• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link help thread.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
When wavelanding, especially for Link, does it matter whether or not you have a perfect waveland, where you waveland really close to the ground, and move a pretty decent length, as opposed to do it too high up where it is 30-50% airdodge and 50-80% waveland? The numbers are kinda screwed up, but it's just an approximate.
Is it worth wavelanding on a flat stage like Final Destination?

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
When wavelanding, especially for Link, does it matter whether or not you have a perfect waveland, where you waveland really close to the ground, and move a pretty decent length, as opposed to do it too high up where it is 30-50% airdodge and 50-80% waveland? The numbers are kinda screwed up, but it's just an approximate.
Is it worth wavelanding on a flat stage like Final Destination?
it all depends, being able to do a perfect one helps a lot, but when I started to abuse the airdodging engine, I would frequently airdodge at the ground in a way that would give me enough invincibility to dodge an attack combined with the lag cancel from the landing. It depends on what you're doing, but obviously if you're looking to get a little oomph in your movement, a perfect waveland is important, since Link's traction is too great to have a hacked waveland like luigi or marth.

HiIH

Smash Lord
I'd say it's best to have the majority of the movement out of your waveland, unless you're up against someone who's reach is higher than yours, like Marth or Roy.

Sliq

Smash Master
in a way that would give me enough invincibility to dodge an attack combined with the lag cancel from the landing.
I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Landing from an airdodge DOES have lag, as does WD'ing. Therefor, airdodging into the ground is an awful idea, unless your intent is to maneuver by WD'ing.

It seems SWF has gotten much more ******** in wake of my absence.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Landing from an airdodge DOES have lag, as does WD'ing. Therefor, airdodging into the ground is an awful idea, unless your intent is to maneuver by WD'ing.

It seems SWF has gotten much more ******** in wake of my absence.
maybe you're the ******** one. let's say I'm Link and I'm falling at the ground, and I've already used my second jump. Marth is clearly about to fsmash me. I could airdodge without any direction at all, but I'd be vulnerable at the end of the animation and I'd probably get *****. Also, if I were to do a perfect waveland, I wouldn't get any invincibility frames and my face would get f***ed up. Now, if I were to angle an airdodge so I would have some invincibility, but not be caught in it too long because I hit the ground, and I would slide a bit. Reasonably situational, probably most useful coming back on from the ledge.

take a little time to think before you go and dismiss what I have to say, because I know what I'm talking about.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Actually yeah, you just have to bair right when you do it......or you die.
I haven't wall jump ledge teched with Link, but doesn't he have the reach to get back with upB even if he doesn't bair? I know doc doesn't, and Captain Falcon might not, but Link should, right?

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Ok I have a Wavelanding question...

I've been toying with it a lot and are there some platforms that you can't WL on? I was trying to do it on BF a while ago and it was looking like I was going through the stage instead of landing...
Can you Go through it like that and I'm just off? Or can you really WL there?

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
Ok I have a Wavelanding question...

I've been toying with it a lot and are there some platforms that you can't WL on? I was trying to do it on BF a while ago and it was looking like I was going through the stage instead of landing...
Can you Go through it like that and I'm just off? Or can you really WL there?
To my knowledge you can waveland anywhere you can stand, so yes.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
To my knowledge you can waveland anywhere you can stand, so yes.
Yea, I did think for a minute that you might not be able to waveland on platforms that you can drop through, but after thinking about it I realized you can. I'm also sure you can airdodge through platforms, but I could be wrong.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Yea, I did think for a minute that you might not be able to waveland on platforms that you can drop through, but after thinking about it I realized you can. I'm also sure you can airdodge through platforms, but I could be wrong.
Well it looks like I'm dodging through them, it could be I'm looking incorrectly and I'm just kissing the ledge all together....

Sliq

Smash Master
maybe you're the ******** one. let's say I'm Link and I'm falling at the ground, and I've already used my second jump. Marth is clearly about to fsmash me. I could airdodge without any direction at all, but I'd be vulnerable at the end of the animation and I'd probably get *****. Also, if I were to do a perfect waveland, I wouldn't get any invincibility frames and my face would get f***ed up. Now, if I were to angle an airdodge so I would have some invincibility, but not be caught in it too long because I hit the ground, and I would slide a bit. Reasonably situational, probably most useful coming back on from the ledge.

take a little time to think before you go and dismiss what I have to say, because I know what I'm talking about.
This won't work. The moment you hit the ground, you lose your invulnerability, so you would still get hit with the ending of the Marth's f-smash. If you dodge early enough and high enough to avoid it, you will just get punished in the ending lag. If you do it too early, you'll still get hit (unless they like, jab or do an extremely quick move, in which case they will have minimal end lag and still punish you.

Your idea will not apply unless you are playing noobs.

Well it looks like I'm dodging through them, it could be I'm looking incorrectly and I'm just kissing the ledge all together....
If you airdodge through the platforms, you are doing the airdodge too early.

lol I can't believe my trolling got that guy banned. he deserved it, too.

BTW: Feel free to ask any questions while I'm chatting with other users.
To whom are you referring.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
This won't work. The moment you hit the ground, you lose your invulnerability, so you would still get hit with the ending of the Marth's f-smash. If you dodge early enough and high enough to avoid it, you will just get punished in the ending lag. If you do it too early, you'll still get hit (unless they like, jab or do an extremely quick move, in which case they will have minimal end lag and still punish you.

Your idea will not apply unless you are playing noobs.
Umm.....no. I don't think you know what you're talking about, or you're confused. I just tried it out, and the landing during an airdodge has the same amount of lag as landing after the end of an airdodge as well as a normal jump and land. Now, would you want to airdodge, and then after your invincibility frames have to fall helplessly to the ground? Or would you rather airdodge into the ground, effectively controlling the length of the invincibility? If you wanted, you could time it so you're on the ground immediately after the normal invincibility window, or you could end it early.

As I originally said, airdodging into the ground gives me invincibility until I hit the ground. Now, I do experience landing lag, but it's just normal landing lag, inevitable landing lag, I might as well lag expeditiously, right? I can see where your confusion was, but I think I explained it a little better this time around.

Sliq

Smash Master
Umm.....no. I don't think you know what you're talking about, or you're confused. I just tried it out, and the landing during an airdodge has the same amount of lag as landing after the end of an airdodge as well as a normal jump and land. Now, would you want to airdodge, and then after your invincibility frames have to fall helplessly to the ground? Or would you rather airdodge into the ground, effectively controlling the length of the invincibility? If you wanted, you could time it so you're on the ground immediately after the normal invincibility window, or you could end it early.

As I originally said, airdodging into the ground gives me invincibility until I hit the ground. Now, I do experience landing lag, but it's just normal landing lag, inevitable landing lag, I might as well lag expeditiously, right? I can see where your confusion was, but I think I explained it a little better this time around.

I'm done. Continue thinking that way if you want. You will get demolished at tournament level play.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Lol, nice picture, noob. Why don't you come to Boston and MM me, and we'll see if I get demolished.

D

Deleted member

oh you mean the funniest thread ever made? yea thats a good thread

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
If we both go to Pound 3 I will 100$ MM you.
ya, if I played enough to want to do $100 MM I'd be pro. Not to mention I'd have $100 to MM with. I don't play in tournaments anyway, but I play with a lot of tourney-goers, so I'm not bad. Still, if you really think I'm so dumb, you can't be all that good. Still, you can't suck that bad if you're gonna throw away 100 bucks on it.

Sliq

Smash Master
ya, if I played enough to want to do $100 MM I'd be pro. Not to mention I'd have $100 to MM with. I don't play in tournaments anyway, but I play with a lot of tourney-goers, so I'm not bad. Still, if you really think I'm so dumb, you can't be all that good. Still, you can't suck that bad if you're gonna throw away 100 bucks on it.
Can't say I'm not surprised you backed down.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Can't say I'm not surprised you backed down.
fair enough, let's play some friendlies. I won't be so shy to Falcon Punch you into oblivion that way.

EDIT: does that mean you were expecting me to actually accept a challenge for a $100 MM? that's obscene.

Sliq

Smash Master
I wouldn't $100 MM my little brother if he used Bowser. I don't do big money MM's, especially in smash where I've only gotten so far.
See, thats my point. I know that I have enough experience to know what I am talking about. You do not. You don't have enough confidence in your ability to put so much on the line while I do.

I have played much longer than you and have gone to a lot more tournaments than you. What makes you think that you know more than me despite my vast experience?

Bottom line is your a little bitch who won't put his money where his mouth is. Anyone can be a big talker, why not have some balls and back it up.

D

Deleted member

now thats a high roller right therr do'

new help thingy

can any1 here bomb jump while in the magnifying glass? cuz i cant and i have bomb jumping down really well....maybe not being able to see link messes me up...

Sliq

Smash Master
now thats a high roller right therr do'

new help thingy

can any1 here bomb jump while in the magnifying glass? cuz i cant and i have bomb jumping down really well....maybe not being able to see link messes me up...
Bomb jumping in the magnifying glass seems harder because you can't see yourself, but once you get consistent with it, you should have the muscle memory to be able to do it without looking at the screen.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
See, thats my point. I know that I have enough experience to know what I am talking about. You do not. You don't have enough confidence in your ability to put so much on the line while I do.

I have played much longer than you and have gone to a lot more tournaments than you. What makes you think that you no more than me despite my vast experience?

Bottom line is your a little bitch who won't put his money where his mouth is. Anyone can be a big talker, why not have some balls and back it up.
Don't talk. I'm here, I'll play you. If you had balls, you wouldn't hide behind money, you'd come here and play for honor and not money. The way I see it, you're not willing to have a good match, you just want money to be a real issue here, and you know that no one in a good headspace would bet $100 dollars on a video game, so you'll throw the price around to make people think you have confidence.

You want to play? Let's play. But I'm not betting obscene amounts of money.

Oh, and I don't think I can offstage Falcon Punch you if you use Jiggs, but I've played better Jiggs than you, and I've gotten better since then. And my knowledge comes from experience AND an understanding of the game engine. Don't question me without solid evidence.

Sliq

Smash Master
Don't talk. I'm here, I'll play you. If you had balls, you wouldn't hide behind money, you'd come here and play for honor and not money. The way I see it, you're not willing to have a good match, you just want money to be a real issue here, and you know that no one in a good headspace would bet $100 dollars on a video game, so you'll throw the price around to make people think you have confidence.

You want to play? Let's play. But I'm not betting obscene amounts of money.

Oh, and I don't think I can offstage Falcon Punch you if you use Jiggs, but I've played better Jiggs than you, and I've gotten better since then. And my knowledge comes from experience AND an understanding of the game engine. Don't question me without solid evidence.
Hey champ, your the one that wanted to MM me.

tl;dr BDawg has about as much balls as he does originality (nice name, couldn't think of anything more generic?).

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Hey champ, your the one that wanted to MM me.

tl;dr BDawg has about as much balls as he does originality (nice name, couldn't think of anything more generic?).
Look, man, go ahead and make fun of my name and my various philosophies, along with my superior knowledge of Smash. But if you want to talk ****, I'm here to play you. If you're planning to come by Boston, let me know and I'll tell you where to go. Then you can play me and all my friends, and we'll see how you fare. I bet you don't do too well.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Isn't this a help thread we want stickied?

Can we pluz not argue in it? Let's save that for stupid threads like "I LIKE UP+B LAWL"

I'd guess that bomb jumping in the magnifying glass would be just as hard as bombjumping out of it, since it seems to be more of a motion that something you watch, but I'm unsure.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Isn't this a help thread we want stickied?

Can we pluz not argue in it? Let's save that for stupid threads like "I LIKE UP+B LAWL"

I'd guess that bomb jumping in the magnifying glass would be just as hard as bombjumping out of it, since it seems to be more of a motion that something you watch, but I'm unsure.
yea, we should stop arguing, we all know he's not worth it ;) anyway, bomb jumping in the bubble is the same as out, and yea, it's more of a finger muscle thing, but it's mentally more difficult to do it when you can't see your character, until you force yourself not to think about it too hard.

Sliq

Smash Master
Look, man, go ahead and make fun of my name and my various philosophies, along with my superior knowledge of Smash. But if you want to talk ****, I'm here to play you. If you're planning to come by Boston, let me know and I'll tell you where to go. Then you can play me and all my friends, and we'll see how you fare. I bet you don't do too well.
Your "philosophies" are stupid.

Sliq

Smash Master
Excuse me, sir, I believe you are spamming in the Link help thread, I advise you to shut the **** up.
http://tia.nealpro.com/playerhistory.aspx?id=117

There you go. Not all of my tournament experience, mind you.

Also, play Darc. He's as good if not better than me. If you get spanked by him you are definitely not worth me time.

I'd imagine Jiggs is hard to offstage Falcon Punch since he has a lot of recovery options, and if he's damaged enough to get sent careening off the stage, he's probably dead already.
I hope you are serious. PLEASE BE SERIOUS.

Top Bottom