• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "I need help with ___"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR. P.A. Awdbawl

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Qwester
Link has the ability to follow chain throws (because he can actually do them) with attacks.
How's that possible? His hookshot makes it too tedious to chain his opponents. You could pull it off, but you would need ungodly accuracy.

In need of understanding Link's chains,

MR. P.A. Awdbawl

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by MR. P.A. Awdbawl
How's that possible? His hookshot makes it too tedious to chain his opponents. You could pull it off, but you would need ungodly accuracy.

In need of understanding Link's chains,

MR. P.A. Awdbawl
You mean with your limited knowlage of the game, it requires ungodly accuracy (which would denote that it was easy to do, godly accuracy would've been better)

Get on DC++ and download the video "Kubuu - Link CAN airgrab"
It shows link chain throwing sheik.

Another thing you need to understand is that "Link's chains" don't work on everyone, because some characters DI gets them out of range and some characters are just to light (they are too high and can jump again after being thrown) or fall too fast ( and thus can tech roll away). This ideal is nearly universal with all chain throws in that it only works on certain characters.

Atb

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone its been a while since I last came here at Smashboards.

I need help with this one technique I see in nearly every Japanese match vid! I'll illustrate with an example:

Captain Falcon jumps backwards so that he ends up hanging off the edge, the opponent is standing near the edge on the stage, and Captain Falcon just hops back up and hits the opponent with a high knee (mid-air side A).:crazy:

How the **** do you that?

Appreciate your help!;)

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
Atb, what your seeing is called a ledge hop...to do it(start off practicing with game and watch...his is very easy) first hang on the edge of a level, then hit down to drop off the ledge. immediately after dropping of the ledge, hit x/y/up to do your double jump, and then do an airial attack, in falcons case, the knee or forward airial(fair). Be careful with this tactic though, because if you do it but are hit before you land your move, your off the edge with only your up b to save you.

Rurouni

Smash Rookie
Oro?

Hey, look over here! It's a newbie!!!11one

Right, k, bear with me please.

Anyway, I've been wondering what a "tipper" is...
Is it something to do with hitting your target with a particular area of your attacking hitbox?

Oh, and I have checked some of that Q/A forum, but I couldn't really find anything.

Actually, I have a few more questions (I know these have been covered already, and I've read a bit about them, but I'm still pretty confused...)

Crouch-cancelling. I can't seem to get this to work - probably because I don't know what the **** I'm looking for xD.
When exactly do I press Down? Just after I've been hit?

Triangle-Jumping. Eh? I've seen a bit on its uses and whatever, but I haven't actually been able to understand anyone who has posted how to do it...blame my general idiocy, but I'd still like some help please ^ ^

(Dunno if this is in the right thread, but I didn't wanna make a new one, and I couldn't be bothered to search the forums too thoroughly)

thanks.

[edit] I saw a reference to Mew2King's SSBM guide, but I can't seem to find it on GameFAQs. Anyone got the link?[/edit :p]

TWP

Smash Ace
Ok I think I can help you here :

Anyway, I've been wondering what a "tipper" is...
A tipper is when you hit an attack with Marth with the tip of his blade. It makes a distinct sound and shows different damage/knockback

Crouch-cancelling. I can't seem to get this to work - probably because I don't know what the **** I'm looking for xD.
When exactly do I press Down? Just after I've been hit?
Crouch Cancelling (cc) is pressing down (and crouching) before the attack makes contact with you, increasing your odds of not beign knocked of the stage/survival.

Triangle-Jumping. Eh? I've seen a bit on its uses and whatever, but I haven't actually been able to understand anyone who has posted how to do it...blame my general idiocy, but I'd still like some help please ^ ^
I might be wrong, but to triangle jump you jump forward...fall at a diagonal and Wd back towards your original spot...kinda like so :
->(you)
/ \
/ \
<-(Wd)

That is crappy ascii art...

Drephen

Smash Master
I use shiek a good amount. But I can't seem too beat fast-falling characters like fox and especially falco. Got any tips?

GuardianSphinx

Smash Journeyman
Im no good at this really but ill give it a go.

if i were you, i would set off earlier to do whatever im going to do.

Say a dash then a down smash, on a Jiggly that would be alot different to a fox, so when against fox, use your dash alot to set up combos because the fox will fall at a nice time for you to do another move.

Sorry this was really crap advice but oh well.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
I can't find much use for wavedashing. I can use it for running around with Luigi, edgehogging for everyone, occasionally just before landing a jump for quick movement, and that's about it. Attacking in the middle of a wavedash never seems to work. I'm sure there's something I must be missing, because it's considered an important technique. I play mainly Samus, climbers, and kirby BTW.

Koopa Hoopa

Smash Rookie
Can someone help me with Name Entry? I type the names in the Name Entry option but I don't know how to use them >_< It's kinda frustrating. Thanks for any help in advance.

CRF

Smash Cadet
Any tips for No Damage Clear? It's the last bonus I need. I've tried DK, but no dice.

Thanks.

Nemesis Enforcer

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing is used to taunt and play mind games. It can be helpful with IC. you can wavedash and down smash, covering a lot of area with a powerful move. you can also run at somebody, then wavedash back to evade their attack, then counterattack. Think outside the cube young grasshopper.

Name Entry: After you have selected your character, use your cursor to click on the name of the character (ex: I choose Roy and then use the hand to click on Roy's name). If you have already entered names, a list of names should come up in the box. Just pick your name or create a new one. Use this technique to impress the ladies.

I think I did No Damage clear with DK, but it took many attempts. Moves to use: Down b (this kills most of them), Forward Smash, and thrown items.
Things to watch out for: The computer being on a different level then you and neutral attacking (ex: Marth on Fountain of Dreams stands on a higher platform and starts swinging his sword) AND items appearing out of nowhere right when you do a smash move or are pounding the ground. Patience my friend.

VilNess

Smash Champion
I don´t know what what DA dash is, but if you don´t want to dash attack when dashing then don´t press A button.
If you, however, want to perform some other attack, simply ress down when dashind to do a d-tilt or release down immediately after you´ve stopped dashing to do something else.
Also try pressing Z and jump button (Y or X) at the same time to do a normal grab instead of running grab. It really useful!

Vashers

Smash Cadet
Well DA dashing, from what I saw is when you dash and than some how use an attack and not the dash attack. Someone said it has to do with a frame where your character is standing up in the dash, but I have no idea what that means. Thanks for the info I already know how to do a running smash(d tilt and c stick), I don't know how to do it as fast as the DA dashing thing...errr...yeah

Aftermath

Smash Champion
the DA dash acn only be done while you are dash dancing. In the dash dance, when you reverse direction there is one frame where your charactr "stands up", this is very easy to see with marth, as it is easy to distinguish the differnence. in this one frame you can do smashes/tilts/standing grabs/jab. a good way to see this is to dassh dance and simply spin the cstick in circles, when the frame is there, you will do a smash, the other way to see this well is to try and pause it on the frame you are standing and turning around.

Hope that answers your questions

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
Maybe...

Maybe it's unavoidable. Like Sheik's Down Throw. Or you could try to tumble cancel as hard as possible and then shine to screw up their timing.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Since he's a fastfaller, certain uthrows can chain him indefinately ('til a certain %). Such uthrows include Peach's (the bane of all fastfallers), Marth's (another bane since it will lead to either a new throw, a smash or a tilt of doom) and to some extent Doctor Mario's (and Mario's I'd assume, but I haven't seen that matchup yet).

There's a price for being a space animal.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
1- Where should Marth DI Sheik's down throw to avoid chain grabbing and severe punishment?
2- What are the chars that can't escape Doc's dthrow into fsmash/fair even with proper DI?

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
ShortHop-FastFall-L-Cancel (SHFFLC)

How do you ShortHop-FastFall-L-Cancel (SHFFLC)? When exactly does the attack take place?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
the attack takes place any time in the air, whether it be on the way up, the peak, or coming back down. your choice, depending on the situation and the attack.

Dodger

Smash Ace
My friends uses shiek and he sometimes likes to cathc me in the chain when I'm trying to recover. I play Kirby and was wondering what's the fastest way to escape the chain?

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
To Mambo
First short hop, then attack, then fastfall that attack, then L-cancel, then repeat. Like ChRed2AKrisp said, you can attack anytime in the air. With some characters, you should do it at certain time, like with falco, you should do it at the moment to make the blaster hit the opponent, with samus, you might just time it right to do a missle cancel. Lots of posibilities.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Actually melee ruler

SHB and SHFFMC are nut shffled since you do not lcancel.

you auto-cancel

you are right that a short hop fast fall missle cancel has a specific timing. in fact, there is only a 3? frame margin of error to actually get the missle out.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ah, my mistake. Thanks, man. I apparently wasn't thinking. shffling works best with f-airs, Like docs for example. Still, you can use the attack anytime before or as you are fastfalling.

kuronoken

Smash Rookie
is it true that you can throw two consecutive missiles with samus??? and if that's for real, how do you do that???

thnx :D

Aftermath

Smash Champion
If i understand your question correctly you are asking about missile canceling. While you can't shoot two missiles simultaneously, you can shoot two missiles in quick succession using this technique. What you do is shoot one missile as you are about to land, but time it so that you land right after the missile comes out, this takes some practice to time.

if you do that, you'll notice that all of the lag from the missile animation is canceled, enabling you to do whatever almost immediately. So, shoot another missile and you'll have two missiles flying one after another without much space between them.

I you have any further questions, refer to the Character Specific secton for samus and read "Samus Basics", it should answer any question syou have regarding many of samus' techniques.

mothership

Smash Cadet
Wavedash Distances

Utilizing Perfect Wavedashes, what is the minimum number of wavedashes to cross Final D with CFalcon?

MLG-Murphinator

Smash Rookie
what's the best way to grab on to the ledge???

i have a hard time jumping and grabbing onto the ledge and i see vids where ppl do it no problem

Gojira

Smash Lord
Quick question here. I have been trying to brush up on me wavdashin skills but I keep going from bowser to marth. What would one fo you superb WD think is easier. The up stick to jump then do the dash or x buttom then stick to aim dash?

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
MLG-Murphinator said:
what's the best way to grab on to the ledge???
wavedash backwards off the ledge. be careful not to do it too close to the edge.
Gojira said:
Quick question here. I have been trying to brush up on me wavdashin skills but I keep going from bowser to marth. What would one fo you superb WD think is easier. The up stick to jump then do the dash or x button then stick to aim dash?
There are some people who use the control stick for wavedashing, but most people find it easier to wavedash with one of the jump buttons.

MeleePro

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm new to the whole posting thing. I was just wondering if ANYONE knows how to recover downwards in the air? Example: If you are Roy and fight a level 9 Ganondorf, he does the punch or leg thing ALOT. When he does that use Roy’s down B move. He will counter the attack and Ganondorf will go flying (about the 2nd or third time). If you notice he will go up then straight down at like a 90 degree angle. I've tried everything to do it and I can't. Does anyone else know how to? Thanks

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's the way Roy's counter sends. Upwards, then immediately down. Marth's and Peach's counters do the same, just on a much smaller scale since theirs are weaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom