• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Roster Discussion

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
There has been a huge influx of threads regarding the full roster in Brawl. People hate it, people love it, people tolerate it, etc. Well, in the interest of cleaning the boards up and localizing all of these discussions, this topic has been created.

Use this topic to discuss anything and everything about the roster. Debate or just let it all out, whatever you want to do.

And for reference, here is the final roster including all 35 characters (39 with transformations):

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
No Rob Sucks Because He Took The Place Of My Favorite Character Ever Krystal (love Furies!) And Ridley And Megaman And Geno!!! Argh I Hate The Roster!!!!

Sariku

Smash Master
No Rob Sucks Because He Took The Place Of My Favorite Character Ever Krystal (love Furies!) And Ridley And Megaman And Geno!!! Argh I Hate The Roster!!!!
So Krystal didn't get a spot because R.O.B. got in? Do you know anything about that kind of stuff? If Sakurai wanted Krystal in, he could of put her in with the current roster >.>

If you're joking then my bad. Sarcasm is very hard to tell on the internet.

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.
R.O.B. +1
Toon Link EXACT CLONE -1
Ganondirf unchanged -1
Pokemon Trainer +1
Lucas with a Claus costume +1
Removal of Mewtwo -1
Ridley not playable -1
Ridley being two bosses to make up for it +1
No Ditto as the random button -1
The original 12 +1
THREE LANDMASTERS -1
Wolf +1
Falco -1
Giga Jigglypuff +1
FINALLY MORE THAN ONE KIRBY REP +1
39 movesets +1

Overall, I've come to like this roster.

Pima

Smash Journeyman
Ok so I haven't read all the "z0mg 0nl4y 35 ch4rs in t3h br4wlz!1!" spam so.... How many characters are there in total?

antimatter

Smash Lord
none of these supported characters made it in as the way people wanted:
ridley
dark samus
geno
ashley
takamaru
sukapon
mega man
isaac
mewtwo
claus
bomberman
k. rool
kamek
bowser jr.

sakurai made clones and semiclones out of these characters
ness and lucas
fox, falco, wolf
link, toon link
c. falcon, ganondorf

sakurai added an extremely long story mode, assist trophies, stickers, trophies, old game demos, and he added R.O.B. and kept Jigglypuff.

am i angry about his priorities? no. am i disappointed? yes.

ReiGun

Smash Cadet
I think the roster is really good., but then again, with all the hype surrounding Brawl, people were bound to be disappointed. I mean, every game character this side of Spyro the Dragon had a campagin hoping for their addition.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Hmmm, I like the roster overall. But like many i feel that opportunities were wasted.

Ganandorf still a clone. The wielder of the triforce of power, a controller of dark magicks who plunged Hyrule into darkness, and a character with over 10 years of history...can falcon punch. If someone had told me a month ago i would have laughed in there face. Sakurais biggest mistake.

Krystal. Sure she wasn't badass, or particularly well known, but Krystal would have filled a niche, the "Female staf fox rep" and brawl needed both. I can live with wolf, he's fox's rival like bowser to mario and ganandorf to Link. But falco?! He's a sidekick and more of a clone than wolf is. Brawl needed more girls in the roster, the fact that we only got Zamus is appaling.

ROB - I'm glad ROB is in brawl, he has a unique moveset and is certainly wtf material. But so many characters deserved it more. Krystal, K.Rool, Bowser,Jr, Geno, Black shadow and even ridley. ROB got in before all of these which is not cool.

Apart from these 3 points, i'm fine with the roster.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Roster is amazing. I don't know what else to say. Extremely happy with character choices. Completely blown away by the music "roster" @_@

Sogeking

Smash Cadet
unlike a lot of people i really like the roster. It looks really balanced and seems that anyone can play it. People are just pissed because they got info about much of the newcomers first and take it for granted

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
unlike a lot of people i really like the roster. It looks really balanced and seems that anyone can play it. People are just pissed because they got info about much of the newcomers first and take it for granted
Exactly. Sakurai built us up for great things and didn't deliver

If your making a movie you don't make the beginning great and the ending terrible, you keep it consistent.

The fact the only new character we got was ROB made the whole thing very anti climatic.

The_Famous_SK

Smash Apprentice
How many games has Mega Man had for Nintendo systems? I can name 10 off the top of my head. Want me to start?

Mega Man 1-6 for NES.
Mega Man X 1-3 for SNES.
That's 9.
All those Network Transmission and Battle Net games? They all sucked, so we'll call that 11.
Star Force & Command Mission, that makes 13.
Mega Man ZX makes 14.

14 games for Nintendo systems, + like another 5 for PS/2? They put Mega Man into ****ty *** card-based RPG games, but not Smash Brothers? He **** sure has more games than Pit, ROB, Lucario, and Lucas put together.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I am content with the roster. If Toon Link and Ganondorf had an original moveset then I probably wouldn't have any problem with it.

And thank you for making this thread SamuraiPanda, hopefully this board won't be flooded with "Guys, look on the bright side" and the occasional "The roster sucks" threads.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
How many games has Mega Man had for Nintendo systems? I can name 10 off the top of my head. Want me to start?

Mega Man 1-6 for NES.
Mega Man X 1-3 for SNES.
That's 9.
All those Network Transmission and Battle Net games? They all sucked, so we'll call that 11.
Star Force & Command Mission, that makes 13.
Mega Man ZX makes 14.

14 games for Nintendo systems, + like another 5 for PS/2? They put Mega Man into ****ty *** card-based RPG games, but not Smash Brothers? He **** sure has more games than Pit, ROB, Lucario, and Lucas put together.
Maybe the others but not ROB tbh.

But yeah, I was joking about the roster. I've made it clear that the roster is great and I love it.

And to the people complaining about clones, let me say: THERE ARE NO CLONES IN BRAWL. Yes, people, NO CLONES, what do ya'll not get? All of the past clones have been majorly tweaked into completely Luigified characters. The closest thing we get to a clone is Toon Link, but even he has a drastic change of physics compared to Link, making him feel like a completely different character.

If you really think there's clones in Brawl, then you dunno what a cloned fighting moveset is. It's like saying Ryu and Ken in Street Fighter are clones if you were to say Ganondorf and Captain Falcon are clones (in Brawl).

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I, along with the others, was dissapointed at first. But then I thought hard about it, the only reason I didn't like this is because everything I didn't know about was nothing new. Marth, Toon Link, Wolf, Falco, R.O.B, Luigi, none of it was exciting. Then I thought to myself, Well, if I hadn't read the Dojo every night for these past months, I would be ecstatic at this roster. That's how I came to terms with it, realizing that everything awesome about the roster had already sunk in and I had become used to it. I am full and happy with it now. People really are taking the newcomers they've known about for a while for granted.

eodeth

Smash Apprentice
well despite what ive seen from the arguements i say the roster is near perfect, but a few more characters would be nice and for the fact of some people hate the roster so much they are forgetting the fun that brawl will be i mean just look at all the other stuff in the game ... a few more things, every hate R.O.B [robot operating buddy] so much when they havent seen anything about him i saw a video where someone was in training and he thought rob sucked then after they played that person thought that he wasnt so bad the rest of what i think is down there

1. the roster pwns ssbm the only thing that i dont like is ,is falco and wolf are still clones and ness is a clone of lucas

2. about luigi everyone should have known he was gonna be a clone from mario with just a few differences[like fs] but him and mario have always had the same move in every game not just smash
3. Extra characters i would have wanted: there are 4:baby mario,baby luigi, a golden sun character [perferably isaac,felix, or kraden], or baby bowser w/ or w/o shadow mario [i saw a topic about isaac as an AT so atleast he is in the game]

4. why is everyone so pissed about geno not being is? what if he was then he had like a crappy move set then what more flaming people should be happy with what they have

5.toon/ww link should have been a little more like himself in wind waker not like the regular link ... especially with the final smash

6.the roster is good enough if you don't like it then don't get brawl but the besides missing out on all the other new characters that aren't in you will miss: special brawl, recording, playing with final smashes, sse, some of the new move sets, and much more ,so if ur pissed off at the roster then so be it who cares how much it sucks i mean i was mad when someone i wanted want in but i'm not flaming am I?
7. lastly even if you don't like some of the new characters, you should still try the to see if you really like them just don't know it[like for the fact that i dont like snake, wolf, and a few others that doesn't change that fact that i wont play them

yours truly, Eodeth

Any Honors?

MysticJon

Smash Cadet
while the final roster is awesome (im especially looking forward to trying out Wolf and Meta Knight) would this roster not have been so much better (maybe swap out Midna for Megaman though)?

no Dark Samus
no Ridley
no Mewtwo
no Roy
no Krystal
no Bowser jr/Shadow Mario
no Megaman
no Black Shadow
no K. Rool
no Geno

-there have only been 3 Mother games ever, one of which was Japan only, but it gets 2 reps in likely clones Lucas and Ness, while Metroid and F-Zero get just one each? wouldnt Dark Samus have been a perfect fit for those players who didnt want to deal with Samus' forced FS transformation to ZSS? and Dark Samus likely wont appear in any future Metroid games, so her/its popularity can only go down. SSBB was probably the last chance for her/it to make an appearance.

-Ridley was #4 on Sakurais poll (if im not mistaken) and hes made into a boss?! i guess we should be happy that he makes an appearance at least.

-once Lucario was confirmed, many were hoping to be able to pit him against Mewtwo, but alas, it will never happen. i know how popular Jigglypuff is in Japan, but by comparison, Mewtwo (along with Pikachu) is an American icon to those who have played the Pokemon series since Red/Blue. hes the first real legendary and deserved to return. not to mention that Mewtwo serves as he villain rep for the Pokemon franchise.

-again, Wolf was a huge addition for me, but instead of leaving Falco out (hes just a clone anyway) and replacing him with Krystal (who could have a sweet staff-based moveset) Sakurai decided three clones would be a good idea. 3 Landmasters FTW apparantly.

-Bowser jr should have made it in to start with, but giving him a Shadow Mario transformation as his Down B move (like Zelda/Sheik) or as his FS would have made him even more unique and exciting to play.

-Megaman... i thought Sakurai stated that he wanted at least three 3rd party characters? many people wanted Megaman, so what happened?

-Black Shadow and K. Rool would have served as the villain reps for their respective franchises, but instead, we get only 'good guys'.

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
I love this roster to death. There is absolutly nothing wrong with it at all in any aspects as far as i'm concerned.

Every single character on the roster is awesome. 35 is enough. Its not too big of an amount, its not too small of an amount. I was over other people not being in as soon as i saw that they weren't on the roster.

R.O.B is awesome.

To me this = the perfect smash roster.

ShoTTa

Smash Cadet
Great roster. The only waste of space is R.O.B, everyone else is just right. I kind of wished they had brought back Mewtwo and make him not suck with terrible speed and low gravity, and horrible attacks.

ShoTTa

Smash Cadet
while the final roster is awesome (im especially looking forward to trying out Wolf and Meta Knight) would this roster not have been so much better?

.......................This roster blows. This is too much of a fan boy fantasy roster.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
F-Zero and Metroid needed more characters, definately.
I don't mind that Geno and Krystal didn't get in. SRSLY.
All I needed was Sonic anyway, heh.

antimatter

Smash Lord
while the final roster is awesome (im especially looking forward to trying out Wolf and Meta Knight) would this roster not have been so much better?

true, that would have been much better. my one beef with that roster is midna on there instead of geno. but then, that's the fanboy in me speaking. i would be perfectly fine with your selection over sakurai's. it would have satisfied most people, if not all.

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
So reason why some might not have gotten in?

Krystal: Maybe because she is to the Star Fox series as Shadow is to the Sonic series. Well, maybe the Star Fox series hasnt went that bad, but for me the series has taken a turn for the worst and im pleased to see Wolf and his eye patch in the roster. Takes me back to the glory days of Lylat Wars. Also maybe Sakurai decided to put in Wolf because of Fox's popularity on the Brawl tourny scene and thought it was sufficent to give the fans a heavy alternative to Fox's speed. Im also not convinced that her staff would be enough to create an entire moveset.

Geno: It would have been nice but 90% of Nintendo/Smash fans wouldnt have known who he was. Maybe S.E. didnt want to give the right to Nintendo? Unlikely.

Isaac: Again it would have been nice but the popularity of that series is greatly exaggerated by Smashboard and other forum posters. To many he's just another swordsman (although they would have seen that isnt true once they played as them).

K Rool: Maybe because of the decline of quality in the D.K. series. Nintendo seem to assosiate the character with RARE's reign over D.K. He has barely appeared less and less since RARE left Nintendo

Ridley: Im not sure. The only reason I can see for his uninclusion is the fact that Metroid isnt all that popular in Japan.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I was really looking forward to see bowser jr. and maybe megaman too, but other than that the roster is just fine

gemini-saga

Smash Rookie
Let's hope for some downloadable Clothes...
Like Dr. Mario/Shadow Mario for Mario
A Rapier user Lord For Marth or a mercenary class for Ike
Baby Bowser For Bowser, Young Link for Toon Link

This could Add more diversaty... they still be clones...

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
When I realised that Mega Man didn't make it, I was mad about Sonic...until I saw the Green Holl Zone Stage. Wow, THAT brought back the memories! I think we can agree that todays Sonic games are subpar, but back then on the Mega Drive, Sonic was my hero. *lol* Give me the Mega Man X games on VC, and I let you pass on this, Nintendo. ;)

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B. +1
Toon Link EXACT CLONE -1
Ganondirf unchanged -1
Pokemon Trainer +1
Lucas with a Claus costume +1
Removal of Mewtwo -1
Ridley not playable -1
Ridley being two bosses to make up for it +1
No Ditto as the random button -1
The original 12 +1
THREE LANDMASTERS -1
Wolf +1
Falco -1
Giga Jigglypuff +1
FINALLY MORE THAN ONE KIRBY REP +1
39 movesets +1
Only one "New Nintendo Series Playable Character" -1
Can't use custom stages on Wi-Fi -1

Overall, I've come to like this roster.
Fixed
10char

IllidR

Smash Champion
Well I'd just like to say that I am very disappointed with all the clones in this game, even if they are slightly-Luigified, Sakurai could have done a lot better than this. He could have at least given them new moveset as they all could have been given one, Ganondorf being the most deserving to be un-cloned. Also, ROB isn't really my favorite on this roster, I believe so many other better characters could have been added over him. And lastly, my biggest point of disappointment is the lack of Ridley on this roster.

That's about all I have too say, but I don't want to complain too much because Sakurai did give me my Olimar which I had been hoping for since SSBB was announced, so I am a happy camper in that respect.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The roster really sucks. However, it has Marth and Luigi, and even if it doesn't look like Luigi's moveset was changed like it should have been (there were a ton of things that should have been for this roster.) I can live with it.

S2

Smash Lord
Thanks for making this thread, it was irritating to see tons of roster complaint threads everyday.

I for one like the roster.

Sure there are characters I wanted to be in, but there is always hope with the next installment.

jmandrummer123

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I actually do like the roster, I just have some comments/questions I would like to make.

1) I really hope you can choose ZSS from the select screen somehow

2) Why is Ganondorf still a C. Falcon clone?!?!

3) Why is Wolf ANOTHER Fox Clone?!?! With ANOTHER LANDMASTER

4) Why are Ness AND Lucas in?

5) Why did they take out Y. Link to put in WW Link when he is still a clone? They should have at least made a new move set!!!

6) ROB is pretty cool!!!

Lastly, I will state the characters that I think should have been in.

Ridley- Too big? Is that seriously the only reason yall have against him? What about Olimar... or Bowser for that matter

Paper Mario- I just think he would be more interesting than other "clones" because he could easily have his own moveset

K. Rool- Could have a good moveset and is a good rep for DK

Issac- Golden Sun is one of the best games ever (In many people's opinions), but has no reps?!?!

Krystal- Fox doesn't need two clones, and it adds more female gamers.

If they added even any of these characters, it would make the game even better.

Anyone care to argue against anything I've said?

Top Bottom