• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Just found out two files have received over 1000 downloads!!! Incredible. Thanks to all who visit the thread.
(For those wondering, this is the C9 Falco skin by Anutim)

xxn1ghtm4re

Smash Rookie
Are you are importing it into PlMs instead of PlMt?
I figured it out, there was a file where it said unable to view image, in dat wizard, so i just deleted that texture and then it made it work.

Thanks anyways

Last edited:

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
The main reason I dropped it was because of the shimmer. I didn't know how to get rid of it and I didn't understand the answer I got.
im not even quite sure that i know what the 'shimmer' is. is it an effect unique to falco?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
The main reason I dropped it was because of the shimmer. I didn't know how to get rid of it and I didn't understand the answer I got.
This is the quick example.

The highlighted section above is the color structure.

I changed the color structure to FF0000FF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF 3F800000 42480000 and this was the result (I did not change the image texture at all):

Just mess with the RGBA colors to get what you want.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So I kinda went crazy and made a bunch of cursors for the SSS. Also, you can give it color if you switch it to a _14 type texture!

DRGN's Stage Select Screen Cursor Pack (25 total!)

Some are custom made, others are from things I found online and edited.

The texture is at 0xDEC0 in MnSlMap (both .usd & .dat)

All of these have a texture type that's different than the original texture in order to support color, so you'll need to modify the texture's header in the MnSlMap file (or change the texture type back to _1, the default, but you'll lose the color if it has any). To modify the header, you just need to go to one specific byte in the file:

If you're using MnSlMap.usd, it's at offset is 0x6EDB3.
If you're using MnSlMap.dat, it's at offset is 0x792B3.
(^ These are for 1.02, but I'm guessing it's the same for the other game versions.)

There, you'll find "01" (which is the original texture's type), change this to "0e".

(And btw, if you're wondering why some end in _14, and some end in _e, it's the same thing; e is just hex for 14.)

Also included in the download is the GIMP project file, in case you want to tweak one of these to your liking.

Enjoy!
Which one is your favorite?

DRGN

Technowizard
Looks pretty good, but, mistakes were made....

I don't think anyone can see your images. Either your files aren't public, or you copied the webpage URLs rather than the actual images' (or both).

Which one is your favorite?
Not sure. My personal Melee build is kinda silly, so I have stuff from other games like the DBZ Announcer guy for "Ready...?! GO!" So I really like the GoldenEye one just for nostalgia, but it doesn't really match Melee at all, lol. Other ones I like that actually fit a bit better are Segmented Circle, 'Ring and Arrows 5', and Circles. I also thought about making another one that I had a rough idea for.

Any ideas that you'd like to see?

Last edited:

SipDatLean

Smash Rookie
i got a request for u savy texture hackers.. could someone make bulls stadium with a big bulls logo in the middle and granite black floor/platforms? would be siiiick if no one makes it I will take a stab at it never done a stage before tho

shoutout to the dude who made the RTJ stadium that stage is sick af

DRGN

Technowizard
is it possible to change the text entirely? someone shoud make one that says "ya bish" or something lol
Yeah, it's just an image.

I was gonna do "GG!" a long time ago, but I actually totally forgot about it until just now.

i got a request for u savy texture hackers.. could someone make bulls stadium with a big bulls logo in the middle and granite black floor/platforms? would be siiiick if no one makes it I will take a stab at it never done a stage before tho

shoutout to the dude who made the RTJ stadium that stage is sick af
Well I can certainly say it's now easier than ever. And for Stadium in particular, Achilles has a great example of how you can modify the platform colors too, here.

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
I have yet to figure it out. I was also wondering if you have an idea for the jacket, Its really for you, so i feel like you should have your ideas shown.
I'd say grey for the jacket, to make it look like the plumage. maybe the shirt/body area can be one shade of grey that matches the hands/wings, and the jacket a bit darker grey with white trim?

hopefully the details Achilles posted above help you with the shimmer

Deg

Smash Cadet
Made a new retexture. This time for yoshis. I went for a donkey kong themed level and even though I think this turned out fine it was impossible to make my vision come alive since yoshis use some very strange ways to colour the clouds and such (theres wood from the stage in the BG)

I wanted to make the balls in front of the stage inte logs but that requires a bunch of wierd offsets that i am not competent enough to get hold of. The balls don't look too out of place though so its fine.

Now to get inspiration for my next texture.

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
Thanks Achilles! Ill try to work on the Skin for Vestboy sometime. I have been very busy with midterms however. I have a few great ideas for some silly texture hacks.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Made a new retexture. This time for yoshis. I went for a donkey kong themed level and even though I think this turned out fine it was impossible to make my vision come alive since yoshis use some very strange ways to colour the clouds and such (theres wood from the stage in the BG)

I wanted to make the balls in front of the stage inte logs but that requires a bunch of wierd offsets that i am not competent enough to get hold of. The balls don't look too out of place though so its fine.

Now to get inspiration for my next texture.
You should try to finish it with the new dat texture wizard. It will make it easy to replace all textures. This is really close to being perfect. What problem are you having with the cloud. I might be able to help.

SnG | Skin

Smash Apprentice
Hello friends! I finally finished a request I had a very long time ago from @mezafuzzi . Sorry for being so late, college is difficult. But anyhow, heres deadpool!

Name: Deadpool (Replaces red .usd file)
Made by: Skin
Download link here (Emblem version): http://www.mediafire.com/download/ambiogmvc6g4mow
Download link here (No emblem): http://www.mediafire.com/download/6a36j5n6aogz8l6

EDIT: I see now that Saxon made a deadpool skin in my absence, oopsie. Oh well, whatever you guys want to use.

Last edited:

Deg

Smash Cadet
You should try to finish it with the new dat texture wizard. It will make it easy to replace all textures. This is really close to being perfect. What problem are you having with the cloud. I might be able to help.
I found out about 3.0 just as i finished the texture. I tried using it to fix the balls but the updated software has not resolved the problem.

About the wood in the background; the islands that you dont play on have a large chunk of dwood on the side. That is the samt texture as the wood in the sky. I tried to make both areas look good but in the end i found that making the island look better was less intrusive on the final product.

If you know which texture is for the stick on the sign the bee is carrying i would be very glad to know also. :p

CAVEM4N

Smash Rookie
Yeah, it's just an image.

I was gonna do "GG!" a long time ago, but I actually totally forgot about it until just now.

Well I can certainly say it's now easier than ever. And for Stadium in particular, Achilles has a great example of how you can modify the platform colors too, here.
If you do a "GG!" in 20XX Blue I would crown you king of my heart.

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
So I kinda went crazy and made a bunch of cursors for the SSS. Also, you can give it color if you switch it to a _14 type texture!

DRGN's Stage Select Screen Cursor Pack (25 total!)

Some are custom made, others are from things I found online and edited.

The texture is at 0xDEC0 in MnSlMap (both .usd & .dat)

All of these have a texture type that's different than the original texture in order to support color, so you'll need to modify the texture's header in the MnSlMap file (or change the texture type back to _1, the default, but you'll lose the color if it has any). To modify the header, you just need to go to one specific byte in the file:

If you're using MnSlMap.usd, it's at offset is 0x6EDB3.
If you're using MnSlMap.dat, it's at offset is 0x792B3.
(^ These are for 1.02, but I'm guessing it's the same for the other game versions.)

There, you'll find "01" (which is the original texture's type), change this to "0e".

(And btw, if you're wondering why some end in _14, and some end in _e, it's the same thing; e is just hex for 14.)

Also included in the download is the GIMP project file, in case you want to tweak one of these to your liking.

Enjoy!
Just an idea but, could you make a shine as the cursor?

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
Is it possible to make team colors besides red, blue, and green? For example, could you have a white and black team (with 20XX stuff)?

Escorcho

Smash Rookie
So I'm using this in 20xx, but with certain skins, especially Falcon skins, my game isn't able to load any stages. What is the problem? I've gotten quite a few of them working with the exact same process. Does it have anything to do with 20xx or is it something else?

Phantop

Smash Cadet
This is the quick example.

The highlighted section above is the color structure.

I changed the color structure to FF0000FF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF 3F800000 42480000 and this was the result (I did not change the image texture at all):

Just mess with the RGBA colors to get what you want.
Can't I just edit MaterialColorNode with Melee Toolkit?

DRGN

Technowizard
Just an idea but, could you make a shine as the cursor?
Yep. Already made one; just haven't released it. :p
View attachment 81953Anyone else getting this error from DAT texture wizard?
What exactly were you doing when you got this? What OS are you using it on (and is it 32 or 64 bit)? Also, typically bug reports should go in the thread for the program.
So I'm using this in 20xx, but with certain skins, especially Falcon skins, my game isn't able to load any stages. What is the problem? I've gotten quite a few of them working with the exact same process. Does it have anything to do with 20xx or is it something else?
What is "this"? It sounds like you might have replaced certain files with the wrong ones. For example, [besides a few exceptions] you can't put a costume built for a character's green costume over their red costume. Try putting the original files back and see if you can get the game to work again, if you do them one or a few at a time between tests, then you should be able to figure out which files were messing it up.
Can't I just edit MaterialColorNode with Melee Toolkit?
Probably (but I'm not sure; I'd have to look up what exactly that edits). Try it and see if it works.

Last edited:
Top Bottom