• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 'Item Standard Play' Thread (65k views. Not bad for a side project, huh? :P + Poll in OP)

Do you agree that items should be tested before they are banned in SSB4?

• Total voters

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Alright, I know I don't have all of the impressions up, but I went ahead and posted a thread in Tournament Disc. for out upcoming Mesquite, TX tournament. It's going to end up being a big experiment into how 'ISP' style tournaments might be run in the future, so if anyone is interested, please look on in there and tell me what you think I could improve in the ruleset (not just the item list; the general way things will run). Don't post in there, though! Post in here or PM me; only post in there if you want to come to the actual tournament. :laugh:

SkipSandwich

Smash Rookie
Hm. I'm jumping into the conversation now because that comment gave me an interesting idea.

What if there was a list of items almost like stages? Certain items would be neutral items that were on at the beginning of the round, and others were on a counter pick list. After the first match, the losing player would have a certain number of "counter pick points" (for lack of better name) that he could use to change the items - these points could be spent to either turn a current item off or turn on a counter pick item. The number of switches a person would get would depend on the final list, but that could be an interesting mechanic.
Or, instead of an automatic-on neutral list, given the nature of items to compensate for the weaknesses of certain characters, upon choosing a character both players could also choose a certain number of items to switch on. This may be more viable due to counter-picking a stage as well as the items may lead to too large of an advantage being given to the counter-picking player.

I dunno. Interesting line of thought.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
That's an interesting idea, but it sounds really time consuming, which can be problematic during large events. If there is a way to streamline the process (probably not difficult), I don't see why it wouldn't work... just another thing we can think about. :laugh:

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
My Two Cents

My, what an impressive thread! It's great how it is set up (though I do wish there was also and "allowed" list after all the items, similar to the "banned" and "borderline" lists) and I love the idea of an item tournament. However, just as most in this thread do, I have some discrepancies with some of the items. Unfortunately, most of the good arguments and points have already been made before I even realized this thread existed, so excuse me for the fact that 90% of my points are the points of others. :laugh:

Starman-I'm quite at a loss to even reason why this would be considered applicable for tournament play. There is absoloutely zero risk is getting this item; what is lost in order for this item to be gained? The player with the Starman leaves the opposing player at an immediate, not to mention large, disadvantage. It makes all the opposing player's moves near worthless, and all one can do is evade the Starman-wielding tyrant, which can be difficult, especially if they have projectiles (Snake could use his Nikita to pressure the opponent, yet not have to deal with the vulnerable state he is left in. Or perhaps he could use the time to plant C4's or place a fully-charged down-smash in a match-up that wouldn't normally allow it) .

This detracts from the main mechanic of Smash; to hurt your opponent by raising their percentage, then hitting them with a powerful or tactical move to kill them (by tactical, I mean something along the lines of Game & Watch's Uair). With the Starman, one can neither harm nor kill, and the match is at a standstill, even if only for 10 measly seconds. Not to mention that the Starman is an item that takes effect whether an opponent likes it or not, and detracts from the flow of gameplay.

So, if the Starman DETRACTS from Smash, why have it in at all? It has been said that it is useful for stalling, but a simple, petty tactic as that is not enough to make up for its inherent flaw. I've yet to hear any other good arguments for the tactical uses of the Starman, but if there are any others, or if stalling is a better tactic than I make it out to be, please enlighten me.

Super/Poison Mushrooms- This one is quite quirky. There are so many advantages and disadvantages to each that it's hard to discern which one is more beneficial. However, I am in the belief that the Poison Mushroom has a higher risk and lower reward than is made out to be. I do have reasons which I will provide in point form for ease of reading/rebuttals.

-It IS easy to differentiate between Poison and Super. 9 times out of 10 I can tell the difference between the 2, and I wear glasses! Eventually, all item players will simply train their eyes to see if the mushroom is Poison or Super, and can effectively avoid any Poison mushrooms (unless they spawn on top of them, which needs no explanation as to why it is a bad thing) Thus, the system of risk/reward is nulled, and the balance becomes flawed.

-Being smaller is not as much as an advantage as being big. I disagree with the argument that a smaller opponent being harder to hit, at least in Brawl. Many characters have spectacular down smashes (Meta Knight, Wolf, Game & Watch...well, those are the characters I play :laugh:), and with these down smashes comes great responsibility an easier time of hitting an opponent who has shrunk. In addition to this, they lose attack strength and knockback, and the poison mushroom becomes an all around worseless. Large players, on the other hand, may have poor combo escapability, but add strength and power to the person using them, and becomes relatively balanced. However, as one of the balances in the risk/reward system becomes weak, the entire system becomes imbalanced, and the item becomes flawed further.

-It could be argued that the items actually are broken in that they both give the user an automatic disadvantage. When the user eats the mushroom, they under-go a brief transformation in which they are completely vulnerable to attacks. Any skilled player can take advantage of these frames, and can either use a kill move to easily bat off a poisoned opponent, or use a combo move (such as Fox's AAA attack) This may have been a "risk" factor of the items, had it not been for the fact that they can spawn on top of someone and, again, affect them whether they like it or not. This is also true when the mushrooms' timer ends, and the opponent has a free shot at the user. Thus, the mushrooms are flawed to a third degree.

I would go on about some more about the mushrooms and the other items, but alas, I have important business that needs attending to. Feel free to debate or discuss (or disprove :psycho:) any of my points, though do not expect my input in the subject. I will be back to edit this post with additional information later.

heroboy

Smash Cadet
Good points you brought up on the subject. But I feel that a player should DECIDE that they wish to use whichever item they attempt to get. If the character is forced, then it is unfair. Mushrooms can spawn on and roll into players from off-screen, interrupting their attacks, and forcing their effects on them. Same goes for Lightning. This is my reasoning for why they should be banned.

Also, counter picking items does sound kinda cool. But I don't think the amount of items should vary, as jack said, it would get to take a long time. It could be simpler like, At the beginning of the first match, Each player turns off one of the available items (If they wish). After the match, the winner can switch one item, then the loser can switch two items. Repeat for further matches.

TriforceCore

Smash Apprentice
This is the type of list ive been waiting for so I can go from casual to competitive without really altering the game with super unbalanced items

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
The bumper is very, very broken. Autoedgehogs, ultimate knockback at 0%, and severe concussions just by walking into it. If you're basing an item tourney on brokenness of items, the bumper must be removed.

the star rod is also very broken. Yes, it shoots stars and can be used as a clobbering item, but if you toss it and it hits, it's a psuedo-spike with ultimate knockback, sending opponents at this quick, awkward angle towards the 40 or 50% mark. And since items are easier to recover than ever, you can get multiple kills with it. Ban it.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
The bumper does kill at low percents. I'm more worried about the initial throw knockback than the actual knockback after placement.

Star Rod, however, is fine. Yes, it does have a psuedo-spike, but why can't you just air dodge it?

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
Fantastic thread, really! I wasn't expecting a serious thread about item usage to pop up on these boards, much less a detailed and inspired per-item analysis, and with intelligent discussion after it to boot.

After reading all 9 pages, I'd like to discuss a couple of items further. One's the Dragoon, and the other's the Unira.

I think the Dragoon warrants a bit more experimentation before deciding if it's broken or not (I'm not saying that it's not, though). I've had a bit of experience lately, but it was playing against a casual opponent rather below my skill level (which itself is rather low), so I'm guessing many of these findings won't apply at higher levels. Still...

1) It's been said time and again that there's no penalty for missing with the Dragoon. However, when you miss, you fall down from the very top of the screen in helpless animation. I'd say that's a penalty right there, isn't it?

2) It's also been said that there's no risk in obtaining the parts. I'm not sure about that. It becomes most obvious if one of the players makes no effort to pick up parts. You'll notice the other player's performance becomes comparatively worse, as tracking down and pickung up the parts isn't a trivial matter. It's simply not possible to Brawl efficiently while going for the parts at the same time. Even picking them up can affect you negatively: picking them up on the ground will trigger the "pickup" animation, while using an aerial to do this takes a bit longer; at worst (depending on character matchup / positioning) you may be giving your opponent a chance for retaliation. Next time you're playing with the Draggon parts on, try harassing your opponent as he tries to pick them up, instead of picking them up yourserlf, and you'll see the difference.

3) Dodging the Dragoon attack when it is assembled (which should take a while with opponents of matching skill) is an interesting mindreading metagame itself. If you manage to read your opponent and know he's going to use it a fraction of second before he actually does, you can evade it pretty easily. On the other hand, if you fail, and your opponent was expecting your roll/dodge, he'll probably be able to retarget you easily and nail you before you can recover. Then AGAIN, if you can recover before he does target you again and manage to roll again, he'll most surely miss. I think this should be tested with people who're more capable than I am.

Now for the Unira. I think this item is horrendously broken and I'm quite puzzled at why it's being even considered for tournament play. Not only does it have massive knockback as a thrown item, when set it's much worse than even a bumper. A bumper will send any player flying, while the Unira will only affect opponents! To top it off, it deals damage as well. Am I missing something here?

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Dragoon --

1. Players will pick up pieces after knocking an opponent away or while running away from them. I mean, really, you can pick it up with Dash Attacks. That makes this a piece of cake for Snake.

2. Are you really helpless while falling? I thought you were just falling like at the end of snake's FS. I'll test this in a second.

3. I've listed all the reasons why. It's not a mind game. It's a your opponent waiting for you to do something that has lag. ..... That's its!!! You can't outrun them. You can only dodge. After your first dodge, you have lag that the opponent can hit you with. yay

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
It's not a mind game. It's a your opponent waiting for you to do something that has lag.
That's the mindgame. If you don't do anything and the opponent keeps waiting, the Dragoon will launch after a set amount of time. Knowing this amount, you can dodge it 100% safely.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Lol. If you don't do anything, then you haven't used any dodges and I'll just use it and get you.

The point is... There's NOTHING you can do. This is not a mind game. This is either your opponent killing you or your opponent messing up.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's the mindgame. If you don't do anything and the opponent keeps waiting, the Dragoon will launch after a set amount of time. Knowing this amount, you can dodge it 100% safely.
What part of "You have to dodge it before it's activated" was too French for you to understand?

The person who's not riding the Dragoon is at a severe disadvantage. They have to predict when the opponent is going to use it. If they predict right, they won't die. If they predict wrong, they die. The opponent will either kill them or simply miss (at zero cost).

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
What part of "You have to dodge it before it's activated" was too French for you to understand?

The person who's not riding the Dragoon is at a severe disadvantage. They have to predict when the opponent is going to use it. If they predict right, they won't die. If they predict wrong, they die. The opponent will either kill them or simply miss (at zero cost).
In other words...

There is nothing you can do. Either he kills you or HE messes up.

Why it doesn't matter what you do:

There will ALWAYS be 1 frame while you're in the hitbox of the dragoon that you will not be invincible. NO MATTER WHAT. (Assuming the person is actually trying to aim at you.)

If you aren't going to dodge, then I'll use it.
If you are going to dodge, I'll wait THEN use it.

What if I make a motion and pretend to push a button? You'll most likely dodge, because a minute motion in your peripheral vision is your only clue as to when to dodge. I tense my hand and move it slightly. If you dodge, yay. IF not, I still have my 1 frame start up.

To make it even worse. Dodge animations don't even give invincibility frames on the first frame.

Dodge input -> lag -> invincibility -> lag.

Do air dodges give invincibility right away? Doesn't matter because if you're in the air, I just hit you right when you hit the ground. Since there's jumping lag, and a few frames between your dodge inputs and your invincibility.

DugFinn

Smash Apprentice
Amazing thread. Seriously amazing. The serious discussion of using items and lack of flames is wonderfully refreshing.

Jack Kieser can you please post the thread to the upcoming tournament you were talking about where these rules will be tested out at? Thank you.

I'm one of the tournament organizers (along with Xyro77) here in Houston for Smash. We've been hosting tournaments (50 to 80 players at each one) every one or two weeks for almost the past two months (crazy!) - and I'm LOVING the idea of an items tournament! (Especially after seeing some of the cheap and imbalanced stuff creeping in from the side, ugh.)

