• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

AndySSBM

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know how I could use the default battlefield background with the matrix battlefield? any help would be greatly appreciated.

SLUGS

Smash Apprentice
Alright so I've got a smash 4 dark mewtwo skin ready to go for you guys.. The only thing I need help with is fixing his closed eye to the right color. For some reason the DTW freaks out when I try to replace it under the appropriate offsets. Here's some of the pictures though. And I attached the dat anyway.. If anyone wants to see if they can fix the .dat for me that'd be great as well lol idk what went wrong with it. But anywho

Name: Smash 4 Dark Mewtwo (replaces red)
Created By: Slugs
Dat: http://www.mediafire.com/download/eca72ha22wz4fm8/PlMtRe(Smash4Dark).dat

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Hey guys, I'm totally new to this whole texture hacking thing, so sorry if this is a silly question...Anyways, I've been applying textures to my Falcon and I'm just experimenting right now. But I ran into a small problem, and I'm not entirely sure how...I'm using Dolphin and the 20XX training mod for reference. So far, this is the only texture I've applied to my green paletted Falcon:
so it works, and everything, yay! (one thing to note, if I start up the game and don't even press the alt costume button, this one pops up). But the problem is, when I press L again (even if I don't remove the token from Falcon's player selection), I end up playing with this texture:
I have no idea what this texture is, where it came from, or why it's evident. Can anyone explain to me how to get rid of this one and replace it with the default?

And another thing, I replaced his blue texture with the Captain America texture, but it won't disable no matter what I try (not that it really matters, but I'd like to know if there's a way to disable it). Thanks in advance.

SillyGoose

Master of QWOP
Look in the 20xx thread, you can replace it the same as any other costume

Alright so I've got a smash 4 dark mewtwo skin ready to go for you guys.. The only thing I need help with is fixing his closed eye to the right color.
You and me both man. I've made a few jiggs and peach skins that I'm proud of but I can't put them up for download if they're eyes will either be the off-color original versions or the ****ed-up versions produced by DTW. Doesn't seem like anyone on smashboards knows the issue =/

I'll keep looking and let you know if I figure it out

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Alright so I've got a smash 4 dark mewtwo skin ready to go for you guys.. The only thing I need help with is fixing his closed eye to the right color. For some reason the DTW freaks out when I try to replace it under the appropriate offsets. Here's some of the pictures though. And I attached the dat anyway.. If anyone wants to see if they can fix the .dat for me that'd be great as well lol idk what went wrong with it. But anywho

Name: Smash 4 Dark Mewtwo (replaces red)
Created By: Slugs
Dat: http://www.mediafire.com/download/eca72ha22wz4fm8/PlMtRe(Smash4Dark).dat
Look in the 20xx thread, you can replace it the same as any other costume

You and me both man. I've made a few jiggs and peach skins that I'm proud of but I can't put them up for download if they're eyes will either be the off-color original versions or the ****ed-up versions produced by DTW. Doesn't seem like anyone on smashboards knows the issue =/

I'll keep looking and let you know if I figure it out
The problem isn't with DTW, it's with the oddness of eye textures (tiny palettes, etc). See my latest post in the texture hacking guide. Hopefully it helps.

SillyGoose

Master of QWOP
Last edited:

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
The Character Select Screen came out Perfect! Thank You! I sent you a reply email for anything else you would consider doing. You have been payed and Thanks Again! : D
Do you mind sharing it ? I'm curious how it looks.

Anyway, I did another simple texture, one that goes over Falco :

Name: Team Rocket Falco (Replaces Neutral)
Made by: antvibe8
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/tv353imgap41imq/Team Rocket Falco.rar

So I started working with Falco's textures and god, they are a *****. In fact there is very few textures but they are mirrored everywhere and this is a real pain to work with.

For example, my project here is to make some (non vertex) sunglasses for Falco. I can work with the base texture for this but this isn't the problem, it lies in his eyes, when he closes it:

and the texture while he looks away on some animations, during his jump for example, isn't the same and I can't find it anywhere using meleetoolkit.

(I didn't do any screenshots with the wip texture in this pose so this is just so you can see what i'm talking about)

I am lost, what can I do ? Here is as far as I got for now, by blackening a portion of his eye and on the base texture.

By the way, how hard would it be to vertex mod a simple model of glasses on his model ?

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
Do you mind sharing it ? I'm curious how it looks.

Anyway, I did another simple texture, one that goes over Falco :

Name: Team Rocket Falco (Replaces Neutral)
Made by: antvibe8
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/tv353imgap41imq/Team Rocket Falco.rar

So I started working with Falco's textures and god, they are a *****. In fact there is very few textures but they are mirrored everywhere and this is a real pain to work with.

For example, my project here is to make some (non vertex) sunglasses for Falco. I can work with the base texture for this but this isn't the problem, it lies in his eyes, when he closes it:

and the texture while he looks away on some animations, during his jump for example, isn't the same and I can't find it anywhere using meleetoolkit.

(I didn't do any screenshots with the wip texture in this pose so this is just so you can see what i'm talking about)

I am lost, what can I do ? Here is as far as I got for now, by blackening a portion of his eye and on the base texture.

By the way, how hard would it be to vertex mod a simple model of glasses on his model ?
Melee Toolkit doesn't show all the textures. Download Steelia's texture pack. As for vertex hacking, I think @ Tcll Tcll is our man for that.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
eh... very technical and demanding...

you'd have to realign the entire file just to add 1 extra vert

that being said, resizing the data tree seems likely to cause issues... (I could be wrong though)
(it has to do with the amount of pointers in relocation table)
^ not solid facts as I don't think something like this has been tested with player files...

to add, idk how melee actually handles the files :p

EDIT:
just so everyone knows, I won't have anything to show for a while...
I'm currently at a standstill trying to calculate a bind matrix from the supplied LRS coords...
(I've nearly ran off the edge of my knowledge)

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice

SillyGoose

Master of QWOP
GALE01-14.png

Shiny Jiggs with Silver Crown
Made by: Goose (replaces yellow)
Download Link Here: https://www.mediafire.com/?xrikj15pu5cv4a7

Half-closed Eyes Jiggs
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/mmu6abmbqkbcg1u/

GALE01-15.png

Trapped in Time Jiggs (monochrome, permanently closed eyes)
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wdf5g5fby91323b

The last one faces issues because when you rest and miss, it can be misleading because she always has her eyes closed anyway. I experimented with making her only open her eyes after rest, but then its really weird when she blinks.

Much thanks to DRGN for insight into Eye Palettes. I would have put these skins over different costumes (I wanted to use the neutral skin) but I am NOT about to track down palette offsets for another skin.

If someone wants to turn the half-closed eye skin into some kind of blazed/THC skin it looks like it would probably look funny but I don't enjoy those skins

Time to start working on some sheik skins. My goal is to get one in the hackpack ;-)

EDIT:Formatting

Attachments

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Found some stuff.

10ee20 in EfCo modified.png
Yoshi's egg has different textures for the shrapnel (when he breaks out of it) than it does while he's actually staying in it, for both his shield and side-B.

Texture for broken pieces: In EfCoData.dat @ 0x10EE20 (used when he breaks out of shield or side-B)
It's a full texture that contains many spots, so you could do a large design, albeit it just breaks apart, so it's not that much of an advantage.

Spot texture: In PlYsNr.dat @ 0x2A060.
This is what appears on the egg while he's staying in it (both in shield and side-B). It's just a single green spot, so you can't do real intricate designs.

Quick test/example:

Eggs.png

Name: Eggception Eggs
Made By: DRGN
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/y34pkrfb6fl2f07/Eggception_Eggs.zip

Code:
[ATTACH=full]49616[/ATTACH]
Name: Eggception Eggs
Made By: DRGN
Download Link: [URL]http://www.mediafire.com/download/y34pkrfb6fl2f07/Eggception_Eggs.zip[/URL]
@ Veggies Veggies ^

I also found identical textures in ItCo.dat and ItCo.usd, @ 0xAAEC0 (the spot) and 0xADB20 (shrapnel), and @ 0xA5860 (the spot) and 0xA84C0 (shrapnel), respectively. I thought for sure these would be Yoshi's Egg Toss projectile, but they're not. Also, when I play as Yoshi, none of these 4 textures are loaded. Any ideas of what these could be for?

Edit: Pretty sure I found the Egg Toss textures; will test/update tomorrow.

That's cool. I really like how you gave the names unique backdrops. I most like the styles of Pichu/Pikachu/Peach/Yoshi/DK (where did you get these?), which look like they might have been made by the same artist. Did you draw some of these, or did you find all the images?

Last edited:

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
eh... very technical and demanding...

you'd have to realign the entire file just to add 1 extra vert

that being said, resizing the data tree seems likely to cause issues... (I could be wrong though)
(it has to do with the amount of pointers in relocation table)
^ not solid facts as I don't think something like this has been tested with player files...

to add, idk how melee actually handles the files :p

EDIT:
just so everyone knows, I won't have anything to show for a while...
I'm currently at a standstill trying to calculate a bind matrix from the supplied LRS coords...
(I've nearly ran off the edge of my knowledge)
Okay so it isn't possible as it is for the present day, that sucks.

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
That's cool. I really like how you gave the names unique backdrops. I most like the styles of Pichu/Pikachu/Peach/Yoshi/DK (where did you get these?), which look like they might have been made by the same artist. Did you draw some of these, or did you find all the images?
All images were found via google. If you are referring to the name plates, I simply pulled sprites from sprite sheets and adjusted them to fit onto the name plate. If you are referring to the actual character image, I believe they were all official Nintendo artwork

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Shiny Jiggs with Silver Crown
View attachment 49624
https://www.mediafire.com/?xrikj15pu5cv4a7

Half-closed Eyes Jiggs

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mmu6abmbqkbcg1u/

Trapped in Time Jiggs (monochrome, permanently closed eyes)
View attachment 49625
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wdf5g5fby91323b

Much thanks to DRGN for insight into Eye Palettes. I would have put these skins over different costumes (I wanted to use the neutral skin) but I am NOT about to track down palette offsets for another skin.

If someone wants to turn the half-closed eye skin into some kind of blazed/THC skin it looks like it would probably look funny but I don't enjoy those skins

Time to start working on some sheik skins. My goal is to get one in the hackpack ;-)
put in correct format

OmnipotentSpoon

Smash Cadet
This is mostly for personal use, but in case anyone else wants it I made a virginia tech falco skin. I used Steelia's HQ texture as the base because it looks amazing, hopefully that's ok.

I made one with the logo and one without the logo in case anyone wants just the color scheme.

Name: Hokie Bird
Made by: OmnipotentSpoon
Download links: http://www.mediafire.com/download/q6urpjlq0cqs722/PlFcRe-VT_NoLogo.dat Download without VT on chest
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5cn5c8vef0wq2wn/PlFcRe-VT.dat Download with VT on chest

As a side note, I saw some talk about the material color nodes displayed in the melee toolkit and figured I would expand on what they represent because I haven't seen it written out in this thread.
In the Plxxxx.dat files one of the more common color effects formats is the 42 48 format which are actually what the melee toolkit is reading. There's a lot more in the Changing color effects thread, but the basic idea is that you get a string that ends with 42 48. An example I'll use is Falco's texture 19 values because they've been talked about and I just worked with them.

Offset 8080 in PlFcRe.dat - B3 B3 B3 FF B3 B3 B3 FF 00 80 CC FF 3F 80 00 00 42 48
It is broken up into 2 different colors, what color the texture reflects/shines, and the transparency value.
The two different colors in this case are both B3 B3 B3, and the FF between them does not do anything important so I just don't touch it.
Then after that the 00 80 CC represents which color the texture reflects.
And the 3F 80 is a transparency value that doesn't really do much in my testing. According to LanceInThePants it can crash the game if messed with though, so probably leave it alone too.

So in the melee toolkit it represents what I call color one (The first B3 B3 B3) as the 0x00 color value. The 0x04 color value is the second B3 B3 B3. And the 0x08 color is the reflected color.

So for example with Falco, you make a color other than blue for his head and want it to look only like your texture without the blue tint or any reflected color. Then look at what the texture is numbered in melee toolkit, texture 19 in this case, go to the 19th JointDataNode, then it's MaterialColorNode and put FF FF FF FF(the last FF should be left because it's irrelevant) for the first two colors, and 00 00 00 00(Again the last 00 is not relevant) for the third color. Or look at the node location and go to that offset in the .dat file.

Hopefully this helps someone, I'll try to format this better later when I have more time.

SillyGoose

Master of QWOP
put in correct format
Okay done.

also here is a neon yoshi's story that is an amalgation of all the YS textures that I thought were cool:

original red platforms (I thought the purple ones were too hard to see)
Boo/DryBones
"Deal with it" Randall

GALE01-18.png

Name: Bedtime Story (replaces GrSt)
Made by: Goose (credit to Achilles, Destructicon, Veggies, Goxplex)
Download Link Here: https://www.mediafire.com/?1h35rrajet0acya

Obviously it doesn't make sense because randall is wearing sunglasses at night, but we can just assume that this Randall is a douchebag

If I knew how to get sunglasses on Boo I probably would but thats beyond me for now

Edit: also does anyone know how to edit the image that appears in the magnifying glass for a texture?

Last edited:

Mingo

Smash Cadet
Okay done.

also here is a neon yoshi's story that is an amalgation of all the YS textures that I thought were cool:

original red platforms (I thought the purple ones were too hard to see)
Boo/DryBones
"Deal with it" Randall

View attachment 49713
Name: Bedtime Story (replaces GrSt)
Download Link Here: https://www.mediafire.com/?hbg04gc5m1flvhg

Obviously it doesn't make sense because randall is wearing sunglasses at night, but we can just assume that this Randall is a douchebag

If I knew how to get sunglasses on Boo I probably would but thats beyond me for now

Edit: also does anyone know how to edit the image that appears in the magnifying glass for a texture?
Awesome work man! Hey it would be awesome if we could get the purple platforms as well, if your up for it! :) . and by magnifying glass i assume you mean the image that is on the sign the elephant holds in vanilla melee?

Last edited:

SillyGoose

Master of QWOP
Awesome work man! Hey it would be awesome if we could get the purple platforms as well, if your up for it! :) . and by magnifying glass i assume you mean the image that is on the sign the elephant holds in vanilla melee?
Ok here
http://i.imgur.com/TXLFEON.png
Name: Bedtime Story (Purple Platforms)
Download Link Here: https://www.mediafire.com/?1h35rrajet0acya

I'm not going to make another combo, it takes 2 minutes in a hex editor

No by magnifying glass i meant when characters are far off stage and take camera percent, all my textures are the originals and I don't know how to change it

although its funny that you mention Pak E Derm's sign because I was also having trouble changing that

Last edited:

Sqezzy

Smash Rookie
@ Veggies Veggies I reuploaded my screenshot of princess bubblegum zelda on page 31--the last screenshot got deleted

It won't go anywhere this time, I used imgur! haha

SillyGoose

Master of QWOP
Added flying animations for the dry bones - I'm surprised there weren't any already. I'm not a great artist or anything but they look fine.

Added shades to boo to match randall, and gave him a crown because its awesome and canon

GALE01-28.png

Name:Bedtime Story (Deal with it edition) (Purple platforms)
Made by: Goose
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/w7vrknr7012evsa

Red Platforms: https://www.mediafire.com/?gz777rxz7gne0gu

I thought about changing boo to dark boo from paper mario but decided it would look ugly.

Sorry for spamming this thread. I really should mull over my ideas before posting, because I always seem to think of an improvement instantly. I'm definitely done with this tho.

Edit: @ Veggies Veggies this one is much better/ more original if you want to just replace the one you put in the first post. Sorry about that =/

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
@ Goatlink Goatlink :
do you have any findings to add to the texture structures of my docs?? :)

http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/HAL_DAT_(File_Format)

because idk anything about the actual shading applied to them >_>

I've noticed your checkered test texture has no shading.
I didnt find the shading offset, Decipio-Carmen did, I just used it. "Offset 0x04 for MaterialNodes (the melee toolkit says its an unknown flag) is for shading."
It's labeled "Texture 4 (00021920)" It's for green sheik (PISkGr.dat)

I did, however, find out that Offset 0x04 for MaterialNodes (the melee toolkit says its an unknown flag) is for shading. Check it out: the default value for shading seems to be 0000 001c:

but when I tried changing it to 0000 0000 the shading is gone:

Just going based off these 2 pictures, it seems that the higher the hex value, the more shading there is. Maybe you guys already knew this, but I thought I would share it just in case. Anyways, I'm giving up for now.

Top Bottom