• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Minerali

Smash Apprentice
Man, Ganondorf's textures aren't friendly at all, now I get why all his texture hacks are pretty simple lol

Dinowaffles

Smash Cadet
I think we should make a dolphin only textures section in the OP instead of letting them get lost in the thread.

NRSamus

Smash Rookie
Has there been a texture hack with Falco's red alt on Fox? I'd really like to see that.

HumanMeatPuppet

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Is there any reason why in 20XX C. Falcon's red alternate costumes don't follow the same format? I can't seem to find a way to update the Flash texture to this one:

Or change the other alternate red costume.
I believe Falcons red alts are PlCaReR.usd (right) and PlCaReL.usd (left)

*edit
HumanMeatPuppet HumanMeatPuppet Just realized i put PlFc instead of PlCa, sorry about that, i fixed it above.

Last edited:

HumanMeatPuppet

Smash Cadet
I believe Falcons red alts are PlFcReR.dat (right) and PlFcReL.dat (left)
The only files I'm finding in the 20XX and vanilla root folders are:

PlCaRe.dat
PlCaRe.usd
PlCaRd.usd *
PlCaRl.usd *
PlCaRr.usd *

I've changed the file type within windows in order to try and make them work, but I still have the same issue. Will I need a program in order to change from .dat to .usd?

* denotes existing only in 20XX root folder

Last edited:

Minerali

Smash Apprentice
The only files I'm finding in the 20XX and vanilla root folders are:

PlCaRe.dat
PlCaRe.usd
PlCaRd.usd *
PlCaRl.usd *
PlCaRr.usd *

I've changed the file type within windows in order to try and make them work, but I still have the same issue. Will I need a program in order to change from .dat to .usd?

* denotes existing only in 20XX root folder
The files with the alternate L and R costumes are PlCaRl.usd and PlCaRr.usd respectively, and you can replace them with a .dat, there's no need for a converter

----------

Name: Agent Falco (replaces Neutral)
Made by: Minerali
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/b3dabnhgddqm254/Falco+-+Agent+Falco.zip

Name: Rawk Hawk (Replaces Neutral)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v8ty9m5rpgr2u2s/Falco+-+Rawk+Hawk.zip

Name: Zant (replaces Blue)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/b4tbtab1v8lkgmm/Falco+-+Zant.zip

Name: Apu (replaces Green)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/pel8gkmv6nrgug1/Ganondorf+-+Apu.zip

Last edited:

HumanMeatPuppet

Smash Cadet
The files with the alternate L and R costumes are PlCaRl.usd and PlCaRr.usd respectively, and you can replace them with a .dat, there's no need for a converter.
Thank you! I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was attempting to put certain textures into slots that they were not intended to be in, which actually brings up another question I have: Is it possible to change the slot that a color is intended to be in? For example, in the OP there is a Stormtrooper texture for Falcon. It is set in the neutral slot. My intention is to use it in the grey/black slot. Is there a way to do this without the game freaking out?

You guys have been very helpful with all of this and I thank you for your patience!

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
The files with the alternate L and R costumes are PlCaRl.usd and PlCaRr.usd respectively, and you can replace them with a .dat, there's no need for a converter

----------

Name: Agent Falco (replaces Neutral)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/b3dabnhgddqm254/Falco+-+Agent+Falco.zip

Name: Rawk Hawk (Replaces Neutral)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v8ty9m5rpgr2u2s/Falco+-+Rawk+Hawk.zip

Name: Zant (replaces Blue)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/b4tbtab1v8lkgmm/Falco+-+Zant.zip

Name: Apu (replaces Green)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/pel8gkmv6nrgug1/Ganondorf+-+Apu.zip
Nice Zant!

PrinceJohn

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
PRJN#560
Thank you! I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was attempting to put certain textures into slots that they were not intended to be in, which actually brings up another question I have: Is it possible to change the slot that a color is intended to be in? For example, in the OP there is a Stormtrooper texture for Falcon. It is set in the neutral slot. My intention is to use it in the grey/black slot. Is there a way to do this without the game freaking out?

You guys have been very helpful with all of this and I thank you for your patience!
Use DAT Texture Wizard. The CCC.

LydianAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
What does it do exactly? Modify the shininess value?
Yes. sort of.
There is a specularity/shininess value in the color struct, but modifying that doesn't do anything, I think it's because there is this other value which is unknown value in the material struct, which seems to control "max shininess" (I actually don't know what the value is for, it could be a bit masked enum, or just some enum for how the material reacts to light).

Here is the Color Struct:
Color Structures
Offset Size Format Description
0x00 1*4 unsigned RGBA Diffuse
0x04 1*4 unsigned RGBA Ambient
0x08 1*4 unsigned RGBA Specular
0x0C 4 float Transparency (1.0 = opaque)
0x10 4 float Unknown (Shininess?)
Editing the 4 byte float at offset 0x10 doesn't make the jacket shiny, and Fox and Falco actually have the same value for those bytes for their respective Color structs.
Here is the Material Struct:
Material Structures
0x00 4 pointer String Offset (typically unused)
0x04 2 unsigned Unknown Flags
0x06 2 unsigned Unknown Value
0x08 4 pointer Texture Struct Offset
0x0C 4 pointer Colors Struct Offset
0x10 4 unsigned Unknown
0x14 4 pointer Unknown (to struct of size 0x0C)
Editing the 2 byte unsigned value at offset 0x06 does make the jacket shiny (Fox has 0x001C for that value, whereas Falco has 0x0014)

EDIT: this is false: The DAT texture wizard doesn't seem to support editing that value (changes to it are not saved).
So that's what my program does, I have an array of offsets where the Unknown Value needs to be changed are, and it changes all of them.

:falcomelee:

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Yes. sort of.
There is a specularity/shininess value in the color struct, but modifying that doesn't do anything, I think it's because there is this other value which is unknown value in the material struct, which seems to control "max shininess" (I actually don't know what the value is for, it could be a bit masked enum, or just some enum for how the material reacts to light).

Color Structures
Editing the 4 byte float at offset 0x10 doesn't make the jacket shiny, and Fox and Falco actually have the same value for those bytes for their respective Color structs.
Material Structures
0x10 4 unsigned Unknown
Editing the 2 byte unsigned value at offset 0x06 does make the jacket shiny (Fox has 0x001C for that value, whereas Falco has 0x0014)

The DAT texture wizard doesn't seem to support editing that value (changes to it are not saved).
So that's what my program does, I have an array of offsets where the Unknown Value needs to be changed are, and it changes all of them.

All you do with DTW is enter a new value. Hit enter. Then save.

Tsuinami

Smash Rookie
Friendly reminder for everyone to not forget about editing the color structs of a texture, if you feel it is applicable.

An extreme example with AlexIsStarving's C9 puff:

View attachment 96397
Download
This was accomplished by changing a bunch of the color struct hex values from 0xB3B3B3FF to 0x008080FF [teal].
(After noticing many of Puff's skin color structs being identical, I just did a "replace all".)

View attachment 96398

As YvngFlameHow stated, nice work on the textures everybody.

Shoutouts to DRGN as always for DTW.

A little more info about the color structure.
Hey, trying my hand at a Ganon skin currently, super noob to this. How do you get the software to edit color structs like that? I google HexEdit 4 but I really find any downloads.

On another note, I wish i knew who created the Christmas Peach skin, the person seems to have added MORE textures to her? Anyone have any idea like how to add that extra weft of hair to her bangs like that?

LydianAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
All you do with DTW is enter a new value. Hit enter. Then save.
Did I really just develop an entire program because I wasn't hitting Enter?? Haha rekt.

But actually, I'm pretty sure I tried that. I'll try again when I get home tonight.

EDIT: yep it worked... *sigh*

Last edited:

Minerali

Smash Apprentice

DRGN

Technowizard
Yes. sort of.

Color Structures
Material Structures
0x10 4 unsigned Unknown

The DAT texture wizard doesn't seem to support editing that value (changes to it are not saved).

An early v4+ build of DTW had a bug that prevented saving of some structure values. Sounds like you might have that build. You could try again with the latest version (4.3 as of this writing). After you change a value and your cursor is still in the text entry field, hit Enter as Achilles said, and the field's background and the program's status message (in the upper right of the program) should change to red. Then you can go to the menus and hit save or you can use the keyboard shortcut 'Ctrl-s'. I should also point out that if you're on the DAT Texture Tree tab's "Properties" tab, and you move the mouse cursor outside of that area, then the text field will lose focus; you'll notice that you can't type in it anymore, which also means that the enter key won't save either. (This is due to a method to get the mouse wheel to automatically switch between scrolling the Properties tab and the list of textures on the left, by identifying what's being hovered over.)

Btw, you might be interested in some of the flag research going on here if you haven't already seen it. There's also a little more documentation here. If you or others figure out what specific flags are for, I can separate/identify them in DTW to make things easier/more user friendly. There are a few bytes that have been roughly attributed to lighting & shading, but not so much what the individual bits/flags actually enable or control.

(Fox has 0x001C for that value, whereas Falco has 0x0014)
These are the original values, correct? What do you change them to?

I still like that your program easily modifies all of the relevant material structs for you in one sweep though. What language are you using?

Minerali

Smash Apprentice

DRGN

Technowizard
Moved/fixed some things, and added more to the OPs:

Luigi | Franklin
Luigi On Ic- Fire
Alliance UGS Fox
Dedenne Pichu
Pikablu (Pikachu)
Transparent Stadium
Optimus Prime Samus
Cloud9 Young Link
Cloud9 Yoshi
True Blue Marth White Variant
True Blue Marth Black Variant
Blue ZeroVirus Fox
Black ZeroVirus Fox
Green ZeroVirus Fox
Blue-ish Yoshi
Black/Green Fox
White and Purple Blaster w/ Light Purple Lasers
Dark Purple Blaster w/ Dark Purple Lasers
Zombie Climbers
'Elegy of Emptiness' [Young] Link
Chillin's Story
Dark Green and Orange Marth
Jazz Cup Ness
The Flash (For Falcon, by MicroWade)
The Reverse Flash (Falcon)
Aesthetic Mount Olympus (Trophy Collector)
7 Granddad Mario
Shield Pack 1
Pokemon Shield Colors
Smash Logo Shield
Shine Shield
Grab Me! Shield
How to win melee [pause screen]

The black samus skin "Fusion Samus" is mistakenly under the Blue section right now, even though it's a black skin btw
Fixed.

BlackLeg

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlackLegg
This should be the right time to ask this...

Can someone explain to me what is Peco and why is it popular? lol

I've seen Scar wear a shirt like that and mention it a couple of times but I don't get it...?
He's a character from the anime Ping Pong the Animation. And I haven't seen it, but I guess he's supposed to be super cool.

Top Bottom