I've actually already held three (or was it four? I can't remember) Brawl items tournaments back in Feb/March (before Brawl came out in the US) to test out the idea of an items tourney. In each one we had an average of 30 to 40 players and each tourney went over VERY well. We had no complaints. It had rules similar to the ones you are suggesting (give or take a few item changes), but once Brawl came out in the US, we had to go back to Melee's no-item-poop mentality. Which sucked because the items tournaments were really starting to take off nicely (with some really great and ingenious strategy being formed for items play). We're (I am as well as several people I know) are extremely glad and happy to learn that there are others that are willing to take a serious look at the idea of item tournaments again - and we'll definitely go to the upcoming items tournament you guys are hosting (in fact, we'd love to help out! PM me).

Speaking of which, we'd like to help in the project. As a very active tournament organizer, we hope to be of help by reporting results and such. Hopefully after several tournaments and after vastly accumulated data a more "standard" items rule set can be made for National level play.

If striking a stage is normal in tournaments, I don't see why striking an item can't be either. Personally, I think the concept is genius. Go with it definitely. Anyways, thanks go to you and the other ISP guys.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
So far I think my brother, Heroboy, has come up with the best solution. Treat it like Advanced Slob Picks.

After the first match, the winner switches the status (on or off) of a tournament legal item. Then the loser does two. I'll review the list later and repost my disagreements for more legality discussion.

BusinessThyme

Smash Rookie
Not all aspects of an item may be discussed if I feel they've already been brought up enough and/or I can't say anything new. When I say "Strong ban," I mean I am really adamant about an item's removal. It's a convention I stole from Wikipedia. I do not designate "strong keeps," because I don't feel particularly strongly about those items. Items not mentioned are ones that I basically agree with Jack about.

Legend:
[+] Indicates a reason to keep, often indicates a negative point about the item, which may be counter-intuitive to some.
[-] Indicates the opposite.
[?] Indicates a point I am personally confused about.

<Strong bans>

::Starman::
[-] No risk involved once obtained (in other words, it fails criterion 2 miserably - when would you ever NOT want to get a star?).
[-] Wastes 10 seconds. If we are to assume defensive play has gotten that much stronger in this iteration of smash, all I see are players running away from the star'd man, until 10 seconds are up. This either makes matches 10 seconds longer than they have to be (wasting time is generally a bad thing), or allows the star'd player a 10 second stall in the case of a timed match.
[-] Intentionality may not play a role in its acquirement.
[-] Fast characters can get to it more easily, and can then press the advantage once they have it. Alternatively, they can run away more effectively if they need to. Since the inclusion of items already benefits speedy characters, I am not sure if more buffs is a good thing.

::Gooey bomb::
[-] In competitive play, only a player's intentional actions and his/her opponent's subsequent intentional reactions should decide victory. If there is a chance where this may not be possible, then that presents a risk that is far greater than any potential strategic reward. As the gooey bomb may cause a lost of stock through inopportune spawning, it follows that it does present such a tremendous risk and therefore must be banned.

::Lightning/mushrooms::
[-] A player may unintentionally invoke its effects, causing a major unforeseen affect on gameplay.
[-] Moreover, it can spawn on a player while they are trying to do something, interrupting their intended action, and creating an opening that they themselves did not choose to allow.
[-] The return to normal size causes more problems. Actually, see Sir Bedevere's post. His discussion of the shrooms/stars is pretty comprehensive.

::Timer::
[?] Gets its own section because unless I'm mistaken, you need to actually pick it up, not just touch it.
[-] A one sided result will likely be extremely costly. Favors lesser skilled players, as they have most to gain.
[-] Effects are unavoidable, unless you are invincible.

::Bumper::
[-] Has no counter once applied to the edge, and as you said, breaks the second criterion completely. Since it violates this:

Acceptable Counter Systems in Place: Every move must have a counter; if there is no counter, than strategically there is no reason not to use it at all times. For an item to be considered 'balanced', it must always have at least one counter at all times. If an item does not have at least one global strategic counter, then it shall be deemed 'broken' and banned from play.

then why is it still up for discussion?
[-] Kills at low percentages.

::Soccer ball::
[-] On spawn, can give attacker a disproportionate advantage, randomly.

<Bans>

::Ray gun::
[-] The possibility of a ranged zero-to-kill setup seems to warrant its exclusion. At least with the fan, you need to move up close to someone to rack up damage. Ray gun cheese can be performed at range with little skill involved once you opponent is "locked."

::Cracker Launcher::
[-] Is crazy powerful when shot.
[-] Can juggle/combo into itself. Once an opponent is caught in the stream of projectiles, they are pretty much dead. Therefore, I disagree with the notion that it is medium risk, medium reward. When you take into account it's "raw power and spammability," I think it's safe to say that it's a high reward item.
[-] At point blank, the explosions do not hurt its user!
[-] Is fairly powerful when thrown.

<Keeps>

::Hothead::
[+] Characters with fire/lightning attacks get a minibuff, because they can use this item slightly more effectively, which is a plus because it enhances character diversity.
[-] Can be grown to such proportions that it will kill very easily.
[+] Allows a character to pressure and control space, in a way that is less permanent then a motion sensor mine (as the hothead is probably going to be spinning around).
[+] HOWEVER - it moves slowly enough that with proper knowledge of stage geometry, it can be properly dodged - in other words, you can play around it with skill. [+] Similarly, it takes intelligence to place it well, because as you've outlined, it can be completely useless depending on the setup.
[?] While it is true that once it's set, it can be reflected, giving characters with reflectors an advantage. (I do not know if this is a positive or a negative thing. Anyone know if it heals the mother kids?)

I would argue that the hothead does not break criterion 2 anymore than the ray gun, super scope, or battering items do. With respect to criterion 3, I would argue that it simply makes your enemies have to be more aware of their environment when they want to attack, but they can definitely play around it if they choose to attack, or wait it out if they so choose. I would say the hothead opens up far more strategic possibilities than the gooey bomb, and does not have the potential to accidentally kill a player.
With all due respect, the reasoning for this item being banned is a bit weak.

::Franklin Badge::
[+] Discourages "camping."
[+] Encourages vigilance amongst players. (If you like projectiles, you better be darn sure they don't have the badge)

::Hammer::
[-] Offers limited protection to its user.
[-] Really powerful in terms of damage and knockback.
[+] Not as powerful as it used to be. Luigi can fsmash through it if someone is walking on a horizontal plane straight at him. This can sometimes cause the hammer to drop out of their hands as well. I assume a jumping in approach from above can be stuffed with a good anti-air (maybe a usmash?) though I've not tried it myself. This is anecdotal to be sure, but I assume other characters can punch through a hammer if they can position themselves correctly. Potentially, they may clang and push the hammer user off the edge? Hilarity!
[+] Projectiles can impede it.
[+] User has severely limited aerial mobility and is completely vulnerable from underneath.
[+] Its inclusion gives a mini-buff to characters that can counter, and players that can anticipate the attack.
[+] Oh and then there's that whole dropped hammer thing. Suffice it to say, I'm rarely in a rush to pick this puppy up when I see it.

::Screw Attack::
[?] Effectively represents free damage that the user can deal. In this way, it is not unlike the super scope, which offers free damage as long as you stick to spamming, and can get on or above the same horizontal plane as your opponent. If that's a keep, I don't see why this shouldn't be. (Does anyone know if small super scope shots still semi-spike?)
[+] Buffs characters with more than two jumps, enhancing character diversity, blah blah blah.

<???>

::Unira::
[?] Forgive me, but I forget if this can hurt you once you set it. If so, then I say keep it, as it's more interesting and less destructive than a motion sensor. If not, then I guess it needs a ban, as you can create unfair static setups that are unavoidable. Maybe a "borderline."
[+] Does not seem too powerful.
[-] Can be deactivated and reused.

<Talking Points>

As you can see from my earlier item evals, I am big on intentionality. In fact, I think a lot of posters here are as well, but it hasn't been explicitly brought up. When you have items that can effects that can trigger without any intentional input from either player, you have basically introduced additional stage hazards to every stage in the game. While this may not be a bad thing per se, it certainly doesn't jive so well in most competitive fighting game scenes where money may be at stake. If I lose, I want to lose because my opponent did something to me, not because I attacked into a bomb that my opponent didn't put there, or because lightning fell on me and shrunk me just before I was going to trade blows. That really sucks, and I wouldn't want to win that way, either.

In any case, this is an amazing thread and I'm glad that people are largely being open-minded about bringing back items. At the moment, I am still sorta siding with the no-items guys, but I think that's largely due to memories of Melee, and my incredible hatred of the Dragoon, cracker launcher and ray gun. I'll admit I'm biased towards the hothead but honestly, from a game design perspective, it's easily one of the more interesting items to play with and against. Oh and it looks awesome.

Regardless, item matches encourage
[+] Item catching, adding more tactics, depth and whathaveyou.
[+] Glide tossing, which may fill the void in my heart that was left by wavedashing's removal.
[-] As a result, is a slight debuff to characters that can generate their own items (Snake's grenades, Diddy's bananas, Peach's turnips, etc.), as glide tossing will no longer be exclusively in their domain.

EDIT:
Just wanted to say that being able to counterpick and counterunpick items is a fantastic idea. It's an elegant approach that would make this format of play much more interesting. It plays into Smash's unique strength of allowing players to customize their experience.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
3) Dodging the Dragoon attack when it is assembled (which should take a while with opponents of matching skill) is an interesting mindreading metagame itself. If you manage to read your opponent and know he's going to use it a fraction of second before he actually does, you can evade it pretty easily. On the other hand, if you fail, and your opponent was expecting your roll/dodge, he'll probably be able to retarget you easily and nail you before you can recover. Then AGAIN, if you can recover before he does target you again and manage to roll again, he'll most surely miss.
What does this even mean? The cross-hairs of Dragoon move faster than any character, so it's not possible for someone to recover from lag faster than their opponent can track them. Also take into account that any sort of dodge has lag, while the firing of Dragoon has none. Also, the fact that you don't know what happens when you finish your attack leads me to believe that you have never used it: you're not helpless when you fall, you can still do any of your aerials or specials, and air dodge, and basically play the game. It's true that your character flashes as they fall, which is similar to helpless frames, but this is probably an aftereffect of the attack, or maybe it's invincibility frames? I'll test this later.

As far as counterpicking items goes, I'm unclear on this one pick, two pick thing. The rulings of the ban list are still enforced, right? I couldn't say, for instance, "Wow, I really love playing with *insert banned item here*, because I'm so good at killing with them. I'll turn them on!" What might be cool is just playing counterpick items like counterpick stages: any legal item is started as on, with the borderline and banned items turned off. The loser of the first game turns a borderline item on, and a standard item off. then the loser of the second game does the same thing. In essence, you're keeping the same amount of items on at all times, just switching up what appears.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
You change the status of the item from what it currently is.

Scenario --

Winner turns off Item 1.
Loser turns off items 2 and 3.

Scenario --

Winner turns off item 1.
Loser turns ON item 1, turns off item 2.

those are the two scenarios. You can change the status of one item. Banned items are not allowed. So, either three items change, loser counters the winner's choice and changes another, or they both pass.

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
OK, you convinced me; the Dragoon is just too powerful. I didn't realize that dodging has startup lag before giving invincibility, among others.

The final nail on the coffin is, I just went back and checked, and indeed, missing doesn't put you into helpless; it's a normal fall. Ouch. :laugh:

Edit: I checked this before reading Cooper736's post, for what it's worth. I skimmed through the post to see if someone else had tested it, but obviously didn't do a very good job of it ^_^; Indeed, the blinking confused me, sorry; as I mentioned, most of the testing I did lately was on the receiving end of it.

To compensate for this, I did some testing regarding the other item I mentioned, the Unira.

[-] Can be activated either by picking it up and throwing it or, I'm afraid, attacking it with a melee attack. Yes, this means if it spawns right in front of you as you attack, you'll activate it and it'll hit any opponents that's close enough.
[-] Once you attack it (or throw it), you "tag" it as yours. This means that a) it won't harm you, only your opponents (ouch) and b) only you can "defuse" it by attacking it, in order to reuse it (itself a rather overpowered tactic). The Unira is completely immune to your opponents' attacks, even when they manage not to be hit themselves.
[-] Throwing the Unira (and remember this can be done several times just by attacking it again when it's set) is a ranged attack that KO's Mario off the center of FD at exactly 92%. The angle of knockback is about 40º, so it even has vertical knockout potential.
[-] If you hit when you throw it, it will activate the Unira when it touches ground, and if you miss... it will also activate when it touches ground. Remember that the opponent can do jack squat against it once it's set.
[-] God, it seems it wasn't good enough already. For some reason, it has a "vacuum" effect on it. If an opponent stands close to it, it will atttract them to it, rather quickly to boot, so there's a good chance you'll end up skewered. :p

Myrmidon

Smash Cadet
Firstup; Regarding the VS. Mr. Saturn commentary that floats around (between all the gooey bomb and starman conversation) all it is is a recyclable projectile that has the ability to block attacks and other projectiles. it is that same as a Waddle Dee, except in the fact that you can actually carry it (again; negatable by the fact that you can pull out a new Waddle Dee at any given time).

Secondarily, and feel free to question my thinking on this, as I often double-guess my own thoughts, but...why isn't Team Healer in this list? It has the capability to heal or harm enemies, and it also has the capability of setting up combos (IE: throwing it where you wat an opponent to be in hopes that they'll leap into it).

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
As far as the Team Healer goes... well, this is a 1v1 discussion (so far), so it doesn't even spawn, regardless of whether it is activated or not. When we get to the 2v2 list, we can deal with it then.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
The final nail on the coffin is, I just went back and checked, and indeed, missing doesn't put you into helpless; it's a normal fall. Ouch. :laugh:

Edit: I checked this before reading Cooper736's post, for what it's worth. I skimmed through the post to see if someone else had tested it, but obviously didn't do a very good job of it ^_^; Indeed, the blinking confused me, sorry; as I mentioned, most of the testing I did lately was on the receiving end of it.
It's fine to make mistakes. Trust me, you're not the only one whose made an assumption without the evidence to back it up *looks at self*.

Anyway, you're still only half right. I did some testing in Training mode, and found that after using Dragoon, part of your fall is done with invincibility frames. There aren't many stages with ceilings low enough to hit someone coming off the top, but certain characters won't be able to take advantage of the excellent spacing (Pit, Ivysaur). Also, you can perform any attack out of the falling animation. Basically if you hit, you're guaranteed a safe return because you have the returning animation of your opponent's death. If you miss, you're guaranteed a safe return by your invincibility frames. GG

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
When are you going to update the OP with the four items that are not updated yet?

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Unira only hits someone once I thought. (Once hit by spikes, it doesn't hit you again.) I may be wrong.

If it's killing a CPU mario at 90% it's fine, because players should be DIing.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Unira only hits someone once I thought. (Once hit by spikes, it doesn't hit you again.) I may be wrong.

I'm fairly certain I've been hit multiple times by the same Unira.

heroboy

Smash Cadet
Ok I figured out the unira thing.

Twin Dreams and I were in a match, and right after getting hit by the Unira (already placed) he then landed and moved through it without getting hit, which is why we weren't sure.

I just tested it, after being hit by the unira, it will not hurt you again for a second or so. If you get hit with the item thrown, then that does not count towards getting hit by it activated on the ground, so you can be hit by the spikes without waiting that second.

I also noticed another interesting quality of unira. If you're standing nearby, it will try to pull you in.

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
It's killing a CPU Mario at 90% from the CENTER of Final Destination. I mentioned that since it seems the most widely used measurement of an attack's knockback. For the record, this places it as more powerful than most fsmashes; for a ranged, virtually instantaneous, reusable attack that can't be used by your opponent, I think it's way too much.

I just tested it, after being hit by the unira, it will not hurt you again for a second or so. If you get hit with the item thrown, then that does not count towards getting hit by it activated on the ground, so you can be hit by the spikes without waiting that second.
Yep, you're right. I'm afraid this is pretty much irrelevant in virtually all scenarios because of the first hit's knockback; it's only there to prevent players from getting "comboed" by the Unira at very low percentages.

I also noticed another interesting quality of unira. If you're standing nearby, it will try to pull you in.
Yes, I mentioned it at the end of my post. Apparently the Unira wasn't good enough already. :p

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Ok, I'm sorry for the long period of no updates, but that should end for a little while; I just got back in town from a little vacation, and am now in the process of adding everyone's great points into the impressions list. It shouldn't take too long.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Ah ha! Finally done with the list thus far. All of the items have a listing now, and I've updated the ban list; I went ahead and got rid of the borderline list, since it only caused more problems. I should be able to update the 'ISP' thread in tourney disc. soon with the first draft of our complete 1v1 ruleset.

Thanks to everyone for you help; I hope the discussions continue!

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
After glancing through, I don't really have any problems with this list.

Except Gooey Bomb, but I guess we'll have to wait for a difference of hundreds of dollars to be decided by this spawning in the middle of an attack to get it banned.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Awesome; having disagreements over one item is actually pretty good, considering we'll be running a counter pick system anyway. Unless anyone has anything else they want to bring up, I'll get started on drafting the rest of the rules.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
I have two problems with the new update: the first is that you ban Soccer Ball because of the possibility of it spawning in the middle of an attack; the second is part of your Unira analysis. On the Soccer Ball, isn't auto-spawning the same reason why Twin Dreams thinks Gooey Bomb should be banned? Why is there a difference between the two? The only reason I can think of is that Gooey Bomb kills at higher percentages, but that requires some testing to determine. Why the double standard?

The other thing is pretty minor. I've tested Unira's properties, and for it to suck you in with the vacuum, you need to practically be standing on top of it anyway. The chances of a competent player wandering that close to a visible item that a) can hurt them and b) they can't pick up are slim to none. This doesn't change my opinion on Unira - it needs to be banned. Just something to consider.

Amarkov

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand why Franklin Badge is allowed. By providing immunity to projectiles, it essentially removes part of some movesets.

For instance, let's say I'm playing Olimar, and you get a badge. For thirty seconds, any Pikmin I throw will not hit you. And Olimar without the ability to throw Pikmin simply is not any good. You will at LEAST be able to highly damage me in that thirty seconds, if not take a stock off.

The effect isn't quite as bad with other characters, but it's still a very large advantage to be given by an item.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I don't understand why Franklin Badge is allowed. By providing immunity to projectiles, it essentially removes part of some movesets.

For instance, let's say I'm playing Olimar, and you get a badge. For thirty seconds, any Pikmin I throw will not hit you. And Olimar without the ability to throw Pikmin simply is not any good. You will at LEAST be able to highly damage me in that thirty seconds, if not take a stock off.

The effect isn't quite as bad with other characters, but it's still a very large advantage to be given by an item.
That is untrue, only Olimars forward b attack is considered a projectile. the others will not be reflected.

I have a problem with the gooey bomb (you know why) but I have more of a problem with the beam sword. The worst thing about it is that some characters hit harder or farther with it, making it better for some. Secondly it can be used as an extremely good edge guard due to its extremely long range and the ability for you to throw it. It is very hard to get anywhere near someone when they have a beam sword, but since it never expires while your holding it, you HAVE to approach them.
The bat might need to be banned as well because it packs a large punch when thrown.

Vro

Smash Lord
I'm also skeptical of the Franklin Badge. It's essentially a starman for projectiles. Altho you can "avoid" it for it's duration, there is absolutely no risk to putting it on, and its effect is always active. Requiring absolutely no skill, it only gives advantages to whoever happens to be closer when the item spawns.

Amarkov

Smash Apprentice
I think the franklin badge should only be used if camping becomes too big of a problem in the future.
The only way the item would not be broken is if camping itself were broken. And camping is broken, the badge doesn't HELP enough, as you can just go back to camping in half a minute.

Top Bottom