAAAAH, TIHS IS CUMPLANT THRD YUR SPOSD TA CMPLN" replies.
I never said I wanted it to be competitive, I might have called it out for making things too easy but I never complained about the competitive nature of the game, I never expected to live up to Melee competitive side but what I had hoped it that the casual side was as good or better than Melee or SSB64s casual side but it hasn't even lived up to that.

If I had to give Brawl a score out of 10 I'd give it a 7 or 8 [the music is worth at least 2]. It's not a god-awful game or a mediocre one but it's just not one of those breath taking ones.

The reason I call out the shortcomings is because they never stop showing up. I'd ignore them if they didn't force themselves on me every match. Every time I boot up Brawl I try to start fresh and give it a chance but then I just trip the second the match starts and the whole thing goes downhill.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
That's ok, I'll just leave that counterpoint in case someone wants to use that point against me.

Also, is it me or is the Classic Controller [possibly the other Wiimote combos as well] the most responsive controller? The GC one is okay but sometimes I swear certain moves don't come out.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I dont play online much, so i don't really care about that, but my complaint isn't really about brawl. it is about people who don't own brawl thinkin that anyone can win and you don't actually need skill to win. I was reading my gameinformer, the one w/ gh4 on the cover, in the section where they show which games are selling well, brawl was top and the guy is like "the most popular game reguires no skill what so ever. I HATE WHEN PEOPLE SAY THAT. they've obviously NEVER played the game would get there ***es beat against top players.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oECew6wDH98
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4149504&postcount=635

What's this about people who say that Brawl requires no skill would get their ***es beat by top players?

CORRECTION: Those who say brawl requires no skill ARE TOP PLAYERS.

ike is solid, Join Date: Apr 2008

*sigh*

The problem is that I'm a melee vet who never bothered to sign up for Smashboards. I just read it. I don't think Brawl is a better game than Melee. No way in hell that's true. However, to say that a noob can beat a pro by mahsing buttons with Meta Knight is just plain wrong, regardless of your join date.

By the way, lol@usingforumsenioritytoproveapoint.
WAIT A MINUTE! you think Melee is better? well then I shouldn't have included you on the list. What I'm trying to say is: recent join date + support for brawl = noob at melee in most cases.

Hmm, well, I enjoy the game. I hope that isn't a bad thing, because if it is, I guess I've a gulty concious. Well, I completely agree that Brawl has a smaller learning curve, but I'm willing to go with the flow and see how the community carries it through these rough waters. Is it a bad thing to like Melee over Brawl? Certainly not, but my Join date shouldn't indicate that I have some sort of sterotyped opinion.
Being guilty over playing Brawl instead of Melee is like being guilty that you ate at Taco Bell when you could have had free pizza, cake, and ice cream. It's not just your join date that gives you the stereotype. It's when you have an early join date and then go saying that you'll take brawl over melee. It almost implies that you didn't play melee competitively. I don't see you saying anything to the contrary, so I guess that would be correct. I really don't care if you like brawl more. More power to you. Brawl would be my favorite game if I never got into competitive melee too.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oECew6wDH98
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4149504&postcount=635

What's this about people who say that Brawl requires no skill would get their ***es beat by top players?

CORRECTION: Those who say brawl requires no skill ARE TOP PLAYERS.
I dont play online much, so i don't really care about that, but my complaint isn't really about brawl. it is about people who don't own brawl thinkin that anyone can win and you don't actually need skill to win. I was reading my gameinformer, the one w/ gh4 on the cover, in the section where they show which games are selling well, brawl was top and the guy is like "the most popular game reguires no skill what so ever. I HATE WHEN PEOPLE SAY THAT. they've obviously NEVER played the game would get there ***es beat against top players. SCREW THA H8TAS!!!!:mad::mad::demon::demon::grrr::grrr:
Did you not see the "Who don't own the game" part???? and are you saying that all of the top players who are VERY skilled think that the game requires no skill and they think I could beat them, or some random suckish guy that just picked up the game could beat them (I am not the suckish guy, I'm pretty good, i guess) ? I don't understand what you are saying, and I am wondering what you meant, it would be nice if you could explain what you were attempting to say.

G J Cod

Smash Cadet
I just wished they could've squeezed in one more stage: the Good Egg Galaxy. The brawling platform would be like delfino plaza's and a giant launch star would blast you all around the area. And you can't beat the music. Just a thought.

MaxThunder

PM Support
i really havent gotten to playing the game yet and i do not have anything in game to complain about.... so i'm complaining about the OVERLY STUPID RELEASE IN NORWAY!!!!! I HAVE TO WAIT 19 MORE DAYYYYYYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAARGH!!!!!!!! AND I GOT A MATH TALKING EXAM IN TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... oops.... a little off topic there..... and way too much caps.... dun wanna delete stuff cause its the thruth.... stupid nintendo.... cant even release a game properly.........

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
i hate how its so easy to unlock everything. as soon as i got the game i went to subspace and beat it, which unlocked almost everyone

Corigames

Smash Hero
Uh... yeah. What you are going to hate is when you need to take it to a friends house and not be able to transfer your memory... meaning you have to unlock everything on their Wii in order to play with everyone on every stage.

EvilShadow777

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1177-8767-4539
I hate how the online SUCKS. Yes, I said it, IT SUCKS. The lag is unbearable. And you can't even play custom stages with friends. I understand how it wouldn't work with random people, but no friend customs? About the lag, play mario kart wii, same people who are laggy as hell on brawl, and you see NO lag. They could've done the same with brawl.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
ALSO

You can't grab the Sandbag in the waiting stage....
Sucks not practicing grab combos

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think Brawl's online is Peer to Peer to both of your connections affect the quality of gameplay, whereas Mario Kart Wii has a server.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag wifi lag

Bud

Smash Journeyman
I hate how the online SUCKS. Yes, I said it, IT SUCKS. The lag is unbearable. And you can't even play custom stages with friends. I understand how it wouldn't work with random people, but no friend customs? About the lag, play mario kart wii, same people who are laggy as hell on brawl, and you see NO lag. They could've done the same with brawl.
Mario Kart may appear to be lag free but it really has the same if not worse lag, you jsut cant see it. Try hitting someone with a turtle shell while they are sitting still, it takes like 2 seconds for it to actually register. Smash just has to be exact for both people so visual lag is necessary; if it did it like mariokart, you would get smashed when you think y our opponent is across the map. Which sounds worse?

thenewaol

Smash Rookie
sweet i've almost comboed this guy 0-death, bu OH NOES I tripped :(
while tripping does suck there have been random times where it has helped (like tripping and landing at the edge of a spin attack)

Corigames

Smash Hero
So it randomly hurts everyone, which is, obviously, better than them taking it out and at least making it so that if you get hit, it was by your own accord?

Yeah, I hate tripping, a lot.

Roller

Smash Legend
Uh... yeah. What you are going to hate is when you need to take it to a friends house and not be able to transfer your memory... meaning you have to unlock everything on their Wii in order to play with everyone on every stage.
Ya, not being able to save to a memory card sucks, but by doing that it forces everyone to beat the game or you will have to go to your friends house every time you two want to play because they wont want to play without everyone.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
sweet i've almost comboed this guy 0-death, bu OH NOES I tripped :(
while tripping does suck there have been random times where it has helped (like tripping and landing at the edge of a spin attack)
If you almost combo'd someone 0 to death, then they sucked. I have only been able to do combos to people who have never heard of "DI" (except toward me), "Air dodge", or "Counter Attacking".

16BitAlex

Smash Rookie
The worst thing?

Boss Battles in the "Stadium". They don't let you continue, and Tabuu is undefeatable at Hard or worse. You can't dodge the stupid rings he fires out.

And to those who say "Use dodging" or some other garbage: That leads me to my second point.

Dodging is totally non-functional, the dodge doesn't last long enough to work. It requires atomic clock precision to dodge the stupid rings.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Broken = Cheaply overpowered (Like Fox in melee, Wobbuffet in pokemon, Colin/grit/hachi in advance wars, etc.)

when you're talking about gaming, this is the definition of broken. Just so you know.

16BitAlex

Smash Rookie
Broken = Cheaply overpowered (Like Fox in melee, Wobbuffet in pokemon, Colin/grit/hachi in advance wars, etc.)

when you're talking about gaming, this is the definition of broken. Just so you know.
Got it. I should have said non-functional where I said broken. Editing that.

I'll add another thing, and something about games today in general: The 1-player modes were designed to last. That is the biggest game design sin. Wario got it right in WarioWare where the games are very short.

I would rather have a one-hour game that I can easily complete in one sitting than an 80-hour epic where in addition to the 80 hours of story and completion I spend 500+ hours cursing at the game's difficulty.

Any idiot can be trained to play multi-player competitively, in fact that's the beauty of this game. It's the annoying 1-player mode, especially SSE and Boss Battles that take the fun away.

Jordan178

Smash Rookie
Eh...I really don't like tripping, lag sucks, Ike is to **** powerful, and I hate it on how some of the items were removed (like the red turtle sheel).

16BitAlex

Smash Rookie
One complaint wouldn't do justice to the epic fail that IS Brawl's single player experience.
Corrected.

Also, anyone who has success using the sidestep dodge can PM me with evidence along with a video of you walking the nearest body of water since you ARE God.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Corrected.

Also, anyone who has success using the sidestep dodge can PM me with evidence along with a video of you walking the nearest body of water since you ARE God.
No, don't do that. I really don't give a crap for 1-player. I practically forgot it existed, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom