• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MD/VA Power Rankings! Updated March 22nd.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
lol @ the complexity of this. it's like u guys have never seen a PR before

if u wanna be better then cyrain then do well. PR's are updated usually every 2 months or so and it fluctuates based on tourny attendance and placement.

saying u cant compete against Cyrain cuz u dont go to the same tourny he does is ridics. that's why there's a panel who can judge how strong a placing at a certain tournament is and use it to figure out where they should be compared to other players

if i go to CA and get 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at 3 tournaments and u guys stay here and someone gets 5th 7th and 9th it's a no brainer.

it's MD/VA. always has been. always will be. no johns.
laijin, you don't have to play against each other in order to rank yourself against each other

power rankings are not based on how well you do against each other head-to-head. it's about how well you perform in tournaments period.
power rankings do determine who is the best in your region
having your region play against each other does not automatically define who the best is in the region
best players are defined by their tournament placings overall including in-state and OoS

you have this notion that a Power Rankings thread is based on how well a player does within his own region but it's not limited to just that. it never has been.
gotta agree wit thumbs on this one. I feel nationals are really good indicator because it truly shows how good you are. Nationals show who is good at adapting quickly to people they have never played before or rarely play. This skill is why the pros are infact the pros. A ranking which just involves us playing each other isnt too helpful considering after a while we pick up on each others play styles and know whats coming. A great part of this game is not knowing what ur opponent likes to do and still getting that great read that leads into a WTFHAX combo and hopefully death.

Point is without taking into account Nationals were we play different people, a PR would not be an accurate reading of who is the best because it isnt a true reading of skill level.
What I've been saying this whole time

Clyde and Bones, who exactly are you guys referring to that the list isn't being fair to? Who are these people who are being excluded that are so good that are being forgotten?

Laijin

Smash Hero
What I've been saying this whole time

Clyde and Bones, who exactly are you guys referring to that the list isn't being fair to? Who are these people who are being excluded that are so good that are being forgotten?
Everyone in the entire region. I'm gonna assume SoVA makes up half of the players in the region(We are not very large overall).
If half of the players in the region have not played each other, how do you determine who is better? Using OOS tournaments only do not really make much sense in determining who is better in the region.

I'm really trying to understand how are you guys are thinking. But it just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

CTL17

Smash Lord
I think what Clyde is saying is that SoVA and NoVA have such a big barrier, that it would be like if we incorporated PA in this ranking, because I have seen more PA people at our tournaments than SoVA people. Maybe something like that.

rhan

Smash Hero
I heard Shaeman beat Redd at Pound 5 in some first night super serious hotel room friendlies. :troll:

But yeah I would like to believe that he deserves a spot. Every single round of pools was mad difficult for him. 1st round he has Alukard and Remen. 2nd round he had Tope, Vro, and a Falcon main. I can't remember if it was S2J or not. And third round he had Xif, Doll, Unknown, Hax.

I believe he went 2-1 with Tope. I'm not sure. BUT I watched the matches vs Remen and it was SUPER close sets. He beat Alu with ease. Not too sure about his third round but I think vs Doll and Xif was a 2-1.

I could careless if SoVA is included or not. Just keep underestimating us. We like it when you sandbag cuz a win is a win. Just don't be upset when you actual try and still can't win. <3

thumbswayup

Smash Master
IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THEY PLAY EACH OTHER IT MATTERS IF THEY ENTER TOURNAMENTS

omg this isn't hard. If so and so wants to be considered for the PR, they better damn well enter tournaments and do well. If they don't enter anything who cares

Laijin

Smash Hero
IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THEY PLAY EACH OTHER IT MATTERS IF THEY ENTER TOURNAMENTS

omg this isn't hard. If so and so wants to be considered for the PR, they better damn well enter tournaments and do well. If they don't enter anything who cares
Dude you're completely missing my point.

Lets use Shaeman for example. I bet you money you have never heard of him nor have you played him, but I believe he is better than a few people on the current list. But because you have never played him/heard of him and I doubt you ever will, you won't think he deserves a spot on the list. Ether should probably be somewhere on the list as well seeing as he is probably the best player in SoVA(right?). So how do we accurately determine where they should be on the list?
WE ****ING CAN'T.
Most of the panel currently has never heard/played either of them.

This example should be pretty clear to see where I'm coming from.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
haha these lists bring me back, make me wanna jump into some excessive smashboards posting!!!!! but i wont.

plus i dont think this area is even active enough for a list to be viable, melee is just slowly getting old and so are all of us. i cant see much in the future besides small get-togethers and small tourneys to play every now and then, with maybe $40-$70 to the winner. i pretty much dont play after pound, i only really play with KM, chillin, mega, and richmond. and the occasional syphers thats all i can really muster anymore. and im old and i suck.

but i mean really... voodoo vist redd and thumbs better than g-reg? im laughing so hard that milk came out my nose. awesome c. falcon milk
*commence the flames*.
good ish cyrain... you are the best

EDIT: and LOL @ Omni, who doesnt even play but still wants to argue on the boards about PRs! your sheik is some dookie, seriously

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
@greg: i've been trying to stimulate the Melee community so that it grows enough for me to join it. kinda like my own Pokemon.

If half of the players in the region have not played each other, how do you determine who is better? Using OOS tournaments only do not really make much sense in determining who is better in the region.
You determine who is better by how well they placed and the difficulty level of said tournament.

This PR is not going to use OOS tournaments "only" from what I understand; it's simply based on the fact that this PR just started and Pound 5 was the most influential tournament up-to-date to base the decision from.

The new power rankings will be based on ALL tournaments both in-state and OOS, within a set time period.

Lets use Shaeman for example. I bet you money you have never heard of him nor have you played him, but I believe he is better than a few people on the current list. But because you have never played him/heard of him and I doubt you ever will, you won't think he deserves a spot on the list. Ether should probably be somewhere on the list as well seeing as he is probably the best player in SoVA(right?). So how do we accurately determine where they should be on the list?
WE ****ING CAN'T.

You don't need to hear of a person or have to play them to look at their tournament results.

Best players are not determined by "I think this guy is good even tho he never goes anywhere". They are based strictly off placings. So if Shaeman, for example, is going to multiple tournaments and placing very well then he'll be considered.

rhan

Smash Hero
Shae's been winning tourneys in SoVA for 4 years now.

But yeah when is the next NoVA thing? I'll try to convince him to drive up there. Or at least do some kind of Richmond thing.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
You don't need to hear of a person or have to play them to look at their tournament results.

Best players are not determined by "I think this guy is good even tho he never goes anywhere". They are based strictly off placings. So if Shaeman, for example, is going to multiple tournaments and placing very well then he'll be considered.
Done and done.

btw I know of both of those players. They need to play/travel to play more

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Richmond doesn't really play with Sova that much... It's like the same distance as Nova...

I'm pretty sure the only reason richmond doesn't come up that often is because the only tournaments held here are Sypher's. Graphix and Shell Shocked is a 4-5 hour drive. Even if you win the tournament, you still lose money due to gas.

This is why I'm hosting regionals in Richmond. It's 2 hours away from everybody except Md where it'll be 4-5 hours. We can't forget that western Va has people in it too that want to get better and the Richmond scene recently expanded massively due to the club I started.

I think this should've been put off until I get the tournaments started.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Dude you're completely missing my point.

WE ****ING CAN'T.

You act like we have no idea who's in SoVA. I know these regions pretty well because when I used to go tourneys more SoVA woulda show up (Cstick etc.) I know how good Shae is. Even scarier is his potential imo.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I would like to say that I wanted this to be put off due to the controversy coming from MD. I actually agree with the current list except for the fact that Chu and Chillin should be added (they always say they're retiring lol).

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
I would like to say that I wanted this to be put off due to the controversy coming from MD. I actually agree with the current list except for the fact that Chu and Chillin should be added (they always say they're retiring lol).
Lol, it's okay. This list is doing what it should do =D Get all of the arguments out haha.

Chu will be added next time, as he's shown no signs of quitting.

rhan

Smash Hero
@Sage: The thing that's different from Richmond:SoVA and NoVA:SoVA is that we have played you guys in Richmond. And every time you posted saying you was hosting so was Shae.. haha he hosts smashfests at his college like every Friday/Saturday. But I think he's definitely interested to travel up to Richmond. Especially if you guys host every Friday starting the 25th like you stated last week.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
Richmond doesn't really play with Sova that much... It's like the same distance as Nova...

I'm pretty sure the only reason richmond doesn't come up that often is because the only tournaments held here are Sypher's. Graphix and Shell Shocked is a 4-5 hour drive. Even if you win the tournament, you still lose money due to gas.

This is why I'm hosting regionals in Richmond. It's 2 hours away from everybody except Md where it'll be 4-5 hours. We can't forget that western Va has people in it too that want to get better and the Richmond scene recently expanded massively due to the club I started.

I think this should've been put off until I get the tournaments started.
just how far apart do u think richmond is from CP. if they can make it to syphers in 2 to 3. its only like a half n hour to 40 minutes more to CP. Graphix ill give u is definately a bit out of the way. Takes me like hour and 20 minutes from College park. So yea they definately would lose gas money even if they won going to graphix.

But yea clyde tourny results, whether they be nationals or locals, are the easiest way to see whose better. Plus if im not mistaken syphers system takes into account how big the tourny was.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Yea, I'm definitely going to start hosting. Sucks that we conflict though. I didn't know about those smashfests lol. We all agreed that Friday is the best day for us.

I'm also allowed to rent out really large rooms for free, so if enough interest is shown, I'll hold a regional. I'd need help though, no hosting experience here.

rhan

Smash Hero
That sounds too legit to be true. I'm hype!

I could help with the advertising.

CTL17

Smash Lord
Rent rooms for free? Doesn't that contradict the meaning of rent?

And if you wanted an update on CP's venues: I found someone who can help us get the old venue we used in 2009, and if I wanted to get a classroom, I need to be in a student group, which I am, but I don't want to put that on them. I can also ask for a room to "study" somewhere that's not related to student groups.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Can i get an honorable mention? I tied with CK!!!

Also, savedge should not be on this list, im not saying hes bad, but hes definitely not active enough... i think we should put winston or laijin.

Actually... now that i think about it, we can solve 2 problems by adding chu, since he'll get bumped off....

i didn't really understand when you said you'd add him next time redd. What is this time? Am i missing something?

Laijin

Smash Hero

Also, savedge should not be on this list, im not saying hes bad, but hes definitely not active enough... i think we should put winston or laijin.

Actually... now that i think about it, we can solve 2 problems by adding chu, since he'll get bumped off....

i didn't really understand when you said you'd add him next time redd. What is this time? Am i missing something?
Wut.
You guys are seriously confusing me. I've seen Savedge at locals as many times as I've seen Tope and Cyrain(which btw is like..twice in year 1/2). How is he not active enough? He goes to nationals all the time with them.
By your own logic, he's extremely active.

Anyways. I'll never take this PR seriously. Its a complete joke.

Mahone

Smash Champion
wtf, i wasn't arguing for tope and cyrain either lol, i haven't really picked a side, you both make good points....

And the one time i saw savedge, winston did a clean 2-0 on him, and then Winston just unplugged his controller while shaking his head with a disgusted look on his face.... i think he wispered "you're garbage", but im not sure.

EDIT: Now i know why you like inception... you're one of those people that says BY YOUR LOGIC lololollolololol

Laijin

Smash Hero
wtf, i wasn't arguing for tope and cyrain either lol, i haven't really picked a side, you both make good points....

And the one time i saw savedge, winston did a clean 2-0 on him, and then Winston just unplugged his controller while shaking his head with a disgusted look on his face.... i think he wispered "you're garbage", but im not sure.

EDIT: Now i know why you like inception... you're one of those people that says BY YOUR LOGIC lololollolololol
I 2-0'ed Savedge as well. Theres a bunch of stuff thats terribly wrong IMO about the list. But thats not even as important as the other point we've been arguing about for majority of the thread. If we can't solve that problem, the list will always be garbage. Sorry. Kinda grouped you in with everyone else/assumed you agree with them completely.

looool. Inception was alright. Not the greatest thing ever. But it wasn't a bad movie by far. Seriously. You can't really call Inception a bad movie when such movies as Last Airbender and Star Wars Episode 1 exist.

hot$

Smash Ace
You can't really call Inception a bad movie when such movies as Last Airbender and Star Wars Episode 1 exist.
I loved the prequels. And I heard terrible, terrible things about the last airbender, but after I saw it, I've definitely seen worse movies. but that is just imo

Mahone

Smash Champion
I 2-0'ed Savedge as well. Theres a bunch of stuff thats terribly wrong IMO about the list. But thats not even as important as the other point we've been arguing about for majority of the thread. If we can't solve that problem, the list will always be garbage. Sorry. Kinda grouped you in with everyone else/assumed you agree with them completely.

looool. Inception was alright. Not the greatest thing ever. But it wasn't a bad movie by far. Seriously. You can't really call Inception a bad movie when such movies as Last Airbender and Star Wars Episode 1 exist.
I think inception was a 8/10, i just say it sucks cuz i overexaggerate everything in my life to the point where I don't even know if im telling the truth

you are all free end of story

you play sheik another plays jiggs
Lol, how many tournies have i beat you in?

And don't bring up teams, you can ask anyone, i hate that ****, i only played it cuz i like teamin with boss

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Man. Are we about to start an argument about while pile of **** smells the worst?

Star Wars Episode 2 was better in every way. Its still terrible, but come on. Keira Knightley totally made it a bit more bearable.
Wait, wasn't she in the first one?

hot$

Smash Ace
Clyde's either trolling mad hard or he's an idiot. Keira Knightley? Really Clyde?
She was in the first one, wenbo is right. I literally had no clue until just now.. Unless you just mean "oh shes not in the 2nd film"

"Keira Knightley as Sabé: Queen Amidala's body double and decoy. "

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer

Uhhhh. Wat? We're adding him on the next PR, which is probably going to be the 22nd. After that we'll start either monthly/bi-monthly lists, but I wanted to fix these larger gripes with the list first so we're not stuck with it for two months.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Ya, but until you start actually uses sypher's system isn't it just your guys opinion anyway?

I'm sure you'd all agree chu should be up there, so couldn't you just change it before the 22nd?

It's not a big deal because the 22nd is so close, i just don't understand what's stopping you. I mean, are you implying that the list will change a lot on the 22nd? Because then it would make sense, to like put thumbs higher and boss and Ck on there because of last syphers.

Top Bottom