• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "I need help with ___"

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcrucialxmattx

Smash Rookie
seems basic but I cant do this. How do you like short hop off the ledge to do stuff like uh if your C. Falcon ledge hang short hop off (N)A FF/Lcancel yada yada how do you do the jump part I press y/x they jusmp to high

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
When you're on the ground and they're in the air? Yes. There's no trick to it, either.

rezz

Smash Journeyman
PWN-er said:
how do i get cool signatures with their name and character? i still like grimer but i still want a cooler one. oh, and how the heck are you guys able to rapidly wavedash? i get triangle jumps around the second one.
same i need one to

Zero34

Smash Lord
thespaz, if you want a cool sig, go and post a request in the Artwork Emporium subforum

WD just takes practice. took me a couple of weeks to get where i am. and also, it depends on the character. some characters are just easier than another. for example, most new players could probably already WD with IC or luigi, but not with link or falco

p.s. if you like something similar to my sig, just pm me

PWN-er

Smash Rookie
thanx but i cant find out what i do now, though.
dmtmanga said:
is it possible to grab someone while in the air?
and no you cant grab some one while youre in the air. you probably can only do that with AR or some crap. maybe not, though. who knows? (post if you know!)

chibifibi

Smash Apprentice
This question may have already been answered, but I'm not going through all 41 pages. (I did check through about 9 of them though)

How do you get out of grabs without waiting for the grab to, basically, wear off. I know it has something to do with DIing or Shielding or both. Does anyone know for sure?

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
When you get grabbed, you can get out as fast as your damage percentage allows it. To speed it up, you can mash buttons and spin the control stick as fast as possible, but your opponent ALWAYS has a chance to throw you before you escape, since nobody is fast enough to get out of the grab that quick.

DFA_Yoshi

Smash Rookie
this may have been on one of the 41 pages......which im too lazy to read.....lol. anyway....i need help on how to short hop......i just tap X quickly to do it and then i usually nair cause im yoshi.......but is there a way to do it better. i just need a tip or hint to do it better....

Zero34

Smash Lord
there isnt exactly a way to make short hopping easier. im not sure with specifics, but how i learned it was by going to FD in training mode and just SH back and forth through FD. after a while, it comes naturally. just remember that jump height is based on how long you hold it, not the pressure

DFA_Yoshi

Smash Rookie
oh ic wat ur sayin........i guess i just need to learn how to press the X button ligthly everytime.....so i can SH more often. thanks.

Alex13

Smash Journeyman
I need help with DI. I have read guides and I just don't really get it. If I understand it correctly, you smash the control stick any way you want after being hit and knocked flying, and you'll fly towards that direction???

phish-it

Smash Champion
Basically thats what it is. You don't have to 'smash' the stick though, just hold it in that direction. Depending on your damage, and character (and of course attack being hit by) you can influence the direction you go to some extent.

chibifibi

Smash Apprentice
Thanks NGCXX.
To DFA Yoshi: I've actually looked into this. From many experiments I did a while back, I've come to suspect that in order to small jump/short hop, you have to press the X or Y button twice as fast and half as deep as a normal jump.
By "half as deep", I mean don't push the button in all the way. I have yet to find the specifics for small jumping/short hopping, with the directional stick.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Shorthopping REALLY isn't done by just pressing the button half down. It's done by holding down the button for a set amount of frames or less (it differs per character, Fox is hardest). And by doing this, it may SEEM like you press the button half the way down, but that really doesn't matter at all.

Now check this, it's from Mew2King's almighty statistics list:

Jumping Speed - Jumping speed is how long it takes to do a jump from the ground. Every aerial jump (a.k.a. 2nd jump) takes 1 frame (starts instantaneously), as it's proven by the Screw Attack weapon, which hits anything nearby the EXACT INSTANT the character with the Screw Attack item jumps. Also, characters jump slower when they're big (Giant Melee and/or with a Super Mushroom) and they jump faster from the ground when they're small (Tiny Melee and/or with a Poison Mushroom)

Also please note that [for example] Fox (4 frames jumping speed) is in the AIR on frame 4+, so that means that the jumping ANIMATION (frames on the ground) is 3 frames for Fox.

4 frames - Fox / Ice Climbers / Kirby / Pichu / Pikachu / Samus / Sheik

5 frames - Captain Falcon / Dr. Mario / Luigi / Mario / Marth / Mr. Game & Watch / Ness / Young Link

6 frames - DK / Falco / Jigglypuff / Mewtwo / Peach / Roy / Yoshi

7 frames - Ganondorf / Link / Zelda

-

9 frames - Bowser

Hope you get it now...

Ryo242

Smash Ace
Ravenlord... The number is on the back of the disc <Where all the shiny stuff is...shiny...>
It should say DOL-GALE-0-0x somewhere there...

The x is 0, 1, or 2...meaning versions 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2.

RoyGBiv

Smash Rookie
Anyone got any tips or recommended characters for Events 20, 23, and 26-28. I tried using a variety of characters on these, yet I can't find that right one, or maybe a certain strategy. I think Roy might be good for 20, but I usually am worn out by Captain Falcon's fast moves and the limited stage space. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

RoyGBiv

Smash Rookie
Event 20 is All Star Match 2 with Samus, Link, Zelda, Captain Falcon, and Fox
Event 23 is Slippy's Invention where Fox and Falco are invisible the entire time
Event 26 is Trophy Tussle 2 on top of Entei and one cpu guards the head the whole time-random characters
Event 27 is Cold Armor with metal samus' but the player is normal and 1 stock life versus cpu's 2 stock lives and i believe it is on brinstar depths with Kraid
Event 28 is Puffballs Unite! with 15 Kirbys each portraying a character
Thanks

Nemesis Enforcer

Smash Journeyman
alright, somebody more skilled might be able to help you (ie, tricking the computer to follow you and then killing them easily like in cruel melee), but here you go:

With these events, I always think of ways to cheap kill somebody (fox shine, falco spike, jiggly sleep, marth's tip, roy's fire slash thing, Link's spinning attack on the ground, etc.).
With that said, if you have a hard time avoiding damage, I would avoid light characters.
20-I think I am usually Marth or Roy with these ones and use tactics mentioned above. Always try to use the level to your advantage.
23-Try Marth or maybe Ganondorf (aerial forwards and purple kick things to send them flying) Sometimes one get's killed easily via suicide...Also, maybe doc or mario with the cape for cheap kills vs their flame attack
26-Need a better explanation
27-What level is this? Usually the best thing to do against metal characters is give them a little damage and then stay close to the ledge and grab them and then throw them off. They have a hell of a time getting back on bc they are so heavy.
28-Marth, Roy, Ganon, Fox up attacks, Link, Falco with above mentioned tactics

Two things to keep in mind: sometimes, you just need to be lucky; sometimes, just use your best character (ex: I'll just go crazy with Sheik)
Sorry I can't be more specific, I need the game with me for more details. Let me know what works and what doesn't.

RoyGBiv

Smash Rookie
thanks guys. I beat event 20 with Ganondorf- I sacrificed speed and finesse for raw power. still having some trouble with 23 though. Ill check that site out Zero34.

Zero34

Smash Lord
Event 20: just use your main to get through it, if you wanna set a real record, use jiggly
Event 23: i hated this one. i beat it using DK with i was a noob i think. or maybe it was marth
Event 26: i advise your main
Event 27: watch the link on the first site of this event and you will see how easy it is
Event 28: roy

so yeah, not THAT difficult, except the slippy one IMO if you dont use jiggly

RoyGBiv

Smash Rookie
I watched some vids-i did not get to awtch the single one i needed to(27) because my stupid computer would not load the codec for it. Ill try a different computer some time. I beat 20 yesterday, and thanks to your help I should be able to beat the rest tonight ( I am not at home right now). I hate to push the envelope here and ask more questtions but could anyone explain bat dropping detailed enough for me to understand and/or execute it? I read something about the z button but I dont get it. Those vids were amazing. After watching the HRC, Events, and BtT on smashvids.be, I realized how much I suck. Yeah I've got characters and I have completed a lot, but nowhere near that fast or with such efficency...wow...

Tyson651

Smash Lord
RoyGBiv - go to www.microsoft.com and search for a codec for .avi (im assuming thats what ur codec error is about) and download the codec and u can watch the vids on windows media player

RoyGBiv

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys, I beat Events 1-30 now and I unlocked Luigi yesterday. My friend said that if I cleared Classic mode with the characters I would get Mr. Game and Watch. I don't have Pichu or Mewtwo yet though. Well, I beat them all and yet no Game and Watch. Do I have to unlock the other two characers, then beat Classic mode with them as well to unlock G & W? And, is there a better way to get Mewtwo because I only have 10 hours of 1-P time, like 3 hours of vs. time, and I really did not want to leave my gamecube running all night. However if I have to, do I just set it on vs., unlimited time, 2 humans players, then just let it go?
Oh well, feel free to answer part or all of my painstaking questions. Sorry.

Okurama

Smash Journeyman
Tijuana, CA (yeah, i know i change my location, AG
well yaeh, you need to have all the characters to unlock G&W, and the most simple way to unlock mewtwo is have 4 controlers, play and stock battle and leave it like that during 5 hours (cancel the time limit), and to get pichu just pass event 37 (legendary pokemon), how heres the tip, you have to battle vs a jigglipuff and ike 3 or 2 wireframes(i don't rememberhow many the where), the point is that theou need to kill all of them, the best way is to grap the pokeballs, how? like crazy (well i did it that way when i was a noob) .

Tyson651

Smash Lord
to get game and watch you have to unlock every character and beat classic mode with all of them.

to get mewtwo u leave a 1v1 (both humans) for 10 hours, theres nothing wrong with it though, u can turn off the tv and just let the game run, however, turn off all items and be sure to play in an environment safe stage (something like the bay, but dont stand on the turtle, and something not like brinstar depths)

RoyGBiv

Smash Rookie
I left my cube on last night for an hour, but it only put one hour on my vs. play time, and I had two controllers plugged in. Does it not account for multiple players?

Tyson651

Smash Lord
when you have two controllers plugged in, therefore, you have 2 players on a 1v1, as u build time during vs mode (out of pause of course, during gameplay) it builds for both characters, so if you leave it on for 1 hour when its a 1v1 with two human players, it will be 2 hours.

time count is for each/all player(s), and adds up.

RoyGBiv

Smash Rookie
I left my cube on for an hour just now, with two controllers, and it only added a hour to my vs. time count. Do I have some settings wrong or something? I see what you are saying, and it makes sense about each player, but mine is not doing that for some reason. I don't get why not...

Tyson651

Smash Lord
personally, i never even knew u could check your time count. lol.

i guess some factors that could affect it is that maybe urs is the old version? or something like that

how are you checking ur time count?

RoyGBiv

Smash Rookie
On the main manu, I go to Data, then Melee records, then Misc. records. It has all kinds of weird things, but it has 1-P time, vs. time, and combined vs. time- which one does it count? combined is the one you are talking about, but does that count towards mewtwo is what i am asking.

Oh, and I am pretty sure I have the newest version-I got it 3 weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom