• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DZLE

Smash Master
How come DZLE's good now?
Because I started this awesome thread.

Hey all, DZLE here.
I have heard alot of people complaining/asking for a frequently checked/updated D3 Q&A Thread, so upon request I am going to try to run one.I have looked around and haven't seen one so far, so that is another reason I thought I would make this.

Purpose of this thread

For anyone that wants a serious answer to a serious question concerning King Dedede.

I know D3 better than I know my own soul, so chances are between myself and any other D3-mainers here, we can answer all questions.

I will keep this updated Daily, probably multiple times per day. The goal here is to have a structured DDD Q&A

RULES:
1: Do NOT ask the same thing twice.
2: Ask serious questions that you really want an answer to.
3: PLEASE do not spam/flame, I want to get this stickied, and would rather not have it closed.
4: Anyone can contribute, and if it is liable, and not bull ****, I will add it to the OP

There is also a walking CG on Wolf, Wario, and Ganondorf. DK, Samus, Mario, and Luigi can be standing infinited by Dedede.
However, while doing the standing infinite on Samus, Mario, or Luigi, you must jab before every Dthrow (after a few) to reset the move, Otherwise it Decays, and they go out of reach, making it harder to perform at low %. Out of habit, on all 4 of those characters, I always jab at least once anyway.
Whats the easiest way to hit with Nair?
The placement with Nair is tough. I almost NEVER use this if I am above them, rather when they are above me. I use it similar to Jiggs down-b placement (where your right on top of them) but I Nair at their feet. I almost never Nair small characters, all though other D3's may do it differently. -DZLE

King DeDeDe does not have a pointless move in his arsenal. Not his jet hammer, and certainly not his neutral air. Take advantage of the fact it comes out fast, and use it to cover your others moves if they were air dodged through. For example, if I whiff a forward air, or up air, while chasing attempting to chase a Snake user off stage or above, neutral air comes out fast enough, and stays out long enough, to punish the ending frames of invincibility, along with the beginning frames of vulnerability. -Foursaken

Dunno if this is worth mentioning, but I use DDD's nair as sort of an all-purpose aerial. If someone's too close to get hit with any of the others (and a fair is unfavorable due to lag), I'll pull one out. It pops them up a bit, usually in perfect distance for a fair or two. -ConeyIsle

Another good use for Nair is for canceling mortars. Yep, if it's coming at you and you're above it, Nair and that's the end of that mortar. Now you can worry about more important things, like not getting hit with Snake's tilts and actually killing him. -PinkPwnageFrenzy

Fast-falled Nair (into opponent on ground) into UTilt is a pretty handy little maneuver. This move is pretty all-purpose as stated before, certainly not as useless as some would have you believe. -WingedKnight

Which has better range, A pivot grab or a standing grab?
Pivot grab has more range.

Can DDD do a pivot grab to change directions during a CG?
The infinite is banned in my area, so I was wondering it it is possible to change directions during a CG.
Well due to not having Boost grabbing (because DeDeDe is too fat) he can't turn the CG around.
You can still try to change direction of the CG by B-throwing when you get to the ledge of the stage and try to get a tech chase and maybe continue chaingrabbing.
Its not posible to do a Pivot grab at the end of the CG but its possible if they spotdodge.

Whats the main difference between Uair & Dair? And which move is the best, Uair or Dair?
Playing Dedede i don't notice a huge difference from the both of them, just that the Dair is used a lot more because Dedede goes into the air a decent amount. The Dair has a bit of a spike at the tip (not too noticeable). and Dair is good for the setup of the combo SH Fair 2nd hop Dair = no lag upon landing. The Uair has better damage than the Dair, but less Priority. The Uair is easier to DI out of than the Dair, and they both send the opponent up on the last rotation of his hammer.
Overall the Dair is better than the Uair.

Should one double jump before using dair to cancel the lag or just fullhop dair?
No, The lag in King DeDeDe's Dair isn't much of a problem because you can do a Fair to Dair and land without any lag if you time it right.
You can also do a Dair out of a Shot Hop without lag but this needs good timing.

What stages are good for D3, and what stages are bad for D3?
Nothing is bad for Dedede, persay. Even if he plays on Brinstar, Norfair, and the like, he's still an extremely effective character. It could be argued that his worst stage in general is Jungle Japes, due to the high ceiling, water, less space to chaingrab, and edge hazards.
Dedede does good in stages with small ceiling like Green Greens and in places with a lot of room to Chaingrab like Delfino Plaza and Castle Siege.(if you get a grab on the 2nd part of this stage its an auto kill, you can chaingrab them all the way to the sides and kill them just like in Delfino Plaza).
Best stage is generally Final Destination, except against characters that Dedede can't chaingrab that ALSO have a general advantage on flat stages, and/or have a chaingrab on Dedede.
Best counterpick? Rainbow Cruise gets my vote.

Oh, just thought of something else, I heard about something you can do with his Jet Hammer, Something like sliding across the stage a good distance using Down B.
How do you do it?
You have to keep tapping constantly the stick to the side while you're using Jet hammer and you'll move faster than just walking and if you tap the stick faster you'll might be able to get the sliding Jet Hammer but that is more tricky.
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=id3QXwczsKg
If you want a really good use for Jet Hammer, wait until your opponent HAS to recover on the stage. Hit them in their landing lag for the stock. I usually don't pull the Jet Hammer until my opponent is recovering, in general. About the sliding bit, you can also do it if you just hold towards the direction you want, but very slightly. It's tricky, and it's different for everyone's controller, so just find what works best for you. Otherwise, stick with the tapping really fast.

Luigi can be chaingrabbed? with SCG? Whats SCG? :(
SCG = Shield Cancel Grab. It means while your running, Shield and hit A. Your grab range is a bit farther using this technique, and its better to SCG chaingrab on some characters, rather than just dash grab. Marth being one of them.
Yes, Luigi can be Chaingrabbed. But you MUST do the SCG and it must be frame perfect.

Against dumb characters that are hard to gimp like G&W, how should you edge guard?
I like the "ledgecamping with bairs" approach, but it's really only best at midrange. If your opponent is far away, going for a WoP is better. If your opponent is right next to the stage, ftilts, dtilts, and inhale would probably be better options.
But honestly, you should be trying to kill G&W off the top, not gimp him.

IS there any possibility that Wolf or DK can be a good Secondary for DDD?
DK is a good sub if you see a ton of Metaknights.
Wolf is a good sub if you don't see any Metaknights.
Game & Watch is also a good secondary for Dedede if you can get used to how vastly different their playstyles are.

Here is an interesting question. . .
King Dedede's Waddle Dees get stale every time you throw one, so when you do the lagless throw where you pick it up with "A", will it add to the staleness? Or is the "A" toss a separate move?
I tested it for literally 60 seconds before running out the door last night.
From what I saw, using A to throw a Waddle thats already out does NOT deteriorate the move. Not really a game-changing find, but an interesting fact.

DZLE

Smash Master
Do you all know D3 can walking CG Boswer and DK?
Yes, we all pretty much know this.

Also, D3 has a standing infinite on DK, and its super super easy. on DK the grabs dont decay, so you dont have to do a reset infinite. you can just infinite.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
How come your signature is similar to this one

lol jking

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
XD
I was about to do this
So well guess I'll post my uneeded thread question here lol

Do you all know D3 can walking CG Boswer and DK?
Yes, its discovered alredy and Bowser walking CG is a infinite not a CG.

edit: double post my bad. :(

DZLE

Smash Master
How come your signature is similar to this one

lol jking

Haha my buddy Dryu made me it, ask him XD

The placement with Nair is tough. I almost NEVER use this if I am above them, rather when they are above me. I use it similar to Jiggs down-b placement (where your right on top of them) but I Nair at their feet. I almost never Nair small characters, all though other D3's may do it differently.

Foursaken

Smash Apprentice
King DeDeDe does not have a pointless move in his arsenal. Not his jet hammer, and certainly not his neutral air. Take advantage of the fact it comes out fast, and use it to cover your others moves if they were air dodged through. For example, if I whiff a forward air, or up air, while chasing attempting to chase a Snake user off stage or above, neutral air comes out fast enough, and stays out long enough, to punish the ending frames of invincibility, along with the beginning frames of vulnerability.

DZLE

Smash Master
King DeDeDe does not have a pointless move in his arsenal. Not his jet hammer, and certainly not his neutral air. Take advantage of the fact it comes out fast, and use it to cover your others moves if they were air dodged through. For example, if I whiff a forward air, or up air, while chasing attempting to chase a Snake user off stage or above, neutral air comes out fast enough, and stays out long enough, to punish the ending frames of invincibility, along with the beginning frames of vulnerability.
Added. Amazing input!

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm glad we have this thread. It's better than people asking random questions in other threads.

DZLE

Smash Master
I'm glad we have this thread. It's better than people asking random questions in other threads.
That was kind of my point in making this. I am pretty sick of getting on the D3 Boards every day and seeing people ask the same thing over and over. "D3 CAN DO GRAB CHAINS?!" etc. etc...

Hopefully this thread can Eliminate at least SOME spam on the boards, make them look less cluttered, and keep them organized.

Coney

Smash Master
Dunno if this is worth mentioning, but I use DDD's nair as sort of an all-purpose aerial. If someone's too close to get hit with any of the others (and a fair is unfavorable due to lag), I'll pull one out. It pops them up a bit, usually in perfect distance for a fair or two.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
There is also a walking CG on Wolf and Ganondorf. DK, Samus, Mario, and Luigi can be standing infinited by Dedede.

Another good use for Nair is for canceling mortars. Yep, if it's coming at you and you're above it, Nair and that's the end of that mortar. Now you can worry about more important things, like not getting hit with Snake's tilts and actually killing him.

DZLE

Smash Master
Dunno if this is worth mentioning, but I use DDD's nair as sort of an all-purpose aerial. If someone's too close to get hit with any of the others (and a fair is unfavorable due to lag), I'll pull one out. It pops them up a bit, usually in perfect distance for a fair or two.
Worth Mentioning, as DDD's Nair is underused (especially by me lol) So I want alot of info on it. Also, this hasnt really repeated whats been said, so its worth mentioning. Added.

Also mentioning all of that, PPF

Once again, once we get more and more posts and get stickied (Like i hope we do)
I will organize each question into easy-to-find sections.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys have a xat chat? I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each main owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

To do it the main owner has to tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room, click get, select it, OK)

So far the Link, Mario, Pit, and Pikachu xats are connected.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
QUESTION:

The infinite is banned in my area, so I was wondering it it is possible to change directions during a CG. I can't test this now, but I'm guessing you'd have the best shot at doing this against characters the walking CG works on, like DK.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
QUESTION:

The infinite is banned in my area, so I was wondering it it is possible to change directions during a CG. I can't test this now, but I'm guessing you'd have the best shot at doing this against characters the walking CG works on, like DK.
Well due to not having Boost grabbing (because DeDeDe is too fat) he can't turn the CG around.
You can still try to change direction of the CG by B-throwing when you get to the ledge of the stage and try to get a tech chase and maybe continue chaingrabbing.
This maybe work on people like Bowser & DK but I'm not sure, I'll test later.

edit: Ok I tested its not posible to do a Pivot grab at the end of the CG but its posible if they spotdodge.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Well due to not having Boost Pivot grabbing (because DeDeDe is too fat) he can't turn the CG around.
You can still try to change direction of the CG by B-throwing when you get to the ledge of the stage and try to get a tech chase and continue chaingrabbing.
This maybe work on people like Bowser & DK but not sure I'll test later.
I didn't realize his bthrow sets up a tech chase...

DZLE

Smash Master
Umm... you forgot Wario. *Looks for link to my video*
Tested, and yes, yes It does work. added.

I added all of the input, questions, and answers.
Thanks to every for the questing/answers thus far!

I am glad this thread is working thus far, lets keep it going!

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Question

Whats the main difference between Uair & Dair? And which move is the best, Uair or Dair?

TheGungnir

Smash Cadet
Playing Dedede i don't notice a huge difference from the both of them, just that the Dair is used a lot more because Dedede goes into the air a decent amount. The Dair has a bit of a spike at the tip (not too noticeable). and Dair is good for the setup of the combo SH Fair 2nd hop Dair = no lag upon landing. The Uair has better damage than the Dair, but less Priority. The Uair is easier to DI out of than the Dair, and they both send the opponent up on the last rotation of his hammer.

Overall the Dair is better than the Uair

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Should one double jump before using dair to cancel the lag or just fullhop dair, because the other option takes to long or even short hop dair and risk the lag?

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Should one double jump before using dair to cancel the lag or just fullhop dair, because the other option takes to long or even short hop dair and risk the lag?
No.
The lag in King DeDeDe's Dair isn't much of a problem because you can do a Fair to Dair and land without any lag if you time it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crh1VYsCQKY&feature=PlayList&p=92A9D1F863E749AE&index=

You can also do a Dair out of a Shot Hop without lag but this needs good timing.

DZLE

Smash Master
Great info on everything, I have personally confirmed/tested everything thats been said personally, so I am glad we are getting straight information.

Keep it coming, and hopefully we can get this stickied!

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Another minor note on the Nair. The most important stuff has been mentioned, this is just a minor aside. Fast-falled Nair (into opponent on ground) into UTilt is a pretty handy little maneuver. This move is pretty all-purpose as stated before, certainly not as useless as some would have you believe.

Speaking of supposedly useless moves, what do you guys think of the Jet Hammer? I've found that lots of people don't see it coming, because they simply don't expect you to use it. Obviously its best for edgeguarding, but a tapped Down B comes out quick, and at higher percentages it can be an easy kill. You guys have any other uses for it?

DZLE

Smash Master
Another minor note on the Nair. The most important stuff has been mentioned, this is just a minor aside. Fast-falled Nair (into opponent on ground) into UTilt is a pretty handy little maneuver. This move is pretty all-purpose as stated before, certainly not as useless as some would have you believe.

Speaking of supposedly useless moves, what do you guys think of the Jet Hammer? I've found that lots of people don't see it coming, because they simply don't expect you to use it. Obviously its best for edgeguarding, but a tapped Down B comes out quick, and at higher percentages it can be an easy kill. You guys have any other uses for it?
I will add that fast fall nair in, I have actually used that in tourney matches, just never think of it lol.

And yeah, I dont use Jet Hammer til 80%+, personally. They never , ever see that thing coming... Sometimes you can pull it out and walk right up to them and they are still like "wtf?" And get hit.

Its a great move for catching off guard, not something you should spam by any means.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Definitely not spammable, but you can't pass up what is basically a mobile FSmash. 80 percent is usually where I start to think about using it. It's my favorite of his moves, because it is so effective.

DZLE

Smash Master
Definitely not spammable, but you can't pass up what is basically a mobile FSmash. 80 percent is usually where I start to think about using it. It's my favorite of his moves, because it is so effective.
Definitely, most definitely. a mobile Fsmash is sick.

TheGungnir

Smash Cadet
I don't believe i saw this mentioned, but it works out for me. The Nair is really good when they air dodge a Bair or a Fair. When you jump towards them and they dodge your Aerial, as soon as your animation is completed from the move, you can hop again and Nair into a Fair at lower percents, good if they air dodge a WoP.

The rocket hammer is really good if you can predict where a snake is going to land on a stage, or any character after their landing lag recovery. Take advantage of this for somewhat early kills, to give you that much more of an advantage. But obviously don't spam, you want to be as unpredictable as possible with it.

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
My opinion:
Nothing is bad for Dedede, persay. Even if he plays on Brinstar, Norfair, and the like, he's still an extremely effective character. It could be argued that his worst stage in general is Jungle Japes, due to the high ceiling, water, less space to chaingrab, and edge hazards, but even that never cripples Dedede.

Good stages? Everything else. Best stage is generally Final Destination, except against characters that Dedede can't chaingrab that ALSO have a general advantage on flat stages, and/or have a chaingrab on Dedede.
Best counterpick? Rainbow Cruise gets my vote.

Smudge

Smash Lord
Cool, Cheers.

Oh, just thought of something else, I heard about something you can do with his Jet Hammer, Something like sliding across the stage a good distance using Down B.

Any truth to that? if so, how'd you do it?

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Dedede does good in stages with small ceiling like Green Greens and in places with a lot of room to Chaingrab like Delfino Plaza and Castle Siege.(if you get a grab on the 2nd part of this stage its an auto kill, you can chaingrab them all the way to the sides and kill them just like in Delfino Plaza).

Dedede's worst stage in my oppinion is Jungle Japes. It has big ceiling meaning you can't kill them off the top easily, its has little space to chaingrab and also the water... :( Other bad stages for Dedede are Norfair & Brinstar.

Cool, Cheers.

I heard about something you can do with his Jet Hammer, Something like sliding across the stage a good distance using Down B.

Any truth to that? if so, how'd you do it?
You have to keep tapping constantly the stick to the side while you're using Jet hammer and you'll move faster than just walking and if you tap the stick faster you'll might be able to get the sliding Jet Hammer but that is more tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom