• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Mingo

Smash Cadet
wait umm... sorry for the double post i'll delete this post and edit the first one once someone answers, but how do you upload and image (PNG)?

*EDIT*
so i guess you can't delete posts apparently, sorry guys :(

Last edited:

chinxadelic

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I was just looking for some cool colors for falco and Fox's lasers. I'm particularly wanting blue for falco like brawl but I'm not being picky, if you got a bunch of different ones I'll take any I just wanna try some out. Thanks in advance :-D

Edit: also if they've already been posted you can just direct me to the page, I tried looking but it's kind of a pain

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
Hey guys I was just looking for some cool colors for falco and Fox's lasers. I'm particularly wanting blue for falco like brawl but I'm not being picky, if you got a bunch of different ones I'll take any I just wanna try some out. Thanks in advance :-D

Edit: also if they've already been posted you can just direct me to the page, I tried looking but it's kind of a pain
Check the changing effects thread (stickied).

Decipio-Carmen

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. I'm trying to make a Espada Nel themed Sheik. I'm trying to put a "3" on the back, but I'm having trouble because there's only one file for half of the back and it's just mirrored to the other side. So if I put a 3, I'll end up with 2 3's.. So I just put them on the legs for now lol. For a similar reason, I can't put a skull mask on her head. Are there any known workarounds for this?

Here's a WIP:

CeLL

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I'm trying to make a Espada Nel themed Sheik. I'm trying to put a "3" on the back, but I'm having trouble because there's only one file for half of the back and it's just mirrored to the other side. So if I put a 3, I'll end up with 2 3's.. So I just put them on the legs for now lol. For a similar reason, I can't put a skull mask on her head. Are there any known workarounds for this?

Here's a WIP:

If the image you are trying to put is symmetrical, you can just put half of it on the edge and the mirror will complete it.

zankyou

Smash Lord
If the image you are trying to put is symmetrical, you can just put half of it on the edge and the mirror will complete it.
Well the image is that of the number 3 so its not too symmetrical, but this is about the best we have so far.

Here's a WIP:

The only idea I have is to change the texture flag. Ive only really done this with stages but one of the flags mirrors images. If you set that to 0 it should just stretch the image over the entire back. Youll probably have to change the image size as well. Its probably more complicated than youre willing to try but if you post the offset for the back along with a file with the 3 being mirrored ill look into it at some point. No promises though. Ive suddenly become incredibly busy.

Decipio-Carmen

Smash Apprentice
It's labeled "Texture 4 (00021920)" It's for green sheik (PISkGr.dat)

Here's what I put... I didn't put a 3 in it.

I tried doubling the width and replacing it in the toolkit but it complained about the difference in size. Here's the image stretched with the 3 added (the top of the 3 is supposed to be cut off btw):

The next thing I tried was changing the file width. I was scrolling through the "Nodes" tab in the melee toolkit and noticed found an ImageHeader for the file being mirrored (texture 4). I noticed that the width was 0100 and height 0080 (hex for 256 x 128). So I wondered if I could directly change these dimensions with a text editor. I opened the .dat file in sublime and did a ctrl + f for "0002 1920" and found the bits corresponding to that ImageHeader. I found the string "0002 1920 0100 0080" and changed it to "0002 1920 0200 0080" and saved the .dat file. When I reopened it in the toolkit, I saw the ImageHeader changed to reflect the new width. This allowed me to add the stretched texture with the new size, HOWEVER when I saved everything and loaded it up in dolphin it was still mirrored and the textures connected to it became distorted (only the image but not the shape). After trying to change some more hex values, I am still unsuccessful, and still don't know which hex values are responsible for mirroring texture 4.

I did, however, find out that Offset 0x04 for MaterialNodes (the melee toolkit says its an unknown flag) is for shading. Check it out: the default value for shading seems to be 0000 001c:

but when I tried changing it to 0000 0000 the shading is gone:

Just going based off these 2 pictures, it seems that the higher the hex value, the more shading there is. Maybe you guys already knew this, but I thought I would share it just in case. Anyways, I'm giving up for now.

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
It's labeled "Texture 4 (00021920)" It's for green sheik (PISkGr.dat)

Here's what I put... I didn't put a 3 in it.

I tried doubling the width and replacing it in the toolkit but it complained about the difference in size. Here's the image stretched with the 3 added (the top of the 3 is supposed to be cut off btw):

The next thing I tried was changing the file width. I was scrolling through the "Nodes" tab in the melee toolkit and noticed found an ImageHeader for the file being mirrored (texture 4). I noticed that the width was 0100 and height 0080 (hex for 256 x 128). So I wondered if I could directly change these dimensions with a text editor. I opened the .dat file in sublime and did a ctrl + f for "0002 1920" and found the bits corresponding to that ImageHeader. I found the string "0002 1920 0100 0080" and changed it to "0002 1920 0200 0080" and saved the .dat file. When I reopened it in the toolkit, I saw the ImageHeader changed to reflect the new width. This allowed me to add the stretched texture with the new size, HOWEVER when I saved everything and loaded it up in dolphin it was still mirrored and the textures connected to it became distorted (only the image but not the shape). After trying to change some more hex values, I am still unsuccessful, and still don't know which hex values are responsible for mirroring texture 4.

I did, however, find out that Offset 0x04 for MaterialNodes (the melee toolkit says its an unknown flag) is for shading. Check it out: the default value for shading seems to be 0000 001c:

but when I tried changing it to 0000 0000 the shading is gone:

Just going based off these 2 pictures, it seems that the higher the hex value, the more shading there is. Maybe you guys already knew this, but I thought I would share it just in case. Anyways, I'm giving up for now.
Awesome discovery! I'm not sure if anyone knew about how shading works or if could be turned off.

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
Reserved For Things and Stuff!
Can you put any of these textures (CSS, Costumes, Stages) into a 20XX game file? I just dont want to sacrifice such a great tool for practice for style points.

FruitNukes

Smash Rookie
Here's a skin I've made in the last couple days, with a Kill Bill theme!
(All design choices originally based off of http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ot6C1ZKyiME/maxresdefault.jpg)

Name: Kill Fox
Made By: FruitNukes
Download Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?hwwd7vk8xmsu62e

This skin replaces Falco's green suit.

A couple of things to note... this is still (sort of) a WiP - I plan to still add a bit of shading in Photoshop, and I'll update this post once that's taken care of; however, I won't get a chance to do that for a little while. Due to the nature of Falco's suit, certain parts are mirrored a lot - in specific, Falco's JacketF, hence the mirror logos on the front, as well as the blue strip on the inside of his collar, and the yellow/grey sections on the outside of his collar. The majority of his jacket textures also have a bit of warping in them to fit the model, so those are generally the sources of any oddities. I've seen a couple workarounds mentioned, but I haven't been able to try any yet. I'll try to keep continually fixing this costume up, though. :)
Because, as far as I remembered, Beatrix's jacket was blank on the backside in the movies, I decided to try my hand at adding the Honzo sword logo. Obviously, I'm not the best artist, and if you think you could fix up a couple areas, I wouldn't mind providing you with some of the original image replacements I created. Hope you enjoy, and any comments/suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

TimpZ

Smash Cadet

Name: DPKR Marth
Made by: TimpZ
DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5k2rv8vu5blv3w/DPKR%20Marth.zip?dl=0
Replaces red Marth

Made this when messing around with Marth's textures. It includes the source tga's in case someone wants to build on it since I edited very few parts of his textures and while I'd like to lower the symbol position and perhaps lower the alpha on the symbol I don't feel like finding the correct addresses of them at least right now. Black hair because blue hair colours are not DPKR approved!

Also as a bonus here's an image I made to be able to edit the textures more knowingly:

EDIT: I accidentally uploaded an old version with a wider logo. I updated the link so it now has the one that you can see on my image. Sorry about that :p.

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman

DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5k2rv8vu5blv3w/DPKR Marth.zip?dl=0
Replaces red Marth

Made this when messing around with Marth's textures. It includes the source tga's in case someone wants to build on it since I edited very few parts of his textures and while I'd like to lower the symbol position and perhaps lower the alpha on the symbol I don't feel like finding the correct addresses of them at least right now. Black hair because blue hair colours are not DPKR approved!

Also as a bonus here's an image I made to be able to edit the textures more knowingly:

EDIT: I accidentally uploaded an old version with a wider logo. I updated the link so it now has the one that you can see on my image. Sorry about that :p.
Change your download link so it doesn't include spaces please.

CV Colt

Smash Rookie
New to this thread ... don't know if Trunks from DBZ skin for Marth is a thing, but it should be.

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible to put the textures on a physical copy of Melee?
By physical I assume you mean on a mini-disc, and I would assume yes. You should be able to access the files through some way of decompiling and recompiling although I have no idea about what the structure is like. Also good luck trying to find the one disk drive that actually reads those things.

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
veggies you "liked" my request for a dry bones yoshi skin. does this mean you are working on it or?

DRGN

Technowizard
Is it possible to put the textures on a physical copy of Melee?
It should be the standard .gcn/.iso disc image. (.gcn is the same thing as an iso, it's just renamed to help distinguish that the image is intended to be read by a GameCube or Wii system.) So you can hack an original copy of the game with GCRebuilder or other tools-of-the-trade and then burn the new copy to a mini-disc. AFAIK, the only difference between a standard full-size disc and a mini-disc is their storage capacity. So any standard DVD±RW drive should be able to read/write to them just fine. I'm pretty sure this is how early pioneers hacked the game anyway, before people had powerful enough comps for Dolphin.

FruitNukes

Smash Rookie
It should be the standard .gcn/.iso disc image. (.gcn is the same thing as an iso, it's just renamed to help distinguish that the image is intended to be read by a GameCube or Wii system.) So you can hack an original copy of the game with GCRebuilder or other tools-of-the-trade and then burn the new copy to a mini-disc. AFAIK, the only difference between a standard full-size disc and a mini-disc is their storage capacity. So any standard DVD±RW drive should be able to read/write to them just fine. I'm pretty sure this is how early pioneers hacked the game anyway, before people had powerful enough comps for Dolphin.
I can't be completely sure, but I think Nammy might be referring to something kind of like loading a Gecko code; where you'd just use your standard Melee disc and load something that'd just be applied to the game, rather than cracking open your disc and burning the new version of Melee onto a new mini-disk. Just my interpretation.

DRGN

Technowizard
^ Maybe. Also, I should mention that I think this is really the way to go for hacking Melee, which works on non-modified consoles (since one would guess that's why the disc question was asked). I mean, seriously, that's going to be the future.

I gotta limit ever editing this post so I get a timestamp of saying this [somewhat] early, lol.

zankyou

Smash Lord
^ Maybe. Also, I should mention that I think this is really the way to go for hacking Melee, which works on non-modified consoles (since one would guess that's why the disc question was asked). I mean, seriously, that's going to be the future.

I gotta limit ever editing this post so I get a timestamp of saying this [somewhat] early, lol.
Yeah Ive been thinking the same ever since I heard about it. When everyone gets their hands on a memory card hacking so many does would open. Not sure of the limitations though.

Last edited:

TimpZ

Smash Cadet
Change your download link so it doesn't include spaces please.
I'm trying to but the site won't let me. Whenever I replace it with the link containing %20 the space comes up and when I try to unlink the text it becomes linked when saved anyway..

Doq

Smash Lord
From TimpZ:

DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5k2rv8vu5blv3w/DPKR%20Marth.zip?dl=0
Replaces red Marth

-----

Fixed ya up.
Always remember to never use the rich text editor.

Last edited:

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
well veggies if you wont do it, maybe someone will.

if someone makes a good Yoshi reskin that makes him look like drybones, ill give you a 5 dollar amazon giftcard.

you might have to do some model hacking or something idk. good luck.

Decipio-Carmen

Smash Apprentice
It seems that the red ranger falcon texture in the OP doesn't work. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Edit: nevermind, it I just realized there are two files. A .dat file and a .usd file T_T

Last edited:

TimpZ

Smash Cadet
Yes so reupload your file without spaces
I can't do that without it being a mess for me at the moment and I think I will continue to work on it so when I do then I will do that. For now though you can right click the link and copy the address if you want. Otherwise here's a shortener: http://bombch.us/zxj

Fixed ya up.
Always remember to never use the rich text editor.
Am I missing something? I see literally no difference.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Do you guys think we should have a thread for stock icons like we do for CSPs?
I made this for purple Falcon, not very good but better than the default xD (click to get TPL)

TimpZ

Smash Cadet
Ah I see now. Thanks for showing me that I didn't know that was the issue.

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys think we should have a thread for stock icons like we do for CSPs?
I made this for purple Falcon, not very good but better than the default xD (click to get TPL)
Do we know where all of the stock icons and their palettes are located now? I thought they were too hard to find and that's why people didn't make too many custom ones.

Top Bottom