• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "I need help with ___"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nytestryke24

Smash Rookie
Firstly, if this has already been posted and answered, sorry, but I really didn't want to go through 94 pages of stuff XD

Anyway, what's the best way to beat the following events (these may sound nooby, but for some reason I'm really struggling with them :embarrass)
EM17, EM26, EM27 and EM28.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Sorry but remind what the name of the events are. I don't want to go check out my game lol I'll be more that willing to help

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Cold Armor shouldn't be too hard if you keep your distance, use charge shots/ missiles, and a lot of dsmashes. The nair is solid but never shffl it here, nair with momentum so they do not get a chance to add any more damage.

For the trophy tussels, I used marth. just spam his fair fsmash and even his counter when need be. you face a random three cp's each time, so you might want to restart till you get some pushover opponents.

Bounty Hunters is pretty straight forward. You just need the ko on bowser, so be aggressive. drive in with nairs and smash attacks and get the ko before c falc.

puffballs unite, if you dont want to just use marth and use his ridiculous disjointed hitbox to make shortwork of them, you can go D.K. and jsut ground pound.

sorry i took so long to reply. your response was buried in my subscribed threads.

Nytestryke24

Smash Rookie
Thanks sooo much for your help, however I already completed Bounty Hunters earlier today, so that's one more off the list :)

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
A lot of the time you just kind of have to be used to how computers typically pursue and attack you. Then, you abuse that. Sirlin (hope everyone knows who dave sirlin is lol) wrote articles and a book on competitive gaming and one of his articles preaches about the use of walls in your strategy. Essentially, that equates to camping. Formissions with samus, you want to super missile the crap out of your opponent from afar, and then by the time they've gotten clsoe enough to the point that they've taken down your metaphorical wall, then you are still without damage, they are already hurt, and all you have to do is hit them with a smash attack and restart. The computers are really easy to abuse with these kinds of methods. Camp them all.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I've been learning to wave dash when i noticed something. I see my shield out in between dashes (i'm just getting it down, i haven't gone into practical application of it yet, so don't get me there if i shouldn't be dashing across the screen...)

Also, some of my dashes don't seem to go as far as they should, and I get roughly 1/2 the distance i see in videos.

[for both questions i have been using Capt. Falcon]

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
It's how long you are holding down the R/L buttons. You'll get used to it but you need to practice your angle. If you bring it closer to the horizontal, you should get your desired distance, but you'll really have to get used to it through practice.

I recommend practicing with Samus/Luigi to learn more about the mechanics of the wavedash and then practice applying it to your character of choice. As C Falc will take some getting used to.

When in doubt, look up "Advanced how to paly ssbm" and watch Wak's vid's on the advanced techniques of melee. Fantastic videos for beginners and people who jsut want to perfect their technique.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
It's how long you are holding down the R/L buttons.
i've drastically improved on this, thanks for the advice.

You'll get used to it but you need to practice your angle. If you bring it closer to the horizontal, you should get your desired distance, but you'll really have to get used to it through practice.
should i learn it the right way, or start with the wavedeash and work up to the right distance after i've got that? (thus far i've been working on the first of the two strategies, but if the latter is more effective/efficient, please inform me.)

I recommend practicing with Samus/Luigi to learn more about the mechanics of the wavedash and then practice applying it to your character of choice. As C Falc will take some getting used to.
So at what point should i switch over to my main? When I can wavedash back and forth across FD no prob? or earlier/later/my discretion?

When in doubt, look up "Advanced how to paly ssbm" and watch Wak's vid's on the advanced techniques of melee. Fantastic videos for beginners and people who jsut want to perfect their technique.
I'd already seen 1, and i've recently watched 2 and 3, good stuff.

Thank you for your time and advice, it's yielding great results.

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
1. Imo you should be able to WD across Final Destination with Luigi before you start applicating it to your game. Captain Falcon doesn't really use WD as a means to travel across the stage so practicing that with him is unneccesary. When I started out I began by WDing straight down, and then slowly altered the direction until I reached the peak.

2. After you can WD at any given time at a desireable length I'd say practicing with a friend would be ideal. For instance let your friend aim a shffled attack on you and dodge it with a WD. You can also try to WD out of the stage and grab the ledge.

(Again, Falcon's WD is pretty short and mostly used to stop a dash and simillar mind tricks, so I'd still practice with Luigi, Climbers, Samus at this point.)

3. Once you get that down I'm sure you will be able to find many ways to implement it in your matches (it will take some time though, so dont worry about it). However the natural extension to regular wave dashing is wave landing on platforms (and on the ground of course), which you can practice by yourself (with CF if you like).

Important to note is that characters have different jump prelag which means the timing for wave dashing will be slightly different. I believe Luigi has a 6 frame jump pre lag which means it's somewhat looser than Samus who has a jump pre lag of 4 frames (requires tighter button presses).

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
i've drastically improved on this, thanks for the advice.

should i learn it the right way, or start with the wavedeash and work up to the right distance after i've got that? (thus far i've been working on the first of the two strategies, but if the latter is more effective/efficient, please inform me.)

So at what point should i switch over to my main? When I can wavedash back and forth across FD no prob? or earlier/later/my discretion?

I'd already seen 1, and i've recently watched 2 and 3, good stuff.

Thank you for your time and advice, it's yielding great results.
There's no certain benchmark, but it has got to be when you are comfortable with the inputs. It is definitely important that once you understand how the WD works you start practicing it with your main. It may be something that you learn how to do moderately wlel, and improve on through your matches as you learn why C Falc's WD is useful. Sometimes you may not want a perfect WD, but I'm fairly certain you'll learn it best if you stick to it, practice it with your main, and practice it in a match with someone if you can, because it doesn't mean a thing if you can wavedsah across FD if you can't learn how to apply it in a match. Good luck man! I hope that was helpful.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
A buffering question*

*I searched for it, went through the first 6 pages of results, found no hopefuls, so i decided to ask here. If i somehow missed it, call me an idiot and please redirect me, i'm sure it's out there somewhere.

Is there any limit to how far ahead you can buffer inputs, assuming you have the speed to buffer them (in an infinite theoretical manner, i'm not saying it's possible, but if you can only do 1 or two buffers this would be good to know) Feel free to ask for question clarification, redirect me to another topic, or any other thing of that ilk that you feel would be appropriate.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
^unimportant- wasn't likely to get answered anyway.

Is the timing for l-canceling different when you hit an opponent vs when you don't hit anything. (this opponent is not shielding) Re-direction to the appropriate thread would also be greatly appreciated if it is preferred.

Thanks in advance.

(double post because this question would never be read if I edited...)

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
How can I play smash and record myself on the computer to put it on this site. I really want to know please reply asap.

thanks.

There is a good computer program called Pinnacle Dazzle. It hooks up to your TV and takes whatever is shown on the TV screen and records it onto your computer. My friend has it and its perfect for recording matches.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I use dazzle as well. get a two 2 female-1 male splitters, and a double sides AV cord so that you can link the games outputs into both the dazzle and the tv, so you can record your match with windows movie maker, and still see the game full screen on a tv.

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
DI - As I understand it, after you are sent flying (hitlag ended) all you can do is regular DI by holding the control stick the way you want to go (perpendicular to your flight path) and the time for quarter circling has passed. However I saw someone with quite a bit more experiance then me mashing the control stick all the way to their death. Am I right or do they know something I don't?

Tutubi

Smash Rookie
I can't seem to find "Powershielding Approaching Falco Lasers" in this thread. But yeah, what is the timing on powershielding the SHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom