• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Phantop

Smash Cadet
I like the ishiiruka build i see being used here. also like this kirby lol
I tried experimenting with different images, even making a csp that I haven't seen anything similar to:

BTW: This killed my pc, it can't even play unshaded and normal scaled melee.

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
I started making this. This is all i've done so far:
thanks for the attempt! i was thinking a dark grey jacket w/ white trim and a light grey shirt/pants to mimic the plumage. not sure about how to capture the 'crest' look. maybe a gradient from a grey in the back-of-the-head area (the back two spikes) leading into a yellow front face/top of head/front 2 spikes. the red cheeks are going to make or break it depending how they're placed. not sure what to do for the boots. for the eyes i was wondering how bad it would look to have two big black dots, which would make him look less angry / cuter if done well. may be a bit too realistic though.

cant wait for the next version.

Last edited:

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
I tried experimenting with different images, even making a csp that I haven't seen anything similar to:

BTW: This killed my pc, it can't even play unshaded and normal scaled melee.
i know them feels my dude. I had the same problem till i upgraded my pc.

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
Hey guys, I've been lurking the workshop for a while now and need some help. On Yoshi's Story the circles infront of the stage will sometimes revert back to their original colors depending on the camera angle. I've changed Islandside and Islandside_light in Steelia's pack. There doesn't seem to be any other texture for the circles but it still keeps changing. I went and dumped the textures from Dolphin to double check, my modified files were the only ones that I saw. The circles on the background island also seem to be the original colors too so I assume it's tied to that, I just can't find the texture to change.

those are mipmap textures, don't bother asking because I already did and nobody cared to answer.

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
Yeah he talked about that but I have no idea what to do, I searched for information about this old technique but I found nothing apparently...

Phantop

Smash Cadet
Does anybody know how to remove the shiny effect from falco? It really screws up the skin im working on.

JusticeLazer

Smash Rookie

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I've been lurking the workshop for a while now and need some help. On Yoshi's Story the circles infront of the stage will sometimes revert back to their original colors depending on the camera angle. I've changed Islandside and Islandside_light in Steelia's pack. There doesn't seem to be any other texture for the circles but it still keeps changing. I went and dumped the textures from Dolphin to double check, my modified files were the only ones that I saw. The circles on the background island also seem to be the original colors too so I assume it's tied to that, I just can't find the texture to change.

I had the same issue and am having trouble remembering how exactly I solved it... sorry :(

Edit: Didn't see you solved it!

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
Cool! Looking forward to that :)
Alright, as for how you blank certain parts of models. If you go to hex 0x0018B60 in my hack, and compare it to a normal PlSkWh.dat, you'll see I blanked a lot of hex. This hex is the face data (aka, what connects the vertices of the model to make a surface), and is surrounded by pointers (which you must not blank). A player model is made up of multiples of these, depending on the character (for example, I'd wager a guess Kirby is made up of 6 (not counting his low poly model). 2 for his arms, 2 for his legs, 1 for his body, and 1 for the inside of his mouth). I used this blanking method to get rid of Shieks frontal hair (both in high poly and low poly), and then just model hacked her head to look like a mask (which was not easy :/. Model hacking is currently very primitive. I use a very basic program of my own creation to simplify it a bit, but even then a hack like this took me around 3 weeks).

I won't go into further detail (it's not what this thread is for), but I hope that answered your question.

JusticeLazer

Smash Rookie
Alright, as for how you blank certain parts of models. If you go to hex 0x0018B60 in my hack, and compare it to a normal PlSkWh.dat, you'll see I blanked a lot of hex. This hex is the face data (aka, what connects the vertices of the model to make a surface), and is surrounded by pointers (which you must not blank). A player model is made up of multiples of these, depending on the character (for example, I'd wager a guess Kirby is made up of 6 (not counting his low poly model). 2 for his arms, 2 for his legs, 1 for his body, and 1 for the inside of his mouth). I used this blanking method to get rid of Shieks frontal hair (both in high poly and low poly), and then just model hacked her head to look like a mask (which was not easy :/. Model hacking is currently very primitive. I use a very basic program of my own creation to simplify it a bit, but even then a hack like this took me around 3 weeks).

I won't go into further detail (it's not what this thread is for), but I hope that answered your question.
Are there any threads or guides else where that would help someone get started with changing the actual model? I've been trying to wrap my head around understanding .dat structure layout better and I've been skimming through the later pages of Melee Hacks and You thread but I haven't found anything super detailed about it. Like you said this isn't the thread for that, I've just been wanting to learn more about it.

Phantop

Smash Cadet

zankyou

Smash Lord
Are there any threads or guides else where that would help someone get started with changing the actual model? I've been trying to wrap my head around understanding .dat structure layout better and I've been skimming through the later pages of Melee Hacks and You thread but I haven't found anything super detailed about it. Like you said this isn't the thread for that, I've just been wanting to learn more about it.
Check out the dat research threads. Tcll or I could probably answer any questions you have. Also milun made a program that allows you to edit verts in blender. Just know that uh... youll see.

Yo milun you dont have to do this. Just set the size of the display list to 00 and it has the same effect.

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman

Yeah thanks for explaining! I hope in the future that the workshop will have some sort of program/technique to modify vertices, its some cool stuff :) Thanks for all your work, this is definitely going in my iso.

Phantop

Smash Cadet
Quick update on the Falco skin:
I screwed up my iso and lost the dat.

The bird doesn't fit Falco's model anyway...

20LC

Smash Cadet
Can someone do Pichu with Pikachu's party hat?

Last edited:

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
Can someone do Pichu with Pikachu's party hat?
Unfortunately that's a model edit, not just a texture - so it's much more difficult to do it.

So don't be too hopeful.

At least not until Tcll Tcll 's UMC is done (riperino)

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
yea, I'm currently working on tools and such to make UMC development a little easier...
one of which (SIDE) I really need because HexEdit can't pull it's weight when it comes to DAT file hacking.
I have a fully operational template with my new pathfinder method, but it can't be used on files with more than 0x180 pointers or it may freeze.

but at least I'm finding out that model edits might just be possible and that my idea of pointer reference was wrong. :)
Z zankyou has a theory that the referencing is done via the matanim root node in Pl model files.
if that's right, that means we can structure the data however we want and just update the pointers in the matanim section.

heck I'll even add support for the missing string table :)
(Wii Channel TV actually makes use of it)

zankyou

Smash Lord
yea, I'm currently working on tools and such to make UMC development a little easier...
one of which (SIDE) I really need because HexEdit can't pull it's weight when it comes to DAT file hacking.
I have a fully operational template with my new pathfinder method, but it can't be used on files with more than 0x180 pointers or it may freeze.

but at least I'm finding out that model edits might just be possible and that my idea of pointer reference was wrong. :)
Z zankyou has a theory that the referencing is done via the matanim root node in Pl model files.
if that's right, that means we can structure the data however we want and just update the pointers in the matanim section.

heck I'll even add support for the missing string table :)
(Wii Channel TV actually makes use of it)
Yeah I should test that. I could add the hat now but Im too busy with stages and its really tedious.

yeongy

Smash Rookie
just wondering but what's going on with the main post? All the spoilers are shown and everytime i come back to this thread, i have to keep hiding all the spoilers (along with the sub spoilers(colors)) just so it won't take forever to scroll down. It could be me but i just need someone to clarify.

Chayce

Smash Cadet
NNID
C9-TANG
just wondering but what's going on with the main post? All the spoilers are shown and everytime i come back to this thread, i have to keep hiding all the spoilers (along with the sub spoilers(colors)) just so it won't take forever to scroll down. It could be me but i just need someone to clarify.
That might have to do with the fact that SmashBoards just recently got an update. I'd consult your issue with a moderator or someone with more authority than a user because then the moderator can tell the administrators, who can help you fix your problem.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Do you have any browser add ons that would be blocking javascript?

TrapLordeJairoSama

Smash Rookie
I have a question? Was anybody working on the textures I requested awhile ago? No rush, and I thank you a lot to whoever is putting time into it.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
the only extensions i use are adblock and something called stylish. I don't use stylish for smashboards though.
adblock can block normal stuff too by accident. Turn it off and see if you still have the problem

Is the COLLAPSE format not recognized anymore?
No. Still looking into ways to retroactively fix usage of it

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
just wanted to confirm spoilers are working fine for me ;)
and I have a slew of (at least 7) web blockers

EDIT:
I'm using chromium btw if that matters

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
just put together a list of what I'm using...
again, no issues here:

- AdBlock
- AdBlock Plus
- AdBlock Pro
- AdGuard
- Ghostery
- PrivDog (Comodo's exclusive extension)
- Disconnect
- AVG Do Not Track (removed)
- Avast
- Netcraft
- ScriptBlock

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
just put together a list of what I'm using...
again, no issues here:

- AdBlock
- AdBlock Plus
- AdBlock Pro
- AdGuard
- Ghostery
- PrivDog (Comodo's exclusive extension)
- Disconnect
- AVG Do Not Track
- Avast
- Netcraft
- ScriptBlock
A little paranoid??

Top Bottom